• This topic is locked This topic is locked
163 replies to this topic

SpectreHD #41 Posted Dec 15 2010 - 12:23

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 16849 battles
  • [TT] TT

View PostStavinsky, on Dec 15 2010 - 06:09, said:

If they don't fix the full damage from HE, and other inconsistency , and only wave
the nerf bat at the US heavies, nobody will grind them anymore.
T1 Heavy and M6 are already punishing enough to grind in the current state.

Let's hope they will figure it out before the final release, or they will
end up with player having mostly Russian tanks, and nothing else.

Indeed. The fact that US tanks past T8 is basicly a T29 with the same turret with different guns does not help. From an aesthetic point of view, you are literally in the same tank as a T29 in appearance with just better penetration, HP and damage. You expect people to not get bored looking at the same tank at Tier 7, 9 and 10? Furthermore, with the nerfs and nothing else to compensate like increased hit points(for the T29) or lowering EXP cost to research to that of the other nations, you get to play the same T29 tank that even Tier 5s can easily damage at Tier 9 and 10. Stop auto shooting the turret and Tier 5s can damage the T30 decently.

theta0123 #42 Posted Dec 15 2010 - 12:55

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
The T29 overpowerd?

Yeah and the IS4 is underpowerd

Largepotato #43 Posted Dec 15 2010 - 15:15

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 8493 battles

View PostTerminator98, on Dec 15 2010 - 04:55, said:

To fix that bug on the T29 or not... Seems like a good question. To the people who are feigning that it's imba hull isn't bad... I dinged frontal hull shots at a T29 while I was at point blank range (we were fighting in Himmelsdorf). Due to the fact that this shot was from the 8.8cm L/71, I clearly believe that this bug should be fixed.
People say "shoot is' side hull dumba**", the thing is, smart T29 players will always expose their frontal hull most of the time. Same for for IS players. The positioning can make a VERY big difference. *rant mode on* But a Tiger showing it's frontal OR side hull to anyone doesn't matter... the shots just go through... :) Doesn't help that the Tiger is slower than those two... *rant mode off*

So yeah, fix would be welcome. It will remove the fear factor generated by the T29, but... it'll still be a nice tank with now, it's TRUE hull down advantage.

edit: In short, just fix the armor value, over nerfing that T29 won't be so much use...
If you're bouncing off the front hull of a T29 at point blank range, it's your own fault for not aiming at the weak spots

Yakumo_san #44 Posted Dec 15 2010 - 15:23

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 16419 battles
Do you know how much pen the L71 has? I can easily penetrate armor that are over 150mm thick. Hell, I can even penetrate Maus if I do it properly. T29, frontal hull, not taking damage from a shot at near point blank? This requires a fix sir.

DerPizzadieb #45 Posted Dec 15 2010 - 15:56

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
Sorry, its all but overpowered. The gun is making it a very good tank but so is the KV line.
I used to be afraid of them for some time but then i learned where to shoot and what should i say, its definetly not difficult to take them on.

I recently had a pretty epic game in my T32 with all upgrades where i killed an T29, IS3 and a 4502 (second gun) with some additional stuff.
http://img824.images...20101214152.png

It was on Pagorki and they were on a level above me, shooting my frontal turret armor all the time. I was shooting the T29s weak spots, the IS3 appeared from time to time as the only target able to shoot and when only the 4502 was left i started to approach him, knowing that if i am hugging his front he cannot aim low enough to hit anything else than my front turret. After he was down he cried how buggy the US Tanks are but it was just a bad player who made me win, i got raped often enough.
Okay, now with the IS3, T29 and 4502 dead i noticed the IS7 (he was shooting other guys earlier and i landed a suprisingly well hit at him) at 9% on the hill. I saw only a little bit of his turret and swapped for Explosive. Two round hit and he got wasted. I then felt like on sterioids and went wild on the IS4 that appeared next to me, i had no AP Ammo left so i was pretty hopelessly lost but he started to run, while i got under fire from a KT and something else which finally killed me.

