T29 Overpowered, No Yoke This Tank Is Crazy

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
163 replies to this topic

Largepotato #21 Posted Dec 14 2010 - 05:24

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 8493 battles
178 or 214 it hardly matters.  Nothing is getting through that plus the extra 200 or so from the gun mantlet

Hotwired #22 Posted Dec 14 2010 - 05:30

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 20 battles
True enough, I've had 107mm HE constantly bounce off it and BL-10 shells fail to penetrate repeatedly.

A hull down T29 is stupidly resistant to damage and is also packing a T9 gun albeit at a reduced ROF.

VGA #23 Posted Dec 14 2010 - 05:52

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
Tier 9 gun with less penetration than the Tiger's tier 8 gun. Module tiers mean nothing.

Seriously, it's a good gun, but you're just saying tier 9 to make in impression. Yes, I know the icon says 9   :D

The armor bounces some things it shouldn't, but when it gets hit, it HURTS !

Hotwired #24 Posted Dec 14 2010 - 06:22

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 20 battles
When a hit penetrates it hurts? I thought we were talking about something of a higher level than tank basics  :P

View PostVGA, on Dec 14 2010 - 05:52, said:

Tier 9 gun with less penetration than the Tiger's tier 8 gun. Module tiers mean nothing.

Well on that note it also does less damage per shot than the IS's tier 8 gun.

Must be worse than both?

T29 DPS: 2275
IS DPS: 2168
Tiger DPS: 1971

Tiger Pen: 203
T29 Pen: 198
IS Pen: 175

Tiger Acc: 0.3
T29 Acc: 0.37
IS Acc: 0.4

T29 Aim: 2.0
Tiger Aim: 2.5
IS Aim: 3.0

It's certainly better as an overall package than both of those T8 guns. Top for DPS and aim time and second for penetration and accuracy.

What do you want it called, level 8.75?

zareh #25 Posted Dec 14 2010 - 06:40

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 419 battles

View Postvirtusx, on Dec 14 2010 - 01:55, said:

Why? can you articulate why? is it the turret armor? is it the hull? why?

I can tell you with about 160 games in my T29 that the hull armor is not strong even with the bug. If you adjust the turret down then you need to adjust the hull up and you know what you will get? An IS. If you play against a smart T29 player it can hurt; however, I (like all T29 players at times) have been caught in the open a number of times and taken apart quickly with shots to the hull. On the other hand, I have gone hull down behind a destroyed tank or behind a small hill and held off a number of tanks or destroyed tanks above my tier and it sounded like hail on my turret. If they nerf the T29 then they need to nerf the IS's speed and/or gun as well. By the way, you need to play a tank at least 50 games (except for the Lee, you don't need 50 to see it is not good) to get a decent handle on it, if you played it a few games or even 20 you cannot say that it is "clearly bugged" and needs to be adjusted.

In your case I see you played it 69 games, i would be interested in your view of bugged.

From the heavy tank lines I've played KV, KV3, IS, Tiger, and T29. I'm usually very aggressive when it comes to pushing. I know how to use bugged spotting to hide, but I don't because it's not fair, I'm not playing 'smart' or 'clever'. I'm using 'creative game mechanics' to get an unfair and un-needed advantage, I haven't accomplished anything more than using a bug, its cheap and boring.

Now, on the FIRST match with a STOCK T29, I took it out in the middle of the enemy units. I was facing a KT (T8), a Tiger (T7) and an IS (T7)with 100m, I didn't even bother looking at the mediums. Right away I started seeing shells bounce all over while I was kept approaching them. I simply went about my business without much of a worry. I was tracked and eventually flanked and shot to death. It felt like I was in an IS4 or a Aufs B.

This was how my first game on a stock T29 went. In an IS I would have died after 3 shot from what I had faced, Tiger would have taken 4 since it has more HP. KV and KV3 would die pretty much instantly facing them. It felt like I was in a T9 tank. Every time I played on my T29 I went on offensive _until_ I was shot and killed to make sure it wasn't a fluke accident as my stats will show. I didn't even bother grinding the 105mm gun. I decided to wait till they adjusted the armor and play again to see the difference. My guess is that it would be a minor change.

I'm all about variety, I feel that Russian heavy line at 8+ is waaaay OP compared to German and US heavies. The IS I think is balanced the way it is right now. I feel the Tiger needs a buff to its survivability. The T29 survives too long. Again, this is just _my_ personal opinion after playing each one.

