Churchill VII, how do you progress with this tank?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
82 replies to this topic

nublex #41 Posted Apr 21 2013 - 11:00

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 17549 battles
Against two tier VIII in a Churchill VII and get one of them kill while drawing some arty fire is completely justified.

Churchill VII isn't even a low tier stormper, asking it to hold two tier VIII with nothing short of good armour is well over done.

sharlin648 #42 Posted Apr 21 2013 - 14:52

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 15078 battles
  • [KGS] KGS
Worst thing about this tank is the number of teir 8 matches I found myself thrown into. It just wasn't funny.  It seemed every battle was a case of *waddle forwards watching the team vanish into the distance.  Go round a corner or crest a hill.  A WILD IS-3 APPEARS. Open Fire!  Bounce. Bounce, bounce, bounce, 0 damage hit, bounce. DIE IN FIRE. Exit match swearing.*

indigowhale #43 Posted Apr 21 2013 - 15:09

Captain

• Players
  • 19628 battles
Well I'd love to give advice for this tank, but honestly, I think a good part of my success in the Churchill 7 was luck (66% wins in 62 battles).  However, knowing weak spots is pretty critical.

The gun is accurate and fast firing, and the tank has fairly good accuracy on the move. Keep moving so you can keep shooting, because this thing is not a peekaboo heavy.

Despite being so slow, I think it is a tank that requires an aggressive playstyle.

Overall I liked the tank, but I don't really know how I made it work.

sargentmki #44 Posted Apr 22 2013 - 09:06

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 9560 battles

View Postnublex, on Apr 21 2013 - 11:00, said:

Against two tier VIII in a Churchill VII and get one of them kill while drawing some arty fire is completely justified. Churchill VII isn't even a low tier stormper, asking it to hold two tier VIII with nothing short of good armour is well over done.

That sorta case, ya its worth the trade no doubt. But any tank with any sort of survivability can do that, even more so most players should be able to do that.
Low tier stomping with the churchill 7 is from tier 6 down to 4. Tier 7 is still above a Churchill 7, level(lol). The tank is a low tier stomper because it can STOMP LOW TIER TANKS. Not take on tier 8 tanks and stomp them.

Edited by sargentmki, Apr 22 2013 - 09:11.

nublex #45 Posted Apr 22 2013 - 12:26

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 17549 battles

View Postsargentmki, on Apr 22 2013 - 09:06, said:

That sorta case, ya its worth the trade no doubt. But any tank with any sort of survivability can do that, even more so most players should be able to do that.
Be surprised by people how fail to hold their ego and die horribly and leave a big gap in the line even as top tank.
And so you agreed Churchill VII is a horrible tank with no advantage of it own?

Low tier stomping with the churchill 7 is from tier 6 down to 4. Tier 7 is still above a Churchill 7, level(lol). The tank is a low tier stomper because it can STOMP LOW TIER TANKS. Not take on tier 8 tanks and stomp them.
Well, Churchill VII ISN'T a low tier stormper , you can read my post early about how misleading and ineffective its given armour layout is. Other low tier stormper like KV-1S, KV-2 or Sherman Jumbo can give higher tiers run for credits, nor does it enjoy godliness like Matilda or AMX-40.

sargentmki #46 Posted Apr 23 2013 - 03:40

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 9560 battles

View Postnublex, on Apr 22 2013 - 12:26, said:

Be surprised by people how fail to hold their ego and die horribly and leave a big gap in the line even as top tank.
And so you agreed Churchill VII is a horrible tank with no advantage of it own?

Well, Churchill VII ISN'T a low tier stormper , you can read my post early about how misleading and ineffective its given armour layout is. Other low tier stormper like KV-1S, KV-2 or Sherman Jumbo can give higher tiers run for credits, nor does it enjoy godliness like Matilda or AMX-40.

