• This topic is locked This topic is locked
119 replies to this topic

Relics #81 Posted Feb 13 2013 - 02:38

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 12292 battles
  • [-G-] -G-

View Postjdude8, on Feb 13 2013 - 02:22, said:

No point arguing with you. Just go through other games in WCG and you would know USA is not even sending a team to those competitions .There must be a reason, right?

Eh? USA had a team for FIFA, SC2, and Crossfire. The only games that we didn't have a team for was DOTA2 and WC3.

TheGreenTank #82 Posted Feb 13 2013 - 02:47

Major

• Players
  • 23126 battles
  • [MEMES] MEMES
Definitely looking forward to going for this!

Oilcruzer #83 Posted Feb 13 2013 - 03:19

Sergeant

• Players
  • 9069 battles
Wouldn't it be cool if this evolved into a weekly, made for TV event?   I mean, people watch poker or even chess on TV.

Conflict #84 Posted Feb 13 2013 - 04:08

Captain

• WGLNA Gold League Player
  • 12505 battles
  • [-G-] -G-

View PostSunBurn1, on Feb 13 2013 - 01:47, said:

Attacking on my ego? You fail. My stats are on display and they are what they are. This is just a game, I play for fun.

This issue is not about competition or measuring up. Participating in this e-Olympics is a full time task which would require giving up your life and job just to practice, just like a real sport. It is possible for live at home kids to attempt. Similar to the disadvantaged kids who dream of getting an NBA contract, 99.99% of whom fail. In fact you have a better chance of winning a lottery. I will not be giving up my day job for this. This event will most likely end up botched and unfair (2.5 mil is a lot of money. You are naive if you think it will be a fair and square competition).

How about coming up with ideas that caters to players who pay to keep the game afloat and profitable instead of e-Olympics for broke live at home kids with mommy's credit cards?

As I said, we went to Moscow with 0 practice. WCG, 0 practice. It's not that hard to put a bit more effort if you have the talent. This game really isn't that deep.

Those of us who consider winning as "fun" appreciate the esports initiative - assuming its done right.

Edited by Conflict, Feb 13 2013 - 04:18.

XiangPotato #85 Posted Feb 13 2013 - 04:22

Sergeant

• Players
  • 29590 battles

View PostNemasys, on Feb 12 2013 - 15:55, said:

Yes that goes for the VERY vast majority of players.  Even for those top clans you mentioned, past tournaments have shown it is very difficult to beat the best of the Russians.  Just like baseball, hockey, and other sports, a lot of people play, only a few have a chance to "smell the money" so no different here.

I would be interested to see how some of our best players could do though.  Our top players have the stats equivalent to a lot of Russian top players, but a lot less chance here to play against a variety of good teams due to our population.  It would require an adjustment for sure.

Also the time requirement to compete with the best would be very high and take out a lot of people.

I doubt those 'top players' would be the best if WG disabled their mod packs and blocked Prem ammo from the Playoffs...as the NA's servers talent pool already indicates when XVM is down for a day...

Top 2000 atm, 5 Prem shells PER TANK, no gold consumables, no hitskin /foliage removers, and as many solo pubbie battles as I can do in 3 hrs a day[for bills/XP]. And my account has been nonPrem for 2 months now...
I don't think those clans are so good.

The best, play with handicaps and still beat 'the best'.

And the "prize pool" is 2.5mil, not one prize...that would be dumb. But also not ironic knowing WG.
oo7

Edited by Lusulpher, Feb 13 2013 - 04:28.

ElvenLord #86 Posted Feb 13 2013 - 04:27

Major

• Players
  • 14844 battles
  • [LABS] LABS

View PostLusulpher, on Feb 13 2013 - 04:22, said:

I doubt those 'top players' would be the best if WG disabled their mod packs and blocked Prem ammo from the Playoffs...as the NA's servers talent pool already indicates when XVM is down for a day...

Top 2000 atm, 5 Prem shells PER TANK, no gold consumables, no hitskin /foliage removers, and as many solo pubbie battles as I can do in 3 hrs a day[for bills/XP]. And my account has been nonPrem for 2 months now...
I don't think those clans are so good.

The best, play with handicaps and still beat 'the best'.

Upset much?