In case others are interested:

IS (fully upgraded - 100% Crew)
Posted Image

T29 (with 90mm - 81% Crew)
Posted Image

Tiger (fully upgraded - 95% Crew)
Posted Image

Stavinsky #26 Posted Dec 14 2010 - 07:19

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
I have played both the T-29 and T-32 actualy,
and from my experience i must say that the turret is effectivement very strong.
But taking into account the fact that it was built to be a 'stronghold'
when hull down, those tanks are easily hurted
when people use manual aiming and shoot where they should.

Usualy if i'm caught in the open, or tracked, i get picked appart in no time
by people who manual aim. Auto-aimer usualy bitch a lot when they ding and bounce
like hell on my turret.

As a matter of fact the only armor that will get a hit in the next patch
is the hull armor. So the already 'weak' armor on the hull
is going to be even weaker.

In the actual situation, i would love to see any T-32 resist over 57 shoots
of T1 / M6 / IS / Stug III / JPIV   like i had in my King Tiger recently
(i had my back protected, but was surrounder on the 3 sides).

To come back to the T-29
when you do the calculation about what the 'equivalence' in armor
it would have, you end up with pretty monster sized equivalence.

As an exemple the 102mm hull front armor at 54 degree would translate
in
TL = TN / Cos (Angle)

In our case TL = 102 mm / Cos(54) = 173mm of armor equivalence.

And that's just for the slopped front hull.
When you add to that the real slopped shape that should induce
a high deflection in the shells hitting it you end up with
a hell of a tank.

Here you find about the sloped concept of armor.
http://en.wikipedia....i/Sloped_armour

To end this, i realy hope the dev will take a look
at the insane amount of damage we take in the US heavies
from artillery splash , even those so far that my KT or
other Russian tanks would not even have any damage.

And if they lower the hull armor, i realy hope they will
make the adjustement needed to have a tank balanced and
fun to play, and not just a unused tank line.

My 2 cents.

jcqc96 #27 Posted Dec 14 2010 - 07:45

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 1747 battles
It's quite sad to hear about too few people grinding for American heavies.

SkttLes #28 Posted Dec 14 2010 - 07:53

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 18032 battles
Tier 5 tanks can penetrate the front of the T29, T34 and T30. Learn to aim.

Kyuusei #29 Posted Dec 14 2010 - 08:03

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 4849 battles
  • [RSRC] RSRC

View PostSkttLes, on Dec 14 2010 - 07:53, said:

This. I've had no issues penetrating the hull of T29s in most of my tanks, lowest tier of which is a T-34-85 with the 100mm.

SkttLes #30 Posted Dec 14 2010 - 08:07

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 18032 battles
Or, better yet, tier TWO tanks can penetrate the back armor, hit the engine and set it on fire, damaging every module.  :huh:

zareh #31 Posted Dec 14 2010 - 08:51

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 419 battles

View PostSkttLes, on Dec 14 2010 - 08:07, said:

Or, better yet, tier TWO tanks can penetrate the back armor, hit the engine and set it on fire, damaging every module.  :huh:
This us true for EVERY tank, if you let a tank get behind you you got other problems... IE lone wolf.

zareh #32 Posted Dec 14 2010 - 08:52

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 419 battles

View PostSkttLes, on Dec 14 2010 - 07:53, said:

How many shots will it take to kill them from a T5 tank, how many shots will it take for them to kill you in a T5 tank...

Also, looking at your Statistics in game I don't see you playing Russian or German heavy tanks.

Bonecrusher #33 Posted Dec 14 2010 - 15:29

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
Well I'm an IS7 driver. I only use this tanc for championship and daily double xp. Don't get me wrong. I think is the best T10 heavy but must be played only with a strong support, whith ppl u know they will cover your back.
Now, I also play Tiger and T 29. My point is T29 is a "small" IS7 for it's tier. I think after the next patch, when they fix the armor, it still be a great tank for it's tier. Lucky for T29 most ppl are using autoaim and HE on it's turret which for american tanks it's a life saviour.
If german heavy are snipers, russians are rushing, dogfighting tanks, T 29 is somewhere between.
The only thing that bothers me is, after tier 8 german and american heavys are way too, let's say, "underpowerd" than russian counterpart.

xSystemFailurex #34 Posted Dec 14 2010 - 23:14

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 17564 battles

View Posthazywater, on Dec 14 2010 - 01:02, said:

Yes it is OP. Will it be after the patch? Nope. It will still have a great gun, but don't confuse the gun with the tank. Otherwise, the KV will have to be nerfed.

This +9001!

