IS-4 Overpowered?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
222 replies to this topic

MARMIST #41 Posted Dec 27 2010 - 05:18

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
This Tiger shot me like 15 times while I was killing a Ferdi frontally. None of these shots penetrated, from any side. At a point, I simply stood still and let him enjoy the situation.  :Smile-bajan2: (the damage to me was made by other tanks previously and by the upcited Tiger beginning to use HE)

Spoiler                     

Stick #42 Posted Dec 27 2010 - 06:25

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View PostSander93, on Dec 26 2010 - 22:50, said:

Even the 130mm regularly bounces on VK45's front armor and it's just bullocks to start comparing side armor. Any good driver knows how to keep his front turned to the biggest guns so I don't see much of a problem. Having played both the IS4 and the VK45 for over 300 matches each, the VK45 surely has the better armor, frontally. There is no way in hell I can park the IS4 in the middle of a field and laugh at shots coming at me, while I did this succesfully in VK45 more than my enemies care to remember.

IS4 is very prone to weakspots. Tracks get hit with every shot and big chance you'll get blown sideways exposing the side armor. It's also not very good at taking HE. (gun gets damaged almost every match)

The only matter here is that the IS4 sides and rear actually need some proper aiming to penetrate. It's not hard at all, but most people forget and panic. And that's when the IS4 excels and people go whining about it.

This. Not much has changed since the patch, the KT can still easily penetrate the IS4 from the front, same as the T29 with the 105, same as the Tiger with the 88 and the IS with the 122. I'm starting to think that more than 50% of the players are using auto-aim, since I can't explain otherwise why people are complaining so much. Yesterday a T-44 shot my IS-4 about 5 times from the back (turret was facing the other way, engaging a ferdi), he only scored 1 hit that did damage and then started to QQ on how OP the IS-4 is.  
Bounces happen all the time, heck, I bounced from a Pz3 with the 130mm 2 days ago. But with IS 3-4 the front hull slope is the point where people should aim for reliable pen.
What I noticed since the patch is that in about 25% of the games I get ammo rack hit. Any idea where the ammo is stored on the IS-4?

Mookie262 #43 Posted Dec 27 2010 - 07:26

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 3743 battles
The IS-4 is surely a good tank, and some game I find myself bouncing a ridiculous amount of shots. But people seem to ignore that the VK450 has more solid frontal armor then the IS-4, even after the last patch. So if I'm engaging in medium / far range combat with a VK450 I'll bounce most of my shots if they correctly face their tank towards me. Even if I do the same to them and place my heaviest armor towards them they can still reliably penetrate the front of my tank with the best gun. You get in closer range combat with a VK450 and that's where the IS-4 can fight a VK450 more reliably, show me the side armor and I'll penetrate every time.

So yes, the IS-4 is a very good tank, but it can be killed fairly easily if you aim for weak spots,

StarDreamer #44 Posted Dec 27 2010 - 09:15

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View PostMARMIST, on Dec 27 2010 - 05:18, said:

This Tiger shot me like 15 times while I was killing a Ferdi frontally. None of these shots penetrated, from any side. At a point, I simply stood still and let him enjoy the situation.  :Smile-bajan2: (the damage to me was made by other tanks previously and by the upcited Tiger beginning to use HE)

Spoiler                     
That is a tiger with a short 88. So that shows that anything below a fully upgraded panther or tiger is no real threat to the IS-4.

murn123 #45 Posted Dec 27 2010 - 11:06

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
Do you guys know that is-4 has 140mm frontal armor under the drivers hatch. Yeah it is good sploped but with aiming at the lowest spot you can penetrate it with gun which has average 200mm penetration... Is-4 is better then minimaus caus it is faster and lower and can at least avoid some arty shots...but still is-4 tracks are easy to hit... the thing is side armor acctually bounce shot even from long 88 gun (sometimes). And sometimes you want to make dmg and all you do is destroying its tracks. Hell that happens all the time even with bl-10 gun... it is the same with IS and IS-3. Devs should think about it.

Dands #46 Posted Dec 27 2010 - 11:11

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 11235 battles

View Postmurn123, on Dec 27 2010 - 11:06, said:

Do you guys know that is-4 has 140mm frontal armor under the drivers hatch. Devs should think about it.