XiangPotato #87 Posted Feb 13 2013 - 04:36

Sergeant

• Players
  • 29590 battles

View PostElvenLord, on Feb 13 2013 - 04:27, said:

Upset much?

Yes, actually. WoT can never be an eSport. Their RNG is horrid, the MM has terrible proportion, and the Pay To Win aspect is encroaching on tactics and strategy.

Buy OP tank, load Prem, make OP Platoon, snipe all thickest armour to shreds, repeat. Oh look you have won. Congrats.

I'm running into people in T10s who don't know how to dodge arty hits crossing open terrain...because they have camo equippedTOEVERYTHING from months of statpadding...
And 70%ers who flee a base defense they can win, so they can risk a capture for efficiency points...or worse killsteal on a solo finish...

That's embarrassing to have them be the creme de la creme IN ANY GAME. That crap belongs in COD.
Good day to you sir.
And 47% WR means you are HURTING your teams WITH YOUR PRESENCE...game is FILLED with trashtalkers like you who fight their team's advice harder than the enemy.

Edited by Lusulpher, Feb 13 2013 - 04:40.

ElvenLord #88 Posted Feb 13 2013 - 04:48

Major

• Players
  • 14844 battles
  • [LABS] LABS

View PostLusulpher, on Feb 13 2013 - 04:36, said:

Yes, actually. WoT can never be an eSport. Their RNG is horrid, the MM has terrible proportion, and the Pay To Win aspect is encroaching on tactics and strategy.

Buy OP tank, load Prem, make OP Platoon, snipe all thickest armour to shreds, repeat. Oh look you have won. Congrats.

I'm running into people in T10s who don't know how to dodge arty hits crossing open terrain...because they have camo equippedTOEVERYTHING from months of statpadding...
And 70%ers who flee a base defense they can win, so they can risk a capture for efficiency points...or worse killsteal on a solo finish...

That's embarrassing to have them be the creme de la creme IN ANY GAME. That crap belongs in COD.
Good day to you sir.
And 47% WR means you are HURTING your teams WITH YOUR PRESENCE...game is filled with trashtalkers like you who fight their team's advice harder than the enemy.

Given it's popularity and the fact that it was accepted by the WGC, I would say that WoT is well on its way to being an Esport

So, someone who has a 70% winrate is statpadding?? Really?

And well, that didn't take long for my Stats to come up. Nice to see that people cannot have reasonable discussions about anything without stats being brought up...

ed_anger #89 Posted Feb 13 2013 - 04:50

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 13971 battles
  • [-G-] -G-

not getting eSport concept. tournaments, no matchmaker, everyone using gold ammo. organized teams only, get it?

your terrible pub experiences are irrelevant.

lord_farquad #90 Posted Feb 13 2013 - 04:55

Private

• Players
  • 15344 battles

View PostOilcruzer, on Feb 13 2013 - 03:19, said:

Wouldn't it be cool if this evolved into a weekly, made for TV event?   I mean, people watch poker or even chess on TV.

...that would be cool.....  :Smile-hiding:

battleaxe0 #91 Posted Feb 13 2013 - 05:22

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 6784 battles
With the current latency issues, the players will be frustrated and the winner will be suspect.

burning_phoneix #92 Posted Feb 13 2013 - 06:58

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 7030 battles

Good day to you sir.
And 47% WR means you are HURTING your teams WITH YOUR PRESENCE...game is FILLED with trashtalkers like you who fight their team's advice harder than the enemy.

MM is a no factor in tournaments since everyone picks their tanks. Pay to Win is also a non factor since everyone is loading gold in tournaments and since gold shells are no longer gold only, just grind a bit before the tournament to get your tourney tank with the prem ammo needed.

That's two of your complaints right there.

Conflict #93 Posted Feb 13 2013 - 08:28

Captain

• WGLNA Gold League Player
  • 12505 battles
  • [-G-] -G-

Good day to you sir.

So much e-rage and complete lack of reading the OP.

View Posted_anger, on Feb 13 2013 - 04:50, said:

not getting eSport concept. tournaments, no matchmaker, everyone using gold ammo. organized teams only, get it?

your terrible pub experiences are irrelevant.
To be fair, RNG is pretty bad.

