How 'Hacks' in WoT Work

hacks hax how hacks work

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
189 replies to this topic

Impregnator #21 Posted Mar 18 2013 - 05:40

Corporal

• Players
  • 6793 battles
  • [LW-I] LW-I
I am a purist and have been playing world of tanks sans any mod. The only hacking i would consider possible with a client - server based game like world of tanks is mods on the client side.

I read about mods that remove foliage, mods that show where your cannon is aiming with a line, etc, and am surprised these kinds of mod would even be allowed.

Granted some of the players have trouble running the game with their systems, but removing foliage changes the whole dynamic of the game. I sometimes have to aim through bushes and guess if they are going to hit a hill, while people with the mod would see it in plain sight.

Battlecruiser #22 Posted Mar 18 2013 - 06:48

Major

• Players
  • 18584 battles
  • [VILIN] VILIN

View PostAsassian7, on Mar 17 2013 - 22:51, said:

i give it 1 day max

security is usually handled by the server farm. Hacking into a server farm when you don't even have the keys creates enough of a trail to catch you as it is, never mind the fact that by doing so to alter in-game information you will have severely narrowed down the scope of which federal law enforcement would need to search, as when a crime is committed your first suspects should always be the ones who have the most to gain from the crime.

with that said though, given the speed at which law enforcement works with cybercrime, police will be at your door within a week regardless if they can determine where the hack came from. of course by then you'll have been long dead from the spetsnaz loaded MI-24 dispatched to your house by putin himself

soluuloi #23 Posted Mar 18 2013 - 13:11

Captain

• Players
  • 0 battles
Boring. The other guy explained it better than you do.

stumpjumper8 #24 Posted Mar 18 2013 - 14:50

Captain

• Players
  • 18490 battles
  • [-NWO-] -NWO-
I'm sure there are still people who believe the world is flat.

Veril #25 Posted Mar 18 2013 - 15:12

Major

• Players
  • 17592 battles
  • [-G-] -G-
Perhaps you should learn the subject before trying to show off how smart you are an fail horribly. WOT is server-sided but it does not mean hacks won't work it just means they will do LESS and because of that fewer people are interested in making any.
And fyi, if someone was to hack the server they can do anything they want to the game and your claim it will have to be the same for everyone is BS. For example, with access to the server you can make YOUR loltraktor have infinite HP, infinite penetration, infinite ammo and force MM to treat it like a t10...

Well, by infinite I mean 4,294,967,295 which is the limit of an unsigned 32 bit integer which is most likely what they are using. But tbh with more tweaking you could simply force the server to consider every one of your hits a pen so infinite it will be.

Edited by Verilogus, Mar 18 2013 - 15:16.

viglundr #26 Posted Mar 18 2013 - 15:31

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 26859 battles
  • [NET] NET

View PostKevlar1972, on Mar 18 2013 - 05:16, said:

You could hack it with a packet sniffer and at least do stuff like see all enemy all the time on the mini map.  Other stuff like removing vegetation or extending enemy barrels with lazer pointers are already around.

you can packet sniff it but the server isn't sending your client the information at all about the invisible tanks so can't see how you would discover it.

View PostImpregnator, on Mar 18 2013 - 05:40, said:

I am a purist and have been playing world of tanks sans any mod. The only hacking i would consider possible with a client - server based game like world of tanks is mods on the client side.
I read about mods that remove foliage, mods that show where your cannon is aiming with a line, etc, and am surprised these kinds of mod would even be allowed.
Granted some of the players have trouble running the game with their systems, but removing foliage changes the whole dynamic of the game. I sometimes have to aim through bushes and guess if they are going to hit a hill, while people with the mod would see it in plain sight.
Remember, the server decides if someone is behind a bush and is "invisible", so even if you remove the bush from your client you will not see the tank behind the bush because on the server the tank is still behind a bush and it will send no information about it to you. Only advantage of removing foliage is tracking an already visible tank as its easier to aim and fire when its completely visible then to have parts of it covered by bushes etc,

TalonV #27 Posted Mar 18 2013 - 15:34

Major

• Players
  • 27660 battles
  • [BURDY] BURDY
Good on the explanation, but I shall toss in a view point from an IT student perspective who knows a decent amount about Servers work.

The amount of programming and coding to do what the OP is talking about, it's like writing a very HUGE program.  Then dumping it into the system, assuming you get past the firewall, is going to be noticed. Maybe not right away, but during a server audit, IT WILL BE CAUGHT.  You cannot dump that kind of malicious programming into a server and expect it not to be caught and purged, along with who did it be be permabanned.

If you don't understand that. With the time and energy it takes to hack a server like WoT, a real hacker could rip off a bunch of banks, never be caught until it was too late and have a crap ton of money.