IS4 is a complete let down coming from a IS3. Frankly I'd sell it if I got my credits back. Utter rubbish in my experience compared. And now we have the T54. And this looks like a completely overpowered tank.  Go figure devs.

EchelonIII #47 Posted Dec 27 2010 - 18:13

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 15977 battles
  • [BULLS] BULLS

View PostDands, on Dec 27 2010 - 11:11, said:

IS4 is a  complete let down coming from a IS3. Frankly I'd sell it if I got my  credits back. Utter rubbish in my experience compared. And now we have  the T54. And this looks like a completely overpowered tank.  Go figure  devs.

Hey guys, he's played 61 matches in it, that ought to give him ample experience with the 130mm and the upgraded turret which would make him able to judge it, it can't possibly be a STOCK IS-4 could it?

View Postangrybovine, on Dec 26 2010 - 16:11, said:

2.  from players that were penetrating the IS-4 with guns that should have never been penetrating the IS-4 to begin with.

I think there is way too much drama going on here from players who feel that they should be penetrating a tier 9 tank with tier 6 guns using auto-aim on the IS-4's front armor.

At the same time, we see players penetrating King Tiger armor with guns that should never be penetrating at all.

Now, my question for before I return from my holiday, should I be looking forward to a happy homecoming with my Ferdi vs the IS4?

MARMIST #48 Posted Dec 27 2010 - 19:23

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View PostStick, on Dec 27 2010 - 06:25, said:

What I noticed since the patch is that in about 25% of the games I get ammo rack hit. Any idea where the ammo is stored on the IS-4?

My dear friend I'm nearly invincible in my IS4 and I NEARLY NEVER get ammo rack hit. Not Kidding. Don't knoW how you can. Only russian heavy arty can ammo rack you, nothin else.

View PostDands, on Dec 27 2010 - 11:11, said:

IS4 is a complete let down coming from a IS3. Frankly I'd sell it if I got my credits back. Utter rubbish in my experience compared. And now we have the T54. And this looks like a completely overpowered tank.  Go figure devs.

This doesn't make any sense at all. Do you have the 130mm and the second turrett ? No you have NOT. Get them. Then you'll know. The IS4 is not that good til you get the second turrett and the Finger of God.

View PostEchelonIII, on Dec 27 2010 - 18:13, said:

Now, my question for before I return from my holiday, should I be looking forward to a happy homecoming with my Ferdi vs the IS4?

Look at my last post, my dear friend. That Ferdi hit me while I was going up the ramp to the Abbey in the map Abbey. That was the only hit of him that penetrated me. I facehugged him and listened to the following bells concert on my turrett :rolleyes: Three shots and he was no more.
Sorry but truestory  :unsure:

cora1kim #49 Posted Dec 27 2010 - 19:32

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 3659 battles
i seem to be getting the unlucky side of the coin since my win rate on my IS4 is only 40%. although, i don't have the S70 yet atm just the upped turret with BL9.

Dands #50 Posted Dec 27 2010 - 21:40

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 11235 battles

View PostMARMIST, on Dec 27 2010 - 19:23, said:

My dear friend I'm nearly invincible in my IS4 and I NEARLY NEVER get ammo rack hit.

This doesn't make any sense at all. Do you have the 130mm and the second turrett ? No you have NOT. Get them. Then you'll know. The IS4 is not that good til you get the second turrett and the Finger of God.

My IS4 except for the engine was upgraded from the start. I've never driven it without the 130mm and turret. Engine soon installed after.

The IS4 crew has my IS3 crew installed.

IS3 - crew killed in battle: NEVER
IS4 - crew killed in battle: Every match someone dies or needs covering

IS3 - Main gun destroyed: Maybe once in all my matches
IS4 - Main gun destroyed: Every 3rd match

IS3 - Tracked: rarely
IS4 - Tracked: every match multiple times. In fact I get tracked to a point where I'm immobile and die.

IS3 - Bounces more rounds, repairs faster.
IS4 - Either tracked, crew killed, gun destroyed and sub standard when repaired.

So if I had the chance I wouldn't buy the IS4 again.

plasmaeye #51 Posted Dec 27 2010 - 22:02

Private

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
Nerf Is-3! I shotted 15 shoots in the side off that is-3 and I just got 2 hits that was doing damage on him!

