Jump to content


GW Tiger - What's the point?


This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
23 replies to this topic

KaiserMartens #1 Posted Mar 09 2013 - 21:03

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 11166 battles
  • 666
  • [VPK] VPK
  • Member since:
    02-08-2011
Maybe you guys can enlighten me.

I just don't seem to see what the point is in playing that vehicle. Especially considering the ridiculous grind that it entails.

They feel like obese, handicapped Grilles.

One would think, "Wow, what a huge gun! It's surely the best thing in the world!", but at the end of the day, the 210mm isn't as strong as one would think when reading the usual "remove arty" threads. Of course, it does not help that even when aiming properly, there's still a very high chance that you will hit nothing at all.

Missing targets is something all SPG players are used to, but waiting for such a big shell's ridiculous reload time is simply boring. It's an all or nothing vehicle. Now and then the shells will land just right and you will feel happy about it, but if you miss two shells it means that you spend a long time being bored without being able to do anything for the team.

Grille-Hummel-GwPanther - they're all upgrades. But this is a downgrade...and Gw Typ E isn't looking like it will be worthwhile. I don't even have mobility, so there's no versatility to be found either.

So again, what's the point of those two vehicles? And more importantly, why is there such an overwhelming amount of Gwt/E players, when these machines seem to be so bad? What am I doing wrong?

I'm getting close to selling this thing and forgetting about it. The little Premium SPG is much more fun to use, even if it has a weak gun.

On another note, what IS the point of any superheavy tank? E-100, GWT/E, Maus, JPE. It seems to me that Superheavies don't work at all. I bet a lot of the people wouldn't mind if these vehicles were replaced for more reasonable designs anyways.

Maybe I just don't know how to play.

Edit: I'm gonna try the 170mm gun again, it seems more reasonable.

Edited by KaiserMartens, Mar 09 2013 - 21:04.


VladimirsRevenge #2 Posted Mar 09 2013 - 21:13

    Major

  • Players
  • 9065 battles
  • 5,055
  • Member since:
    12-16-2011
Yep. The French arties are faster than T8 mediums and have 10 times the firepower, but they're fine. The German artillery can't move faster than a T95 going backwards uphill in a snow storm over banana peels, can't hit the broad side of a battle ship at point blank range, but it needs nerfing.

It'll never end.

KaiserMartens #3 Posted Mar 09 2013 - 21:15

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 11166 battles
  • 666
  • [VPK] VPK
  • Member since:
    02-08-2011
You mean that this is a German-specific problem?

I know nothing about other SPGs.

The 170 is actually better, but it won't change the fact that I'm driving a house, not a tank.

Fluffy_Kittens #4 Posted Mar 09 2013 - 21:15

    Major

  • Players
  • 26843 battles
  • 2,121
  • [HAVOK] HAVOK
  • Member since:
    03-06-2011
well you now see why people free exp thru it.
i was going to, but i decided to just grind it till i needed it, and just free exp/buy it if CW needed me.
but after about 50-60 battles i got the hang of it.
my first 50 battles i was in the neighbourhood of 44% win rate.
i like to attribute that to luck, because i way dying so damn quickly and that was the time when we had the high tier scouts on the scene.
but after i studdied my game a bit more, it was due to movement and positioning.

VladimirsRevenge #5 Posted Mar 09 2013 - 21:17

    Major

  • Players
  • 9065 battles
  • 5,055
  • Member since:
    12-16-2011

View PostKaiserMartens, on Mar 09 2013 - 21:15, said:

You mean that this is a German-specific problem?

Yes. It is. Much like every other German tank in the game.

wanted_sniper #6 Posted Mar 09 2013 - 21:17

    Corporal

  • Players
  • 11585 battles
  • 25
  • [IM1] IM1
  • Member since:
    11-20-2011
Gw tiger is fun. I have over 580 games on it. I can't tell you how to play it, you will have to figure it out yourself or sell it. I got gw typ e too but I play it in team training for now. Going back to gw panther, I find it is too much clicking and and prefer gw tiger.

gerbel #7 Posted Mar 09 2013 - 21:18

    Sergeant

  • Players
  • 14068 battles
  • 117
  • [HANS] HANS
  • Member since:
    08-20-2011
at only 3.5k battles, you sir, are still considered a noob. Im not trying to sound offensive. At 4k battles, I thought I was awesome at this game. But I am so much better at 6-7 k battles now. You need more practice at the game. I have never driven the aformentioned vehicles however. I can say that I have decided I hated vehicles only to go back and play them after more Xp under my belt and have had a change of heart; namely, the S51,StugIII, Tiger I and II. you get the idea. WOT is a lot more balanced than people think. Mostly noobs complain of the imbalances; blaming artillery, this tank, that tank. Most people arnt humble enough to accept they are the noob, they never become good players. step 1 to becoming better is admiting you need to get better. Wow I went on rant there. I hope you dont take any of that personally. I only tell you all of this because I dont want to fall into the WOT pessimism that seems so prevalent. I want you to enjoy the game as much as I do, because, well,.... it means another person playing in MM and a more balanced MM because of it ( because youll play longer if you love the game )


btw, why does it say I have 0 battles? I know I have at least 6k battles. is that thing to the left under my profile pic and name even accurate? idk

Edited by gerbel, Mar 09 2013 - 21:19.


wanted_sniper #8 Posted Mar 09 2013 - 21:20

    Corporal

  • Players
  • 11585 battles
  • 25
  • [IM1] IM1
  • Member since:
    11-20-2011

View Postgerbel, on Mar 09 2013 - 21:18, said:

btw, why does it say I have 0 battles? I know I have at least 6k battles. is that thing to the left under my profile pic and name even accurate? idk

  • 8831 battles you got man.