Yea if you suck, you will die. Goes for any tank in the game. Im more surprised when someone goes above and beyond and carries the team, seriously lol.
It doesn't have the most effective armor layout in the game, but its armor exists in more places it doesn't, it also carries a great gun for taking out lower tier tanks at any range, and has good health values which gives it better survivability thru sheer health. All the tanks you just mentioned are derp status tanks that are great at one shotting tanks. The Church is great at punishing tanks that aren't using cover, and keeping the pain flowing outside of insta killing tanks.
Similarly lower tier tanks in general have a much harder time killing a Churchill 7 than most tier 6 tanks. Anything less than 105 HE rounds has high chances of bouncing. Because most tier 5-4 tanks do not carry large cannons that can out damage a Churchill 7 shot per shot, nor do they carry enough DPM, the Church should have absolutely no problem with a large majority of tanks in a 1v1 situation.
KV-2 can get flanked, and out turned by most tanks due to very low turret traverse. The Sherman Jumbo carries medium firepower, or 105 HE gun, both of which make it better than the Church 7 against low armored targets. But unless the E2 uses the top turret, it lacks similar DPM.
And the 1S is agreeably very powerful regardless of what teir, as long as it doesn't get swarmed or flanked.

Im very sorry but the AMX-40 is in no way a better tank than the Churchill 7.

nublex #47 Posted Apr 23 2013 - 15:51

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 17549 battles

View Postsargentmki, on Apr 23 2013 - 03:40, said:

It doesn't have the most effective armor layout in the game, but its armor exists in more places it doesn't,
Feel free to check at 3Dmodels, its 'good' armour only exists at rather small area and obvious/odd places; on top of that, it have (not at all small) holes in those area.

it also carries a great gun for taking out lower tier tanks at any range, and has good health values which gives it better survivability thru sheer health.
Do a KV test and I am sure you would being throwing your mouse in no time even with 77mm.

As for Hit points....
Churchill VII 880
ARL 44 820
M6 870
KV-1S 810
KV-2 860
VK3601 850 (I know it isn't a heavy but the closest thing German has)
We are looking at 60~10 hit points more, and weird enough it seems better armoured the contemporary tank is the more hit points it gets (M6>KV-2>VK3601). Still, the advantage is more or less half a hit, meaning Churchill VII's hit point advantage is only useful on a kill shot roll rather low.

All the tanks you just mentioned are derp status tanks that are great at one shotting tanks. The Church is great at punishing tanks that aren't using cover, and keeping the pain flowing outside of insta killing tanks.
Do I need to pull out Tiger P, Type59, JT88, KV-5 and so on?
In fact, KV-5 would be a good example of good armour, decent gun against non-heavy, but does well despite rather large R2D2 weak spot. The difference between KV-5 and Churchill VII is KV-5 can bounce Tier 8 gun on the side once in a while, while Churchill VII cannot; Snap shot at KV-5's front rarely found its way into R2D2, while it is quite easy to hit Churchill Vll's many weak spots; KV-5 can take quite a few pounding by arty but Churchill VII cannot....the list keeps going on, in short, Churchill VII's armour is delusional at best.

Similarly lower tier tanks in general have a much harder time killing a Churchill 7 than most tier 6 tanks. Anything less than 105 HE rounds has high chances of bouncing. Because most tier 5-4 tanks do not carry large cannons that can out damage a Churchill 7 shot per shot, nor do they carry enough DPM, the Church should have absolutely no problem with a large majority of tanks in a 1v1 situation.
Not sure if 40% bounce is high, and that is from 6pdr MkV.....

For US 76mm Churchill VII isn't worst than KV-1

Those two and 105 derp are the predominant guns at Tier V, than we have French 90mm (probably miss more than bouncing), Russian 85mm (more or less the same as US 76mm) and 122mm (derp), VickerHV from Churchill I and 3cm from Leopard (don't think any sane Leopard driver would slug it out with Churchill VII).

Sure in a full on slug out Tier V would lose easily, but with a bit of peek-a-poke or rabbit runs (not hard against a 20km/h), Churchill VII would likely to lose against derp and battered against everything else.

KV-2 can get flanked, and out turned by most tanks due to very low turret traverse. The Sherman Jumbo carries medium firepower, or 105 HE gun, both of which make it better than the Church 7 against low armored targets. But unless the E2 uses the top turret, it lacks similar DPM.
And the 1S is agreeably very powerful regardless of what teir, as long as it doesn't get swarmed or flanked.
Churchill VII isn't that much better than KV-2 against circle strafing due to very low hull traverse.
Sherman Jumbo with 105 fire just as fast with stock turret; top turret and M1A2 isn't a good set up for it imo.
Churchill VII wouldn't do better when swarmed or flanked; in fact, KV-1S can retreat to near by defensive position, angle its hull etc; while Churchill VII cannot do anything other than shoot.

