Installing Updates Critical Error

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
22 replies to this topic

JohnDRockefeller #1 Posted Mar 08 2013 - 04:07

Private

• Players
  • 0 battles
Hi, I'm brand new to the WoT game. A few months ago I downloaded WoT with no errors, and started the game and played one match. In that match, I learned my computer could not run WoT.

Recently I've updated my computer so it CAN run WoT, but now the Client won't finish the installation. When the client gets to "Updating Game Client: Installing Updates" it crashes saying "Critical error. Failed to install updates. The application cannot continue. For details, see log file."

Naturally, I followed directions and checked the logs. "This file is empty"
Next, I clicked Retry and the client did in fact get farther, but same error message.
Next, I reinstalled everything. No change. Again, a different level in the download percentage it crashes. It seems the "installing updates" part will go to a random percentage and then crash, never in the same spot.
Finally, I went to the forums, saw someone with the same problem literally get no help, and then posted this topic.

I'm hoping someone can help me.
Please and thank you!

wilinfi #2 Posted Mar 08 2013 - 04:14

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles
I suggest u download the whole client and reinstall it:

http://redirect.warg...test_install_na

there's the link, hope it helps bro :P

GL tanking and have a great time...............

DJBoz #3 Posted Mar 08 2013 - 08:09

Private

• Players
  • 0 battles
I am having the exact same problem.  I tried downloading the whole 8.4 client and reinstalling and it still gets to a point where I get that same error.

FriarTuck818 #4 Posted Mar 08 2013 - 08:22

Private

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
I have been using the same client since closed beta. It has accepted all updates until 8.4. The patch gets to about 60% install of update and crashes. I uninstall my trusty client. and try to install fresh copy. Crash!!!! It happens with new client download, during install. What is wrong with this update that I can't play something that I spent so much time beta testing? This update is broken. What is going on? When could it be fixed? I want to get on and get blown up more by tanks 4 teirs higher than the one I'm in, "best fun ever, NOT"

Please helpme fix this!

Sir_Franco #5 Posted Mar 08 2013 - 08:25

Private

• Players
  • 0 battles
I am getting the critical error too. Tried downloading 5 times now.  Tried torrent and no torrent. Tried reinstall. Tried searching the web. Tried all the tips I found. It just wont work...........

JohnDRockefeller #6 Posted Mar 08 2013 - 18:36

Private

• Players
  • 0 battles

View Postwilinfi, on Mar 08 2013 - 04:14, said:

I suggest u download the whole client and reinstall it:

http://redirect.warg...test_install_na

there's the link, hope it helps bro :P

GL tanking and have a great time...............

I tried this, downloaded the file all night, installed it manually, ran the client and.... same issue.

Anyone else have any fixes?

djpuck #7 Posted Mar 08 2013 - 19:04

Private

• Players
  • 0 battles
Full clean re install same issue, hope there is a free premium day or two in our future.

misscleo #8 Posted Mar 08 2013 - 21:03

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
Delete the contents of the following folders: (ignore all errors when prompted)
%TEMP%
%WINDIR%/temp
%APPDATA%\wargaming.net\WorldOfTanks
C:\Games\World_of_Tanks (or where ever you installed WoT)

Download the full version of WoT via HTTP or Torrent if you haven't done so yet. (links have been depreciated)

Temporarily disable or properly setup your security software. Quite likely that most problems can be attributed to resident scanning modules falsely identifing the WoT installer as malicious and terminating it. Do not skip this step.

Extract the archive you downloaded using 7-Zip or WinRAR.

Run the installer. When asked where to install, make sure you do not select a protected location, such as Program Files or Program Files (x86). NTFS security seriously complicates things, especially if you are installing to an OS with multiple Windows users or if you are installing as a Guest/Limited user.

If you still encounter issues, create a support ticket and you should receive a reply within 24-48 hours.

Edited by misscleo, Apr 27 2013 - 18:29.

Nelta #9 Posted Mar 08 2013 - 21:51

Private

• Players
  • 0 battles
If you are using Vista run the launcher as administrator. I had the same problems with updating and then I remembered to give that a try and it worked.

