AT-8 Question

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
47 replies to this topic

VRMoran #1 Posted Mar 18 2013 - 17:59

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles
Mostly I have two questions here:

First, how is the armor on this compared to the AT-2? I only played one match thus far, but in that match I ended up getting killed very quickly by a Panzer IV. The armor looks the same, but seems to have a few weakspots.

Second, the stock gun is clearly pretty bad for this tank, but what about the second gun? It's a 75mm with the same rate of fire as the 6 Pounder, giving it an extraordinary damage per minute. While the penetration of it is pretty bad, could it still have some utility somehow as a spamming gun? Or perhaps as a rapid fire HE chucker? It will be about 20K XP before I can unlock the better gun, so I am curious.

1SLUGGO1 #2 Posted Mar 18 2013 - 18:03

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles
The armor is worse.  Not because the total values are lower, necessarily.  Firstly, you are a flat square box, so your easier to hit. Also, the armor is very patchy, and has several weak spots.  Finally, many of the tanks you face can easily penetrate your armor, even the thickest parts.

Additionally, the AT-2 faces lower tier vehicles, which have lower penetration.  The AT 2 also has a much smaller profile.  So with more inaccurate guns flinging rounds, your more likely to get a bounce.

My highest potential damage received in the AT 2 is almost 6k.  My highest in the AT 8 is more or less half that.

The HP does double, as the AT 8 has the HP of a tier 6 heavy tank, more or less, so that helps.

I would say get the top gun as soon as possible, since you basically go one way and your committed.  So if you find yourself facing tier 8 heavies without the top gun your basically screwed.  The top gun is a meh damage dealer at best, because with 170 ish pen, you really need to be able to flank.  Although it will take apart low armor targets pretty fast.

Elbow #3 Posted Mar 19 2013 - 16:38

Captain

• Players
  • 0 battles
I'm still in my AT-2 but looking at the AT-8 I can't see the appeal of it. I am usually one to sell each tank as I go to move the crew and $ forward to the next and then go back and buy the tank in the line I liked the most. This time I'm going to keep the AT-2 and crew in it and just try to get past the AT-8 as quickly as possible. The AT-2 spoils you I think with it's ability to bully your peers.

VRMoran #4 Posted Mar 19 2013 - 17:46

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles
So I did try out the 75mm....it's just aweful. The DPM is unreal, but it lacks the penetration to use it, and as an HE chucker it's eqaully bad. Like, side hits on a KV-1S for 10 damage.

Therefore, you're looking at a whopping 24,000 XP just to get a gun with enough penetration to do damage. After the horror that was the Valentine AT and the Alecto I was hoping to avoid more lethargic grind. This is just...terrible  :unsure:

Sawron91 #5 Posted Mar 19 2013 - 17:50

Private

• Players
  • 0 battles
Hello, I created an account here on the US forums just to reply to ur post. (I'm from EU).

First of all I do not agree with what SLUGG said, this is because I know the amount of damage that an AT 8 can take. And I can assure you, It is ALOT more than the AT 2.

Here's the proof: http://i.imgur.com/7beBYRK.jpg

View Post1SLUGGO1, on Mar 18 2013 - 18:03, said:

The top gun is a meh damage dealer at best, because with 170 ish pen, you really need to be able to flank.  Although it will take apart low armor targets pretty fast.

Please note that the TOP gun for the AT 8, is exactly the same top gun of the Black Prince, with exactly the same pen and the same alpha. Also note that the Black Prince is a tier 7 tank, while this is a tier 6. And the gun of the Black Prince is very decent, I do dmg about double the amount of my HP on my Black Prince each single game. So Do not underestimate that gun, And it can snipe pretty well due to its incredible accuracy.

Cheers.

Edit: with this gun on my Black Prince, i can even take out an IS3 head on straight on his frontal armor.

Edited by Sawron91, Mar 19 2013 - 17:52.

VRMoran #6 Posted Mar 19 2013 - 18:32

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostSawron91, on Mar 19 2013 - 17:50, said:

Hello, I created an account here on the US forums just to reply to ur post. (I'm from EU).

First of all I do not agree with what SLUGG said, this is because I know the amount of damage that an AT 8 can take. And I can assure you, It is ALOT more than the AT 2.

Here's the proof: http://i.imgur.com/7beBYRK.jpg

Please note that the TOP gun for the AT 8, is exactly the same top gun of the Black Prince, with exactly the same pen and the same alpha. Also note that the Black Prince is a tier 7 tank, while this is a tier 6. And the gun of the Black Prince is very decent, I do dmg about double the amount of my HP on my Black Prince each single game. So Do not underestimate that gun, And it can snipe pretty well due to its incredible accuracy.

