Why Heavies Going Valley in Lakeville is a bad idea.

Lakeville Valley Heavies

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
39 replies to this topic

Dead_Baron #1 Posted Feb 11 2013 - 07:44

Captain

• Players
  • 28600 battles
  • [SHDWC] SHDWC
http://mwreplays.com/newreplaysimg/9858b5c189364e638b33ae31835fd086.png

Quite a classic ending.

Sadly the game was decided by force layout.

Agent_Smithx2 #2 Posted Feb 11 2013 - 08:32

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 24233 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC
There should be no more than 2-3 tanks holding valley period. (Td's on the cliff preferably) But noooo, HALF of the damn team go to the valley, a quarter camp in base and the other quarter goes to town. Town gets overrun, Valley force doesnt push, gets clogged up and killed, and the people in base get flanked, killed, and call everyone noobs because they died (due to their own stupidity)
Ofc reasonable suggestions at the beginning of the game, proper orders, or even yelling at the baddies have no effect (STFU NOOB I KNOW MY TANK BETTER THAN YOU)

mongoe #3 Posted Feb 11 2013 - 08:36

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 5447 battles
Definitely a map where you can tell if you have a chance of winning or not due to this very thing..I cant believe how many people still flock to valley here..

jerry1014 #4 Posted Feb 11 2013 - 08:45

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 11858 battles
  • [UFP] UFP

View PostDead_Baron, on Feb 11 2013 - 07:44, said:

http://mwreplays.com/newreplaysimg/9858b5c189364e638b33ae31835fd086.png

Quite a classic ending.

Sadly the game was decided by force layout.
Almost every match now there are more heavys going valley, its not like they havnt played the map before. Every map is played  a certain way, heavys here or there, meds,lights,etc, and some just want to be thick headed. Same with fishermans bay and the other maps with "cities", most heavys always go to city, its just standard practice. One messed up part when 5 of 6 heavys on your team go the val, they are usually held there by 1 or 2 heavys from enemy team and sit, instead of pushing through, while the city gets rolled by the rest of their heavys, then the idiots in valley try to race back to base to defending it, only to be shot to crap by the enemys tanks and arty that were defending the valley.=ANOTHER LOSS and a TOLD YOU SO !! And the really bad part is when there is a bunch of lowes and is6's on your team being played by ppl with only 600 battles, but they know better then you when you advise them where to go, I always get the, stfu noob, from them...ok, no problem.

Migizikody #5 Posted Feb 11 2013 - 08:46

Major

• Players
  • 22464 battles

View PostAgent_Smithx2, on Feb 11 2013 - 08:32, said:

There should be no more than 2-3 tanks holding valley period. (Td's on the cliff preferably) But noooo, HALF of the damn team go to the valley, a quarter camp in base and the other quarter goes to town. Town gets overrun, Valley force doesnt push, gets clogged up and killed, and the people in base get flanked, killed, and call everyone noobs because they died (due to their own stupidity)
Ofc reasonable suggestions at the beginning of the game, proper orders, or even yelling at the baddies have no effect (STFU NOOB I KNOW MY TANK BETTER THAN YOU)

Half?

how about 10+ and your the only medium watching the city, and the enemy still wins the valley....

Bah humbug  :Smile_sceptic:

Dead_Baron #6 Posted Feb 11 2013 - 09:09

Captain

• Players
  • 28600 battles
  • [SHDWC] SHDWC
Next highest damage on our team was 940 something.

Surely after getting to Tier 7 you've played this map long enough, say double figures to realise that you can't push valley because of the ridge?

The lemming effect in this game is stronger than any magnetic force known to man.

mattwong #7 Posted Feb 11 2013 - 09:26

Major

• Players
  • 18398 battles

View PostMigizikody, on Feb 11 2013 - 08:46, said:

Half?

how about 10+ and your the only medium watching the city, and the enemy still wins the valley....

Bah humbug  :Smile_sceptic:

That's one of the things that drives me crazy about this game: when a bunch of lemmings take 80% of the team's tactical power with them, leaving 20% to cover the rest of the map ... and they still fail.

Kroz1776 #8 Posted Feb 20 2013 - 21:43

Captain

• Players
  • 11303 battles
  • [GANDP] GANDP
There are certain parts of maps I ALWAYS go to because I know the majority of players will neglect that part of the map.  I've rarely lost a game in lakeville where my team neglected valley.

Driftin #9 Posted Feb 20 2013 - 21:54

Major

• Players
  • 20946 battles
This seems so simple but so many fail to comprehend it. It only takes one or two tanks to hold the valley with arty support, and a tank covering middle road who can flex to help valley if needed, long enough for the city to be won. Had a game yesterday where our E75, our only tier 9 heavy camped the valley. When we asked for his help in the city, his response was STFU noob. When 3 tanks, another baddie E75, a type 59, and a Lorraine came through the valley at the same time a medium came center, he ran back into cap getting shot in the ass and letting arty get killed. The worst part was, only the 59 was pushing and our E75 gave his backside to him and let arty get spotted. He was calling us all kinds of names. I was in a GWPanther and direct fire killed the Type while he did over 1k damage to the E75. The only reason we were able to win was the arty support we gave our guys in city since their guys in city were bad players who sat in exposed places. Our E75 got 1 shot for damage the whole game.  All maps are like this. A small defensive force on one side with an overwhelming offense on the other is the fastest path to victory.

