Churchill VII, how do you progress with this tank?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
82 replies to this topic

Madox76 #21 Posted Apr 10 2013 - 18:50

Captain

• Players
  • 27604 battles
  • [BEERS] BEERS
Hmm went back to my Churchill III premium lastnight cuz always loved playing it.  Wanted to see just what was so different other then cheap repair cost and boosted credit earnings.  It hit me something I do with Churchill III that really wasn't doing on I or VII and frankly I see on any good game using the I VII or BP.... simply the player never stops moving.  Its an enemy plow and moves your team along

Never stop moving and firing the tank is by far one of the most stable platforms in game for firing so not giving up much that way.  Guns are all rapid fire enough that still output alof of firepower and well ammo is cheap and plentiful.  Also by constantly moving your giving enemy as little time as possible to aim and target weak spots.

Not to mention with as slow as tank is needs all the movement it can get.

Since I have to go back to the Churchill I to grind up xp for the TD have to keep this in mind and put it to practice.  honestly the games that I ahd that were good on I and VII don't remember stopping much at all other then a few times were I got Side Scrape to work well for me.

kawaiherbata #22 Posted Apr 13 2013 - 00:16

Corporal

• Players
  • 3219 battles
  • [B0RT] B0RT
So is the (tier 6) Vickers 75mm HV the way to go with the Churchill VII? Is the (tier 7) QQF 77mm Mk. II viable at all for the Churchill VII?

Edited by kawaiherbata, Apr 13 2013 - 00:17.

sharlin648 #23 Posted Apr 13 2013 - 09:03

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 15078 battles
  • [KGS] KGS
Both guns are nigh identical and both are underperformers that will laugh at you when you get thrown at Teir 8's which will happen with startling regularity.  How to grind through the VII? There's two ways.

A:  Don't.  Just don't.

B: Free XP.  The quicker you get out of this horrid rot box the better.

If you are a sadist there is of course;

C:  Fully research everything and keep grinding.  By the time you're done you'll want to uppercut babies onto rabid pitbulls draped in barbed wire rather than drive the VII again.

kawaiherbata #24 Posted Apr 14 2013 - 01:54

Corporal

• Players
  • 3219 battles
  • [B0RT] B0RT
Thank you for reply Sharlin. Unfortunately I have chosen the C route as I do not have enough free xp saved to escape this tier outright. That being said, I currently have researched all the modifications available and now only have to grind out 58k xp (wish me luck lol). Anyway, I appreciate the response. Cheers,

nublex #25 Posted Apr 14 2013 - 02:24

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 17549 battles

View Postkawaiherbata, on Apr 13 2013 - 00:16, said:

So is the (tier 6) Vickers 75mm HV the way to go with the Churchill VII? Is the (tier 7) QQF 77mm Mk. II viable at all for the Churchill VII?
QF77 have much better trajectory, upgrade asap.

YuriPup #26 Posted Apr 15 2013 - 03:51

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 19347 battles
I did well in the I and the BP, the VII I loathed. The 77 does make life better.

alex08060 #27 Posted Apr 16 2013 - 02:18

Major

• Players
  • 6350 battles
  • [_UP_] _UP_
Need to note down while the Churchill 1 has a speed limit of 25km/h, the Churchill 7 and Black prince has only a speed limit of 20 km/h.

sargentmki #28 Posted Apr 16 2013 - 08:19

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 9560 battles
I still do not see the issues with the Churchill 7 from stock to its current finished state. I find i do well in the tank even in tier 8 games.
But then i have experience with:
A) comet, cromwell, so i am use to using the guns at these tiers (and worse!)

B)The TOG2, so i LAUGH at peoples issues with the tanks speed. Compared to the TOG, the BP and Churchill 7 are speed demons!

So here is some advice on using this tank.

1. either tilt the tank to protect the front against enemy tanks, or  side scrap against low damage tanks(1s, TDS can still get thru if they aim well)
Both of these tactics work VERY well especially against bad players who don't know where to aim. Just take care there is ammo rack IN THE TRACKS and the parts of the track that stick out are weakpoints. So side scrapping wont work very well against smart enemies but is much more effective than getting shot in the front as even auto aim noobs will get thru with a strong enough gun.

