3 Things For The Tiger 1

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
153 replies to this topic

Glythe #41 Posted Dec 18 2010 - 06:16

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 20799 battles
  • [ZOUTH] ZOUTH
historical buffs should go both ways or don't even bother.....

tiger killed its equal tier tank at 1200m with almost 100% accuracy.

Where are the improved optics for german tanks? I say only give one level of zoom to usa/ussr tanks.

German tanks used 88mm round.... and nothing higher because it didn't bounce.

As for buffing the turret.... tank commanders never shot at barrel of an enemy tank face to face. It's pretty much guaranteed to bounce off the barrel. But not in this game! You only ever shoot for the mantle of an enemy tank if you catch them at a 90 degree angle to your tank.

German tank guns are way too inaccurate considering how much better most of the russian guns are than their counterparts.

This game is biased to russian tanks and everyone knows this..... just play russian tanks and be happy.

JamesDean #42 Posted Dec 18 2010 - 06:20

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 6516 battles

You know, a better win-rate doesnt mean that you are good... it just means you werent placed in a team of retarded goons very often.

True, but the way I look at win-rate is this: Win rate < 50% = Detriment to your team, > 50% more helpful to your team.  

I've looked up some of the guys that talk a lot of smack in game.  One guy had an IS3 with over 200 fights in it with a win rate of 35%.  Do you want him on your team?  Its OK if it balances back and forth over the 50% line, but that low....unacceptable.

But, this game is severely dependent on your team's collective strength to win.

JagdWicked #43 Posted Dec 18 2010 - 08:17

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 23996 battles
As a Tiger driver, I have to say that I love my Tiger as is.  It is a very mobile, agile, medium tank hunter.  It can even put holes into bigger thanks like an IS3/4 or a Tiger II with ease if you use it's speed and agility to your advantage.  I have many many tanks, some are Tier 9, but my Tiger is still my favorite over all the rest. I can manage 5 heavy tank kills if I don't get too excited and run out in the open and die.  

Sure I will take the extra armour in the front of the turret, and the extra hp.  But I am not willing to trade it for the speed and agility that the Tiger posseses.  I am still REAAAAALLY pissed off that they took away the Tigers turning and moving forward, it was such an awesome defensive move to squirm, a lot of shots bounced.  But now it pivot turns.  So becareful what you ask for, because in the name of balance, you might have to give something else up.  Instead use the tank as it was intended, a medium tank hunter or support bigger tanks/SPGs.

Now before anyone else does it, yes I will admit my stats suck.  But stats don't mean doodoo when your teams are usually 14 other guys facing the wrong way and camping.

ikiralight #44 Posted Dec 18 2010 - 14:17

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View Postalm80, on Dec 17 2010 - 10:10, said:

After playing 282 battles with the tank and moving to KT, I think I can draw some conclusions about the tank:

Battles - 282
Victories - 108 (38%)
Maximum Destroyed - 7
Average XP - 455

I'd say that the tank is extremely poor in every possible aspect. Unupgraded it's just useless. No mobility, very poor gun, very poor armor.
When you upgrade it fully you'll get better mobility, slightly better armor and better gun, however:

The armor is not sloped at all and not thick enough. Anything above tier IV will damage you consistently even while auto-aiming. With damage you will get crit. hits. The most vulnerable are: gunner and ammo rack. If any of them hit, you are just a piece of slowly rolling junk.
The gun is average at best. Penetration is good. You can penetrate most tanks especially if you aim manually, but damage is terrible. You will have to shoot 4 times even at tier VI-VII mediums to finish them, you are hardly a threat to heavies of equal or higher tier. You will bounce a lot, even when in theory you shouldn't. I was bouncing from PZ IV's more than once. If you are sniping, your penetration will drop with distance, add to that piss poor damage of the gun and you get crappy sniping platform.
The only thing you can do is play TD style, but without TD bonuses you can't ambush well. Your tank is a giant paper made box and it can't hide well enough to avoid being shot. When you get shot - you die.

Overall, this tank can't perform its role - it can't play as heavy tank. It's more like surrogate TD. It's too easy to damage it and its damage output is too low to make it a threat to similar tier heavies.

To improve it - I'd add 20-25mm armor to the turret front and 10mm to turret sides. The best 88mm gun should do like 270dmg instead of 220 it does now. The speed should be increased to 35 km/h, the tank is too weak to be also so slow. That would put it on equal ground with other Tier VII tanks. Right now, Tiger can hardly be considered a heavy tank at all.
Battles: 245
Wins: 124 (51%)
Defeats: 112 (46%)
Survived: 83 (34%)
Destroyed: 6
Damage ratio: 67%
Avg exp: 714

You're doing it wrong. Yes, the stock tank sucks balls. The armor doesn't need to be sloped, learn to position yourself, this isn't a russian tank for the dumb people that want to drive straight at another tank and expect to kill it. Angle your hull. Never let someone shoot straight at your front if you can help it. The gun is amazing. If you sit back at the start you're THE BEST anti scout on your team, probably. If you have any skill at all you'll have no problem hitting A-20s going at full speed. The damage is great for something with this much accuracy and penetration. No, you don't want to dogfight with an IS or T29, you'll probably lose. But that isn't your role, if you're dogfighting equal tier tanks it better be because you're defending something.

