IS-4 Overpowered?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
222 replies to this topic

MARMIST #21 Posted Dec 25 2010 - 01:38

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
I really laugh when I go back to play some nostalgic match with my AusfB and find out that I CAN'T DAMAGE THE IS4/7 ANYMORE EVEN FROM FAR AWAY.  :lol::lol::lol:  

It bounces everything from the front now.  :D:D:D  

It's incredible, I don't have any word left for this.  :lol::lol::lol:

Shoggoth #22 Posted Dec 25 2010 - 05:46

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 4835 battles
  • [UW] UW
I dunno. My friend and I took a IS4 into a training match and shot it up with the L/71. as far as we could tell, about a 35% pen rate from certain angles to the front from 286 meters, a random penrate at 170, and a 15% penrate at 50 meters.....side armor was fairly beatable as well. I will however say that when I sent the killing shot towards him there was a butterfly floating in my sights.....

Blood3d #23 Posted Dec 25 2010 - 15:32

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 3409 battles
did u try aiming for the front lower hull? try not to use auto aim coz it will only target the center which is between the hull and turret.
i tried it on many is4 and it works fine. using the 130mm gun here.

Nanaki #24 Posted Dec 25 2010 - 22:00

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 3346 battles

View PostBlooded87, on Dec 25 2010 - 15:32, said:

did u try aiming for the front lower hull? try not to use auto aim coz it will only target the center which is between the hull and turret.
i tried it on many is4 and it works fine. using the 130mm gun here.

My KV-3 cant penetrate anywhere... not the driver hatch, not the lower hull, not the sides, maybe the rear but getting behind an IS-4 to shoot its rear is impossible.

MARMIST #25 Posted Dec 25 2010 - 23:00

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View PostNanaki, on Dec 25 2010 - 22:00, said:

My KV-3 cant penetrate anywhere... not the driver hatch, not the lower hull, not the sides, maybe the rear but getting behind an IS-4 to shoot its rear is impossible.

With the KV3 your only hope is to go HE and aim cannon or driver's hatch

At least you'll take meybe his gun or driver. Most probably you'll kill his driver. Of course he then will retaliate.

DarthBenedict #26 Posted Dec 26 2010 - 00:59

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 17 battles
The IS4 should be able to fly so that it can match its historical performance.

Joel_Autobahn #27 Posted Dec 26 2010 - 01:37

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 1 battle
At least with a KV you can eventually get an IS4!

Started working up the soviet hvy line to get one, no point fighting it unless you have one.

Saw one bounce shots from 5 tanks (concentration fire - point blank) ...sides and front ( I was in an aust covering his rear)  One enemy was an aust shooting his side point blank.   In the end arty eventually killed him (2 were shooting at him).  We 2 tanks killed all 5 of them and I killed a couple more mediums after he died.

rourke #28 Posted Dec 26 2010 - 07:53

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
pls mods buff more IS4. sometimes we could kill an IS4 (with luck.. of course). but in history no IS4 hit by any enemy tank even nuke couldnt stop it. pls give 1000 mm armor to everyside of IS4. and it should fire 30 times in a min. or just give us a-10 thunderbolt and than watch. we really need thunderbolt to stop it. pls add it for usa area.

POM_PYRO_TANK_YARRRR #29 Posted Dec 26 2010 - 14:22

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View PostROURKE, on Dec 26 2010 - 07:53, said:

pls mods buff more IS4. sometimes we could kill an IS4 (with luck.. of course). but in history no IS4 hit by any enemy tank even nuke couldnt stop it. pls give 1000 mm armor to everyside of IS4. and it should fire 30 times in a min. or just give us a-10 thunderbolt and than watch. we really need thunderbolt to stop it. pls add it for usa area.
I really have no idea what you have been smoking, but if you have nothing better to say just don't post at all.

I am an IS4 driver and I don't understand the myth of IS4 invincibility. Is it a good tank? Hell yeah, it has good protection all around, good maneuverability and an excellent gun (130mm). It's a tier 9 vehicle, it's supposed to be good. Is it invincible? Hell no. Long 88 and anything above that can penetrate the hull, given a reasonable angle and distance. In my 1st game after the most recent patch I ended up with 4 holes in the front of my tank, made not by 128 mm but smaller guns. That's after the infamous front armor buff.