2. your one of the best low tier punish tanks. The high rate of fire will demolish low tier tanks, and the Churchills high health, armor and sheer staying power will allow you to march thru low tier tanks with ease. So seek out positions where you can use your gun effectively(flanks, positions to intercept low tier tanks.)

3. Learn to aim for weak points. The gun as we know is not extremely strong, but fires very fast. So to use this advantage, you must know where to aim.

4. against high tiers, flank primary force tanks.(you stand no chance against an IS-3 in a frontal battle) and stay way from the bigger tanks and keep to what your good at, support. Just stay alive, don't try to be a hero your a support tank not a front line tank, especially in tier 8 games. Tier 7 games you have enough armor to bounce a few rounds and can make a push if need be. Just remember to utilize cover otherwise arty and other tanks will take you down.

5. KEEP SHOOTING, You carry a lot of rounds, and have a very low reload time. So as long as you position yourself where your not getting killed, keep firing and killing enemies. You are to slow and lack alpha to wait for enemies to make a move.(AKA CAMPING) Unless you are in a tier 8 game where aggressive moves without cover will just get you killed.

6. if your on top, screw everyone and carry the team. Use side scrapping  armor tilting, supporting fire, and constant aggression to bounce rounds or take them into the tracks and carry your team to victory. Make yourself a hard target to kill and overwhelm and keep pumping out rounds, and you will find you will be doing MASSIVE damage and winning the game for your team.

IMO the churchill 7 is the opposite of the kv-1s. As it isn't fast, lacks alpha, has accuracy, and can take a good deal of punishment. With this in mind the Churchill 7 is underestimated, but truly is a tank to be reckoned with and be respected. Its not a great, or balanced tank, but it is good at what it does.

Edited by sargentmki, Apr 16 2013 - 08:24.

Johnny_Mars #29 Posted Apr 17 2013 - 15:14

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 11461 battles
I haven't played the Church 7 much yet, so I can't claim to have it fully figured out, but I think it works well defending long straightaways and in mid-to-late-game attacks. I had a good game helping to block the valley on Lakeville, for example, and another by rumbling down the hill side of Abbey and attacking the enemy flag area. In both cases I had support, an SPG and a TD in the Lakeville battle and a couple of meds in the Abbey battle. I doubt this tank will ever accomplish a lot alone, but it's not so bad when used as a roadblock and/or battering-ram.

Edited by Johnny_Mars, Apr 17 2013 - 15:14.

nublex #30 Posted Apr 17 2013 - 16:35

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 17549 battles

View Postsargentmki, on Apr 16 2013 - 08:19, said:

I still do not see the issues with the Churchill 7 from stock to its current finished state. I find i do well in the tank even in tier 8 games.
But then i have experience with:
A) comet, cromwell, so i am use to using the guns at these tiers (and worse!)

B)The TOG2, so i LAUGH at peoples issues with the tanks speed. Compared to the TOG, the BP and Churchill 7 are speed demons!

So here is some advice on using this tank........
I am sorry, Churchill VII is very different from TOG or Cruiser line tanks.

1) No, Churchill is most vulnerable at angle, presenting the weak 60mm 'hull' within 20mm tracks. And I doubt it is 60mm as 3Dmodels shows as I frequently took full damage from derp and arty hitting my tracks.

2)As I have mention, add it weak point around the gun, Churchill VII is only 'good' at taking punishment because it is small for a heavy.

3)Well, against tier 8 heavies you just couldn't do meaningful damage, given the luck require to hit weak spots.

4)Unlike cruiser tanks, Churchill VII can only go 20km/h, nor does it possess large pool of hit points to deter opposing flanking force.

5)Well place shoots usually beats random shots.