Kermut #9 Posted Mar 09 2013 - 21:21

    Captain

  • Players
  • 14044 battles
  • 1,617
  • [SCRHD] SCRHD
  • Member since:
    05-05-2011
First game/shot I played with the 210mm on my GW I one shotted a T-54 on the move.

Yea the GW_Tiger is a radical departure from the play styles of the earlier tank line, but TBH you should've done some research before going down the line.  If you want a line the plays like the GW_Panther at Tier X, go French.

EDIT: And for the record, the GW_E is just as ridiculous as the other TX arty with a jack of all trades approach for gun stats.  It's impossible to hide but the skirts go a long ways towards allowing you to survive CB fire.

Edited by Kermut, Mar 09 2013 - 21:23.


Spartan96 #10 Posted Mar 09 2013 - 21:25

    Major

  • Players
  • 21290 battles
  • 5,908
  • [NUGGS] NUGGS
  • Member since:
    03-25-2011

View PostKaiserMartens, on Mar 09 2013 - 21:15, said:

You mean that this is a German-specific problem?

I know nothing about other SPGs.

The 170 is actually better, but it won't change the fact that I'm driving a house, not a tank.
If you are using the 17cm you will have a very bad time, with the 21 cm you become a lethal SPG that puts out as much fire power as M40/43 Gw typ E OBj212 and and other 203mm equipped arty. In fact once you get a good crew the GW tiger is surprisingly mobile.

wanted_sniper #11 Posted Mar 09 2013 - 21:25

    Corporal

  • Players
  • 11585 battles
  • 25
  • [IM1] IM1
  • Member since:
    11-20-2011

View PostKermut, on Mar 09 2013 - 21:21, said:

Yea the GW_Tiger is a radical departure from the play styles of the earlier tank line

Isn't the point of getting other tanks in the line to get a different play style? Who wants to play higher lvl tanks with a higher lvl tank with the same play style?

KaiserMartens #12 Posted Mar 09 2013 - 21:25

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 11166 battles
  • 666
  • [VPK] VPK
  • Member since:
    02-08-2011

View PostFluffy_Kittens, on Mar 09 2013 - 21:15, said:

well you now see why people free exp thru it.
i was going to, but i decided to just grind it till i needed it, and just free exp/buy it if CW needed me.
but after about 50-60 battles i got the hang of it.
my first 50 battles i was in the neighbourhood of 44% win rate.
i like to attribute that to luck, because i way dying so damn quickly and that was the time when we had the high tier scouts on the scene.
but after i studdied my game a bit more, it was due to movement and positioning.

But is the Gw Typ E actually worth it at all?

View PostVladimirsRevenge, on Mar 09 2013 - 21:17, said:

Yes. It is. Much like every other German tank in the game.

I suppose I'll have to either get E50M or Leo 1 and pray for the best. I don't like driving Houses unless it's a Tog, which is a boat anyhow.

View Postwanted_sniper, on Mar 09 2013 - 21:17, said:

Gw tiger is fun. I have over 580 games on it. I can't tell you how to play it, you will have to figure it out yourself or sell it. I got gw typ e too but I play it in team training for now. Going back to gw panther, I find it is too much clicking and and prefer gw tiger.

I'll have to see about that.

View Postgerbel, on Mar 09 2013 - 21:18, said:

at only 3.5k battles, you sir, are still considered a noob. Im not trying to sound offensive. At 4k battles, I thought I was awesome at this game. But I am so much better at 6-7 k battles now. You need more practice at the game. I have never driven the aformentioned vehicles however. I can say that I have decided I hated vehicles only to go back and play them after more Xp under my belt and have had a change of heart; namely, the S51,StugIII, Tiger I and II. you get the idea. WOT is a lot more balanced than people think. Mostly noobs complain of the imbalances; blaming artillery, this tank, that tank. Most people arnt humble enough to accept they are the noob, they never become good players. step 1 to becoming better is admiting you need to get better. Wow I went on rant there. I hope you dont take any of that personally. I only tell you all of this because I dont want to fall into the WOT pessimism that seems so prevalent. I want you to enjoy the game as much as I do, because, well,.... it means another person playing in MM and a more balanced MM because of it ( because youll play longer if you love the game )


btw, why does it say I have 0 battles? I know I have at least 6k battles. is that thing to the left under my profile pic and name even accurate? idk

I have to admit that you do sound rather offensive.