I know that Blizzard not too long ago had to start putting the WoW client under c:\users\share folder because of the same problem. If you are not lazy like I am you might want to install WoT to that folder also.

BONEZER #10 Posted Apr 25 2013 - 23:43

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles
sry I have no computer knowledge so ALLL OF THESE FIXES MEAN NOTHING TO ME!!!!  critical error at 19% of update load.. help?

bxeter #11 Posted Apr 25 2013 - 23:55

Private

• Players
  • 0 battles
Ok, I am on the verge of quitting this game. Every time there is an update, I have to uninstall the game, re install and cross my fingers that the the update will load. So lets see, after 3 hrs, 3 uninstalls and 3 reinstalls, not working.. then reading, research, down loading the update manually, guess what now a "voip.dll" file missing and the update will not install ... I mean really, should it be this hard to update a game... I have a fair amount of computer knowledge and I am still frustrated..good help newbies...  Seriously WTF.. ? Is there an admin monitoring the complaints or what ? Can we get some help please..
Winows * by the by and I have been playing for about a month..or I was playing.

SirSac #12 Posted Apr 27 2013 - 18:05

Private

• Players
  • 0 battles
Well, If your error is "critical error. Could not download update via http...." This is likely due to either your antivirus and/or WG server hardening (firewall stuff, maybe jump servers).

I got this error trying to update to 8.5 as well as initial install of planes beta. The fix was to turn off my antivirus and "retry" 2-3 times. It then downloaded the entire package without fail in both cases.
Try it out!

General_Vicinity #13 Posted Apr 27 2013 - 18:20

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles
I've tried EVERY suggestion in the Forums, nothing can make this update install!

If it didn't install the first time, . . . .  you're just screwed.

Been working on this install for THREE days. It just won't install.

Did everything MISSCLEO suggested. That just wasted more time.

WoT just doesn't care. If it installs - good for them. If it doesn't - well that's just too bad. (Even though I have a premium account wasting away.)

KCDestroyer #14 Posted Apr 27 2013 - 18:22

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles
Just so we are clear......all of the suggestions and fixes do not fix everyones problems so if you keep trying and can get the update to install don't think your computer or computer settings have to be the problem as thats simply is not true. There are likely hundreds if not thousands of folks who are having the same issue right now and have opened support tickets and support has not been able to resolve. For those trying to help I would offer a big thank you even if we don't get in....valid suggestions for sure but I just don't want folks thinking that because some of these fixes worked for some that they will work for all. Reinstalls, computer reboots, registry cleanings etc have done nothing to resolve problems for me as the problem is with the patch itself and when you downloaded it as a lot to do with it working or not. My brother lives with me and he updated at around 11am yesterday with no issue. I tried at around 1 or two and have been dead in the water ever since. The file size for his updates in his WOT folder is a fraction of the size of the updates I am currently downloading and when you do a fresh install and download the zip file and go to extract the files my computer tells me there is a problem with 2 of the patches before I even launch anything.

misscleo #15 Posted Apr 27 2013 - 19:03

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View PostRinga, on Apr 27 2013 - 18:20, said:

I've tried EVERY suggestion in the Forums, nothing can make this update install!
Have you tried creating a support ticket yet? WG rarely posts in these forums.

Also what exactly is the problem? Can you attach WoTLauncher.log (found in WoT folder) to your post, or upload it somewhere else and post the download link here?
Do you have any security software, if so what?
Download screen317's Security Check from this page. Run it and follow the onscreen instructions. When it's finished, a text file will open. Copy everything from that file and paste it here.

View PostKCDestroyer, on Apr 27 2013 - 18:22, said:

My brother lives with me and he updated at around 11am yesterday with no issue. I tried at around 1 or two and have been dead in the water ever since. The file size for his updates in his WOT folder is a fraction of the size of the updates I am currently downloading and when you do a fresh install and download the zip file and go to extract the files my computer tells me there is a problem with 2 of the patches before I even launch anything.
Have you tried copying your brothers wot folder onto your computer (via usb stick, network sharing,etc.) and running it? If you do plan on trying that, just don't copy the updates, replays, and screenshots folders. Easiest way I can think of for just getting the game to work. If you want help fixing the problem follow the steps I posted above for Ringa.