Im very sorry but the AMX-40 is in no way a better tank than the Churchill 7.
Tier to tier wise, AMX-40 actually have good armour, can go faster than 20km/h and less slow in comparison.

sargentmki #48 Posted Apr 23 2013 - 19:50

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 9560 battles
I'm not exactly sure what terms we are speaking on at the moment. Half way through your post you go from pitting the church with tier8s to comparing it to tier 6s.

For a tier 6 the church has solid armor, the main thing I'll state again is its side armor is more effective than pretty much any other tank at its tier. Side scrap, if you can't yea the front will get owned unless you know how to angle well.

Comparing the tier kv-5 against tier 8 tanks and comparing the Churchill to tier 8 tanks doesn't further your argument.
Also if you don't aim against a Churchill without a high end gun, you probably will bounce. I will say both tanks are highly effective side scrapping.

The kv-2 has the lowest turret traverse at tier 6 and below. The church has the fastest turret traverse out of all the tier 6 heavies. Not sure what you are getting at when anything lower than a t50-2 can't out turn the gun.

If you play stupid, yes a HE deep tank would win against a church. Otherwise I see absolutely no way a HE deep tank would win against you. Side scrape, shoot off tier sprocket, and kill them while taking 1 limited damage shot.
Jumbo has pathetic pennitration. The 105, unless blasting a lot of heat, won't be able to deal high am mounts of consistent damage on most tank from tier 6 up.

A smart Churchill driver would angle his hull and become the hardest to kill tier 6 heavy. And if the 1s is getting swarmed, it gets to fire 1 shot at best before during, regardless of cover, that why its called a swarm.
Flanked, a church does better, it isn't as squishy and can fire back every 4 seconds. Unless your driving like and idiot flankers are just more targets.

Amx-40 has great armor only against inaccurate pew pew tanks. 105 HE derps exist at these tiers and near instance kill the amx-40. It also has hilariously low DPM and shot damage. Its great against noon drivers, so theirs a lot of targets, but in tier 5,6 game the AMX -40 is just a slow moving target. Which is why it is considedered to be the worst tank in the game.

I'm not sure what your getting at anymore, you give the kv-1 as an example of a hard to kill low tier tank against the church, which is laughable already, and already the hardest to kill tier 5 in general. Then you give the hardest to kill tier 8 tanks as reasons why the church isn't good in tier 8. Then you say it turns as slow as the kv2, which is easily the slowest turning tank until higher tiers, even though it is one of the fastest turret traverse of all heavies. Finally you compare it to the amx-40, which is largely considered to be the worst tank in the game, with the Churchill 7 and state its godly. So, I have nothing to say beside, I don't think you know how to drive the Churchill 7.

nublex #49 Posted Apr 24 2013 - 13:26

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 17549 battles

View Postsargentmki, on Apr 23 2013 - 19:50, said:

I'm not exactly sure what terms we are speaking on at the moment. Half way through your post you go from pitting the church with tier8s to comparing it to tier 6s.

Comparing the tier kv-5 against tier 8 tanks and comparing the Churchill to tier 8 tanks doesn't further your argument.
I compare KV-5 and Churchill as they against their own tiers (8 & 6) respectively.

For a tier 6 the church has solid armor, the main thing I'll state again is its side armor is more effective than pretty much any other tank at its tier. Side scrap, if you can't yea the front will get owned unless you know how to angle well.

Also if you don't aim against a Churchill without a high end gun, you probably will bounce. I will say both tanks are highly effective side scrapping.
You don't own the tank, and I am sure you don't face them often; side armour isn't effective at all thanks to WG consider suspension housing 'hull'; unlike most tanks in the game its side isn't cover by 20mm of track. On top of that, front of the suspension housing is only 60mm thick, and lovely boxy side of the front hull which is ~80mm.

Like I said, 110mm pen is all you need to give pounding to Churchill VII.

So there is no angle, or side scrap.

The kv-2 has the lowest turret traverse at tier 6 and below. The church has the fastest turret traverse out of all the tier 6 heavies. Not sure what you are getting at when anything lower than a t50-2 can't out turn the gun.
Sure have your gun pointed at your target, but your moderate armoured side is exposed, if its low gun depression could aim at target's hull side instead of hull roof.

