Need Advice

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
20 replies to this topic

Mish1 #1 Posted Feb 13 2013 - 14:26

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 5500 battles
  • [VPG] VPG
I am starting to get frustrated with this game even though I really like it.  I am trying to improve my gameplay however my win rate has been slipping over the past couple months.  I compare my stats against other players and it seems like my stats overall are pretty solid but I am finding it difficult to win.  I know people say to platoon but there are plenty of players who solo and have above average win rates.

Is there anything in my stats that shows a problem?  I started recording my gameplay recently and I am going to post some of my losses from last night later on today, hopefully some of you can watch and offer up some help.

I would appreciate any advice.

NavySnipers #2 Posted Feb 13 2013 - 14:30

Major

• Players
  • 20350 battles
  • [LABS] LABS
Well,  your average tier over the last 60 days is 6.96 (Close enough to 7)

Your average damage is 1243. Generally, tier 7's have 1000-1450 hp, so your damage output is a bit low. Your cap/defense point is also lower than normal.

Das_Schlippo #3 Posted Feb 13 2013 - 14:31

Major

• Players
  • 10840 battles
  • [VPG] VPG
You're pretty much in the same place I am, man.

I took almost a two months break out of frustration after I got my first tier 8.  I came back, spent another 90 days losing, losing and losing some more.

Then I posted this and got some great feedback: http://forum.worldof...00#entry3672800

It seems like this just kind of happens at this point in our "career" in WoT.  I do find that platooning with my clanmates eases the pain on nights where the wins just aren't coming.    If you want to go the clan route, hit me up.  I'll get you hooked up with some fun people to play with.

horvat13 #4 Posted Feb 13 2013 - 14:39

Sergeant

• Players
  • 14332 battles
  • [2BAD] 2BAD
I'm having long lossing streaks...Can't do much about it when your team score in first two minutes is 2-7 or even worse...Makes me frustrated.

Mish1 #5 Posted Feb 13 2013 - 14:40

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 5500 battles
  • [VPG] VPG

View PostNavySnipers, on Feb 13 2013 - 14:30, said:

Well,  your average tier over the last 60 days is 6.96 (Close enough to 7)
Your average damage is 1243. Generally, tier 7's have 1000-1450 hp, so your damage output is a bit low. Your cap/defense point is also lower than normal.

Thanks for the reply Navy.  So I am below average for damage and need to dish out more punishment.  That is good to know since I thought my damage output was average.

View PostDas_Schlippo, on Feb 13 2013 - 14:31, said:

You're pretty much in the same place I am, man.

I took almost a two months break out of frustration after I got my first tier 8.  I came back, spent another 90 days losing, losing and losing some more.

Then I posted this and got some great feedback: http://forum.worldof...00#entry3672800

It seems like this just kind of happens at this point in our "career" in WoT.  I do find that platooning with my clanmates eases the pain on nights where the wins just aren't coming. If you want to go the clan route, hit me up.  I'll get you hooked up with some fun people to play with.

I think I may take you up on that Schlip.  The only thing that makes me nervous with the clan/platoon route is that having a family makes it difficult to get game time in and I don't necessarily know when I might get time to play.  Sometimes I might only be able to sneak in a couple games a day and other times I will go days without playing.

Dayus #6 Posted Feb 13 2013 - 14:45

Major

• Players
  • 12412 battles
What tiers have you been playing?

View PostMish1, on Feb 13 2013 - 14:40, said:

Thanks for the reply Navy.  So I am below average for damage and need to dish out more punishment.  That is good to know since I thought my damage output was average.
Average is actually like 75% of your HP. Players that know what they are doing can manage up to 60% doing only their HP's worth, but that is mainly due to what they are doing on the field rather than actual damage. If you want to do consistently better solo you should do your HP's worth while being aggressive, or do 150% of you HP sniping. Do either consistently and your w/r should shoot up.