Chongx625 #16 Posted Apr 27 2013 - 19:15

Private

• Players
  • 0 battles
I'm having the same issue as well.  I tried to update to the 8.5 software and it has given me the same error.  I'll file a ticket and see what happens...GEEZ cant play WOT :(

Jervis #17 Posted Apr 27 2013 - 19:17

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles
Or if you have norton 360.  Open the program, go into 'settings'/'firewall'/'program rules'.  All the system programs which access the internet should be there...scroll towards the bottom (as it is alphabetical) and there will be a couple of WOT listings, change the setting on the dropdown menu on the right from 'auto' to 'allow', worked for me.

Ninety96 #18 Posted Apr 27 2013 - 21:05

Private

• Players
  • 0 battles
I've been having huge issues with 8.5 aswell, at first it would just freeze my computer after it would download the patch,
I managed to get past that, doing some of the fix's people have posted, and after that started getting this error originally posted, can download the patches,
but they wont "apply" they just give me the critical error and that's that.
so lastnight, I re-formatted my computer, to see if that would resolve my issue, and well it hasen't this is complete crap.
CANT WOT see they have oviously messed something up massively?
i'm trying one more thing, then screw it, I quit i'm tired of this hours and hours of attempting to trouble shoot for no gains.

FrankenTank #19 Posted Apr 28 2013 - 00:21

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles
I've tried MsCleos suggestions above also with no luck. Have downloaded the entire ~4.8gb install file 4 times.    Full uninstall, tried installation on both of my PC's 2 harddrives.  Get the critical error telling me to look at the log file, which makes no sense to me...

27/04/2013 15:52:30    pkg file(id = 3): name="wot_85.2535_85.2493_client.patch", size=5414694, uncompressed_size=16744863
27/04/2013 15:52:39  ERROR: pkg file(id = 1): what="extract file error", msg="name="D:\Games\WoT\Updates\wot_85.2492_client.patch" file="res\packages\vehicles_american.pkg" to="C:\DOCUME~1\LUKEAN~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\wargaming.net\wot emp\wot_85.2492_client.patch""
27/04/2013 15:52:39  ERROR: pkg file(id = 1): FAIL
27/04/2013 15:52:39  ERROR: Patch installation: FAIL

misscleo #20 Posted Apr 28 2013 - 00:57

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View PostFrankenTank, on Apr 28 2013 - 00:21, said:

I've tried MsCleos suggestions above also with no luck. Have downloaded the entire ~4.8gb install file 4 times. Full uninstall, tried installation on both of my PC's 2 harddrives.  Get the critical error telling me to look at the log file, which makes no sense to me...

27/04/2013 15:52:30 pkg file(id = 3): name="wot_85.2535_85.2493_client.patch", size=5414694, uncompressed_size=16744863
27/04/2013 15:52:39  ERROR: pkg file(id = 1): what="extract file error", msg="name="D:\Games\WoT\Updates\wot_85.2492_client.patch" file="res\packages\vehicles_american.pkg" to="C:\DOCUME~1\LUKEAN~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\wargaming.net\wot emp\wot_85.2492_client.patch""
27/04/2013 15:52:39  ERROR: pkg file(id = 1): FAIL
27/04/2013 15:52:39  ERROR: Patch installation: FAIL
Your files are fine, same size as mine, stop redownloading them. lol

A problem is occurring when the launcher tries to write to %temp%\wargaming.net\wot emp\wot_85.2492_client.patch. Make sure you're running as administrator and that your account has R/W rights for the %temp% folder and children. Google NTFS permissions if you don't know what I'm talking about, you can find picture guides like this. I've never used this before, but here's a program that looks like it makes the process a heck of a lot easier.

Make sure your antivirus is not messing with the launcher. If you don't know how to disable or add the wot launcher and relevant directories to the resident scanner modules whitelist, just uninstall the a/v, restart your computer, and try installing the game.

If those suggestions don't work, open command-prompt, type chkdsk /f and hit enter.