Mizar_Panzer #10 Posted Feb 20 2013 - 22:00

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 3789 battles
  • [TT-C] TT-C
I'll summarise:

1. Valley terrain is classified as 'swamp' by the game engine, which means tanks loses a lot of mobility. Which means any attack down that way is very slow and the enemy can react easily.

2. The valley attack can be delayed at two chokepoints, one at the middle and one near their base which is very hard to break through.

3. In comparison, the city has at least three different route which allows encircling of enemy troops. Therefore, if you send a big team to valley and a small team to city, your big team in the valley will be 80% idle as they can't bring their gun to bear (due to the terrain and chokepoints) while your small team in the city will be encircled and crushed by the enemy big team, who will in turn kill your arty, then sandwitch and crush your valley noobs.

GollumsFish #11 Posted Feb 21 2013 - 10:48

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 7401 battles
  • [GANDP] GANDP
And then when they do all go valley, they mill around at the center E line until they gradually, one-by-one, each crest the hill on the E line and get picked off - one... by... stinking... one.

If you're going to be stupid and cross the E line - at least do it in force. Otherwise just accept that you're going to sit and wait for the other team to be stupid enough to cross the E line first.

Of course, if you put 8 of your tanks in the valley, you've kind of ruled out "smart" as an option already, and I guess you might as well go for it....

noupperlobeman #12 Posted Feb 25 2013 - 12:29

Major

• Players
  • 10964 battles
  • [KOOL] KOOL
Slow heavies are allowed in valley. Anything with reasonable speed needs to head for city.

I can make an allowance for low tier heavies in the valley as well. Had some of my best battles in tier 8 by going valley in my 1s.

Jesse_the_Scout #13 Posted Feb 26 2013 - 05:51

Captain

• Players
  • 19378 battles
  • [PX] PX
I cringe every time I see a swarm of lights and mediums head straight for the valley.  I want to reach through my interweb wire and strangle them.

WoT needs a special American map that plays on the NA server only.  One big, featureless, flat plain where even the pubs can figure out what to do.

Viruzzz #14 Posted Feb 27 2013 - 11:54

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 10564 battles
  • [TORIP] TORIP

View PostJesse_the_Scout, on Feb 26 2013 - 05:51, said:

I cringe every time I see a swarm of lights and mediums head straight for the valley.  I want to reach through my interweb wire and strangle them.

WoT needs a special American map that plays on the NA server only.  One big, featureless, flat plain where even the pubs can figure out what to do.
on a map like that noone would be ableto figure out what to do ironically.

mattwong #15 Posted Feb 27 2013 - 12:15

Major

• Players
  • 18398 battles

View PostViruzzz, on Feb 27 2013 - 11:54, said:

on a map like that noone would be ableto figure out what to do ironically.

All the heavy tanks, TDs, and artillery would stay well out of visual range and wait for targets to appear for engagement, so the game would be decided by whose scouts get close enough to spot and live the longest.  Everyone else's contributions would be determined mostly by the RNG, and everyone else would play German tanks for their long-range accuracy.

Masterstealth #16 Posted Feb 27 2013 - 12:16

Major

• Players
  • 2623 battles

at the baddies have no effect (STFU NOOB I KNOW MY TANK BETTER THAN YOU)

They probably do  :Smile_trollface-3:

ThirtyK94 #17 Posted Feb 27 2013 - 19:36

Sergeant

• Players
  • 10345 battles
  • [LIGS] LIGS
In my heavies I tend to avoid the quagmire valley at all costs. Why? They become sitting ducks for arty and tds with them being bogged down in the muck of that swamp. Lesson one of WoT avoid Lakeville valley in a heavy at all costs. Two never engage a German tank at range, you will lose. Three never engage a Soviet tank at close range, you will lose. Well that's class for today students, happy tanking!  :Smile_Default:

rustyshackelford3000 #18 Posted Feb 27 2013 - 19:46

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 18256 battles
  • [T-D] T-D
You have to consider tank speed when choosing where to go.  If you get to the city too late then it is just asbig of a waste.

Hellhathfury #19 Posted Feb 27 2013 - 21:09

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 15313 battles
  • [SOLAR] SOLAR

I agree with you. I hardly EVER go to the valley, even with my heavies. I almost always go to the city with my heavies, because I know the valley is going to be a death trap with the arty sitting behind it.

View PostThirtyK94, on Feb 27 2013 - 19:36, said:

In my heavies I tend to avoid the quagmire valley at all costs. Why? They become sitting ducks for arty and tds with them being bogged down in the muck of that swamp. Lesson one of WoT avoid Lakeville valley in a heavy at all costs. Two never engage a German tank at range, you will lose. Three never engage a Soviet tank at close range, you will lose. Well that's class for today students, happy tanking!

I agree with you, too. That area don't even LOOK like a fricken swamp, yet the tanks get slowed down? Pfft.

Edited by Hellhathfury, Feb 27 2013 - 21:10.

Espresso11 #20 Posted Mar 09 2013 - 16:02

Corporal

• Players
  • 5968 battles
  • [HDC] HDC
I agree with most here stating that the valley only needs to be held by a 4 or 5 tank team (one arty, two TDs, one thick turreted heavy to peek and a med).

But if you happen to be on a lemming team that all decides to go valley, try your hardest to convince them to all keep rolling over that crest and not stop.  I know giving direction to baddie pubs is a challenge in itself.

Sometimes you can even take valley with your small defending force if you happen to notice the enemy has left valley weak.  But again, this takes coordination and some minor communication with the tanks around you.  If youre lucky, the few guys driving tanks next to you will know what to do and when to do it.