My experience with tier 9 tanks is limited to IS4, so I can't comment about mini maus and T34 with certainty, but after fighting quite a few of them I get the impression that IS4 is the most balanced of t9 heavies and that is I believe where it's strength lies. There is no super weak spots which can be exploited but there are also no uber strong spots. IS4 can bounce shots from almost any directions but can also be penetrated from any direction. I have survived matches with 60+ hits on my tank but have also died from 3-4 hits. I have bounced a JT shot but have also been penetrated from the front by long 88 that was on the opposite side of kampinovka field.  

So yeah, it's a good and versatile tank that can perform well in the hands of a capable driver, but is not invincible, not by a long shot. When facing it, aim for the hull, ideally for the driver's hatch. If you have long 88 or anything that is stronger, you are almost guaranteed to penetrate (mind you-ALMOST, there is always that rng factor). If you can't penetrate, use HE. NEVER EVER auto aim, since the shell will hit the turret, which is the strongest point of this tank, thick and sloped. Oh and for heaven's sake, don't complain how your t6 gun can't penetrate IS4 cuz guess what, it's not really supposed to. But with HE rounds you can wound or kill the crew, damage modules which will help your teammates in tier 8+ tanks to destroy it. I can't remember how many times i have been spam tracked by tier 6 tanks using HE, chipping my hp in the process, while their heavy teammates were able to carefully place their shots. Use your brain and cooperate. This goes for any tank, not just IS4.

I know this last paragraph looks like a tank manual  but it's totally true. Try it and you will surely see that the myth surrounding IS4 is just that-a myth. I've driven this tank in about 370 matches so far and I believe I have experienced pretty much any scenario imaginable, including facing other players in IS4. I do believe IS4 suits my play style better than a mini maus would ( I tend to be more aggressive and go into close combat rather than snipe) but every tank has it's ups and downs. The difference between good and bad players is simple: good players figure out strengths of their own vehicles and weaknesses of the opponent, while bad players don't bother to do it; instead they come on the forum and complain. I myself am a rather casual player but when I faced something I knew nothing about and died, I went to this forum and read whatever there was about that particular tank. That's how I learned I should shoot lower front hull of JT instead of the superstructure, that I shouldn't face mini maus from the front if at all possible, how to aim at moving targets etc etc. There have been many posts which offered advice on how to tackle IS4 but I still see this kind of useless topic. It doesn't help anyone. Instead, if you really want to address the issue, make a topic called "IS4 and how to kill it" or something similar and let people give advice instead of asking for A10 air strikes ffs  <_< .

leviath #30 Posted Dec 26 2010 - 14:26

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
The fact is, all the smart and experienced players know that IS4 is the best tank for its tier and maybe the best of the game because it's as powerful as IS7 but with lower repair costs, so they choose to buy one.
It means that beside this tank is a beast, it's combined to the fact that it's driven by the best players of the game. And this is why IS4 is really a fear factor.

By the way, with an IS4 it's really easy to kill another IS4, this tank is a danger for its breed. :Smile-izmena:

Sander93 #31 Posted Dec 26 2010 - 15:15

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
http://img810.imageshack.us/img810/3172/shot062o.jpg

phawkins1988 #32 Posted Dec 26 2010 - 16:01

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
Haven't faced all that many IS4s after the patch.  I still penetrate the front hull around 50% of the time with my T29, provided I am close.

angrybovine #33 Posted Dec 26 2010 - 16:11

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 13670 battles
  • [-DIG-] -DIG-
OK, so I've played the IS-4 for a few days now and my thoughts of the patch are that the IS-4 is better than before and that the IS-4 is far from invincible.

I think a lot of the bitchin about the IS-4 is:

1.  from players who use auto-aim and can no longer penetrate IS-4 with auto-aim.  

I suggest these players start aiming at good spots manually or go for a shot that isn't on the front armor or from turret.  Or they should gang up on lone tanks.  Or use some sort of tactic that doesn't involve a feeling of entitlement that they should be penetrating one of the best tanks in the game from the front.

2.  from players that were penetrating the IS-4 with guns that should have never been penetrating the IS-4 to begin with.