Admittedly the above is pretty hard, but if you can do it you should manage upper 50s w/r

WarPaintSmitty #7 Posted Feb 13 2013 - 14:50

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 5410 battles
I didn't check your tank list but could have as much to do with the tanks you're pursuing as anything. I have noticed slippage when i try a line that doesnt really suit my lower tier playstyle. Use one of the websites that lets you view your stats per tank to fine tune your future tanks if youre going to focus on the numbers. But then again im a noob stumbling through the same thing  :Smile_great:

rtp099 #8 Posted Feb 13 2013 - 15:00

Major

• Players
  • 7195 battles
  • [-B-Z-] -B-Z-
For the past 5-6 months I started focusing on what I believe are the 2 critical stats you have some real control over:

1. Hit rate: The more you hit, the more potential to cause damage = more xp / credits and a better chance of kills and  helping your team win the match. Be sure to take your time and aim for the weak spots.

2. Survival rate: the longer you live, the more potential to do damage and/or capping opportunities and thus helping your team win. Learn the maps and the tactical locations that work best for the type of tank you are playing to maximize it's strengths.

I have focused on these 2 key areas and in the last 6 months my win rate has gone from 44% to 50%. I also use xvm to help me determine who on my team I can more likely rely and who on the opposition I need to be most concerned over. On the few nights and week-ends that seem to have the most window lickers playing, If I have a bit of time I'll try to platoon with some clan mates to help keep my sanity from the overwhelming stupidity that runs amok in those hours.

btw: I only play about 30-60 minutes every other day or so due to my family and career responsibilities so bringing my win rate up quicker is pretty much not going to happen...  :Smile_Default:

Das_Schlippo #9 Posted Feb 13 2013 - 15:08

Major

• Players
  • 10840 battles
  • [VPG] VPG

View PostMish1, on Feb 13 2013 - 14:40, said:

The only thing that makes me nervous with the clan/platoon route is that having a family makes it difficult to get game time in and I don't necessarily know when I might get time to play.  Sometimes I might only be able to sneak in a couple games a day and other times I will go days without playing.

That's the way it is for me too.  I play about 3 nights a week.  It doesn't really matter with the crew I'm in.

Wunderwaffen1945 #10 Posted Feb 13 2013 - 15:09

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 4803 battles
  • [_TOW_] _TOW_
All of us have our bad days.....dont worry, they'll pass

Mish1 #11 Posted Feb 13 2013 - 15:12

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 5500 battles
  • [VPG] VPG

View PostDayus, on Feb 13 2013 - 14:45, said:

What tiers have you been playing?

Average is actually like 75% of your HP. Players that know what they are doing can manage up to 60% doing only their HP's worth, but that is mainly due to what they are doing on the field rather than actual damage. If you want to do consistently better solo you should do your HP's worth while being aggressive, or do 150% of you HP sniping. Do either consistently and your w/r should shoot up.
Admittedly the above is pretty hard, but if you can do it you should manage upper 50s w/r

I am primarily playing Tier 6, 7, and 8. That is good to know about the damage thanks.

View PostWarPaintSmitty, on Feb 13 2013 - 14:50, said:

I didn't check your tank list but could have as much to do with the tanks you're pursuing as anything. I have noticed slippage when i try a line that doesnt really suit my lower tier playstyle. Use one of the websites that lets you view your stats per tank to fine tune your future tanks if youre going to focus on the numbers. But then again im a noob stumbling through the same thing  :Smile_great:

I am trying to grind out multiple lines currently, maybe that is the problem since I am not focusing on one tank type?  I am currently grinding a US Tier 7 TD, a Tier 8 Russian Heavy, and a US Tier 7 Medium.

Dayus #12 Posted Feb 13 2013 - 15:20

Major

• Players
  • 12412 battles

View PostMish1, on Feb 13 2013 - 15:12, said:

I am trying to grind out multiple lines currently, maybe that is the problem since I am not focusing on one tank type?  I am currently grinding a US Tier 7 TD, a Tier 8 Russian Heavy, and a US Tier 7 Medium.
Its more of being able to play the tanks right, and not play the tank as a heavy when its not, or as a td when its not. If you only play one tank at a time it makes it so its easier not to. If you don't have that problem you don't have to.