So, this one hell of an exceptional round with guys who shot on a 300mm armored front turret instead of some weaker spots.
It was the lack of skill of the others who made this tank look so overpowered. In the next game i was taken down with a few rounds of an IS4.

The sad part on the american heavy line is, that i'll be using the same gun for the T29, T32 and T34. Its cool on the T29, still good on the T32 but i cant see why i should waste 81k XP on the Turret/Gun of the T34 when it only takes 110k more to get the T30.

So back to topic, is the T29 OP and does it need a nerf? Definetly not.
Am i playing the same Tank for 3 tiers? Yes :/

F900EX #46 Posted Dec 16 2010 - 01:45

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 3882 battles

View PostDerPizzadieb, on Dec 15 2010 - 15:56, said:

The sad part on the american heavy line is, that i'll be using the same gun for the T29, T32 and T34. Its cool on the T29, still good on the T32 but i cant see why i should waste 81k XP on the Turret/Gun of the T34 when it only takes 110k more to get the T30.

So back to topic, is the T29 OP and does it need a nerf? Definetly not.
Am i playing the same Tank for 3 tiers? Yes :/

T29 driver here tbh after the M6 the whole US heavy tank line needs to be changed for the above reason, using the same gun for 3 tanks, + the base 90mm gun does nothing. T1 and M6 tanks are a joke, M6 tank was never used for anything lol...   When the next softwipe comes and the changes there going to make for the Heavy USA tank line.. I won't be using my EXP for them.  Any person can clearly see there going to be a useless compared to other tanks, they will be like a big M6.

Largepotato #47 Posted Dec 16 2010 - 06:19

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 8493 battles

View PostTerminator98, on Dec 15 2010 - 15:23, said:

Do you know how much pen the L71 has? I can easily penetrate armor that are over 150mm thick. Hell, I can even penetrate Maus if I do it properly. T29, frontal hull, not taking damage from a shot at near point blank? This requires a fix sir.
It requires you to not be lazy and actually aim at parts that will penetrate 100% of the time.

Like for example:

1) Lower front hull plate
2) Machine gun
3) Hatch on either side of the upper hull
4) The ears on the upgraded turret.

SkttLes #48 Posted Dec 16 2010 - 06:43

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 18032 battles

View PostLargepotato, on Dec 16 2010 - 06:19, said:

It requires you to not be lazy and actually aim at parts that will penetrate 100% of the time.

Like for example:

2) Machine gun
All the L/71 needs to aim at is the hull. If it is not at a strange angle and doesn't hit the turret, it will penetrate.

SkttLes #49 Posted Dec 16 2010 - 06:44

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 18032 battles

View Postzareh, on Dec 14 2010 - 08:52, said:

How many shots will it take to kill them from a T5 tank, how many shots will it take for them to kill you in a T5 tank...

Also, looking at your Statistics in game I don't see you playing Russian or German heavy tanks.
What are you trying to say? A tier 5 tank should be able to kill this tier 7 tank? That is what would be balanced?

zareh #50 Posted Dec 16 2010 - 06:54

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 419 battles

View PostSkttLes, on Dec 16 2010 - 06:44, said:

What are you trying to say? A tier 5 tank should be able to kill this tier 7 tank? That is what would be balanced?
I asked how many shots... as you said, even T5 tanks can penetrate it's hull.

Yakumo_san #51 Posted Dec 16 2010 - 14:47

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 16419 battles

View PostLargepotato, on Dec 16 2010 - 06:19, said:

Like for example:

2) Machine gun

As Skitt just said, I don't need to aim for weak points on your hull. I can penetrate anything, including Tier X tanks when I shoot correctly. Versus that 105mm thick frontal hull, I shouldn't be having DINGS on it, especially considering this is a Tier VII.

Largepotato #52 Posted Dec 16 2010 - 15:21

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 8493 battles

View PostTerminator98, on Dec 16 2010 - 14:47, said:

As Skitt just said, I don't need to aim for weak points on your hull. I can penetrate anything, including Tier X tanks when I shoot correctly. Versus that 105mm thick frontal hull, I shouldn't be having DINGS on it, especially considering this is a Tier VII.
Except it's not 102mm at the moment.  With the 20% bug it's ~122mm and factoring in the slope it becomes over 200mm effective.  