I think there is way too much drama going on here from players who feel that they should be penetrating a tier 9 tank with tier 6 guns using auto-aim on the IS-4's front armor.

Stra #34 Posted Dec 26 2010 - 16:46

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
Maybe be time that other nations have a tank at level of IS4....

Currently is too higher of peers level tank! :angry:

MARMIST #35 Posted Dec 26 2010 - 17:21

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View PostPOM_PYRO_TANK_YARRRR, on Dec 26 2010 - 14:22, said:

ECCECCECC...

Sorry post waslong so I edited. I read it all though.

AS you say, my dear friend, YOU HAVE NEVER USED THE VK4502. I did it. I have both tier 9. And I tell you that THER'S NO COMPARISON. NO COMPARISON AT ALL. Check my stats, mate, the iS4 is a rollin machine now.

View PostSander93, on Dec 26 2010 - 15:15, said:

:D:D:D:D:D:D

Toten #36 Posted Dec 26 2010 - 19:48

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 13162 battles

View Postangrybovine, on Dec 26 2010 - 16:11, said:

OK, so I've played the IS-4 for a few days now and my thoughts of the patch are that the IS-4 is better than before and that the IS-4 is far from invincible.

I think a lot of the bitchin about the IS-4 is:

1.  from players who use auto-aim and can no longer penetrate IS-4 with auto-aim.  

I suggest these players start aiming at good spots manually or go for a shot that isn't on the front armor or from turret.  Or they should gang up on lone tanks.  Or use some sort of tactic that doesn't involve a feeling of entitlement that they should be penetrating one of the best tanks in the game from the front.

2.  from players that were penetrating the IS-4 with guns that should have never been penetrating the IS-4 to begin with.

I think there is way too much drama going on here from players who feel that they should be penetrating a tier 9 tank with tier 6 guns using auto-aim on the IS-4's front armor.
Agreed,well stated sir.

SkttLes #37 Posted Dec 26 2010 - 22:36

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 18032 battles

View Postangrybovine, on Dec 26 2010 - 16:11, said:

So the IS-4 is invincible to non high tier tanks, and against them, bounces many shots, while the T34 and Ausf B both are penetrated by tier 5s... balanced ?

Sander93 #38 Posted Dec 26 2010 - 22:50

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View PostSkttLes, on Dec 26 2010 - 22:36, said:

So the IS-4 is invincible to non high tier tanks, and against them, bounces many shots, while the T34 and Ausf B both are penetrated by tier 5s... balanced ?

Even the 130mm regularly bounces on VK45's front armor and it's just bullocks to start comparing side armor. Any good driver knows how to keep his front turned to the biggest guns so I don't see much of a problem. Having played both the IS4 and the VK45 for over 300 matches each, the VK45 surely has the better armor, frontally. There is no way in hell I can park the IS4 in the middle of a field and laugh at shots coming at me, while I did this succesfully in VK45 more than my enemies care to remember.

IS4 is very prone to weakspots. Tracks get hit with every shot and big chance you'll get blown sideways exposing the side armor. It's also not very good at taking HE. (gun gets damaged almost every match)

The only matter here is that the IS4 sides and rear actually need some proper aiming to penetrate. It's not hard at all, but most people forget and panic. And that's when the IS4 excels and people go whining about it.

Bellzybub #39 Posted Dec 26 2010 - 23:24

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
I believe if you were to take the IS-4 stock and match it against the VK stock the IS-4 is gonna have a field day with the VK. But the VK fully upgraded with the 128 is a even match for a fully upgraded IS-4. This is my opinion as i've drivin both tanks and have fought against both tanks.

And i understand what Skttles is trying to say. The IS-4 does has alot better chance to bounces shells across it's four points than the VK does.

And im not a Russian fanboy, German Fanboy nor an American fanboy. I like TANKS, plain and simple!

Bellzy

DarthBenedict #40 Posted Dec 27 2010 - 02:21

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 17 battles
The thing that makes everyone who isn't driving one hate the IS4 is that only T8+ vehicles (and even then, not the T44) are a significant threat to it. Flanking any other T9 will put it at a major disadvantage - the only thing that works against an IS4 is grinding till you get a bigger gun.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users