Need some advice.

disabled disability handicapped handicap tremor essentialtremor

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
25 replies to this topic

Geophage #1 Posted Apr 25 2013 - 16:34

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 17259 battles
I've been playing for a while now and I think I'm finally getting the hang of it.  I've went from terribad to mediocre, and I hope to keep improving.

I have a tremor disorder that is bad enough that I can't work, so I stay at home and play WoT.  I use a program called SteadyMouse and a keyboard with huge buttons to partially compensate for my shakiness.  Still, in heated battles when my adrenaline gets going, I shake so bad that all I can do is auto-target and try to out-manuver them.
What tanks would work well for me?  I do best with my T49, Cromwell, and Pz38(t).  I do "ok" in my VK3601(H) and T-44.  I suck with the T-50, but it's hella fun and I prefer to play it over all others.

While I appreciate any tips on tactics, what I'm looking for is advice on which tanks would be most forgiving of my particular disability.  Thanks in advance.

SolidBeer #2 Posted Apr 25 2013 - 16:37

Captain

• Players
  • 14392 battles
might try the AMX 13 75 and 13 90. Also the T71. Watch the new video and see if the T71 is to your liking.

GirlwithAgun #3 Posted Apr 25 2013 - 16:41

Corporal

• Players
  • 136 battles
I think arty may be your cup of tea...

anonym_8c6WUbf6C7MT #4 Posted Apr 25 2013 - 16:42

Major

• -Players-
  • 0 battles
Yes, T71 might be good for you, it's very speedy agile and low speed bleeding. But I kinda know how you feel when your adrenaline starts pumping, I get the shivers and always miss the last shot. -_-

Super_Salo7 #5 Posted Apr 25 2013 - 16:43

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 17757 battles
auto aim is only acceptable for close-mid range battles so you'll need a fast tank to get in , reload and get out. good penetration is also needed.
Autoloaders are good choice, american fast TDs are also good (they are fast but not as maneuverable - t49, hellcat).

i would also use premium shells,and playing 5-7 tiers you should not be loosing money.

Good luck!

Edited by Super_Salo7, Apr 25 2013 - 16:44.

Geophage #6 Posted Apr 25 2013 - 16:52

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 17259 battles
Thanks for the replies :)

I'm planning to try the French light line ... again.  When I tried it before I made it to the AMX 12t, which I did really badly with.  But it's been a while and I'm a lot better than I was then, and maybe it'll work out this time.

I have a decent American crew that I could put in a T71.  I was thinking about putting them in a Chaffee, but I've heard people gush about the T71 so that might be a better choice.  TY for suggesting it.

I loved my SU-5, and did well with it, but the SU-8 (and subsequent Russian SPGs) with the painfully slow rate of fire really turned me off to arty.  I may revisit the line because arty was the first thing I really played as a newb, so maybe now I can do better with it.

vladvirus #7 Posted Apr 25 2013 - 16:55

Major

• Players
  • 12295 battles
If you are relying on autoaim alot - research skills for your crew such as smooth ride and snap shot. This will improve autoaim a lot.

Since you like T49 - u'll like the Hellcat which comes next
If you enjoy T44 - you'll really enjoy T-54 which comes next - great tank.

I also suggest German original medium line. Very accurate guns which is a plus if using autoaim. Most of the tanks in that line are pretty good topped with E50M at tier X - one of my favourite mediums.

If you're looking for heavies - stick with the Russians. IS3 is a great tier 8 heavy- fast, bouncy and does good damage at close range.

See you on the battlefield! Best of luck to you mate!

Edited by vladvirus, Apr 25 2013 - 16:59.

anonym_iuaRnHk9kW6j #8 Posted Apr 25 2013 - 16:57

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 0 battles
Play what you enjoy and if its a scout, then play a scout. My preference would be to slow it down a notch and run a heavy. I think Super_Salo7 gave you some solid tips, ones that I would follow.

Good Luck.

Geophage #9 Posted Apr 25 2013 - 16:59

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 17259 battles

View PostSuper_Salo7, on Apr 25 2013 - 16:43, said:

auto aim is only acceptable for close-mid range battles so you'll need a fast tank to get in , reload and get out. good penetration is also needed.
Autoloaders are good choice, american fast TDs are also good (they are fast but not as maneuverable - t49, hellcat).

i would also use premium shells,and playing 5-7 tiers you should not be loosing money.

Good luck!

I break even with my T-54 ... even with a ~15% win rate.  Making credits isn't really the issue, but I do play Tier 5-6 to make money.

