3 Things For The Tiger 1

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
153 replies to this topic

Eide #61 Posted Dec 19 2010 - 10:49

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 2089 battles
  • [TB] TB
I merged 4 different topics about the Tiger tank into this one, as all were dealing with more or less the same.

theta0123 #62 Posted Dec 19 2010 - 11:11

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
I had some great times with my tiger tank before the softwipe.

The 88L71 had far better penetration then my IS. And dint took as long to research as the 105mm on my T29. Also the ammo costs are far less. It was most of the time a richochet with the 122mm (and a nice 1000 wasted), but this dint happend as much as with the 88 L71

Now the tiger did required a diffrent play style.  If i played the tiger like the IS or like the T29, i was less likely to succeed.

Also the 120mm on the front wassent 120m thick. It was the curving of the turret that made it 120mm. It remained 100mm thick.

Its a good tank. But people need to stop saying bias this and bias that. When i first played with the russian tanks, i was like this aswel=OMG THIS GAME IS GERMAN BIASED.
Truly it felt like that. Always did i got killed by the far more numorous german tanks.

Then 3 weeks before the softwipe, i went into the german tech line. Went from PZIV<VK3601<Tiger also went to VK 3001 (p), to the hummel to the luchs. My view changed radically. And instead on focusing on 1 line in 1 faction, i now have diffrent lines from all nations.
Atm im going back into the German line, but not towards the tiger. Going for the Panther tank.

Before you guys start saying Russian OP this and that, and giving -1 like you ALWAYS do. I advise you actually play the opposite tanks first, before you judge.

Like this guy who said the KV3 is far better then VK36. This is wrong. The KV-3 has more armor yes. It also has some good guns. But researching them takes long.Also the KV3 is a heavy tank and the VK3601 is a medium tank. I truly miss my 100% vk3601 before softwipe, because that tank was a beast. Same tier battles still happend alot, and i cannot count the amount of KV3 and T34/85's i killed. Now visa versa is also true. But i had to use the KV3 wisely, or i was dead before i know it.
I can also start saying=OMG PZIV HAS MORE ARMOR then KV! Then you will most likely say=Ye but KV has more health + better guns

This is the same case with kv3 and VK3601. And the same CASE WITH >>ALL<< tanks

Eide #63 Posted Dec 19 2010 - 11:59

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 2089 battles
  • [TB] TB
I agree with Theta here. First let me say that I drove the Tiger pre-Softwipe, so it doesn't show in my current stats.

I had bundles of fun in my Tiger. Back then I felt it had an amazing gun and good speed, With the only downside being it had to soak damage vs bouncing many shots. I still did quite ok in it and had a blast running it. To me the Tiger is the perfect medium tank killer. If driven well it can even take on the Panther and T44 which are a full tier above it and come out on top. It's a great support tank to higher tier heavies as well, as the top gun on the Tiger could hurt everything frontally up to the Maus and IS4/7 (remember, pre-Softwipe, can't say much about US tanks).

The most important thing to me is the fun value in a tank though, and the Tiger gave me bundles of good times. As I said, very decent gun, very decent speed, and it being an iconic tank it has got that little bit extra.

VirgilHilts #64 Posted Dec 21 2010 - 00:48

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 16650 battles
For me, the Tiger was no more than a stepping stone that I had to endure in order to get the Tiger II. Even maxed out, fully equipped, with a 100% crew, I never saw much success with the Tiger. The Tiger II is better, although I'm not really that satisfied with the Tiger II, and I'm not really planning to go further up the German heavy line.

RokRoland #65 Posted Dec 21 2010 - 09:14

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
I, for one, love my Tiger. Closing on 100 games so not that much yet, but still, even when starting from 75% crews and shorty 88 I've managed a 58% win ratio with about 35% losses. It really is a good tank even though it can not ding much. However, I find that if I play it right, my enemies will often miss instead, while with the long 88 it seems I never miss unless I am taking a chance shot. No modules yet, a rammer would be fun for added firepower since more shots means more fun. What's amazing is that it appears relatively easy to hit stationary things even while shooting on the move, it's that accurate.