I don't see how you have ANY problems hiding. At long range you simply screw over most things with ease because you WILL hit. You're not a TD, you don't sit where the TDs camp. You're behind your scouts/front line tank, medium range. If you're not doing a lot of damage then that means you're shooting a higher tier tank, meaning any damage will help the big tank on your team to deal with him. If anything you can destroy his tracks with 100% succesrate and turn him into a punching bag for artillery or other snipers.

You shoot holes in things that are revealed by your front lines, then you either push with them or you catch whatever is coming through and keep them busy. If your front line dies then they should've been hit so much that you can handle them with some support. It could use something to buff it up a little to make it more viable for dogfighting but overall it's a good tank that plays it's role very well, if you're competent enough to play it.

I suggest you roll russian tanks. Lower skill requirements might do you good so you can stop giving your team a handicap.

Trxstr #45 Posted Dec 18 2010 - 15:06

Private

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
Go for the long 88, hide in a bush and snipe. The Tiger doesn't have armor, so you're not a front line tank.

TheMunster #46 Posted Dec 18 2010 - 15:28

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
Do not underestimate the effectiveness of the upgraded engines, if you plan to use the KT as a close to med range brawler when you get the 105mm you will need the 800+bhp engine.

ikiralight #47 Posted Dec 18 2010 - 15:39

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
I don't think it's even reasonable to use the upgraded turret or 105s on the KT without the engine... you'll move WAAAY too slow. For the Tiger though, the long 88 might be worth it. It really does suck without that gun.

Kristine #48 Posted Dec 18 2010 - 16:19

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 25170 battles
Yes, The Tiger is a good tank especially when used right. Its also my favorite tank and the neutral steer was a blessing...atleast for me.

But the armour qualities of the Tiger compared to the VK3601H "baby" tiger is really questionable. You have no idea how many shells my VK3601H bounced compared to my Tiger. Hearing "dings" on the Tiger 1 is so rare its not even funny. Remember, the Tiger IS supposedly the more heavier armoured VK3601H. But the moment, its the opposite.

Tiger 1 badly needs the armour durability of the VK3601H and that extra 20mm frontal turret armour would help alot in CQB. The firepower and agility can stay the same as is because its fine.

Eide #49 Posted Dec 18 2010 - 16:26

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 2089 battles
  • [TB] TB
I just cleaned up this topic, which unfortunately meant editting about half the posts in it, and outright deleting two.

Do NOT make things personal people. Going after a person will not prove your point. If you haven't got a valid argument but are just posting about others and not their arguments, then just don't post at all.

Garnett101st #50 Posted Dec 18 2010 - 19:30

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 23548 battles
KV3 and IS2 are the same as VK3601 and Tiger.

KV3 has better armor, same guns.

BCTiger #51 Posted Dec 18 2010 - 19:57

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 4559 battles

View PostGarnett101st, on Dec 18 2010 - 19:30, said:

KV3 and IS2 are the same as VK3601 and Tiger.

KV3 has better armor, same guns.

VK3601H does not have the same armour as the Tiger 1, so to say they are the same is not correct, I have played the IS yet but I have played the KV-3 and it is much better then the tiger 1 in armour value,

When I first got the Tiger 1 I thought I would be able to get lots of ateel walls like when I was in my KV-3 but it was a bitter disappointment, only reason I'm going down the german line is because of the Tiger2 and bc of the skin I made for it :P

the devs could atleast buff the armour so that its the same as the VK3601H.

Icygrip #52 Posted Dec 18 2010 - 22:46

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
In one game, all my crew was dead with one hit. I was in a Tiger. Who ever done that had to be uber lucky or realy good. I usualy use auto aim, sometimes I do it my self. I wondering if there a guide of sweet spot on each particular tank on where you should aim and hit that tank. To kill a gunner or disable a gun, start a fire, 1 shot it....... Like there was a guide for sapping and tanking in WWIIOL. THX

_Loose_ #53 Posted Dec 18 2010 - 23:06

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 20391 battles
I think the hit boxes are different for each tank.
Usually you learn by looking at your beat up tank, sadly. At least those are the ones that stick with me.

Sarpadeon #54 Posted Dec 19 2010 - 00:50

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 9793 battles
  • [KUMA] KUMA
the hitboxes for the KT are on the forum somewhere, the rest is just guesswork based on the schematics

usually the gunner, loader and commander are in the turret though(same for ammo rack on alot of tanks)

driver is usually right behind the front glacis plate(look for the viewing ports to figure out which side)

Garnett101st #55 Posted Dec 19 2010 - 05:58

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 23548 battles

View PostBCTiger, on Dec 18 2010 - 19:57, said:

VK3601H does not have the same armour as the Tiger 1, so to say they are the same is not correct, I have played the IS yet but I have played the KV-3 and it is much better then the tiger 1 in armour value,

When I first got the Tiger 1 I thought I would be able to get lots of ateel walls like when I was in my KV-3 but it was a bitter disappointment, only reason I'm going down the german line is because of the Tiger2 and bc of the skin I made for it :P

the devs could atleast buff the armour so that its the same as the VK3601H.