Even when the bug is fixed, the upper front armor will be 174mm effective, it doesn't take much of an angle for that to bounce the long 88.

Yakumo_san #53 Posted Dec 16 2010 - 17:14

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 16419 battles

View PostLargepotato, on Dec 16 2010 - 15:21, said:

Except it's not 102mm at the moment.  With the 20% bug it's ~122mm and factoring in the slope it becomes over 200mm effective.  

Even when the bug is fixed, the upper front armor will be 174mm effective, it doesn't take much of an angle for that to bounce the long 88.

Average Pen for Long 88 is 204... I don't think I should have a problem penetrating that area.
The bug is giving this take much more staying power than it should when used correctly.

Hotwired #54 Posted Dec 16 2010 - 23:25

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 20 battles

View PostTerminator98, on Dec 16 2010 - 17:14, said:

Average Pen for Long 88 is 204... I don't think I should have a problem penetrating that area.
The bug is giving this take much more staying power than it should when used correctly.

And the average penetration for the 122mm gun that equips all Russian heavy tanks and tanks destroyers until the IS-3 and ISU-152 is 175mm

The Russian mediums never have a gun with better penetration than 175mm.

Which means if you're not in an ISU or an IS-3 or higher you are quite screwed if a T29 advances on you since its gun can easily penetrate ANY part of your tank with AP but you can only fire HE back and since the armour is that thick it absorbs a lot of the damage potential of the HE shells - if one hits the front turret instead of the hull it does almost nothing.

Gibberish may be spouted about hitting its sides and rear but reality is you will need to come out, into the open and go past the T29 to attempt that. Mind you, there must have been a reason you were taking cover... perhaps you'll find out if you go into the open and try going past the T29 to see if it will let you shoot its rear armour.

All it has to do is keep front towards enemy for an enormous advantage.

The armour bug is massively corrupting its actual capabilities, the only reason I don't care much is because it doesn't matter in the long run and its due to be changed back.

I am very cynical mind you, there are reasons to have a "bug" which gives a massive bonus in a newly released tank tree.

If you wait two months then fix it you have thousands of players in those tanks when it has correct stats and thus you now have a much better range of players to gather data from.

Not that I'm suggesting anything of course :rolleyes:

Orree #55 Posted Dec 17 2010 - 00:12

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View PostSkttLes, on Dec 14 2010 - 07:53, said:

Tier 5 tanks can penetrate the front of the T29, T34 and T30. Learn to aim.

This.

It's always a little amusing to see poeple talk about the T29 as it it were this god-like over-powered machine.  It's simply not, even in it's bugged state.  Stop the exaggerations, already.  It's good.  It's very good.  It's a bright spot in a sea of crap in the US line.  ...and it's already getting fixed/nerfed.  We'll see how it goes, I guess.

I can say that I get penetrated driving my T29 all the damned time,  Bounces are rare.  From my tier or higher, I usually take three hits and I'm down.  The only thing this tank has going for it is the gun and it's tough for auto-aimers to take down from the front.

Lupusceleri #56 Posted Dec 17 2010 - 03:28

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View PostHotwired, on Dec 16 2010 - 23:25, said:

Which means if you're not in an ISU or an IS-3 or higher you are quite screwed if a T29 advances on you since its gun can easily penetrate ANY part of your tank with AP but you can only fire HE back and since the armour is that thick it absorbs a lot of the damage potential of the HE shells - if one hits the front turret instead of the hull it does almost nothing.
The tank is actually so "balanced" that it is nearly immortal when it goes hull down.

I frequently bounce ISU-152 BL-10 shells off the T29 turret, show me ANY other tier 7 tank that is capable of doing that. YES I know you are supposed to shoot the hull, NO you can't always do that in an actual battle.

Hotwired #57 Posted Dec 17 2010 - 04:04

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 20 battles

View PostLupusceleri, on Dec 17 2010 - 03:28, said:

The tank is actually so "balanced" that it is nearly immortal when it goes hull down.