Cheers.

Edit: with this gun on my Black Prince, i can even take out an IS3 head on straight on his frontal armor.

Ah! Thank you very much.

Yes, I have actually rather enjoyed the Black Prince. While it seems on paper to be merely a Churchill VII with more horsepower, hitpoints, and a better gun, something about it does rather well [though I was one of the few who actually LIKED the Churchill VII, so a better Churchill VII had to be something good lol].

The AT-8 looks like a tank that has potential. My biggest complaint about the AT-2 was the firepower, as it sometimes had trouble with dealing damage, and I can see that with the 17 Pounder really resolving that. However, while stock it's somewhat disheartening not being able to penetrate most tier 6 tanks at the ranges this tank is designed to operate. But I'll manage  :smile:

Sawron91 #7 Posted Mar 19 2013 - 18:40

Private

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostVRMoran, on Mar 19 2013 - 18:32, said:

Ah! Thank you very much.

Yes, I have actually rather enjoyed the Black Prince. While it seems on paper to be merely a Churchill VII with more horsepower, hitpoints, and a better gun, something about it does rather well [though I was one of the few who actually LIKED the Churchill VII, so a better Churchill VII had to be something good lol].

The AT-8 looks like a tank that has potential. My biggest complaint about the AT-2 was the firepower, as it sometimes had trouble with dealing damage, and I can see that with the 17 Pounder really resolving that. However, while stock it's somewhat disheartening not being able to penetrate most tier 6 tanks at the ranges this tank is designed to operate. But I'll manage  :smile:

You and I think alike my friend! :)

Sawron91 #8 Posted Mar 19 2013 - 18:45

Private

• Players
  • 0 battles
Also to make the grind abit more bearable, use HE ammo with the second gun you get (the 75mm). You won't do alot of dmg but the modules knockouts should be enough to give you XP more than the 6 pounder would. Also if you really get to the point where you want to blow up your keyboard, you can always use some premium ammo against the heavy armored opponents, until you get the better gun!

Stagger #9 Posted Mar 20 2013 - 15:27

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles
1st and 2nd gun are terrible. 3rd gun is awesome. Took twice as long to get 3rd gun than to get 4th.

I hated it until I got those last 2 guns, now it just melts anything it comes across. Be sure to abuse your gun placement and hide your right hull. It is a huge weakspot, and you can even hide the commanders cupula while still having the gun out.

Sgt_Varik #10 Posted Mar 20 2013 - 19:50

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostVRMoran, on Mar 19 2013 - 17:46, said:

So I did try out the 75mm....it's just aweful. The DPM is unreal, but it lacks the penetration to use it, and as an HE chucker it's eqaully bad. Like, side hits on a KV-1S for 10 damage.

Therefore, you're looking at a whopping 24,000 XP just to get a gun with enough penetration to do damage. After the horror that was the Valentine AT and the Alecto I was hoping to avoid more lethargic grind. This is just...terrible  :unsure:

I should mention, that as an HE chucker, your probably wiping out that KV1Ss modules in addition to that little 10 damage.....

Edit:  In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if you wiped out half the internal mechanisms of the tank and painted the internal hull with what was left of the crew.....

Edited by Sgt_Varik, Mar 20 2013 - 19:53.

cavscout_19D #11 Posted Mar 20 2013 - 21:44

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 0 battles
Havent been much of a TD player, have the T-18,T-49 (both of which are awesome) and the SU-122-44, which was a gift tank.
Have fallen for the little Tier V TD, its spunky.
Only have a few battles(16), but Ive also tried out it's 3"howzer gun. Slow rate of fire compared to the M4/PzkIV.
Like it so much(AT-2) that I got the AT-8(only 18 battles so far).
But this TD makes for either a good rear line sniper or just behind the heavies.(you can give the poor little Pzk38(na) someplace to hide).
But you HAVE to grind out the 14,500 exp gun in order to really be effective. The gun before it will do for a bit.

I give them both a thumbs up.

Good Luck & Good Hunting
Move!

Khanwulf #12 Posted Mar 21 2013 - 17:48

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles
As a quick comment: both the AT-8 and AT-2 shine even brighter in a platoon with the same tank (or if you're really feeling trollish, 3 of the same).  That will go a long way to getting the 3rd AT-8 gun.  As others have said, it's fast then to the 4th.

