Editing DDs files

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

H8M3 #1 Posted Mar 23 2013 - 20:36

Major

• Players
  • 9081 battles
  • [H8] H8
Ive been using paint.net to edit files , my only question is, how do i keep transparency in the pictures i add to scenes? cars, houses, garage, ect.. i keep having to fill the "transparent" parts cause they fill with color on paste, please help.

maybe a better dds editor? any ideas?

misscleo #2 Posted Mar 23 2013 - 20:45

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 19769 battles
Can you explain what you're trying to do, what files you're editing, or maybe post a screenshot? Not sure what you mean by "keep transparency in the pictures I add to scenes."

Hristosko #3 Posted Mar 23 2013 - 21:11

Major

• Players
  • 10632 battles
Use the eraser, if that's what you mean.

Maggz #4 Posted Mar 24 2013 - 03:27

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 24192 battles
  • [-TRN-] -TRN-
depends on the DDS files your editing, they also have Shine map files and normal map files that would require editing, and if your using paint.net you cant create those files in proper formats, use photoshop cs with nvidia plugin to do those files.

Dezhnyov #5 Posted Mar 24 2013 - 05:48

Corporal

• Players
  • 18140 battles
  • [REL-A] REL-A
Maggz is correct, although could he use gimp for those as well? I'm not sure but just openly brainstorming...

Maggz #6 Posted Mar 24 2013 - 06:35

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 24192 battles
  • [-TRN-] -TRN-
again i am not sure about gimp. i know for the shine map and normal map clones of the original files, i had to download a plugin for use with photoshop, basically the DDS files have the samefile_NM (normal map) < this allows the image to have its 3 dimensional shaping thru using the normal map in the filter, then it has a samefile_SM < shine map, basically your turning the image to a grey scale of its original and u can lighten or darken that to create the amount of light reflection your main file images should have. Now if your trying to turn some portion of that dds file in the main file transparent and you dont remove those portions in the the others, it will not show transparency.

Edited by Maggz, Mar 24 2013 - 06:36.

H8M3 #7 Posted Mar 24 2013 - 08:12

Major

• Players
  • 9081 battles
  • [H8] H8
ok i figured it out, i have to import the picture rather then copy and paste it, im making a few different mods, tanks themes, and editing houses, premium garage, cars , trucks , and other stuff in battle. When im finished i'll post my work, thnx yall for your help.

Maggz #8 Posted Mar 24 2013 - 15:42

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 24192 battles
  • [-TRN-] -TRN-
ok now you have confused me, are you saying your having an issue with the actual flat image inside the program your using to edit the image with. I did use paint.net for a while, but found it lacking when it came the creation and altering of the shine map and normal map files, however it sounds to me, you just having vopy and paste issues, when using paint.net i noticed i had to create an alternate layer on the image to cut and paste images on for transparency purposes. basically, i would take my clans icon and try to paste it onto the image and it would continue to have the 64x64 image box transparencys, meaning id have my clan logo and it would erase all images and such inside of that 64x64 area, unless i created a new layer and pasted it onto that new layer, then it all worked fine. possibly thats the issue your describing, and if so also try that type of solution and let me know if that also works for your editing.

H8M3 #9 Posted Mar 25 2013 - 04:36

Major

• Players
  • 9081 battles
  • [H8] H8

View PostMaggz, on Mar 24 2013 - 15:42, said:

ok now you have confused me, ....

thats exactly what i was having problems with, i finally figured out the layer thing, so now its no prob adding camo, my clan symbol, ect to the dds files, unless they dont have transparency already in them, on that issue im still having trouble converting picture formats into ones that will work with transparency, pickin the transparency color, and getting it to actually be transparent after i save, but, other then that all other issues have been solved, thnx for your help :)

BushwackerX #10 Posted Mar 25 2013 - 04:40

Corporal

• Players
  • 1135 battles
If you want to create specular maps (Shine) or normal maps/bumb maps/height maps google CrazyBump. They have a demo or you can buy it. Very nice.

Download gimp and get the nvidea .dds plugin for gimp if you dont have photoshop. Theres a an nvidea .dds plugin for photoshop as well that will load and save to .dds.
It'll be much easier than using paint.

I would also google some tutoriuals in reguard to making transparencies and basic game textures. I still model with 3ds max but I havent created textures in a while but anything you want to know is out there, just google it.

First model and texture I ever did, way back when. With specular (Shine) and a bump map. Not bragging just showing what you can learn from tutorials.
This will show you how to create an alpha map: http://www.axialis.c...al-misc001.html

Posted Image

Edited by BushwackerX, Mar 25 2013 - 04:55.

Maggz #11 Posted Mar 25 2013 - 07:16

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 24192 battles
  • [-TRN-] -TRN-
Yeah i would suggest something like Photoshop or even gimp wish the nvidia dds tools, it is VERY nice and very easy to use, just make sure when you use the layers to paste in that your flattening the layers before saving and such, there is a great tutorial out there by Verbul (may have name spelled wrong) of how to use photoshop with the dds toold that can show you how to use it pretty easily. He shows you how to use it editing garage hangars and such, so it is pretty relevent info to use as a resource. Photoshop CS5 is what im currently using with the DDS tools, yes i know there is newer photoshop but hey this is what i had and why pay for upgrades if you dont need em lol.  You must remember Paint.NET being free has its limitations, and i didnt find a way using that to create the DDS files and have them actually look decent. if your only editing the normal DDS files without changing shine maps and normal maps your images will still contain the 3d effects and lighting created from the old NM and SM files your not creating, sometimes making your hard work look a bit ugly. On a side not for your transparent images, dont save the as interlaced, that adds a background behind it all by default (if that is an issue your saying having trouble saving them as transparent).

H8M3 #12 Posted Mar 25 2013 - 07:17

Major

• Players
  • 9081 battles
  • [H8] H8
checkin out that 3ds MAX, it might be to complicated, but ive found a few youtube videos that might help a bit, i diddnt even know there was a tool like this. bad at spelin, ill admit that, but good at figuring out stuff :) wish me luck !