The only time I use auto aim is in those twisty knife-fight battles, or when circle-strafing in my T-50.  The rest of the time I'm either sitting in a bush firing at the enemy or advancing to the next bush.  Your advice about the autoloaders is very interesting :)

xTheButcherPete #10 Posted Apr 25 2013 - 17:01

Major

• Players
  • 15324 battles
The turret on the T-34-85 turns faster than the hull, and the proper use of this tank means accuracy is not important, so I would guess that this tank would treat you well. Just flank and watch the rage

Pterosaur #11 Posted Apr 25 2013 - 17:03

Sergeant

• Players
  • 22324 battles
  • [SG] SG
I would believe you have lots of options.
We all have tanks that just don't fit our style...don't play those.
I would think the Hellcat would be worth a shot.
Have you tried any Heavy tanks?  KV1S is a solid tank, forgiving with great damage.
You will know 1/2 way through the KV1 grind if it's for you.
Add a Grille to your garage and you will be all set for Medium Tank Company battles.

See ya out there.

xTheButcherPete #12 Posted Apr 25 2013 - 17:07

Major

• Players
  • 15324 battles
The one tank you don't want to drive is the KV-2 >.> that crosshair blows up to full size if you fart or blink too fast.

Geophage #13 Posted Apr 25 2013 - 17:16

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 17259 battles
I really kinda expected to get a bunch of replies advising me to uninstall :)

Thanks for all the advice.

xTheButcherPete #14 Posted Apr 25 2013 - 17:19

Major

• Players
  • 15324 battles

View PostGeophage, on Apr 25 2013 - 17:16, said:

I really kinda expected to get a bunch of replies advising me to uninstall :)

Thanks for all the advice.

nahh, some of us are in your boat. I can't stand sudden muscle jerks while playing a TD or arty >.< breaks my camo net

scout_in_da_house #15 Posted Apr 25 2013 - 17:21

Major

• Players
  • 41294 battles
  • [LABS] LABS
Pretty much what others said

- Arty
- Flanking tanks so you can auto aim
- Russian high caliber or other tanks that primarily use HE

JLK_250 #16 Posted Apr 25 2013 - 17:21

Major

• Players
  • 23925 battles
  • [GMONK] GMONK
I'm just guessing, but would slower tanks and sniping be more suitable than zippy fast tanks or brawlers?   I'm thinking TDs and SPGs.   You have the T49.  Do you do well and like it because it is an invisible bush sniper or do you like it because it is super fast and you can run around like a scout in it?   The downside of those are that you actually have to aim well.   Have you tried derp guns?   They don't require aiming quite as much and might work better if you have to auto aim due to your situation.   Or do you only have to auto aim when in the heat of battle in a fast tank?  Sometimes it's better to auto aim even if you have no physical impairment, like when you have to pay more attention to driving than aiming.

Ober999 #17 Posted Apr 25 2013 - 17:42

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 19829 battles
I wouldn't normally discuss this on-forum but since you have the courage to discuss it, I can too. I have a nerological problem that effects my hand eye coordination making it hard to get the cross hairs to go where I want everytime. It might be similar in outcome to your issue. I find TD's and heavily armored tanks work best for me as they are more forgiving for my mistakes. I play mostly tier 4-6 and I really like the Matilda and VK3601. The matilda has a ROF that makes up for the shots that miss and the Vk is so accurate that when I do hit I often get damage. Both these tanks afford enough armor to let me hang in longer. The TD's work because at a distance I don't have to worry about being flanked that often and I don't have to move the mouse great distances to stay on target.

On a side note I checked your stats and they are awesome! Your so much better than me its not funny. Granted I have been improving bit by bit, but you are doing great. I feel like I should be asking you for advice not giving it. :wink:  Like you I have a lot of fun in cyberland and love playing tanks even if I suck most of the time. I did manage to pull off a top gun once though its my medal of honor.

see ya in the field
Ober

....and +1 for courage.

Edited by Ober999, Apr 25 2013 - 17:45.