--Khanwulf

PS edit: best way to get these platoons?  Ask folks in your pub matches to team up for a bit--or your friends, assuming you have any.  :harp:

Edited by Khanwulf, Mar 21 2013 - 17:51.

ajaxfetish #13 Posted Mar 22 2013 - 00:10

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles
I splurged and used free xp to go straight to the 3rd gun.  I looked at the stats on those first two and knew I didn't want to deal with that.  Fortunately, you don't need to upgrade the tracks to mount the 3rd gun, so it's only 18.5k to get to it.  Pricey, but could be worse.

rocketbrainsurgeon #14 Posted Mar 22 2013 - 02:38

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 0 battles
  • The effective armor is roughly equivalent to the AT 2.  Derp guns hurt the AT 2 a lot, as even if they miss the weakspot they'll do OK damage.  And if they hit, it can be a 1-shot.  The AT 8 doesn't have that problem as much, but does face a lot of 200 pen guns which can pen nearly anywhere on the tank.
  • The stock and first upgraded guns are completely unusable.  I suffered through that garbage, but if you can free XP to the third gun it'll save you a lot of heartache.  I was averaging 280 XP/game with the first two guns, and ended at 741 XP/game when I sold it for the AT 7.  It really is a drastic difference.

the_moidart #15 Posted Mar 22 2013 - 03:39

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
Having picked apart a AT-8 frontally with stock gun at2, I can say the main problem with the AT8 is its weak spots on the right hull around the non firing 20mm gun. Easy as sin to hit, and you can hit them while their hulls partially hulldown, and more easily then the cupolas.

tienguan #16 Posted Mar 27 2013 - 07:57

Private

• Players
  • 0 battles
i felt i rather use my at 2 than at 8. i miss my derp gun which can kill enemy tanks faster than what i am using now for at 8 (2nd gun). the tank is too boxy and not very manoeuvrable. keep getting taken by the side and than got shot to bits.

mrnotwo #17 Posted Mar 28 2013 - 17:38

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
at8 is one of the best tier 6 tds in this game. Armor is okay but the td is very small in size so it's hard to fight it at long range.

Armor #18 Posted Mar 28 2013 - 20:16

Captain

• Players
  • 0 battles
The AT8 is stunning at tier 6. It suffers from more dangerous matchmaking than the AT2 of course, but I felt its gun was far more effective for its tier than the AT2 gun was at Tier 5. It's also still got superb armor.

Not to mention that it's got the gun mounted on the far side, so you can pull some REALLY silly games with hard cover, so only 1/4 of your tank is showing and you're blasting away merrily.

The AT7 is even more incredible, though, IMO. Wish I'd kept it.

Krusenstern #19 Posted Mar 30 2013 - 10:22

Captain

• Players
  • 0 battles
Out of the handful of battles I have done in the AT8 (fully upgraded from the first battle), like half of them have been 2000+ damage/match. Despite the awful gun traverse, depression and even elevation, it is a pretty good TD. People often don't shoot back (not sure if because they don't spot me or think they can't pen me, no Sixth Sense perk yet), and the aimtime and accuracy make moving the hull less damaging to my aim as on other TDs. It is rather easy to do twice your HP in damage.
Regrettably it is also very easy to lose encounter matches to a capping enemy. I don't think I have lost to capping as badly in any other tank. Stuff like 11-2 but losing. Just now 6 kills 2K damge but lost. Because this thing is too slow to get from a good position to cap to reset. Unless you drive for the cap right from the start, but then you often sabotage your damage potential.
I guess I am going to turn off encounter and assault while I grind this one.

Edited by Krait23, Mar 30 2013 - 10:23.

Sgt_Varik #20 Posted Mar 31 2013 - 06:01

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles
Tested the tanks 75 mm with an HE chucker, my god the amount of crits.  It certainly doesn't appear that your doing a lot of damage, but by aiming at every external module and hitting it twice (sometimes 3 just for insurance), the thing would just wreck them. My advice for the stock grind is to either free xp to the 77 mm or use this lil 75 mm as an HE chucker.

Other notes:

The armor is deceptively weak, this is due to the fact that it isn't sloped at all, and that it has a LOT of weak-spots   In fact I know of a VERY weak spot on the armor (from the front), that I was able to pen with nearly any of the non-scout t4 guns (I suspect even some of the higher penning t4 scouts could potentially pen this weak spot too).  However, versus noobs or at extreme range (preferably both) your armor will bounce nearly everything it faces.

Its 3rd gun is pretty nice, although it does have some troubles penning higher tiers without aiming for weakspots (and you should always be aiming at weak spots, no reason not to with the extreme accuracy of this little thing).