I use Ferdi with second cannon on!

Also my m8 was hitting him in rear ( su-100 ) sure weak, but should do atleast little dmg in rear...

so after my 15 shots I did 19 dmg on him... and im supposed to be TD? my opinon: ridiculous!!!

ediko #52 Posted Dec 27 2010 - 23:59

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View Postplasmaeye, on Dec 27 2010 - 22:02, said:

Nerf Is-3! I shotted 15 shoots in the side off that is-3 and I just got 2 hits that was doing damage on him!

I use Ferdi with second cannon on!

Also my m8 was hitting him in rear ( su-100 ) sure weak, but should do atleast little dmg in rear...

so after my 15 shots I did 19 dmg on him... and im supposed to be TD? my opinon: ridiculous!!!
Lol what the hell are you smoking mate? IS3 only bounces lower tiers, every German gun starting from the L71 will penetrate its front reliably except the spot where those angled plates meet, even the short 88 penetrates most of the time and its sides are easy just like its rear. Maybe you were hitting its tracks all the time for 0 damage? That happens quite a lot since its side view is mostly tracks. The turret is the most bouncy thing on it since almost nothing will penetrate.

Maybe you were talking about IS4 since its in this topic? If so that might as well be true. I have a hard time penetrating IS4's sides with my bl9 so I mostly shoot the front which in my opinion is easier to hit. And you're mates su100 should use he and shoot the straight plate which is the least bouncy place on it.

Anyway you guys better stop asking the devs to nerf it or they will buff it a little more just to piss you off  :D  :Smile-hiding:

leviath #53 Posted Dec 28 2010 - 01:38

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View PostDands, on Dec 27 2010 - 21:40, said:

My IS4 except for the engine was upgraded from the start. I've never driven it without the 130mm and turret. Engine soon installed after.

IS4 - Tracked: every match multiple times. In fact I get tracked to a point where I'm immobile and die.

IS4 - Either tracked, crew killed, gun destroyed and sub standard when repaired.

Soooo true !

Last battle, a SU-100 shot at me killing loader and gunner and destroying my gun. All of this with one shot. I was completly useless after that shot.

VooDooPC #54 Posted Dec 28 2010 - 03:42

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 11337 battles

View PostDands, on Dec 27 2010 - 21:40, said:

Of course that stuff is going to happen, people are using HE against you because they know they can't penetrate your armor consistently when you are in your IS-4. In your IS-3 you are probably getting hit with AP and not getting as much module damage.

L_G_Pool #55 Posted Dec 28 2010 - 03:57

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 2580 battles
soviet heavy line, esp. IS4 is overpowered in this game. Clear bias exists.

cora1kim #56 Posted Dec 28 2010 - 05:21

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 3659 battles
tbh, of the games i've had so far with my IS4, i only felt OP once. that was when i went 4v1 (and lived to tell the tale) against a ~70% JT + ~30% tiger1 + 2 more mid tier tanks, and that's about it. the other games i fell prey to incoming shells from tanks i can't even see. i've even been last-shotted by tanks as low as T34s or Pz4s. and although a bit OT, my 100% IS3 was once 1-shotted by a Sturmpanzer.

Dands #57 Posted Dec 28 2010 - 06:31

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 11235 battles

View PostVooDooPC, on Dec 28 2010 - 03:42, said:

Of course that stuff is going to happen, people are using HE against you because they know they can't penetrate your armor consistently when you are in your IS-4. In your IS-3 you are probably getting hit with AP and not getting as much module damage.

Well I've tried AP, HE and "Gold Rounds" trying to simulate how I am getting smashed with little affect. I should obliterate a 3601 pretty much right with AP or HE. Yet no I get killed by him in a maneuver / stand off.

serkanay #58 Posted Dec 28 2010 - 07:45

Private

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

yea i think so.

Sturmtiger_304 #59 Posted Dec 28 2010 - 07:51

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
[Developers in a nutshell]: Let's buff the already overpowered IS-4 some more, just for the laugh!

kongman #60 Posted Dec 28 2010 - 07:57

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 9788 battles
the ferdi with the 12.8 can kill an is4 , might take couple of shots .......

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users