I tend to play my Tiger in an aggressive but not stupid manner - often getting out in the front or to some tactically important position, but never to one without cover. My favorite is being on the back slope of some hill dodging enemy arty, who will very often waste many shots trying to cash in on me. With the top engine the acceleration is not that bad either, even though the top speed really is.

I do agree that it seems to bounce less than a VK36, which is somewhat disturbing. Still, it dings some shots every so often and there's enough HP to soak some shots when you must (except from ISU-152, ouch, apparently). I really should try the IS for comparison so maybe I'll do that next wipe, but I will probably be frustrated about missing a lot of shots.

theta0123 #66 Posted Dec 21 2010 - 11:20

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View PostVirgilHilts, on Dec 21 2010 - 00:48, said:

For me, the Tiger was no more than a stepping stone that I had to endure in order to get the Tiger II. Even maxed out, fully equipped, with a 100% crew, I never saw much success with the Tiger. The Tiger II is better, although I'm not really that satisfied with the Tiger II, and I'm not really planning to go further up the German heavy line.
almost all of my FH2 buddies have tiger tanks. And the average EXP they have with it, scales the roof tops
Either it was there playing style that was good, or either you perhaps did something wrong (its always possible)

ikiralight #67 Posted Dec 21 2010 - 11:51

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
The time it takes to research a tank is irrelevant... it's about how good they perform compared to eachother when both elite. Because that's the only thing that matters; you'll be put up as an equal tier tank in matchmaking sometimes.

But yeah the accuracy is the best thing about the Tigers... you just don't miss. And if you do, you know it was your fault and you learn from it.

Herr_Klug #68 Posted Dec 21 2010 - 13:19

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 43317 battles

View Postikiralight, on Dec 21 2010 - 11:51, said:

But yeah the accuracy is the best thing about the Tigers... you just don't miss. And if you do, you know it was your fault and you learn from it.

Perhaps if you take the randomness (unless it's ping related) out. I can be stationary with the long 88, my reticle green, aiming sight minimized, commander & gunner both 100% + vent and a round will still miss. Then again I can use a 105mm on a different tank and hit a target a couple hundred meters away. It just doesn't make sense sometimes and I often wonder how much randomness is applied. Some matches I can hit everything I see and others I have no idea where the shells go .... frustrating to say the least.

The only other thing I could attribute it to is the difference in my ping to the server vs the other players.

xdustx #69 Posted Dec 21 2010 - 15:50

Private

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
first day with the tiger

got the camo net from the stug, the commander, gunner and loader at 100%

14 battles, 5 wins, 4 sniper medals

slow, low damage, got the upgraded suspension, now grinding for the first canon

of course i hate it, but ... will wait to see how it performs fully upgraded

TheMunster #70 Posted Dec 21 2010 - 19:47

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View Postxdustx, on Dec 21 2010 - 15:50, said:

first day with the tiger

Rammer, laying drive, sit at 400/500m away from the action. Reach out and touch someone.

theta0123 #71 Posted Dec 21 2010 - 19:48

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View Postxdustx, on Dec 21 2010 - 15:50, said:

first day with the tiger

Things get great once with the 88mm L71. And as the post above= Rammer gun laying drive and watch the sniping in action

Inkompetent #72 Posted Dec 21 2010 - 22:01

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
Speaking of sniping btw. I currently have Rammer, Coated Optics and Wet Ammo Rack on my Tiger. Should I switch the Coated Optics or WAR to a GLD?

ikiralight #73 Posted Dec 22 2010 - 00:25

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
The optics aren't too good if you ask me... but keep the WAR, the Tiger has quite a bit of problems with ammo rack being hit. Even if there's a better option it's not worth the credits to take it off. Optics though... the spotting system is bad anyway, so it might not even work.

bojanski #74 Posted Dec 22 2010 - 10:57

Private

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View Postikiralight, on Dec 22 2010 - 00:25, said:

...but keep the WAR, the Tiger has quite a bit of problems with ammo rack being hit.

