[Guide] Optimise Your Computer

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
17 replies to this topic

iRoik #1 Posted Dec 10 2010 - 14:39

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 4068 battles
Hi,

I've searched the forums, but can't find a thread providing a full guide and suggestions on speeding up your computer.

Suggestions are welcome!
This guide has been split into two parts, [Free] and [Hardware]
Note:
-All programs listed in this guide are "popular programs" that are used by many people and I have personally tried all these programs.
-WoT does not yet support Multicore processors or more then one GPU for that matter. Some 'problems' might be resolved once WoT does support these things. - Thanks Rorus

System Requirements

Minimum system requirements:
CPU: 2 GHz
RAM: 1 GB
Video: GeForce 6600GT (128 MB) / ATI analog
HDD: 2GB
Connection rate: 128 Kbps

Average system requirements:
CPU: 3 GHz
RAM:2 GB
Video: GeForce 8600GT (256 MB) / ATI analog
Connection rate: 128 Kbps

Maximum system requirements:
CPU:  2 Core 3 GHz
RAM: 2 GB
Video: GeForce 9800 (512 MB) / ATI analog
Connection rate: 1024 Kbps or higher (for faster downloads)

[Free/Software]
Problem 1: Temporary files have built up on your hard disk
Some tasks and programs will keep files in your temporary folder and will build up over time. This may be one of the reasons your computer is taking some time to boot up as these files tend to be memory consuming. Cleaning your temporary files will give you more Hard Disk space to work with.

Problem 2: Your registry is cluttered
Programs that use their own extensions (eg. .ppt .doc .app   ect) will add an entry into your registry. Overtime, after installing and uninstalling many programs, you may find that your registry is cluttered with useless entries. This can slow down your computer.

A useful tool for solving problems 1 and 2 is CCleaner. It is free and it comes with many other features.
http://www.piriform....wnload/standard

Problem 3: Your computer has been infected
Your computer will run slower if you have a lot of malware (malicious software) on it. Malware can do anything ranging from stealing your passwords to crashing your computer every time it boots up. It is important to run regular (weekly or fortnightly scans of your computer.

If you do not have a security program installed on your computer, here are some good free ones to use:
http://www.avast.com/
http://free.avg.com/
http://www.malwarebytes.org/

http://freebies.abou...e-antivirus.htm

Problem 4: Not enough space on the hard disk
Installing large programs to your hard drive will inevitably slow down your computer. I would recommend leaving around about 20% of your hard drive capacity free to allow your computer to have enough room for temporary files and file swapping.

Problem 5: Your files are fragmented
You should also defragment your hard drive to to gather dispersed information and allow other space to be used by your computer again. It is recommended that the first time you defragment, you should run through it 5-8 times. When files are fragmented and located all over the HHD in different physical locations upon the disk. De-fragmenting moves similar application files all to the same location so they can be sequentially read which gives significantly faster game/application/any type of loading times. - Thanks xVoid

If you have had your computer longer than a year and had many games installed I highly recommend de-fragmenting it also effects windows so windows will load faster as well.

Some free defragmenting tools are:
http://www.piriform.com/defraggler
http://www.auslogics...re/disk-defrag/

Problem 6: Heat - Thanks rulmentu
Heat is a killer. If your computer overheats, or heats up too much, it can kill your computer's performance. One main culprit is the dust that builds up in your computer over time. Once in a while, open your case and clean out that dust with a vacuum cleaner. (Be careful, even static electricity can ruin things.) Also, be sure that your case is well ventilated. This can range from doing simple things such as moving your case to an area with better airflow to installing better cooling systems ie. more fans/water coolers.

[Hardware]
Problem 1: Not enough RAM
RAM (Random Access Memory)is used as temporary storage space by your computer. It is important to have enough RAM for your computer. However, having too much RAM may not be effective. If your computer is slowing down every time you process large files, or freezes while executing multiple programs, that can be one of the signs that you may need more RAM. (Refer to System Requirements for World of Tanks)

Problem 2: GPU not powerful enough
GPU (Graphics processing unit), more commonly known as your graphics card, may not be powerful enough. (Refer to System Requirements for World of Tanks.) Your graphics card is the part of your computer that processes all graphics (visuals). If your computer struggles to maintain a smooth FPS (Frames per Second), it may be a sign that your graphics card is lacking power. (also see Problem 3)

Problem 3: CPU not fast enough
Your CPU (Central Processing Unit) is perhaps the most important part of your computer. It is what carries out the instructions of a computer program. The speed that your CPU can process information is a big factor in how fast your computer runs. If your computer struggles to run multiple programs at once, or performs slowly, it may be a sign that your CPU is lacking speed. (OVERCLOCKING NOT RECOMMENDED)

Some other useful links/tools
http://www.systemreq...referrer/srtest - for checking if your computer system is able to handle certain games.