Seriously guys, it's not ever worth while to top hackers to hack something like WoT when there is ZERO return.

lostwingman #28 Posted Mar 18 2013 - 15:41

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 20334 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

View PostA_FIELD_MARSHAL, on Mar 17 2013 - 22:54, said:

I dont blame the guy for thinking that. The game doesnt explain its mechanics well enough for new players.
Yes it does, it's just new players look at the wiki and go "HURR TOO HARD" and then don't bother with it.

View PostKevlar1972, on Mar 18 2013 - 05:16, said:

You could hack it with a packet sniffer and at least do stuff like see all enemy all the time on the mini map.  Other stuff like removing vegetation or extending enemy barrels with lazer pointers are already around.
Visibility checks are done server side, not client side, you don't get that information. Go ahead and sniff what you want, you won't learn shit.

Edited by lostwingman, Mar 18 2013 - 15:43.

StormbringerII #29 Posted Mar 18 2013 - 20:40

Private

• Players
  • 13443 battles
you absolutely can hack server side games but it's not as simple as it used to be with games like COD etc. However like the games the hacks are smarter than before. To dismiss it and say nothing to see here is either whitewashing or naivety

Wraith27 #30 Posted Mar 18 2013 - 20:43

Captain

• Players
  • 13552 battles
  • [RMNT] RMNT

View Postwhariwharangi, on Mar 18 2013 - 02:51, said:

You are confusing the meanings of the words 'to hack' and 'to be a hack'.

This game has lots of hacks.

+1, would read again...

Asassian7 #31 Posted Mar 18 2013 - 22:06

Major

• Players
  • 10732 battles
  • [FOXEY] FOXEY

these mods are not allowed. they are banned on all servers except foliage on NA, which is going to be banned soon.

misscleo #32 Posted Mar 18 2013 - 23:23

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 19807 battles

View PostAsassian7, on Mar 18 2013 - 22:06, said:

these mods are not allowed. they are banned on all servers except foliage on NA, which is going to be banned soon.
AFAIK, there are no specific modifications officially prohibited for NA. Obviously mods that utilize modified python bytecode (ex. freecam, tracers, automatic repair/extinguisher, etc.) are not allowed for any region, but nothing specifically has ever been named. Do you have a source for what I bolded above?

sovietdoc #33 Posted Mar 18 2013 - 23:27

Captain

• Players
  • 9077 battles
  • [-PRO-] -PRO-
I've seen hacks in WoT.  So yes, it's possible to hack the game.

lostwingman #34 Posted Mar 18 2013 - 23:37

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 20334 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

View PostStormbringerII, on Mar 18 2013 - 20:40, said:

you absolutely can hack server side games but it's not as simple as it used to be with games like COD etc. However like the games the hacks are smarter than before. To dismiss it and say nothing to see here is either whitewashing or naivety
I don't think you understand that the issue isn't is it possible to, it is "is it feasible without breaking into the server" pro tip: it's not.

View Postsovietdoc, on Mar 18 2013 - 23:27, said:

I once got really drunk and saw God, true story.

Also I'm an idiot that doesn't understand game mechanics and calls it hax.

I read about mods that remove foliage
The majority of people who do that do it because it rapes their fps.
Also, again, server side does the spotting checks.

I sometimes have to aim through bushes and guess if they are going to hit a hill
If you haven't figured out yet that when your aimed at a tank your cursor is one color and when your aimed at an inanimate object it's a different color, you're bad@tanks.

NeatoMan #35 Posted Mar 18 2013 - 23:42

Major

• Players
  • 17998 battles
  • [5PANZ] 5PANZ

View Postlostwingman, on Mar 18 2013 - 23:37, said:

If you haven't figured out yet that when your aimed at a tank your cursor is one color and when your aimed at an inanimate object it's a different color, you're bad@tanks.
and what about when you are trying to lead a fast moving target?  You're cursor is not going to be on the tank.  it's much easier to do when you can actually see him rather than guessing.  Still this isn't going to be a big game changer, imo.