I just don't find the "Forever-reload-time" to be my type of thing. It doesn't feel like I'm playing a game, but just throwing a dice, with a big waiting time from roll to roll. No other SPG nor tank I've driven are like that.

RRR3 #13 Posted Mar 09 2013 - 21:26

    Major

  • Players
  • 10305 battles
  • 2,727
  • [SPCTR] SPCTR
  • Member since:
    02-17-2012
I love the GW Tiger, yes you exchange fire power for accuracy, a few hours ago had a great three kill 3.8k damage battle, it is deadly in the right hands, it is very balanced I think, 32 second with rammer, crew; long aiming time, very very very sluggish, poor traverse speed, 15 shells, balanced. Going back to the accuracy bit, most tanks it encounters (ie E-100) is such a big tank it fits the aiming circle

tanky_the_tank #14 Posted Mar 09 2013 - 21:27

    Major

  • Players
  • 37558 battles
  • 6,441
  • Member since:
    11-07-2011
GWT is for breaking tough enemies in single direction with good team support. It's bad for surviving bad pub team or for shifting targets a lot. Bad for dodging counter but good for surviving misses. Good for TD big tank, bad for TD small tank. It's like T95 of arty world, powerful but slow and not flexible.

It can do massive dmg in good conditions.

Deusmortis #15 Posted Mar 09 2013 - 21:28

    Major

  • Veteran Testers
  • 19721 battles
  • 4,750
  • [SIMP] SIMP
  • Member since:
    10-03-2010
Hated the GW T.  Play style is too slow for my liking, and I actually average more damage with my GW P.  GW E drivers have told me that the E is a good bit better than the T, but I have never chosen to buy the E.

KaiserMartens #16 Posted Mar 09 2013 - 21:28

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 11166 battles
  • 666
  • [VPK] VPK
  • Member since:
    02-08-2011

View PostKermut, on Mar 09 2013 - 21:21, said:

First game/shot I played with the 210mm on my GW I one shotted a T-54 on the move.

Yea the GW_Tiger is a radical departure from the play styles of the earlier tank line, but TBH you should've done some research before going down the line.  If you want a line the plays like the GW_Panther at Tier X, go French.

EDIT: And for the record, the GW_E is just as ridiculous as the other TX arty with a jack of all trades approach for gun stats.  It's impossible to hide but the skirts go a long ways towards allowing you to survive CB fire.

Research didn't matter to me, I had a terrible computer until very recently so I could only play SPG.

View PostSpartan96, on Mar 09 2013 - 21:25, said:

If you are using the 17cm you will have a very bad time, with the 21 cm you become a lethal SPG that puts out as much fire power as M40/43 Gw typ E OBj212 and and other 203mm equipped arty. In fact once you get a good crew the GW tiger is surprisingly mobile.

I'll have to play some more and see. Maybe I'll eventually like it somehow.





Edit: I'm not necessarily meaning to say that GwT is unworkably bad, I just don't like what it is supposed to be like myself, and so I fear that Gw Type E may be worse for my purposes.

But then it's too late to consider that.

Edited by KaiserMartens, Mar 09 2013 - 21:30.


tanky_the_tank #17 Posted Mar 09 2013 - 21:29

    Major

  • Players
  • 37558 battles
  • 6,441
  • Member since:
    11-07-2011
I tried GWE on test server, it's same deal except moves better, crosses gap from frustrating to bearable.

Deusmortis #18 Posted Mar 09 2013 - 21:33

    Major

  • Veteran Testers
  • 19721 battles
  • 4,750
  • [SIMP] SIMP
  • Member since:
    10-03-2010

View Postwanted_sniper, on Mar 09 2013 - 21:25, said:

Isn't the point of getting other tanks in the line to get a different play style? Who wants to play higher lvl tanks with a higher lvl tank with the same play style?

I, for one, like my tanks to follow in a logical progression.  If one tank is a nimble flanker, I want my next tank to be a bit faster, more maneuverable, with more hp and a better gun.  I don't want to go from nimble flanker to armored bunker.

GW P to GW T makes you go from a maneuverable vehicle that rewards good active repositioning, to a pig that should rarely move.  It goes from (relatively) fast firing, good accuracy, low splash to slow firing, mediocre accuracy, big splash.  The two vehicles are almost complete opposites.

RRR3 #19 Posted Mar 09 2013 - 21:34

    Major

  • Players
  • 10305 battles
  • 2,727
  • [SPCTR] SPCTR
  • Member since:
    02-17-2012
In order for anyone to generate a good opinion on artillery they must have a lot of knowledge in it, ;)

wanted_sniper #20 Posted Mar 09 2013 - 21:40

    Corporal

  • Players
  • 11585 battles
  • 25
  • [IM1] IM1
  • Member since:
    11-20-2011
Here is tip: Don't rotate your gw tiger when you want to go the other way. Just put it in reverse as it is faster.