ArmorStorm #13 Posted Feb 13 2013 - 15:25

Major

• Players
  • 25393 battles
  • [SF-V] SF-V

View PostMish1, on Feb 13 2013 - 15:12, said:

I am primarily playing Tier 6, 7, and 8. That is good to know about the damage thanks.

THis can be an issue. You might try playing only one tank type each time you play.

Charly_Bad #14 Posted Feb 13 2013 - 15:57

Corporal

• Players
  • 401 battles

View PostWunderwaffen1945, on Feb 13 2013 - 15:09, said:

All of us have our bad days.....dont worry, they'll pass

Congratulations, great answer!  :Smile_great:

Mish1 #15 Posted Feb 13 2013 - 16:12

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 5500 battles
  • [VPG] VPG

View PostCharly_Bad, on Feb 13 2013 - 15:57, said:

Congratulations, great answer!  :Smile_great:

What about a bad two months with a steadily declining win rate?

Das_Schlippo #16 Posted Feb 13 2013 - 16:22

Major

• Players
  • 10840 battles
  • [VPG] VPG
Upper tier games are played differently.  It takes a while to adjust your game.

JLK_250 #17 Posted Feb 13 2013 - 16:28

Major

• Players
  • 23925 battles
  • [GMONK] GMONK
You seem to be doing quite well so I wouldn't stress out too much.  The sample size is not very big and your WR drop is not that big of a deal, IMO.  Maybe you didn't deserve the WR you had going, maybe things have gotten harder in higher tiers, maybe you're playing tanks that aren't as good as the ones you had been playing, or maybe it's just a fluctuation that will even out over time.  Just keep doing what you're doing and try to improve all the time.  I wish I was where you are when I had 2300 battles!

PanzerKriegen39 #18 Posted Feb 13 2013 - 16:45

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 19902 battles
Since last weekend I have had the longest losing streak ever. I'm moving to a new clan so I can platoon more. The solo pubs are killing me. I look at the XVM stats at the beginning of the matches and 7 or 8 teams in a row MM loads the other team with better players. I actually stopped playing Saturday morning it was so bad and didn't come back on until Monday night. Same thing started over, 7 or 8 teams in a row loaded with bads while the other team was loaded with good players. They need to start looking at players skill levels to make teams up, you can't give 1 team 12 really really bad players with 3 decent players a match against a team with 6, 55% or aboves, 4 decents, and 5 bads and call that fair. To top it all off do that 8 times in a row with the same tank, I didn't even switch tanks. I could understand the randomness if I was switching tanks but come on, something is up.

Grey_Owl #19 Posted Feb 13 2013 - 16:46

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 660 battles

View PostMish1, on Feb 13 2013 - 16:12, said:

What about a bad two months with a steadily declining win rate?

That is very strange.....If you R continually playing at the same "learning-level" (more or less "plateauing"), then in theory, your losses would cancel out your wins...right? If they are declining over a long period of time, calling it "bad teams" all the time should be a strange improbability...right..? It is a team game, however, when i notice strange patterns like this ..it makes me think too......

And in theory...if you are continually learning and improving your game...then you should be doing better in the long run. If this isn't happening, it would make me think someting was wrong too.

2 straight months..? wow...that does seem odd....?

Edited by Grey_Owl, Feb 13 2013 - 16:51.

Orion03 #20 Posted Feb 15 2013 - 02:31

Captain

• Players
  • 9516 battles
looking at your recent stats here:

http://www.mywotstat...w/1002637185/NA

Your WN6 rate of 1230 is good.

If you are still losing battles and have a falling win rate, I'll put it down to situational awareness,

I.e. doing damage etc to the right tanks, and been in the right place at the right time.

How big do you have your mini map? Are you caught unawares when the Red team starts to cap and so on?

I run my mini map big, and I run a mod that gives me tank names, e.g. http://forum.worldof...nimap-gen-2-83/

your defence points are also low..... do you get capped out a lot?

Oh and try to live longer, 30% is decent, but you really should try and get that up further, the longer you live, the more you can influence the match.

Ever died and watched in horror as a 42% player tries to win a match..... yeah not pretty.

Edited by Orion03, Feb 15 2013 - 02:36.