Player Spotlight; a Q&A with Lert

Player Interview Spotlight

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
18 replies to this topic

Quesnel #1 Posted Feb 13 2013 - 14:18

Captain

• Players
  • 0 battles
By popular request, here is Lert.

Q. I have a Dutch friend named Gert, pronounced "He-It". So Lert, sounds like it looks?

Lert. Actually, being dutch, I know how 'Gert' is supposed to be pronounced. He's likely just letting you get away with your pronunciation because the dutch 'G' sound does not exist in english and is very difficult for english speaking people to pronounce.

As for 'Lert', just pronounce it the english way. It's originally from an english pun, to begin with: "Be alert. The world needs more Lerts."

Q. If you weren't playing World of Tanks, what other game would be filling your time?

Lert. Probably multiple. I'd spend more time in the various Mass Effect games, Skyrim, Warthunder, Company of Heroes, etc.

Q. Do you prefer the pre or post physics version of the game?

Lert. Post. This is not even close. Physics improved so much in this game it's not even funny anymore. It was a much needed injection of fresh-ness.

Q. For the sake of balance, which tank do you think WOT got it close? Which tank is not even in the ballpark?

This is very much an arcade game. None of the tanks really behave like they would IRL, which is a much slower and more methodical type of fighting. Atleast, I assume it is, not having served and not having been in an actual war. No, I can't really comment on which tanks WoT got close and which not.

Q. Was there a tank you just couldn't get out of fast enough?

Lert. There were some tanks that made me quit their respective tech trees, yes. SU-100 comes to mind. M10 Wolverine did as well. VK4502 Ausf. A, originally. A-20. however, many of those I revisited later with more experience under my belt and found a new appreciation for. I never hated the Lee, came to enjoy the Wolvie and the Ausf. Still dislike the A-20 though.

But if I have to mention a single tank that was more grind than fun, it would have to be the Churchill VII.

Q. Since it's introduction into World of Tanks, you have been the most vocal champion for the TOG II*. Why?

Lert. Despite all its faults, I really enjoy playing the TOG II*. I don't mind really slow tanks, and TOG has enough going for it to balance out it's slowness. However, it's also a lot of fun to play against, with its low armor, rapid fire gun and large hitpoint pool. It's just a good, solid, fun tank regardless of whether you're driving it or fighting it. It's a win-win.

Q. You have written a large number of guides to help the playerbase to be informed, and improve their gameplay. What has been the general response to them?

Lert. Generally loved. I still get PM's every now and then from people who wish to thank me for my guides, whether on the forum or in the game. Some of my guides get quoted by other people in their answer to newbies asking questions. Some of my guides keep getting bumped to the top.

Q. As a forum presence, you have developed quite a following among the playerbase. What are you thoughts on this?

Lert. Mostly, I'm amused by this. Surprised, to an extent, as well. After all, I don't profile myself as a particularly 'nice' person but a bit of an ass. This is mostly just an act though, a mask I wear, and done as much out of a sense of humor as well as one of my own personal flaws: a complete lack of patience for idiocy.

Q. Okay, what's with that cat in your avatar?

Lert. Originally it was just an "Ok, I'll just use this one until I find a better one" kind of deal. I'd just found that gif, and at first it kinda disturbed me, like it was staring into my soul. Then as I started to become more wellknown on the forum, that cat avatar started to represent me as a poster, started to become synonymous with my trolling and my antics. Whether you love or hate my posts, whether you like or dislike me as a poster, that staring cat gif has come to represent me. I've been offered gold once to change it. But, no. I'm not gonna.

.. Or, maybe, not enough gold has been offered yet.

Q. You are on a deserted island, when you find a bottle, and free the genie inside. This genie, who looks a lot like SerB, grants you a single wish to change one thing in/about World of Tanks. Your wish?

Lert. Hmmmmmmm.

Competitive DPM and a light armor increase (+10mm all around) for Maus.

Ladies and gentlemen, Lert for Supreme Omnipotent Intergalactic Overlord.

Edited by Quesnel, Feb 13 2013 - 14:20.

