How 'Hacks' in WoT Work

hacks hax how hacks work

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
189 replies to this topic

Asassian7 #1 Posted Mar 17 2013 - 22:51

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles
Hey guys, due to the recent events found in this this thread here: http://forum.worldof...bout-hacks/#top

I am posting this to explain how 'hacks' in World of Tanks work. I will also be using this thread to direct people to when they complain about hacks ingame.
So here it is:

WoT is a server side game, which means all the information is stored on a big server at WG HQ or wherever it is. Now to hack the game you need to hack into this server, which is very difficult to do in the least. So lets say your a computer wizz and managed it, you now make your T1 Cunningham invisible from more than 10m away and the ability to 1 shot every tank ingame. Well done you have hacked the game.

BUT!

Because the game is server side and all the info is on the server, now EVERY SINGLE T1 in the game has the same abilities as yours. So if someone else has it he can do the same things with it as you. its the same with rocks, if you made the rock invisible for you its invisible for everyone else, give your M4 sherman 500mm of armour and EVERY M4 sherman has 500mm of armour. This is why hacks arent used in this game.

Plus i give it 1 day max before WG realizes their server has been hacked and fixes it. And thats only if their lazing around all day doing nothing, or on strike.

So, in the bases of it, yes, you can 'hack' WoT. But it is extremely difficult and hacks do not work in the way that people want them to. Hence why people say there are no hacks in
this game.

Thank you for reading :smiles:

EDIT: TalonV has written a good post on why trying to hack into the server is so hard, so i am pulling it into the OP so everyone can read it:

The amount of programming and coding to do what the OP is talking about, it's like writing a very HUGE program.  Then dumping it into the system, assuming you get past the firewall, is going to be noticed. Maybe not right away, but during a server audit, IT WILL BE CAUGHT.  You cannot dump that kind of malicious programming into a server and expect it not to be caught and purged, along with who did it be be permabanned.
If you don't understand that. With the time and energy it takes to hack a server like WoT, a real hacker could rip off a bunch of banks, never be caught until it was too late and have a crap ton of money.
Seriously guys, it's not ever worth while to top hackers to hack something like WoT when there is ZERO return.

Edited by Asassian7, Mar 19 2013 - 08:09.

A_FIELD_MARSHAL #2 Posted Mar 17 2013 - 22:54

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
I dont blame the guy for thinking that. The game doesnt explain its mechanics well enough for new players.

Asassian7 #3 Posted Mar 17 2013 - 22:58

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostA_FIELD_MARSHAL, on Mar 17 2013 - 22:54, said:

I dont blame the guy for thinking that. The game doesnt explain its mechanics well enough for new players.
yeah hopefully the new 8.4 tutorial should help a bit. It needs to be expanded though IMO.

MedicOnDuty #4 Posted Mar 17 2013 - 22:59

Captain

• Players
  • 0 battles

Particularly the spotting system, which is what the guy was on about in the thread linked in the OP. I really wish that in due time they make other tutorials including the intro one they have now, particularly about the spotting system, because it's something that I would guess half the player base doesn't fully understand. Even I don't fully understand it myself and I'm approaching 3k battles.

bobfart #5 Posted Mar 17 2013 - 23:00

Captain

• Players
  • 0 battles
so....?

CinnamonHawk #6 Posted Mar 17 2013 - 23:00

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles
Huh, never thought of that. Thanks for explaining it. 1+

jacobmccann11 #7 Posted Mar 17 2013 - 23:01

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles
so would it count as a buff if we made the german guns more accrite? but soo small they wont see it but we can feel it

Edited by jacobmccann11, Mar 17 2013 - 23:01.

Asassian7 #8 Posted Mar 17 2013 - 23:14

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostMedicOnDuty, on Mar 17 2013 - 22:59, said:

Particularly the spotting system, which is what the guy was on about in the thread linked in the OP. I really wish that in due time they make other tutorials including the intro one they have now, particularly about the spotting system, because it's something that I would guess half the player base doesn't fully understand. Even I don't fully understand it myself and I'm approaching 3k battles.
the spotting system is probably the hardest aspect of the game to understand. I dont blame him for not understanding it, and WG should have a tutorial explaining it. They went over it in the absolutly most basic form in the current tutorial when you shoot the panther.

MedicOnDuty #9 Posted Mar 17 2013 - 23:29

Captain

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostAsassian7, on Mar 17 2013 - 23:14, said:

the spotting system is probably the hardest aspect of the game to understand. I dont blame him for not understanding it, and WG should have a tutorial explaining it. They went over it in the absolutly most basic form in the current tutorial when you shoot the panther.