If you play stupid, yes a HE deep tank would win against a church. Otherwise I see absolutely no way a HE deep tank would win against you. Side scrape, shoot off tier sprocket, and kill them while taking 1 limited damage shot.
To begin with, side scrape doesn't work on Churchill VII; then I would like to point out it is very hard for Churchill to corner trap anyone, due to its placement of turret. And a 145dmg alpha gun would need at least three shots to kill non-heavy/arty.

Jumbo has pathetic pennitration. The 105, unless blasting a lot of heat, won't be able to deal high am mounts of consistent damage on most tank from tier 6 up.
Sadly, Churchill VII would take quite a bit of pounding from derps consistently; ARL 44 also suffer from this in case you wonder.

A smart Churchill driver would angle his hull and become the hardest to kill tier 6 heavy. And if the 1s is getting swarmed, it gets to fire 1 shot at best before during, regardless of cover, that why its called a swarm.
A dump Churchill driver would angle his hull, a smart Churchill driver would stay at range and harass, a well supported Churchill driver would be the chopboard with spikes.

If you get 'swarmed' in an open or relatively open area then either you made a mistake and/or your team sucks. Churchill VII's survivability lowers dramatically as range decrease....did I mention Churchill VII's ammo stowage is very vulnerable?

Flanked, a church does better, it isn't as squishy and can fire back every 4 seconds. Unless your driving like and idiot flankers are just more targets.

Amx-40 has great armor only against inaccurate pew pew tanks. 105 HE derps exist at these tiers and near instance kill the amx-40. It also has hilariously low DPM and shot damage. Its great against noon drivers, so theirs a lot of targets, but in tier 5,6 game the AMX -40 is just a slow moving target. Which is why it is considedered to be the worst tank in the game.
105 derp is an AT gun at tier 4, so you are looking at things like 90mm M3 or 107 for tier 6 equivalent.

Against Tier 5 below 120mm pen AMX40' front is capable over 100m, which is BETTER than Churchill VII against Tier 7s.

77mm isn't that great against tier 8's either, just like 75mm on AMX40.

And if you look up global stats, while AMX40 does horribly on exp and credit gain, it sits right in the middle for win rate before getting rid of arties.

Churchill VII on the other hand is at the bottom of the barrel with VK3001 brothers.

I'm not sure what your getting at anymore, you give the kv-1 as an example of a hard to kill low tier tank against the church, which is laughable already, and already the hardest to kill tier 5 in general.
Because Churchill was hard to kill when German have Panthers on the western front while KV-1 is only hard without a StuG on the eastern front?

Then you give the hardest to kill tier 8 tanks as reasons why the church isn't good in tier 8.
I didn't say that, I said why can't Churchill VII be the tier 6 KV-5.

Then you say it turns as slow as the kv2, which is easily the slowest turning tank until higher tiers, even though it is one of the fastest turret traverse of all heavies.
You have 32 deg/sec on turret, but there is gun dispersion as well, since Vsteb isn't available to tier 6 British tanks. KV-2 on the other hand, have very low dispersion.

And Alpha, it is a lot easier to lure circle strafing opponent for one shot than 2~3 shots.

Finally you compare it to the amx-40, which is largely considered to be the worst tank in the game, with the Churchill 7 and state its godly.
Again, I only said AMX 40 actually have as much armour it advertise, unlike Churchill VII which is simply underwhelming.

So, I have nothing to say beside, I don't think you know how to drive the Churchill 7.
While I am well below global winrate with it, I did do about 70% more exp, 45% more damage and have a First Class Mastery on Churchill VII.

Edited by nublex, Apr 24 2013 - 13:27.

sharlin648 #50 Posted Apr 25 2013 - 08:29

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 15078 battles
  • [KGS] KGS
The worst thing about the VII is its utterly pathetic punch.  Yes its gun fires fast, is pritty accurate and you can go ROF ROF ROF ROF all day long but most people don't slug it out allowing you to use that ROF to count when they poke their nose out go BLAM! then hide behind something which is par for the course in WoT unless you're a heavy tank facing something much smaller and then you go after them.

The VII's gun is little better than a Sherman E8s, which is a great gun. If you get on someones flank or arse. Then you can gnaw through them in a hail of screaming hot lead.  But the VII has more chance of winning Miss America through the delightful use of interprative dance than flanking anything other than a TOG and even then the TOG out guns you thanks to its superior pen.

