T1 heavy

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
41 replies to this topic

Wernstrom #21 Posted Apr 25 2013 - 17:51

Corporal

• Players
  • 4803 battles
  • [23RDB] 23RDB
IMHO, a fully unlocked T1 with 100% crew is fun and deadly.  If you know enemy weak spots (which you should be learning right now), the T1's gun is more than adequate.  When it's top-tier in a game full of mediums, you can bully the ever-loving crap out of them.  T1's options in battle are endless.

Fast turret traverse combined with good ground speed brutalizes scouts and other lights that get close.  There's very little of that hopeless floundering about while a smaller, faster tank circles you to death.

Most importantly, learning to hull-down on different maps will translate to the T-29.  Also, you'll be training up a good heavy crew to transfer.  Win-win.

My T1 is a keeper.  I even threw a rammer and vents on it during the sale.  ZOOM PEW-PEW-PEW

yo2u #22 Posted Apr 28 2013 - 09:04

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 20026 battles
  • [BULBA] BULBA
I don't know why people think the T1 is bad. You can sidescrape or angle around a corner as well as any t5s (kv1 specifically), you can out-dpm most t5s, you can outmaneuver any other t5 heavy, and you have great gun depression to boot. The t1 is the t32 of t5. But of course, if you are bad with the t32, you must be using the t1 wrong too. Just my opinion I guess (I do have a 70% w/r and 1k avg dmg in my t1 over 110 games). If you like pub-stomping, the T1 is a great carry tank for t5, even better than the t49.

Oh and to answer the OP, yeah never go out in the open, as your sides are much to vulnerable if more than 1 tank attacks you. Just work on isolating one enemy at a time - you will be able to finish him off pretty quickly with your dpm and you could always angle with your troll armor (if you've ever gone up against an american heavy, you should know the optimal angle they use - its around 15-20 degrees, the maximum angle at which tracks will likely absorb hits). The tank's powerful engine allows it to flex around the battlefield (especially useful when your team is the melty kind).

Edited by yo2u, Apr 28 2013 - 09:20.

Zonzite #23 Posted Apr 29 2013 - 00:51

Sergeant

• Players
  • 8555 battles
  • [Y0L0] Y0L0
T1 is one of my favorite tanks. Use it's speed to your advantage, and play a bit more mobile.

lightball20 #24 Posted May 01 2013 - 17:26

Major

• Players
  • 14296 battles
  • [R3TRO] R3TRO

View Postyo2u, on Apr 28 2013 - 09:04, said:

I don't know why people think the T1 is bad. You can sidescrape or angle around a corner as well as any t5s (kv1 specifically), you can out-dpm most t5s, you can outmaneuver any other t5 heavy, and you have great gun depression to boot. The t1 is the t32 of t5. But of course, if you are bad with the t32, you must be using the t1 wrong too. Just my opinion I guess (I do have a 70% w/r and 1k avg dmg in my t1 over 110 games). If you like pub-stomping, the T1 is a great carry tank for t5, even better than the t49.

Oh and to answer the OP, yeah never go out in the open, as your sides are much to vulnerable if more than 1 tank attacks you. Just work on isolating one enemy at a time - you will be able to finish him off pretty quickly with your dpm and you could always angle with your troll armor (if you've ever gone up against an american heavy, you should know the optimal angle they use - its around 15-20 degrees, the maximum angle at which tracks will likely absorb hits). The tank's powerful engine allows it to flex around the battlefield (especially useful when your team is the melty kind).
People think the T1 Heavy is bad because you actually have to be smart to use it. In the M4 you have horribad armor so you just make sure you don't get hit and because tanks like the M4, PzIV, KV-1, Churchill VII all have a derp gun they never learned that there is this tactic called aiming where you fire at a weak spot on enemy tanks. So when they get the T1 Heavy's gun they would try to use it like an M4 and sit there firing into the front of AT 2's then think its a horrible gun because it doesn't deal damage to an AT 2 that you are firing blindly at. That is the problem with the derp guns. It makes people worse at this game because they never learn how to aim a gun they just fire and deal damage. I mean if they fire at the tank's weak spots with the derp they could deal more damage but that takes too much effort.

Also that 85 mm that people love in the KV-1 no one seems to care that the T1 Heavy has that gun beat in pen. If you know how to play or get tracked and forced to rotate at a lucky angle you can bounce Jackson and KV-1S shots off the front of your tank while you yourself are sitting there penning and killing them.

Humbug01 #25 Posted May 01 2013 - 19:23

Sergeant

• Players
  • 10884 battles
It's already been said but I'll repeat because I too loved the T1 for a quite a while (over 400 battles). With spall liner and controlled impact it has speed and weight to ram and kill most meds and lights. Otherwise, think of it as a really big medium and get to sides and rears of targets when possible.

Garand #26 Posted May 01 2013 - 23:50

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 23140 battles
T1 is a great tank.  In a tier 5 match it can dominate.  Here a couple of videos for your viewing pleasure:

Picked up 12k experience on a x5 weekend and single handily turned this one around:

Another very solid match where the T1 was able to carry at the end:

Edited by Garand, May 01 2013 - 23:51.

