Designated target perk?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

Azrou #1 Posted Mar 02 2013 - 03:56

Sergeant

• Players
  • 14261 battles
Does anyone conclusively know whether this works in SPG view?  The description on the wiki(which is unofficial) says:

This perk makes targeted enemy vehicles within 10 degrees of your reticle remain visible for two more seconds than they normally would be. Your crew will only make use of this perk while in arcade view or sniper view. Your crew will not make use of it while in strategic view (SPG only). However, any vehicle will benefit from a team mate's use of this perk, including SPGs using strategic view. If two Gunners have the perk, the effect is not cumulative.

However I am fairly sure that was the original description, because in-game it says something totally different:

Posted Image

I retrained my artillery gunners to have this skill a while ago because it explicitly said it works in SPG view, but now I am questioning myself again...anyone have a link to a dev comment clarifying this?

mercer_ #2 Posted Mar 02 2013 - 04:03

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 22728 battles
The new description states "direct or indirect fire modes" so that statement indicates SPG's are included.

heavymetal1967 #3 Posted Mar 02 2013 - 04:05

Major

• Players
  • 38907 battles
Don't have a link clarifying but I think what it means in the game description by indirect fire is that arty can benefit from friendly tanks in sniper/arcade view that use it.

I'm pretty confident if it worked in arty view folks it'd be well known and the wiki info would confirm it.

At least if it doesn't work in arty view (again I suspect it doesn't) at least there's a half off special on crew skill reset going on this weekend.

NacMacFeegle #4 Posted Mar 02 2013 - 04:05

Captain

• Players
  • 10711 battles
I would say the in game description is the one to trust

heavymetal1967 #5 Posted Mar 02 2013 - 04:18

Major

• Players
  • 38907 battles
Regarding the validity of in game descriptions.

http://forum.worldof...e__pid__3318040

Not saying that the designated target one is wrong just that it's possibly not clarified enough.

With this community I can't believe there hasn't been someone(s) that has tested it.  So one of you that has what was your findings?

Azrou #6 Posted Mar 02 2013 - 04:39

Sergeant

• Players
  • 14261 battles

View Postheavymetal1967, on Mar 02 2013 - 04:05, said:

Don't have a link clarifying but I think what it means in the game description by indirect fire is that arty can benefit from friendly tanks in sniper/arcade view that use it.

I'm pretty confident if it worked in arty view folks it'd be well known and the wiki info would confirm it.

At least if it doesn't work in arty view (again I suspect it doesn't) at least there's a half off special on crew skill reset going on this weekend.
That's what I am somewhat confused by, because a common sense interpretation of the ingame description would be that it works if you T an enemy in SPG view, but there is a chance that it only works "in indirect fire mode" if an ALLIED tank T's the enemy...I wouldn't be surprised since there are translation issues, etc.

However I wouldn't take the wiki to be gospel, it's not updated by WG staff and in some cases is clearly out of date... for example it still has the 8.2 matchmaking chart and 8.3 has been out for a month and a half.

Azrou #7 Posted Mar 02 2013 - 04:41

Sergeant

• Players
  • 14261 battles

View Postheavymetal1967, on Mar 02 2013 - 04:18, said:

Regarding the validity of in game descriptions.

http://forum.worldof...e__pid__3318040

Not saying that the designated target one is wrong just that it's possibly not clarified enough.

With this community I can't believe there hasn't been someone(s) that has tested it.  So one of you that has what was your findings?

It's very difficult to test, because afaik the amount of time that an enemy is still it up after he is last spotted is randomized within a certain amount... there really needs to be a WG post for us to be sure.

tanky_the_tank #8 Posted Mar 02 2013 - 19:48

Major

• Players
  • 37426 battles
Get a couple friends, use test server if you don't want to waste gold. Train any crew with enough skill to that line's arty. Go to training room. Put enemy tank on exact same location every time, park arty circle where you know he is and never move it. Bring in spotter on your team, he spots from exact same location every time, make sure he can break contact in less than a second, maybe use binoc on med view range tank. Then spend whole match timing how long he stays lit when spotter breaks contact. Run training room with des target and without it, keep everything else exactly the same. 15 min of spotting should average enough to show if des target gives you advantage.