They did make a video about it a while back and it helped me a lot, but then again most people don't check the website or the forums for guides on this kind of stuff. And to be honest, for them to not have an in-game tutorial for something as important as the spotting system is inexcusable.

WarAngels #10 Posted Mar 18 2013 - 01:51

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
i just dont understand why people are calling hacks offen lol
this is the best game when it come to hackfree

for a game that i play, have a hacker in every dam room, speeding, godmode, super jump, ete.
and i never seen a single hacker in this game for the last 2 and half years

the link you posted, i bet the guy come from a fully hack game and he is not use to being shot at from across the map when he can't see anyone
i feel sorry for him lol

wulfhound #11 Posted Mar 18 2013 - 02:09

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostWarAngels, on Mar 18 2013 - 01:51, said:

i just dont understand why people are calling hacks offen lol
this is the best game when it come to hackfree

for a game that i play, have a hacker in every dam room, speeding, godmode, super jump, ete.
and i never seen a single hacker in this game for the last 2 and half years

the link you posted, i bet the guy come from a fully hack game and he is not use to being shot at from across the map when he can't see anyone
i feel sorry for him lol

The (possible) reasons why are that they were killed by a sniper who was within radio range of a scout, lucky shot from arty, and just basic terribadness.

(Also, I like your avatar)

Embiggener #12 Posted Mar 18 2013 - 02:14

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles

The problem isn't just the mechanics.   They're actually quite simple.  The problem is that we have several generations of spoiled public school graduates who've never been asked to do anything even moderately difficult.

The end result is you get people who assume every tank has the same weakspots, then come in here crying about how they shot something in a stupid spot and it didn't penetrate or do damage.   You tell them they need to learn about the layout of every tank and their eyes just glaze over.

Case in point, the guy griping about how he wasn't doing any damage shooting the lower front plate of a Super Pershing.

fablkak #13 Posted Mar 18 2013 - 02:32

Captain

• Players
  • 0 battles
If you keep believing that it is impossible to "hack" the game then you will stop looking for the cheats that are possible. My friend and I were talking about this the other day and we realized in a short period of time two "hacks" or cheats that would give an enormous advantage to the player without needing to break into a server anywhere. Using only client side info it is possible to cheat, it just isn't particularly easy.

Meplat #14 Posted Mar 18 2013 - 02:45

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles
Had someone accuse me of hacking, when all I did was miss the tank he was hiding well aft of.
Blasted him with a 105, instead of the tank I was aiming for...

Got a lot of laughs from both sides cause it was such an obvious blind luck shot, but this player wouldn't let it go.

whariwharangi #15 Posted Mar 18 2013 - 02:51

Captain

• Players
  • 0 battles
You are confusing the meanings of the words 'to hack' and 'to be a hack'.

This game has lots of hacks.

Edited by whariwharangi, Mar 18 2013 - 02:51.

HellsBell #16 Posted Mar 18 2013 - 03:37

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles
dont take this the wrong way, but im curious.  How would you know how hacks work?...

Asassian7 #17 Posted Mar 18 2013 - 04:53

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostHellsBell, on Mar 18 2013 - 03:37, said:

dont take this the wrong way, but im curious.  How would you know how hacks work?...
Because i am, if you will, a computer nerd :P i do alot of research on thes sorts of things, i can do programming and things like that. I have set up servers or worked out bugs for severs/computers for my School. I know alot about thee sort of things and pride myself on it :) what i explained in the OP is pretty simple things about server side and clientside games.

Aggravator #18 Posted Mar 18 2013 - 05:10

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 0 battles
There are no hacks in this game just phishing sites that claim they have haxors.  Move along nothing to see here.

Kevlar1972 #19 Posted Mar 18 2013 - 05:16

Captain

• Players
  • 0 battles
You could hack it with a packet sniffer and at least do stuff like see all enemy all the time on the mini map.  Other stuff like removing vegetation or extending enemy barrels with lazer pointers are already around.

NeatoMan #20 Posted Mar 18 2013 - 05:19

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostAsassian7, on Mar 17 2013 - 22:51, said:

Because the game is server side and all the info is on the server, now EVERY SINGLE T1 in the game has the same abilities as yours. So if someone else has it he can do the same things with it as you. its the same with rocks, if you made the rock invisible for you its invisible for everyone else, give your M4 sherman 500mm of armour and EVERY M4 sherman has 500mm of armour. This is why hacks arent used in this game.
b...b...but what if they just gave their crew 500% on their camo, and all other skillz?!?