Blazin40s #27 Posted May 02 2013 - 14:29

Sergeant

• Players
  • 12949 battles
T1 is awesome, especially when you have games where people are dumb enough to wait around for me to ram them.  I never had a heavy before this one, ramming is too much fun.  I can only imagine what people are thinking when they see me roll up on them at 35 km/h

sixarmedman #28 Posted May 03 2013 - 11:30

Private

• Players
  • 10899 battles
I love how the VK 30.01 (German medium tier 6) grinds through the front armor of this tank like it's nothing. I've angled my hull around corners but accomplishes nothing against this particular tank as it can kill me with 3-4 shots to my front. It's an "okay" tank, but nothing that blows my mind away.

FlorbFnarb #29 Posted May 07 2013 - 21:16

Major

• Players
  • 12743 battles
  • [M--M] M--M

View Postsixarmedman, on May 03 2013 - 11:30, said:

I love how the VK 30.01 (German medium tier 6) grinds through the front armor of this tank like it's nothing. I've angled my hull around corners but accomplishes nothing against this particular tank as it can kill me with 3-4 shots to my front. It's an "okay" tank, but nothing that blows my mind away.

I assume it's got the 75mm gun, which has 150mm of pen - you won't bounce that much without very good angling AND luck.

caramel #30 Posted May 18 2013 - 08:57

Captain

• Players
  • 3850 battles
  • [MLPVA] MLPVA
Despite generally running m y sherman with the 105MM { I use it to hunt lights and other squishier targets that dare look at my artillery the wrong way}, I love the m1A1 on the T-1 heavy, its size isn't much to balk at, or its hull armor {especially the sides, being flanked HURTS]. But playing this beasty smart can be extrodinarily devestating, as KV1's will find it difficult to go toe to toe with you if you're hulls down.

It's also amazingly fun to ramp this thing over hills and belly-flop onto light tanks on the other side, the reactions are priceless, people think just because its gun isn't the best that it's a bad tank, which is quite false, its high accuracy, high rate of fire, and the tanks extremely thick gun mantlet in a hulls down position give it insanely good power for its tier, it can also be used as a very effective raming and belly floping tank {I'd flown over a hill on Prokhorovka and landed belly-down on a T-46 light tank, instant killed him. T1 sit on puny smaller tanks!}. But really this tank shines as a support heavy, and NOT a front line brawler. If you go brawling with a Russian, you're going to lose, as you have a very big weak spot right in the dead center of your hull {That entire flat plate bellow your gun but above your upper glacius is a huge weak-spot, and a flat angle.} but not much on your tier or bellow is going to hurt you from that gun mantlet, save "Derp cannons" which can well, hurt anything really.

Edited by caramel, May 18 2013 - 09:03.

caeman #31 Posted May 28 2013 - 16:21

Major

• Players
  • 12236 battles
  • [102ND] 102ND
Look up my stats with my T1 Heavy to see why I believe the following words...

I love my T1 Heavy.  It can be a roflstomper.  Despite the M1A1 not dealing that much dmg at once, with a GLD and Rammer, the RoF is high.  In the time a Sherman is reloading their HEAT, you can shoot them twice.  Three shots in the side of the M4 and it is destroyed.  When driving the T1, imagine that you are the hulk.  Smash through buildings and ram into tanks.  Fire-Ram-Fire.  The target is usually destroyed, unless it is a KV-1, then you have to shoot a third time.

Last night, I matchmaker handed me El Halluf while in my T1's 5-game win streak.  I went west to the pinch, but didn't stop.  There were no arties in the battle, so there was nothing to stop me.  I drove up the hill, and with two Shermans in tow, we roflstomped that flank and destroyed the enemy.  I got Top Gun.  The extra 2,000 xp was nice.

My T1's WR is hovering around 60% with a good survival rate, despite my tendency to hulk smash.  I remember one battle on Campinova where I went to the hill.  Again, I didn't stop.  Shoot-Ram-Shoot.  I killed 3 in a row as I started the downhill portion of the event.  I was 10 meters from smashing a Sherman when he gold-derped me.  That disruption to the enemy helped my team utterly dominate.

I so want to take a platoon of 3 T1's into a series of battles.

mmhello #32 Posted May 29 2013 - 22:44

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 14228 battles

View Postsixarmedman, on May 03 2013 - 11:30, said:

wow a tank a higher tier than can kill you one on one, what unheard of

Bastard1969 #33 Posted May 30 2013 - 15:25

Sergeant

• Players
  • 6824 battles
I'm pretty much at the same cross road, I grinded the T-29 through the M4/M4e2 jumbo and just researched and bought it last night... I read something in a post last week about getting the 90mm from the M6 to use on the T-29 or it wouldn't be that effective until I did, so I went back and picked up the T-1 to grind out the M6 and I have to say the T-1 is a pretty good tank... I'm not a pro like some of these guys, but I've had some really good battles with it and 1 match me and a M4 was the last tanks left and took on 2 KV 1's and I think a Church 3 to win the match... I only lack a thousand or so XP to unlock the M6 to grind the 90mm, so here I sit with a brand new T-29 in garage with 100% crew (not cheap, bought the crew) waiting to run the M6 up to the 90mm... Everybody keeps saying the M6 sucks, but that's what they said about the T-1, but after playing it I have a new respect for it... Good luck