The 77mm gun is weedy to say the least. Its great on a fast, mobile platform but with the VII you are mostly forced into head to head confrontations with anything thats coming after you.  In a head on confronation IF you penetrate you do a max of 150 damage which is laughable.  A Tiger will laugh off your damage and proceed to merrily tear you a new one with his 88mm.  An KV1-S will caramelise you with his 122 whilst you go PING PING, BOING, WHAAAAAANG, BOUNCE, CLANG....150 damage! in a frantic effort to hurt him.  The VII's gun is simply not scary enough to dissuade anyone from engaging one.

Give it the 17 pounder as its top gun.  Problem solved.  Damage is the same, accuracy is roughly equal but you can actually penetrate something. So that (depressingly common) time you get thrown at a teir 8 match (you will, lots, get use to dying in a hail of fire from Lowes etc) you have a gun that can actually penetrate and hurt the tanks you will be forced to face head on not just become the door ding fairy and give their paintwork a darn nasty scuffing.

It also makes BP drivers lives a bit easier as again they don't have to suffer through that rancid little 77mm gun on a heavy tank.  For some reason WG was VERRRRRRY anally retentive about the UK tanks guns, for the most part sticking with what they had AND NOTHING MORE! where as other nations tend to mount fantasy guns on their machines as a top gun, the UK gets historical ones, which tends to mean that the UK tanks are outgunned by anything they face.  This changes at teir 9 but woo...9 teirs of being outgunned by just about anyone out there.  *fun*

Edited by sharlin648, Apr 25 2013 - 08:33.

Johnny_Mars #51 Posted Apr 25 2013 - 15:35

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 11461 battles

View Postsharlin648, on Apr 25 2013 - 08:29, said:

The worst thing about the VII is its utterly pathetic punch.
I'm averaging 980 pts of damage per game with it, making it the most damaging Tier VI I've driven. I think the ARL 44 may surpass it, now that I have its best gun, but the Churchill VII is a damage-hose.

p.s. I know it only tells you who inflicted the last point of damage on a nearly-dead vehicle, but the two most-frequent kills for my Churchill VII are the KV-1 and KV-1S, with 6 of each (the next most-frequent kills are only 3 each). Just last night I popped two KV-1s in quick succession from about 425m.

Edited by Johnny_Mars, Apr 25 2013 - 15:43.

sargentmki #52 Posted Apr 25 2013 - 22:56

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 9560 battles

View Postnublex, on Apr 24 2013 - 13:26, said:

While I am well below global winrate with it, I did do about 70% more exp, 45% more damage and have a First Class Mastery on Churchill VII.

Winrate = wins/losses.
Only real stat that matters in performing "well" with a tank.
Bottom line, you driving the Churchill 7 is a negative, not a positive to your team. Didn't read the rest of your post since its not longer valid to look at.

@above: Giving the churchill 7 the BP top gun would be OP. It's current gun is OK, not ground breaking but sufficient in most cases. Now comparing the 1s to the churchill 7 is probably a bit unfair. Since many people agree the firepower of the 1s is near game breaking, and both tanks are complete opposite of each other.

Johnny_Mars #53 Posted Apr 26 2013 - 14:56

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 11461 battles
Another Churchill VII anecdote, a Tier VII fight on South Coast: From the southern spawn point, my team made a strong attack up the beach on the West side. I followed them, but was quickly left behind. I figured they would bog down in a shootout around one of the two turns - you know the ones - at which point I would catch up and muscle up and help them bust the dam. It didn't happen.

My teammates up ahead of me rolled a few defenders and then cut through the town, through the middle, instead of continuing up the beach and taking the big turn around the mountain up North. Meanwhile, the other team was having similar success on the other side of the map. Both teams had made a big, clockwise attack and left an insufficient defending force in the counter-clockwise direction. It was a race to the flags.

I had been paying attention to my mini-map, as any half-decent player ought to do, and saw this unfold as it was happening. Ironically, my Churchill VII was so freaking slow that I was actually in a decent spot to turn around and counter-attack our own flag from the West, up the sandy road that winds between the big rocks. The other team didn't send anyone to screen the flag area, so I reached a position to fire on four attackers - three of them Tier VIIs - in the cap circle unimpeded. With both caps at ~97%, I snapped three of them with my wet towel, earning a Defender badge before I went up in a big ball of fire. I think their IS got the "consolation prize" of flattening me before he lost the game.