Eh, i worded that wrong lol.

I mean that KV3 is like the VK3601, and the IS2 and Tiger are just alike, KV3 and VK3601 both have better armor and the same guns as the tanks above their tier.

ShadowStalker887 #56 Posted Dec 19 2010 - 06:15

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 2485 battles
Yeah but the IS-2 is an improvement over the KV-3, the Tiger is almost a downgrade from the VK3601(H). (I played a Tiger before the softwipe for those who check my stats)

Solono #57 Posted Dec 19 2010 - 06:51

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 17946 battles
  • [GN0ME] GN0ME
While not having 200+ battles with the Tiger, I do think my 150+ allows me to add my thoughts to the OP.

View Postalm80, on Dec 17 2010 - 10:10, said:

After playing 282 battles with the tank and moving to KT, I think I can draw some conclusions about the tank:

Battles - 282
Victories - 108 (38%)
Maximum Destroyed - 7
Average XP - 455

Battles - 163
Victories - 75 (46%)
Maximum Destroyed - 6
Average XP - 628

Unupgraded it's just useless.

Agreed, you are at a severe disadvantage.

No mobility, very poor gun, very poor armor.

False, false, true.

Mobility with the upgraded tracks and top engine is deceptively good, you won't win any races but you will be more agile than most people think.

It depends on how you use it, see below.

I will agree the armor is terrible, but the armor being terrible with the L/71 is a moot point.

The gun is average at best. Penetration is good. You can penetrate most tanks especially if you aim manually, but damage is terrible. You will have to shoot 4 times even at tier VI-VII mediums to finish them, you are hardly a threat to heavies of equal or higher tier.

This is where we disagree, while I believe the L/71 could use a slight bit of love in the damage department it isn't too terrible. The reload time does help offset it a bit. And not being a threat to equal or higher tiers is false, you aren't as much of a threat to them as an IS with the upgraded 122 but you can seriously hurt if not outright kill them if you play smart.

You will bounce a lot, even when in theory you shouldn't. I was bouncing from PZ IV's more than once. If you are sniping, your penetration will drop with distance, add to that piss poor damage of the gun and you get crappy sniping platform.

The Tiger is a sniping machine, I've never had the problems you talk about, aside from the occasional ricochet, the gun has been absolutely golden with me.

Overall, this tank can't perform its role - it can't play as heavy tank.

It depends on your notion of a heavy tank, I still consider the Tiger a heavy tank it just has a different role than, say, the IS.

I think a lot of the problems come from people misusing the Tiger and playing to its weaknesses and expecting the tank to somehow perform well and are shocked when it doesn't. The Tiger is not a knife fighter, it isn't a peekaboo tank, (although you can do this very well) it's a long range sniping tank.

Now, that being said, it could do with some minor adjusting, giving it 240-250 damage with the L/71 would be a nice, minor boost while not going over the top. The turret armor could use a minor boost as well, speed, I'm not too sure needs adjusting but it'd be worth a shot looking into if nothing else.

The Tiger, while slightly flawed, is a very nice tank. As long as you go in knowing its strengths, weaknesses and not succumbing the to mentality that the Tiger should be living up to its mythological standards of taking a bazillion shots from (inferior at the time) guns.

SkttLes #58 Posted Dec 19 2010 - 07:49

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 18032 battles
I've never quite understood why the tiger seems to be so hated, now that it's module damages are not as bad. I've never used one, nor have I used the IS, but my experience from fighting them is that the IS has less health, so I can kill it faster, less penetration, so it has to aim at weak points, and less accuracy, so it can't hit those weak points. The long 88 hasn't got great damage but it has great accuracy, penetration and rate of fire.

I agree the armor feels very weak, never need to aim at anything in particular, just gotta.. shoot it. A box of health.

Lord_Invader #59 Posted Dec 19 2010 - 08:02

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 7624 battles
When your assailant is driving an S51, your whole tank is a sweet spot...  :blink:  I've been unlucky that way more than once.

Elysion #60 Posted Dec 19 2010 - 10:30

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 6366 battles
  • [KUMA] KUMA

View PostSkttLes, on Dec 19 2010 - 07:49, said:

I've never quite understood why the tiger seems to be so hated, now that it's module damages are not as bad. I've never used one, nor have I used the IS, but my experience from fighting them is that the IS has less health, so I can kill it faster, less penetration, so it has to aim at weak points, and less accuracy, so it can't hit those weak points. The long 88 hasn't got great damage but it has great accuracy, penetration and rate of fire.

I agree the armor feels very weak, never need to aim at anything in particular, just gotta.. shoot it. A box of health.

Same reason people tend to dislike the KV even when its an amazing tank. The first heavy people get into after coming off mediums feel slow and weak. People have misconception of heavies capabilities.

Tiger is a great tank. Its got a good dependable gun for tier 7, with great accuracy. In the end a tank is good or bad based on its gun. If it has a good gun it can be a good tank. Everything else about the tank just dictates how need to play it to make use of that gun optimally.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users