I agree with this, I've had my ammo rack hit too many times. Allot of these cases were just ammo rack destroyed, which left me helpless :(

Inkompetent #75 Posted Dec 22 2010 - 20:55

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
Just that so many have claimed that after the last patch they don't really suffer ammo rack damage anymore, and since I got my ammo rack before the patch (when it happened all the time) it has made me wonder. But the WAR will stay then :)

theta0123 #76 Posted Dec 22 2010 - 20:57

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View PostInkompetent, on Dec 22 2010 - 20:55, said:

Just that so many have claimed that after the last patch they don't really suffer ammo rack damage anymore, and since I got my ammo rack before the patch (when it happened all the time) it has made me wonder. But the WAR will stay then :)
Well ammo rack damage is also very high on my T29.

I dint had much ammo rack damage on my IS, but MY god what did i had damage on tracks and engine.

Chernobyl_Kinsman #77 Posted Dec 23 2010 - 01:28

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
It is quite painful getting to the long 88, the other guns just don't cut it as a tier 7 heavy, but once I got that I started to enjoy the tank a lot more, plan on keeping it after I get the KT too.  Not noticed any more module damage than my other tanks really and probably been lucky when it comes to fires.

Stormscion #78 Posted Dec 23 2010 - 01:40

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
120mm for front turret would be nice to have. I can support that.

View PostSturmtiger_304, on Dec 17 2010 - 01:56, said:

Ignore the last two engine upgrades, you will barely feel the difference when driving the Tiger I.
bad advice ... great engines you can go up hill and accelerate from 0 very fast.

View PostVonNorwegen, on Dec 22 2010 - 22:16, said:

Well dont go for the Tiger if you have read that it was an awsome tank in ww2. Its not that here, with its original gun, which was one of the most feared in the war, its just pure crap. Go for the russian mega biased tanks. Only good german vehicle i have played so far is the upgunned jagdpanther.

And if someone feel an angry undertone in my post that is correct, just annoyed I have wasted so many hours playing for a tank that i thought was good.

Tiger was "awesome" ( as much as machine that kills people can be and not to mention its price panther was in my opinion far better design ) in ww2  because when it was introduced into the war it was used against masses of tanks that are much lower tier in game then tiger it self is. In its prime time against KVs and T34s ( not even t34 85 it is much later upgrade ) tiger was obviously far far superior in reality and it is in game as well. What can T34 hope for against Tiger ? I bet even five T34s cant kill tiger in game atm. Not to mention KVs that are easy to pick off with tiger in game.

In ww2 it was much much superior and few steps in front of opposition , just like T34 was when it was introduced and panther was etc etc. That is how war works you try to far out do opponent not to balance with it in honorable fashion that is what games are for :)
In game unlike in war stuff need to be balanced out , and you cant put tiger against some crappy KV and T34 just to prove its legendary status cuz nobody would play soviets then hehe.

IS2 in game and T29 are much later designs and just the fact that Tiger is considered balanced and in line with late war designs of other nations should be great honor that shows how it really was strong and advanced design.

That is how i look at the thing and overall design of the tech trees i find very well and fair done.

Herr_Klug #79 Posted Dec 23 2010 - 06:07

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 43317 battles
I still take plenty of ammo rack damage .... so if you have WAR I would keep it. I guess I'll be keeping the camo net on mine (borrowed from TDs) now that Heavies will be 25% more visible ... kinda reduces the sniping aspect some now. If I don't get better with this thing by the softwipe next month I have serious doubts I would bother with it again.

smokntuesdays #80 Posted Dec 23 2010 - 08:24

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 720 battles
After a few days with this thing, they should rename it to commander dead and ammo rack hit.

Also, why does the first 88 suck so bad?   I have 100% crew, but I am missing a ton of shots in sniper mode.    Time and time again when I do get hits, it's like 0 damage, but their tracks break and I'm not even aiming at the tracks.

I got killed by an ISU-152 that was at 2%.   Hit him, critical hit, 0% damage.    And this if from head on.   The majority of my shots are doing this critical hit, 0% damage, even on lower targets.   Usually it's a track breaking, but other times I guess it's just hitting a module.   Pretty screwed up.   No auto aim, not using HE rounds, and i'm shooting at green arrow areas like drivers hole etc.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users