View Postlord_farquad, on Feb 13 2013 - 04:55, said:

...that would be cool.....  :Smile-hiding:

A little ninja told me about something.

Edited by Conflict, Feb 13 2013 - 08:29.

Lurch_454 #94 Posted Feb 13 2013 - 10:50

Corporal

• Players
  • 3039 battles

View PostHirumaru, on Feb 12 2013 - 21:12, said:

Profession eSports League for an "arcade strategy RPG" game with RNG out the ass?

Wargaming is getting more and more schizophrenic by the day.

Forget the payouts. This is just advertising and money-grubbing. You want to attract flocks of people to WoT, hoping they'll buy SOMETHING before they leave in disgust, so that you can make a pretty penny sooner rather than later.

DITTO!

DownloadingData #95 Posted Feb 13 2013 - 13:35

Corporal

• Players
  • 6439 battles

View PostRidge512, on Feb 13 2013 - 00:06, said:

But playing video games all day is different. It doesn't improve your body or your brain.

Holy shit. Please go back to living in the 20th century. That kind of thinking is so backwards I do not even know how to begin to comment on it. Get out more, read more. This is the second decade of the 21st. E-sports nowadays is as accepted and reputable a career choice as with any other professions. In fact, in my opinion, it's in a lot better shape than actual sports which is completely riddled with drug and substance abuses.

Yankee #96 Posted Feb 13 2013 - 13:46

Major

• Council of Armored Forces
  • 23474 battles
  • [-G-] -G-

View PostDownloadingData, on Feb 13 2013 - 13:35, said:

In fact, in my opinion, it's in a lot better shape than actual sports which is completely riddled with drug and substance abuses.

I think there is a fair amount of drug abuse in the internet gaming world.

DownloadingData #97 Posted Feb 13 2013 - 14:24

Corporal

• Players
  • 6439 battles

View PostYankee, on Feb 13 2013 - 13:46, said:

I think there is a fair amount of drug abuse in the internet gaming world.

What i meant was that no amount of 'performance enhancing' drug is going to win you a micro battle in starcraft2 vs. a cycling match or weight lifting competition. So in terms of 'fair play', it is not a prevalent problem for esports. What the players do in their leisure time is their own freedom and should not come under scrutiny from the public.

battleaxe0 #98 Posted Feb 13 2013 - 18:28

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 6784 battles

View PostDownloadingData, on Feb 13 2013 - 14:24, said:

What i meant was that no amount of 'performance enhancing' drug is going to win you a micro battle in starcraft2 vs. a cycling match or weight lifting competition. So in terms of 'fair play', it is not a prevalent problem for esports. What the players do in their leisure time is their own freedom and should not come under scrutiny from the public.
In weightlifting, the weights are the same.  In computer games, that's not necessarily so.  When the central computer is the arbiter of every action, as in WoT, it's even easier to meddle.  Think about how much money WoT could make manipulating outcomes in Vegas betting.  With pro sports, you have to convince a number of players to throw a game to get your long odds win.  With WoT, the fix is already in the game.

ed_anger #99 Posted Feb 13 2013 - 19:17

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 13971 battles
  • [-G-] -G-

View Postbattleaxe0, on Feb 13 2013 - 18:28, said:

Think about how much money WoT could make manipulating outcomes in Vegas betting.

Posted Image

Hibernus_Mortis #100 Posted Feb 13 2013 - 21:37

Corporal

• Players
  • 11093 battles
I see e-gaming very much becoming part of the sports community within the next 20 years or so, and growing steadily.
Just as in professional sports vs amateurs, 99.5% of the people that play the game will never make it "professionally".
  How many arm chair quarterbacks are there in the USA? How many people play little scrimmage games on the weekends or play in organized amateur leagues of any type of sport, be it football baseball, hockey etc. These numbers could be compared to how mnay play online games and how many will actually "make it" when it comes to playing games professionally online. Remember all of the huge sports games now followed by 10's of millions of people world wide all started out as small amateur get-togethers, with no one ever dreaming of the huge payouts that players playing as pros get these days.
  With the much wider variety of games, as there are actual sports, many will fail at there attempts but a few will prevail and grow large fan bases. WoT may or not be one of these, only time will tell.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users