:teethhappy:

(Link is to a SFW YouTube vid.)

vonManstein5611 #54 Posted Apr 26 2013 - 19:16

Private

• Players
  • 3568 battles

View Postsharlin648, on Apr 21 2013 - 14:52, said:

Worst thing about this tank is the number of teir 8 matches I found myself thrown into. It just wasn't funny.  It seemed every battle was a case of *waddle forwards watching the team vanish into the distance.  Go round a corner or crest a hill.  A WILD IS-3 APPEARS. Open Fire!  Bounce. Bounce, bounce, bounce, 0 damage hit, bounce. DIE IN FIRE. Exit match swearing.*

I agree.  Although for me the matchmaker was somewhat sympathetic, going up against ANY of the russian heavies even in tier VI matches is frustrating.  I could get off with my the Vickers 75mm HV gun  (i haven't got the QQF yet) about 300-400 damage IF i PENETRATE, before the KV-1S just BLASTS me with 2 shots totalling 700 damage.  The armor... is good and is actually deadly against lower tiers (I have gotten LOTS of steel walls), but its just not good enough when you compare that the KV-1S has guns that can EASILY rip the Churchill apart before it can fire back.  Even worse, they raised the price of the top gun, not a problem for me because I have multiple tanks and I can grind quickly to get that money, but a problem for people solely focused on the British Heavy Line.  

Moreover, as some of the earlier comments have mentioned, due to the horrible speed of the Churchill VII, it just doesn't have the capability to change the battle.  The gun also is an issue, due to its low damage.   Wargaming should make the bloody gun do better pen to ensure at least consistency of damage.  I mean theoretically a Churchill can duel a tier VI Kv-1S at its level because of its armor, but it actually can't because the armor is useless against a KV's top gun, and the damage output would not be the same.

Its not that the Churchill VII is a BAD tank necessarily, i've managed to squeeze some fun out of it and it is a menace to any of the lower tier tanks due to its armor.  (although it can't really STOMP them because the rof isn't fast enough to rip them apart quickly enough) But compared to the russian KVs of the same tier?  It lags behind.  There's just not enough ability to do damage for the Churchill...

sharlin648 #55 Posted Apr 27 2013 - 10:52

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 15078 battles
  • [KGS] KGS
The VII isn't a bad tank, but its not fun to play.  Yes its armours nice if you're at long range or are the top dog on your team but most times you will be thrown into the at best, middle of the tree in the team, or as happened with me, the very bottom apart from the odd loller who teams up his MS1 with his Lowe friend.

And yes theoretically a VII can kill a 1S.  If you are at long range and spot him coming you can snipe away, keep tracking and keep gnawing at his health whilst his big slow elephant gun lobs a round in your vague direction, and with some angling at long range the VII's armour might well bounce a shot from the big bad 122.  Where as in an ambush situation, say in a town where a 1S just appears RIGHT INFRONT OF YOU! you can only panic, blaze away and again, nibble his health whilst reversing whilst he just stops. Aims. BOOOM. half your health gone.

Whilst the 122 on the 1S is imo too powerful for the tank (give it the 100mm instead) and its not a fair comparison, due to the sheer number of 1S's out there and the VERY high chance of meeting them it becomes the VII's most common 'equal' opponent to face.

I go on about the 77mm's shit damage because I know what its like, on one battle I was forced into a head to head confrontation with a KV-2 with the 152 in a city.  He had me bang to rights, derped and tore away 3/4 of my health. Due to him backing down an alley I could only shoot his front, I could not accellerate fast enough to catch him and none of my team were nearby.  I unloaded rounds into his front, bow, turret and tracks and did severely maul him, but 22 seconds later. BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM goes the 152 and I died.  Looking at the stats I hit him 9 times, and that barely took off half his health thanks to a fair few bounces from him when he turned at one point to go round a corner.  I'm not that good a shot and don't know the AMFG EPIXS weak points to aim for but I was aiming for obvious ones, drivers view port etc.