ThePigSheFlies #18 Posted Apr 25 2013 - 18:04

Major

• Players
  • 74397 battles
  • [SIMP] SIMP
the tanks you mentioned that you best on are high pen, low alpha guns with good RoF (like cromwell)

that leads me to think that you might do well in a 2nd tier/supporting role like a hellcat slinking around and engaging from behind the main action instead of during circle-strafe maneuvers.

the hellcat's aim bloom hardly changes when traversing the turret (unless you're also driving). so it may very well work for you.  another option on the LT side would mean that most of the time you aren't shooting at all - try passive scouting in addition to active scouting.

tanks that allow you to run a vertical stabilizer may also suit you to some degree, but some of those are also ones that often get into brawling matches and the adrenalin pump could take effect - especially if you're taking focused fire and have fairly well known weak spots like the super pershing.

the chaffee can mount a vert stab, but the MM puts it often up against tanks that you don't want to shoot at and expose yourself too very frequently so I run mine with camo net, vents, and binocs to try to stay hidden as often as possible.  late in the game when helping finish of stragglers the vert stab isn't quite as important for me, as I'm typically ambushing from 400m away at exposed weak points, resetting the cap - or at worst again using auto-aim to target arty while I bounce around trying to avoid their desperate td-mode death blasts

Geophage #19 Posted Apr 25 2013 - 18:22

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 17259 battles

View PostJLK_250, on Apr 25 2013 - 17:21, said:

I'm just guessing, but would slower tanks and sniping be more suitable than zippy fast tanks or brawlers?   I'm thinking TDs and SPGs.   You have the T49.  Do you do well and like it because it is an invisible bush sniper or do you like it because it is super fast and you can run around like a scout in it?   The downside of those are that you actually have to aim well.   Have you tried derp guns?   They don't require aiming quite as much and might work better if you have to auto aim due to your situation.   Or do you only have to auto aim when in the heat of battle in a fast tank?  Sometimes it's better to auto aim even if you have no physical impairment, like when you have to pay more attention to driving than aiming.

Yep, I generally do ok in heavy tanks, the KV-1S being an exception  :angry:   I can hang in the pocket for a few seconds and get off a couple of good aimed shots before backing out and re-positioning.  I haven't really explored the sniping tanks, but I'll be sure to look up information on them.

I do ok with turreted tank destroyers like the T49 and Hellcat, but I make more money (and can pad my stats) with the T49.  Usually I hang back a bit, see who's going where then take up a position to support whoever seems to know what they're doing.  If I see three heavies scared to advance against a single enemy who's bluff-tanking them, I'll use my speed to rush in and distract him,  hoping that my teammates will take the opportunity to advance and kill him.  Too often they just cower behind their rocks and watch me die, then stumble forward one at a time to die themselves.

I think I do well in it because it is an excellent bush-sniper, but has the speed to provide support on any flank when needed.  I read up on WWII Hellcat tactics and adapted them to WoT, and it's worked out well.  My hit rate is decent (60-something percent?) and I usually take the time to let my reticle settle before firing.  I play my T-50 as more of an infiltrator than a spotter, hanging back while the other lights suiscout, then exploit whatever openings I can find to advance against the enemy's arty and TDs.

Derp guns are usually way to slow for my tastes.  I'd rather shoot six times and score crits that cripple the enemy (all my non-SPG gunners get Deadeye) than shoot one time and wait 15 seconds for a reload.  Chalk that up to my semi-hyperactive nature.  It's why mid to high tier SPGs make me want to kick puppies.

You're exactly right about how I use auto aim.  It's for up close and personal battles when stopping to aim means death  :blinky:

Geophage #20 Posted Apr 25 2013 - 18:29

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 17259 battles

View PostThePigSheFlies, on Apr 25 2013 - 18:04, said:

the tanks you mentioned that you best on are high pen, low alpha guns with good RoF (like cromwell)

that leads me to think that you might do well in a 2nd tier/supporting role like a hellcat slinking around and engaging from behind the main action instead of during circle-strafe maneuvers.

the hellcat's aim bloom hardly changes when traversing the turret (unless you're also driving). so it may very well work for you.  another option on the LT side would mean that most of the time you aren't shooting at all - try passive scouting in addition to active scouting.

tanks that allow you to run a vertical stabilizer may also suit you to some degree, but some of those are also ones that often get into brawling matches and the adrenalin pump could take effect - especially if you're taking focused fire and have fairly well known weak spots like the super pershing.

the chaffee can mount a vert stab, but the MM puts it often up against tanks that you don't want to shoot at and expose yourself too very frequently so I run mine with camo net, vents, and binocs to try to stay hidden as often as possible.  late in the game when helping finish of stragglers the vert stab isn't quite as important for me, as I'm typically ambushing from 400m away at exposed weak points, resetting the cap - or at worst again using auto-aim to target arty while I bounce around trying to avoid their desperate td-mode death blasts

An error occurred

You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day

Good advice.  I didn't know the Chaffee could mount a vertical stabilizer.  I was thinking of playing it exactly as you describe.

Also tagged with disabled, disability, handicapped, handicap, tremor, essentialtremor

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users