I frequently bounce ISU-152 BL-10 shells off the T29 turret, show me ANY other tier 7 tank that is capable of doing that. YES I know you are supposed to shoot the hull, NO you can't always do that in an actual battle.

Funny that, I had half a mind to mention that too.

I am actually discouraged to fire shells at a T29 in my ISU at range unless its a side/rear shot because there is a significant chance it will bounce off, wasting my ammo and meaning I waste a shot I might have used on a better target in the same time.

As you say and as any experienced player understands, you do not get to pick and choose what your shells will hit. You get whatever turns up in your scope then throw in randomness of where the shell will go within your aiming circle.

At range your crosshairs may well cover the ENTIRE tank. Or be larger than it. Prime time for people to show ignorance by now suggesting "don't use autoaim" and "aim for the hull".

A lot of tanks get knocked out at those ranges using central mass shots, you can't aim for something, you just aim for the tank as a whole. And even with the most powerful AP 1/3 of the target available can be virtually impenetrable.

They'll get their shells all right when the armour goes down...  :P

zareh #58 Posted Dec 17 2010 - 04:29

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 419 battles
guys guys, don't you know you just casually go next to them then get right behind them and zoom in to do damage? and the t29 will understand you want to kill it so it won't move and wont even turn it's turret to hit you cause it impolite to interrupt another player that's trying to kill you... it's just that easy!

sheesh you guys are such nubs...

Bap181 #59 Posted Dec 17 2010 - 05:25

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
I dont actually care weather the T29 is or is not overpowered, but I'll say this. You say you nerf the T29 for balance issues, yet you do nothing to buff the T1 heavy and the M6?

The T1 is a joke of a tank, hell, the M3 Lee is an even better joke, and comparitevely, the M6 is a terrible terrible tank. Why dont you buff them? If your oh so worried about balance why dont you try and buff the American tanks that desperatly need buffs? No one is denying the T1/M3/M6 are horrible tanks, NO-ONE. But a couple of auto-aimer fagtards start whining about the ONLY good tank in the whole american line and all of a sudden the T29 gets looked at and nerfed?

I grind though the M3, I grind through the fucking T1, and I am grinding through the M6, for what is gonna end up a nerfed to death POS. On the contrary, the T-28 grind was easy, the KV grind wasnt even a grind and the KV-3 went by so fast I didnt even see it go by.
All the tanks leading to the IS are awesome and FAR superior to the american line, and the IS itself is a pretty goddamn good tank. So even considering every single other russian tank is fucking uber compared to the American equivalent, and that the IS itself remains an awesome tank, the americans arnt allowed to have a SINGLE tank slightly superior to the russian line, STALIN FORBID.

Second off, I dont even think the T29 is OP. I have no issues taking them down with my IS, and have put down some serious hurt on them with KV/KV-3. You simply need to learn how to aim. It's just good players, exploiting their tanks advantage taking down idiots who auto-aim the turret and then whine. I've also seen PzIV's and T34's penetrating their hull with ease and taking a decent amount of Health.

It's fucking bullshit.

And I havnt even step foot into a T29, so dont call me biased.

Hotwired #60 Posted Dec 17 2010 - 05:58

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 20 battles

View PostHotwired, on Dec 17 2010 - 04:04, said:

At range your crosshairs may well cover the ENTIRE tank. Or be larger than it. Prime time for people to show ignorance by now suggesting "don't use autoaim" and "aim for the hull".

View PostBap181, on Dec 17 2010 - 05:25, said:

auto-aimer fagtards

That's what I mean.

View PostBap181, on Dec 17 2010 - 05:25, said:

I dont actually care weather the T29 is or is not overpowered.

I grind though the M3, I grind through the fucking T1, and I am grinding through the M6, for what is gonna end up a nerfed to death POS.

It's fucking bullshit.

And I havnt even step foot into a T29, so dont call me biased.

Yes you are biased. The tank you are grinding for is going to get its correct armour which amounts to a nerf and you don't like it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users