Edited by sharlin648, Apr 27 2013 - 10:56.

nublex #56 Posted Apr 28 2013 - 05:02

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 17549 battles

View Postsargentmki, on Apr 25 2013 - 22:56, said:

Winrate = wins/losses.
Only real stat that matters in performing "well" with a tank.
Bottom line, you driving the Churchill 7 is a negative, not a positive to your team. Didn't read the rest of your post since its not longer valid to look at.
With a global win rate of 48.5%, mine at 47.3% for 110 battles, I don't see I am being particularly terrible with it; as credits and experience are indication of how much you have done for the team, with tank like Churchill VII, I don't see how it could just stand there and do the team a favor like T95.

View Postsargentmki, on Apr 25 2013 - 22:56, said:

@above: Giving the churchill 7 the BP top gun would be OP. It's current gun is OK, not ground breaking but sufficient in most cases. Now comparing the 1s to the churchill 7 is probably a bit unfair. Since many people agree the firepower of the 1s is near game breaking, and both tanks are complete opposite of each other.
Then why not make Churchill VII's armour decent as WG advertise it, if not historical comparison between it and KV-1. Like I said, Churchill VII's armour is less effective then KV-1s, a tank's armour consider mediocre at best and less effective then T-34. But they make it so good that it can resist feared guns like 7.5cm Kwk 42 or 8.8cm Kwk 36 at 50m.

Meanwhile Churchill VII is a harder target historically.

SigmundFloyd #57 Posted Apr 28 2013 - 05:10

Sergeant

• Players
  • 24405 battles
It amazes me to read these threads. The British heavy line is absolutely one of my favorites in the game. Average experience per tank in this line has been @ 700 with a win ratio @ 56%. it takes a bit to learn to use them - oh who am I kidding, they are the proverbial heavy, slough in, give them your front armor, AIM and shoot! bounce a lot of rounds, plug a gap in your team's line and hold fast. It's strentgh is not on it's own, but as the brunt of the front! I love how many enemy tanks waste shots on you giving your team mates time to flank and kill.

spitfiresim #58 Posted Apr 28 2013 - 05:13

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 13636 battles
  • [WWIIT] WWIIT
Its a tough tank even with the top gun but at the top if the list its amassing  however it is usually at the mid of the list and cant penetrate higher tier tanks easily  Aim for week spots and look for low tier targets as they are easy prey. Use a offset position when on the open as this increases you chance of a round bouncing, the tracks will absorb a lot of damage. Don't get detracted around corners as you will then be whittled away till death. if possible avoid open areas where you would be a sitting duck. Use your lack of speed to your shooting while moving advantage as this tank has an amazingly accurate gun and can hit targets at medium distance easy while on the move. do not depend on you 880 hp for a "easy kill" as lighter tanks are almost always assisted by something big and unseen.

spitfiresim #59 Posted Apr 28 2013 - 05:14

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 13636 battles
  • [WWIIT] WWIIT

View Postlateasusual, on Apr 28 2013 - 05:10, said:

It amazes me to read these threads. The British heavy line is absolutely one of my favorites in the game. Average experience per tank in this line has been @ 700 with a win ratio @ 56%. it takes a bit to learn to use them - oh who am I kidding, they are the proverbial heavy, slough in, give them your front armor, AIM and shoot! bounce a lot of rounds, plug a gap in your team's line and hold fast. It's strentgh is not on it's own, but as the brunt of the front! I love how many enemy tanks waste shots on you giving your team mates time to flank and kill.
Yes the British tanks are my favorite. Great tanks!

Johnny_Mars #60 Posted Apr 28 2013 - 13:56

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 11461 battles

View Postsharlin648, on Apr 27 2013 - 10:52, said:

I go on about the 77mm's shit damage because I know what its like, on one battle I was forced into a head to head confrontation with a KV-2 with the 152 in a city.  He had me bang to rights, derped and tore away 3/4 of my health. Due to him backing down an alley I could only shoot his front, I could not accellerate fast enough to catch him and none of my team were nearby.  I unloaded rounds into his front, bow, turret and tracks and did severely maul him, but 22 seconds later. BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM goes the 152 and I died.  Looking at the stats I hit him 9 times, and that barely took off half his health thanks to a fair few bounces from him when he turned at one point to go round a corner.  I'm not that good a shot and don't know the AMFG EPIXS weak points to aim for but I was aiming for obvious ones, drivers view port etc.
It sounds like that KV-2 driver could hardly have scripted that encounter any better. He should have given you 10% of his credits & xp as a tip.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users