CristianRO #34 Posted Jun 04 2013 - 04:34

Corporal

• Players
  • 3185 battles
From what I've noticed about T1 Heavy, it is not a pure heavy tank. It is best played as a medium tank due to it's speed and medium gun, use the hull down as often as you can and keep the front towards the reds. If flanked, this tanks is an easy target for many tier 3 light tanks.

maxman1 #35 Posted Jun 06 2013 - 09:23

Major

• Players
  • 3912 battles
  • [USSR_] USSR_

View PostDredhawk, on Apr 25 2013 - 08:31, said:

Looks to me EeeeK farming neg rep....

At 187 post and -992 rep, that's the only possibility.

Seraphil #36 Posted Jun 06 2013 - 10:13

Captain

• Players
  • 16299 battles
  • [WOONA] WOONA

View Postlightball20, on May 01 2013 - 17:26, said:

People think the T1 Heavy is bad because you actually have to be smart to use it. In the M4 you have horribad armor so you just make sure you don't get hit and because tanks like the M4, PzIV, KV-1, Churchill VII all have a derp gun they never learned that there is this tactic called aiming where you fire at a weak spot on enemy tanks. So when they get the T1 Heavy's gun they would try to use it like an M4 and sit there firing into the front of AT 2's then think its a horrible gun because it doesn't deal damage to an AT 2 that you are firing blindly at. That is the problem with the derp guns. It makes people worse at this game because they never learn how to aim a gun they just fire and deal damage. I mean if they fire at the tank's weak spots with the derp they could deal more damage but that takes too much effort.

Also that 85 mm that people love in the KV-1 no one seems to care that the T1 Heavy has that gun beat in pen. If you know how to play or get tracked and forced to rotate at a lucky angle you can bounce Jackson and KV-1S shots off the front of your tank while you yourself are sitting there penning and killing them.

Churchills do not have derp guns.  No, a dinky 3" howitzer with low alpha and nonexistent pen is not a derp gun.  Just like the T1 Heavy, you have to be smart to use a Churchill well.

However, if I want a tank with high ROF, high pen and good accuracy, why would I prefer a T1 Heavy?  Churchill has it beat in pen and accuracy and is close in ROF(and definitely wins there with the 6 pdr), BDR has it beat in pen and accuracy too, and both beat it in alpha damage.  The M1A1 is sufficient for a tier 5 heavy gun, sure, but it's not this amazing better-than-the-rest weapon.

Regarding hull-down, the T1 Heavy has the tallest hull profile for a tier 5 heavy, which means the amount of locations it can adequately keep its paper armor hidden is not that high, even with the great gun depression.  Sure the turret armor is good, but who ever aims for the T1's small turret when the hull is such a massive target?  On top of that, it's the only tier 5 heavy that can take full damage from a 105mm HE round on a regular basis due to the weak and huge side/rear armor.

T1 Heavy certainly has some strengths in it's benefit(it definitely has the best battlefield mobility of the tier 5 heavies, being able to respond quicker to changing situations, which is actually a big strength,) but honestly it's the one tier 5 heavy I have little fear of on the battlefield when actually fighting it.

FlorbFnarb #37 Posted Jun 06 2013 - 16:30

Major

• Players
  • 12743 battles
  • [M--M] M--M
"Paper armor"?  The T1 has the strongest frontal armor in Tier 5.

Seraphil #38 Posted Jun 06 2013 - 22:26

Captain

• Players
  • 16299 battles
  • [WOONA] WOONA
Not if going by effective armor, and 84mm only on the upper frontal armor strip.  Lower frontal is about 38mm and on a so-so slope.  And even if just accounting for max thickness, it's bested compared to the Churchill's frontal(89mm on upper frontal plate, nevermind the small 177mm plate around the hull gun), and both tanks are bested by the KV-1's effective frontal armor which is overall more consistent.  When we factor in the sides/rear, T1 lags behind the rest.  Admittedly the BDR G1B has the worst side armor due to it being 40mm and having a massive weakspot there on top of that, but the front and rear armor are pretty well-sloped 60mm.

The turret armor is the T1's best protection, but again who would shoot at that small turret when the hull is such a nice, fat target?

Bossballoon #39 Posted Jun 07 2013 - 00:33

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 2537 battles
  • [HAFR] HAFR
I think Wargaming should give the T1 heavy the M1A2... better ROF and accuracy. It would make it a little bit more  on par with the Sherman so not everyone chooses Sherman derp all the time.

maxman1 #40 Posted Jun 07 2013 - 10:03

Major

• Players
  • 3912 battles
  • [USSR_] USSR_
That, or the longer M1.

I can't speak for everyone, but the reason I use the 105 on my Sherman is I'm too cheap to spring for a second M1A1.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users