A huge part of the hate the T29 gets is due to the 105 gun, which has a great reload time for the damage/penetration it has, all on a tier 7 tank. Who would complain about not being able to penetrate it's turret if all it got were the M1A2 76mm? I have all 3 tier 7 heavies, and do not sweat an enemy T29 at all in my IS or Tiger. Hell, my IS doesn't even have the 122mm yet, (meaning it's using a 100mm gun from a tier 6 MEDIUM) and I have no problems damaging a T29 in the EXACT same ways I damage IS3+s: Don't shoot the turret.

leonidesalinas #35 Posted Dec 15 2010 - 00:09

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 6159 battles
the T29 is my most favorite tank, hands down. i average about 3 kills per game. i've even gotten lucky enough to take down an IS4. the T29 acts like it's a Tier 8 tank at the moment. it's very very strong. i just hope it remains good after the heavy nerf.

(i also believe that we deserve a tank like this after the T1 Heavy and M6 heavy tank grind....)

William_Wilberforce #36 Posted Dec 15 2010 - 03:53

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
First time out with it, stock except for upgraded gun (from M6) 6 kills and 1900 exp.

Awesome.

zareh #37 Posted Dec 15 2010 - 04:06

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 419 battles

View PostWilliam_Wilberforce, on Dec 15 2010 - 03:53, said:

First time out with it, stock except for upgraded gun (from M6) 6 kills and 1900 exp.

Awesome.
Did you ever do so well in any other stock tank?

Yakumo_san #38 Posted Dec 15 2010 - 04:55

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 16419 battles
To fix that bug on the T29 or not... Seems like a good question. To the people who are feigning that it's imba hull isn't bad... I dinged frontal hull shots at a T29 while I was at point blank range (we were fighting in Himmelsdorf). Due to the fact that this shot was from the 8.8cm L/71, I clearly believe that this bug should be fixed.
People say "shoot is' side hull dumba**", the thing is, smart T29 players will always expose their frontal hull most of the time. Same for for IS players. The positioning can make a VERY big difference. *rant mode on* But a Tiger showing it's frontal OR side hull to anyone doesn't matter... the shots just go through... :) Doesn't help that the Tiger is slower than those two... *rant mode off*

So yeah, fix would be welcome. It will remove the fear factor generated by the T29, but... it'll still be a nice tank with now, it's TRUE hull down advantage.

edit: In short, just fix the armor value, over nerfing that T29 won't be so much use...

SpectreHD #39 Posted Dec 15 2010 - 05:18

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 16763 battles
  • [TT] TT

View PostBaconnaise, on Dec 13 2010 - 22:05, said:

The only tank I've bounced consistently on tracks with is the IS4. I don't know but the huge target of the tracks on american heavies I just can't fathom what the complaint is about. They are already weak as hell and should be left the way they are now. It surprises me how many people with higher tier tanks obviously use auto aim or show a general laziness. It's obvious the complainers about american heavies are auto aimers. They claim to use manual aim but we all know you're lying! If you aimed for hull barring the freakish bounce that happens to us on just about any tank even low tiers there is no you can fail to damage those american heavies in the hull with consistency.

Stop lying and stop asking for nerfs to tanks that already kind of suck.

Stop trolling and lrn2ply or uninstall the game.

Indeed. I have a T29 and I have other tanks so I know how to play the T29 and against it. I play this tank as defensively as a TD because the moment I move around and show my hull to anyone, I am dead. The T29 takes full damage from HE especially from SPGs. When shells penetrate they do massive damage. There are enough many weak spots when facing this tank from the front. I have never ever bounced it on the tracks/sides. I bounced more on the sides of IS3s and IS4s. The only time where I have even bounced shells was when I could hide my hull. Yes, I do very well with this tank. But when I see other T29s, they are easy to deal with.

I can agree to the removing of that extra 20% hull armour but all that other nerfs is rediculous. It is not like the 105mm is not already one of the most inaccurate gun I have ever used but nerfing the turret and hull traverse to go along accuracy reduction on the move without no changes to counter balance the nerfs like increasing the hit points? This tank and all other tanks after the M6 requires an additional 20k experience to research. I bet the people in here saying the bounce from the sides etc etc lets one incident dictate their entire opinion of one tank even when they have never even touched a Sherman aka. at OP. Shoot the turret and reap the consequences.

Stavinsky #40 Posted Dec 15 2010 - 06:09

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View Postjcqc96, on Dec 14 2010 - 07:45, said:

It's quite sad to hear about too few people grinding for American heavies.

If they don't fix the full damage from HE, and other inconsistency , and only wave
the nerf bat at the US heavies, nobody will grind them anymore.
T1 Heavy and M6 are already punishing enough to grind in the current state.

Let's hope they will figure it out before the final release, or they will
end up with player having mostly Russian tanks, and nothing else.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users