6) Refer to point 1.

alex08060 #31 Posted Apr 18 2013 - 01:35

Major

• Players
  • 6350 battles
  • [_UP_] _UP_
They have to buff the speed to 25km/h before I would consider using the Churchill 7 again.

sargentmki #32 Posted Apr 18 2013 - 19:48

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 9560 battles

View Postnublex, on Apr 17 2013 - 16:35, said:

I am sorry, Churchill VII is very different from TOG or Cruiser line tanks.1) No, Churchill is most vulnerable at angle, presenting the weak 60mm 'hull' within 20mm tracks. And I doubt it is 60mm as 3Dmodels shows as I frequently took full damage from derp and arty hitting my tracks.2)As I have mention, add it weak point around the gun, Churchill VII is only 'good' at taking punishment because it is small for a heavy.3)Well, against tier 8 heavies you just couldn't do meaningful damage, given the luck require to hit weak spots.4)Unlike cruiser tanks, Churchill VII can only go 20km/h, nor does it possess large pool of hit points to deter opposing flanking force.5)Well place shoots usually beats random shots.6) Refer to point 1.
I am mistaken, your right cruisers are the faster tanks of the Brits. The church is an infantry support tank.
You cant bounce HE rounds, but you can reflect some of the damage done from HE guns like the m4s 105. Artillery cant be stopped easily and your beat hope is to stay arty safe.
If your fighting an HE derp tank presenting a sloped SIDE or highly angled area of the tank, the HE round will do lower damage due to not being able to pen fully.
In a tier 8 game if you aren't in a flaking position your just plain useless. But if you ARE in a position where you can hit enemy tanks flanks with your team doing the spotting you will deal great damage and help your team greatly. Generally getting to the spot at the right time and not getting spotted and killed is the name of the game in a tier 8 match.
You deal hilarious DPM compared to other tier 8 tanks, as long as your in a position to deal it.

Clunas #33 Posted Apr 18 2013 - 20:56

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 15206 battles
  • [VX9] VX9
After you get it fully upgraded, it's somewhat trollish. The Churchill 7 bounces quite a few shots, and the rof on the gun makes up for the lack of damage (granted you can pen your target).

Madox76 #34 Posted Apr 18 2013 - 21:25

Captain

• Players
  • 27604 battles
  • [BEERS] BEERS

View PostClunas, on Apr 18 2013 - 20:56, said:

After you get it fully upgraded, it's somewhat trollish. The Churchill 7 bounces quite a few shots, and the rof on the gun makes up for the lack of damage (granted you can pen your target).

Its ROF is good but being so slow means using its rof to best effect is real hard(Assuming not spamming gold rounds).  Need to be agile and get on flanks which with its speed isn't easy.  The gun really needs more pen in order to handle other tanks heavy frontal armor but its a slow Heavy stuck with a fast mediums gun.

If got tons of credits and can spam gold rounds then ehhh no biggy it will pen everything making it alot easier to play.  But most people can't do this leaving teh gun as a very weak gun for a heavy slow tank.

nublex #35 Posted Apr 19 2013 - 00:35

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 17549 battles

View Postsargentmki, on Apr 18 2013 - 19:48, said:

I am mistaken, your right cruisers are the faster tanks of the Brits. The church is an infantry support tank.
You cant bounce HE rounds, but you can reflect some of the damage done from HE guns like the m4s 105. Artillery cant be stopped easily and your beat hope is to stay arty safe.
If your fighting an HE derp tank presenting a sloped SIDE or highly angled area of the tank, the HE round will do lower damage due to not being able to pen fully.
In a tier 8 game if you aren't in a flaking position your just plain useless. But if you ARE in a position where you can hit enemy tanks flanks with your team doing the spotting you will deal great damage and help your team greatly. Generally getting to the spot at the right time and not getting spotted and killed is the name of the game in a tier 8 match.
You deal hilarious DPM compared to other tier 8 tanks, as long as your in a position to deal it.
Sadly only Churchill three can do this; Churchill I and VII is rig with weak spots round and around that derps does significant more damage compare to hits land on KV or T1/M6.

For spot and stall, main lane is better than flank; but if that flank happens to be town/urban, than yes Churchill VII can do 'something'.