Disclaimer: I am not responsible for any harm you cause to your system. This guide is intended to aid you in speeding up and optimizing your computer system.

I will update this post soon to make it look more attractive :P

Edited by svcheats_0, Dec 15 2010 - 12:51.

TK421 #2 Posted Dec 10 2010 - 15:26

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
I would never EVER download those kinds of programs from an unknown party. The chances are it contains malware or other nasty unwanted programs that can damage your computer and steal sensitive information.

Im not saying any of the above would do that but I would rather not take the risk. (actually I have used auslogics defragmenter and it seemed quite good) Cant advocate its use though.

There are easier and safer ways to speed up your computer without downloading dodgy software.

Igi #3 Posted Dec 10 2010 - 15:33

Staff sergeant

• Special Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
+1

Btw programs and sources mentioned by OP are perfectly legit and well known, I'm using some of them (CC cleaner, Avast) for years.

Shoshine #4 Posted Dec 10 2010 - 15:41

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View PostAtlasxenonn, on Dec 10 2010 - 15:26, said:

I would never EVER download those kinds of programs from an unknown party. The chances are it contains malware or other nasty unwanted programs that can damage your computer and steal sensitive information.

Im not saying any of the above would do that but I would rather not take the risk. (actually I have used auslogics defragmenter and it seemed quite good) Cant advocate its use though.

There are easier and safer ways to speed up your computer without downloading dodgy software.

i use AVG and Piriforms Ccleaner and Defraagler nothing "dodgy" about them
always take precautions when downloading anything from any website

EndlessWaves #5 Posted Dec 10 2010 - 16:38

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
Please stop perpetuating these myths. Defragmenting won't help game performance, using a registry cleaner isn't a great idea, temporary files don't 'use up' memory and you don't need 200GB(!) free on a 1TB hard drive.

Rorus #6 Posted Dec 10 2010 - 16:54

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
I think it would be wise to notice the fact that WoT does not yet support Multicore processors or more then one GPU for that matter. Some 'problems' for people might go away after that.

iRoik #7 Posted Dec 10 2010 - 22:51

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 4068 battles

View PostAtlasxenonn, on Dec 10 2010 - 15:26, said:

I understand your concern, but all of the software that I have listed above as used by many people and I myself have tried them.

View PostEndlessWaves, on Dec 10 2010 - 16:38, said:

Please stop perpetuating these myths. Defragmenting won't help game performance, using a registry cleaner isn't a great idea, temporary files don't 'use up' memory and you don't need 200GB(!) free on a 1TB hard drive.
Defragmenting will not help game performance much, but will free up some space to be used. 20% free is recommended if you have large files on your harddrive. I will change this thread into a more general guide, not just focused on gaming.

View PostRorus, on Dec 10 2010 - 16:54, said:

I think it would be wise to notice the fact that WoT does not yet support Multicore processors or more then one GPU for that matter. Some 'problems' for people might go away after that.
Thanks, I'll add that.

xVoid #8 Posted Dec 11 2010 - 01:25

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 4538 battles
I have used auslogics for years now (since it was ONLY freeware) and the site didn't look like a typical site that could have anything on the software, it is legit and clean as long as you get it from their site.
Saying it doesn't improve performance is extremely silly, it is a known fact that any HHD (Hard disk drive)(not SSD) has abdominal random read/write speeds (loading the game and maps) random is when files are fragmented and located all over the HHD in different physical locations upon the disk.

De-fragmenting moves similar application files all to the same location so they can be sequentially read which gives significantly faster game/application/any type of loading times.

If you have had your computer longer than a year and had many games installed I highly recommend de-fragmenting it also effects windows so windows will load faster as well.

iRoik #9 Posted Dec 12 2010 - 07:43

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 4068 battles

View PostxVoid, on Dec 11 2010 - 01:25, said:

I have used auslogics for years now (since it was ONLY freeware) and the site didn't look like a typical site that could have anything on the software, it is legit and clean as long as you get it from their site.
Saying it doesn't improve performance is extremely silly, it is a known fact that any HHD (Hard disk drive)(not SSD) has abdominal random read/write speeds (loading the game and maps) random is when files are fragmented and located all over the HHD in different physical locations upon the disk.