NavySnipers #2 Posted Feb 13 2013 - 14:23

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostQuesnel, on Feb 13 2013 - 14:18, said:

Lert. Originally it was just an "Ok, I'll just use this one until I find a better one" kind of deal. I'd just found that gif, and at first it kinda disturbed me, like it was staring into my soul.Then as I started to become more wellknown on the forum, that cat avatar started to represent me as a poster, started to become synonymous with my trolling and my antics. Whether you love or hate my posts, whether you like or dislike me as a poster, that staring cat gif has come to represent me. I've been offered gold once to change it. But, no. I'm not gonna.

.. Or, maybe, not enough gold has been offered yet.

Posted Image

TheRonmasteh #3 Posted Feb 13 2013 - 14:31

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles
Jokes on the cat. I have no soul. :3

Dayus #4 Posted Feb 13 2013 - 14:36

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles
Lert needs to poast heres

Hristosko #5 Posted Feb 13 2013 - 14:36

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles
"Lert for Supreme Omnipotent Intergalactic Overlord. "

What should this mean O_o

Masterstealth #6 Posted Feb 13 2013 - 14:38

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles
" Lert. Mostly, I'm amused by this. Surprised, to an extent, as well. After all, I don't profile myself as a particularly 'nice' person but a bit of an ass."

Garbad is a complete prick but he has a lot of followers

NavySnipers #7 Posted Feb 13 2013 - 14:39

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostMasterstealth, on Feb 13 2013 - 14:38, said:

" Lert. Mostly, I'm amused by this. Surprised, to an extent, as well. After all, I don't profile myself as a particularly 'nice' person but a bit of an ass."

Garbad is a complete prick but he has a lot of followers

They're both usually right.

WarPaintSmitty #8 Posted Feb 13 2013 - 14:42

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles
Another nice Q&A Quesnel, nice to see something outside of the normal anti arty, wheres my type 59 and other blather

XZ27 #9 Posted Feb 13 2013 - 14:43

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles

By popular request, here is Lert.

Q. Since it's introduction into World of Tanks, you have been the most vocal champion for the TOG II*. Why?

Lert. Despite all its faults, I really enjoy playing the TOG II*. I don't mind really slow tanks, and TOG has enough going for it to balance out it's slowness. However, it's also a lot of fun to play against, with its low armor, rapid fire gun and large hitpoint pool. It's just a good, solid, fun tank regardless of whether you're driving it or fighting it. It's a win-win.

I soooooo agree with him there. I'm a TOG lovin' player with him. We should make a clan called TOG.

Nithydux #10 Posted Feb 13 2013 - 14:48

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles
Why the Mods and Devs haven't communed to get Lert a new Forum title is beyond me.

I don't think there is a single person who comes close to his Wealth of Knowledge and Trolling ability.

MAYBE Garbad. But that's a stretch.

tvanderhart #11 Posted Feb 13 2013 - 14:54

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles
Is this the "controversial" thing that Lert mentioned yesterday?

Edit:  NVM.

Nicely done, Lert.

Edited by tvanderhart, Feb 13 2013 - 14:56.

Lert #12 Posted Feb 13 2013 - 15:05

Major

• Community Contributor
  • 0 battles
Nah, these questions and my answers weren't controversial at all. In fact, I found them rather tame.  :Smile-hiding:

winslow #13 Posted Feb 13 2013 - 15:10

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 0 battles
Whats a Lert anyways?  (And yes, I did read the post...)

Lert #14 Posted Feb 13 2013 - 15:22

Major

• Community Contributor
  • 0 battles

View Postwinslow, on Feb 13 2013 - 15:10, said:

Whats a Lert anyways?
Me.

DeathsArrow #15 Posted Feb 13 2013 - 15:27

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
:Smile_teethhappy:  @ by popular request

j/k love that Lert

CaguamaMkII #16 Posted Feb 13 2013 - 15:44

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles
cats rule!

Wraith27 #17 Posted Feb 13 2013 - 16:57

Captain

• Players
  • 0 battles
Out of the many Avatars in WoT, Lerts is very appropriate.  Don't be a baddie, Lert will see...

Fishrokk #18 Posted Feb 13 2013 - 23:58

Captain

• Players
  • 0 battles

"Be alert. The world needs more Lerts."for Supreme Omnipotent Intergalactic Overlord.

Que Jennifer Grey from Ferris Bueller's Day Off:
"I KNEW IT!"

DeathMutant #19 Posted Feb 14 2013 - 00:30

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
I always thought "Lert" was a play on "alert" because his avatar (cat) is extremely alert. Keep the avatar.