DPM only works as counter wolfpack, that is if the sheep can live long enough.

sargentmki #36 Posted Apr 19 2013 - 03:56

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 9560 battles
I hope you mean in a tier 6-7 game when you say the main defense lanes. Since its pretty obvious the Churchill 7 wont be able to do much other than die when directly fighting a tier 8 tank.

there are a great number of weakpoints on the sides/ front of the tank that derps can get thru. The KV  line has bigger tracks and smaller sides that take HE damage better than the churchills. I personally do not believe the t1 or m6 to be actually better at taking flank shots from derps. Since both have horribly unarmored, flat open sides. Plus derps do not have the best accuracy, so fighting at mid ranges should give better chances at survival. Throw on the obviously higher DPM of the church and you should do fine against derps in an open environment where there is limited cover and range between the Church and the Derper.

DPM wins if you get an enemy in the open. For instance a Churchill continuously pounding away at a t34 side in a tier 8 game is more damaging than similar tier 8 tanks(Church deals ~ 2k DPM). But this is a difficult position to get to due to the Churchill's speed and that is only if you hit and pen every shot, so its not game breakingly effective. It does takes some work and planning to get to such positions.

Edited by sargentmki, Apr 19 2013 - 03:58.

Johnny_Mars #37 Posted Apr 19 2013 - 12:26

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 11461 battles

View Postsargentmki, on Apr 19 2013 - 03:56, said:

I hope you mean in a tier 6-7 game when you say the main defense lanes. Since its pretty obvious the Churchill 7 wont be able to do much other than die when directly fighting a tier 8 tank.
There's a lot to be said for dying well. In one game, my Church 7 drew the fire of a Super-Pershing, Type 59, and an SPG for a good two minutes. They hit me 10 times before they got me, and the Type 59 was killed in the process. I did no damage, but got ~1,200 pts of "Damage Upon Spotting" and my team won the match.

Rockbridge13 #38 Posted Apr 19 2013 - 15:15

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 6999 battles
This tank is just a total POS. It does OK on its own tier, even against a KV-1S at distance as long as they haven't figured our your weakspot (death tracks). In a BT8 match, you are just totally useless in every way, can't pen, can't bounce, can't flank, can't support, can't...etc.

I will be so happy when I'm done grinding through this, its getting sold the second I have the required exp. Definitely one of the worst Tier 6 tanks and probably the worst Tier 6 HT.

Big_Cat_Piranha #39 Posted Apr 20 2013 - 22:11

Corporal

• Players
  • 6953 battles
  • [COGG] COGG
I actually prefer i when there are a few tier 7s in the battle. If you're top tank arty will pound you and tds focus fire on you so you die quickly. You can hold off tier 7 heavies with support and proper angling/side-scraping. I held of a 3-4 tanks before on a flank with an su-5 for support once. they included a t-29, m6, and french tier five arty. watch out for arty and tds. they make you armor basically useless.

I just finished grinding the exp for the black prince today. I still have to make 1000000 credits though so I'll be using this tank for a while. I'll have to try the BP before I decide which church I'm gonna keep.

Edited by Big_Cat_Piranha, Apr 20 2013 - 22:13.

sargentmki #40 Posted Apr 21 2013 - 10:01

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 9560 battles

View PostJohnny_Mars, on Apr 19 2013 - 12:26, said:

There's a lot to be said for dying well. In one game, my Church 7 drew the fire of a Super-Pershing, Type 59, and an SPG for a good two minutes. They hit me 10 times before they got me, and the Type 59 was killed in the process. I did no damage, but got ~1,200 pts of "Damage Upon Spotting" and my team won the match.

Yea, there's always exception to the rule. But if these 4 guys knew where to aim, how to aim im sure you wouldn't of taken very many rounds. But giving an example of how you didn't insta die, doesn't make your death completely justified. Don't get me wrong dieing isn't the worst thing, losing is. But having dieing itself doesn't help the team most of the time. (body shield to allow a scout to cap for instance.)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users