Hurk #36 Posted Mar 18 2013 - 23:43

Major

• Players
  • 23630 battles
  • [KGR] KGR

View PostAsassian7, on Mar 17 2013 - 22:51, said:

Hey guys, due to the recent events found in this this thread here: http://forum.worldof...bout-hacks/#top
I am posting this to explain how 'hacks' in World of Tanks work. I will also be using this thread to direct people to when they complain about hacks ingame.
So here it is:
WoT is a server side game, which means all the information is stored on a big server at WG HQ or wherever it is. Now to hack the game you need to hack into this server, which is very difficult to do in the least. So lets say your a computer wizz and managed it, you now make your T1 Cunningham invisible from more than 10m away and the ability to 1 shot every tank ingame. Well done you have hacked the game.
BUT!
Because the game is server side and all the info is on the server, now EVERY SINGLE T1 in the game has the same abilities as yours. So if someone else has it he can do the same things with it as you. its the same with rocks, if you made the rock invisible for you its invisible for everyone else, give your M4 sherman 500mm of armour and EVERY M4 sherman has 500mm of armour. This is why hacks arent used in this game.
Plus i give it 1 day max before WG realizes their server has been hacked and fixes it. And thats only if their lazing around all day doing nothing, or on strike.
So, in the bases of it, yes, you can 'hack' WoT. But it is extremely difficult and hacks do not work in the way that people want them to. Hence why people say there are no hacks in this game.
Thank you for reading :smiles:
while this is A hack, its not the only hacks that can or do exist. if you think there are no hacks, you are only fooling yourself.

hacks are any unintended results of the interaction of the client and server with the intent being a benefit to the player.
many exploit weaknesses in code based upon what should happen and what is allowed to happen.

here is an example from world of warcraft, the speed hack.
the speed hack revolved around the concept that the player could perform actions that increased their own speed for a time either through magic or the use of things like mounts. the hack came because of a failure at the server to do sanity checks on actions performed. in other words, the hackers edited the data sent to the server until they found out what the server would accept as real or not. they were able to fool the server into accepting bad run speed bonus values... for instance, the client would report to the server that it was using a combination of effects that ended up being multiplicative  but each was a partial action. the client was trusted to queue the actions to start, but the followups were not used to make sure the client stopped the actions. things such as mounting a horse, then dismounting were two part actions. part one, was gettiing on and preventing further actions such as spell casts, part two was setting a new player speed.

hackers found that they could issue the command to dismount without including the movement speed component.. the result is the player now moved as fast as if they were mounted while on foot, and had none of the restrictions of being mounted.

similar methods were used over the years to find other spells with similar issues, such as using zoning and disconnecting in sequence to cause temporary buffs to become permanent until death. abilities such as rogue "sprint" we used this way to speed hack for a time.

another method of hacking is called change detection. this we recently saw with the test server and the cost of a specific round of ammunition changing from one patch to the next.
players in WoW would transfer characters over with items that were set to be altered in a way to force things to happen badly, such as equipping a weapon you will no longer be able to wield, or intentionally logging out with detrimental spell effects active that would be changed after the next patch. I personally ran into this one, i had a warlock pet with a near permanent regeneration on it because the spell was re-coded .. the duration remaining was 28,000 days.  hackers play on test servers to intentionally discover these interactions.

physical hacking is not much of an issue in this game, but was in wow. things like a latency switch (a cable that you could pull one pen on, not sever your connection, but intentionally add lag)
wow used predictive pathing... with latency, your client keeps moving, you did not stop or rubberband... the server would sanity check how far and where you traveled... if it was a legitimate distance, it would take you there, the client was "trusted" to be accurate on the travel. in reality the character never moved, then teleported to the destination. This is why WoT doesnt trust the client to handle movement and lag causes you to turn/stop/contiune/rubberband.

just be happy whatever real hacks there are, they are kept to a minimum.

Asassian7 #37 Posted Mar 18 2013 - 23:44

Major

• Players
  • 10732 battles
  • [FOXEY] FOXEY

View Postmisscleo, on Mar 18 2013 - 23:23, said:

AFAIK, there are no specific modifications officially prohibited for NA. Obviously mods that utilize modified python bytecode (ex. freecam, tracers, automatic repair/extinguisher, etc.) are not allowed for any region, but nothing specifically has ever been named. Do you have a source for what I bolded above?
actually no. I remember Magor_Rampage saying something to that effect a month or so ago but i cant be bothered to find the thread. I should of been more specific tbh.

ChickenMcFuggits #38 Posted Mar 18 2013 - 23:47

Major

• Players
  • 20533 battles

View PostBattlecruiser, on Mar 18 2013 - 06:48, said:

you'll have been long dead from the spetsnaz loaded MI-24 dispatched to your house by putin himself
Which is why I'm saying Putin is OP.   Hold on. Somebody knocking on the door. BRB.

TalonV #39 Posted Mar 19 2013 - 00:54

Major

• Players
  • 27660 battles
  • [BURDY] BURDY

View Postsovietdoc, on Mar 18 2013 - 23:27, said:

which hacks are these and show proof please.

Genzing #40 Posted Mar 19 2013 - 00:57

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 13248 battles
  • [K3] K3
When someone calls you a hacker..  :glasses:  You know they just announced your supremacy over them. Anyways thanks for explaining this +1 for you