De-fragmenting moves similar application files all to the same location so they can be sequentially read which gives significantly faster game/application/any type of loading times.

Thanks for this. I've added some of it to the original post.

V1ad #10 Posted Dec 13 2010 - 19:58

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 4726 battles
  • [GT99] GT99
I would add malwarebytes to the anti spyware/virus section

All these files can be downloaded from www.download.come which is run by cnet

iRoik #11 Posted Dec 14 2010 - 13:49

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 4068 battles

View PostASHole, on Dec 13 2010 - 19:58, said:

I would add malwarebytes to the anti spyware/virus section

All these files can be downloaded from www.download.come which is run by cnet
Thanks, I've added a link to that.

I will add a few more things to the original post tomorrow.:)

iRoik #12 Posted Dec 15 2010 - 12:53

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 4068 battles

View Postrulmentu, on Dec 15 2010 - 12:14, said:

I have a 2005 Pentium dual core at 2.66Ghz, pretty much at the end of its lifespan. When I started playing WoT I was doing 5-12 fps with the occasional 1fps in birdie view when playing a SPG. Painful. Yes, I did score, quite a few. :)
Low fps started occuring some 2 years ago and I blamed all these new fangled game engines, so I was planning for a massive upgrade. Then one day I looked at my CPU cooler while the PC was off (a very rare occurence). I noticed some gray stuff beneath the fan, I gently pryed the fan off and there it was: a thin but very dense layer of compacted dust (looking from the side of the radiator you couldn't see much, the whole thing seemed pretty dust free).

After cleaning the dust, I'm getting a minimum of 20 fps (while stuff are still loading at the beginning of battles) and a max of 60, with an average of 35 in fierce fights :).

Thanks mate, I've added "heat" as a problem.

keesface #13 Posted Jan 20 2011 - 15:18

Private

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
Another (advanced, boot-time) defragmenting tool i'd recommend is ultradefrag: http://ultradefrag.sourceforge.net/

it can defragment at boot-time, which means it can defragment your system files (which are normally not accessible). Should help overall pc performance, as the system files are the ones you constantly use :).

as for anti-virus, i'd go with microsoft security essentials. It's light, fast and free for people with valid windows license.

drybone12 #14 Posted Feb 12 2011 - 15:18

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 2205 battles
  • [KURO] KURO

It won't directly affect game performance but it will help you keep a healthy system which THEN could that healthy system affect game performance.

Boomz #15 Posted Feb 13 2011 - 19:13

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 6988 battles
  • [SST] SST

So Endless very few ppl even know exactly what you mean "perpetuating myths" did you know even server admins usually don't know their hardware to the core, the just build and maintain what they read out of a magazine.

Someone commented that defrag will improve everything this is marginally true.  Secondly, I really would like to know how a game gets massive fragmentation, when you install the core all at one time, in 'THEORY' saving the entire game down to side by side blocks on the HDD.  Game defrag from game booster will put game files back together more so than a basic defrag program.

The only thing, nearly everyone missed was the defrag and enlargement of your MFT file system on your hard drive.  This WILL improve performance substancially if you are in red line on the MFT system.

Also  THE BEST virus scanner to day, and only one EVER recommended is absolutly ClamAV, if your using anything else, you are reliant on false hope.

Have a good day, hope this helps, and no I probably won't follow up, it's my business to know pc/tech, and I have already boarderline shared more than I do with most.

area86 #16 Posted Sep 07 2011 - 02:26

Corporal

• Players
  • 4310 battles

View PostRorus, on Dec 10 2010 - 16:54, said:

Really??!?!??!?!??!?!

malteserinhk #17 Posted Sep 07 2011 - 03:33

Corporal

• Players
  • 976 battles
I have read on couple of IT expert sites that the registry cleaners were great for windows XP, but they are far less useful on Windows 7.  Windows 7 also has a relatively decent inbuilt defrag utility.  It's worth running every week/month just to help your computer generally although it may not do a great deal for any one specific game.

Having said that if you are on windows XP those programs regularly get recommended by IT experts.