[0.8.8][Mod] Treborn`s Mix : Working Zoom In/Out + Server Reticle

8.5 zoom in zoom out mod wot× zoom in zoom out 8.5 zoom in working server side reticle server side crosshair

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
21 replies to this topic

Treborn #1 Posted Apr 27 2013 - 16:11

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles
This package contains a Sniper Zoom In mod with 4 incrementals acording to x2 x4 x8 and x10. It is tested and confirmed to work with 0.8.5.
Also if you actually care if your shot will land where you aim you should use the Server Reticle. This package has included a blue minimal doted Server Side reticle.
1. Download and extract archive.
2. Copy/paste 8.7 folder to your res_mods.
3. Start game.
Unfortunatelly this board doesent let me post links to images, please check this thread for preview photos.
Version history:
Maximum zoom in changed from x10 to x16 (suggestion from NA forum)
Maximum zoom out for sniper artillery view changed so you can see 8x8 squares of the map. (due to several request from EU players)
Server side reticle redone. Now it is bigger and yellow.
Release Version

jagerdrago #2 Posted Apr 27 2013 - 16:14

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 18595 battles
  • [PZB] PZB
theres nothing in the spoilers....might be me

Tiger_23 #3 Posted Apr 27 2013 - 16:15

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 9938 battles
  • [-NHL-] -NHL-
10x zoom >:3

Thx treborn.

neocatRUS #4 Posted Apr 27 2013 - 16:16

Corporal

• Players
  • 6 battles
Moderators, what happens if I write in Russian on your board? (google translate)

lawndart_78 #5 Posted Apr 30 2013 - 04:35

Sergeant

• Players
  • 16628 battles
Okay, this may seem like a weird post, but here goes...

Any time I try to change the 4 levels of zoom to numbers other than what it comes with, it reverts to 3 levels of zoom.  I have no idea what the levels of zoom are, but I prefer 2 4 8 16 for my x4 zooms.  All attempts at this with your zoom mod and the one by koshnaranek here result in the issue of x3 zoom.  When I tested each of them they work fine with x4 levels of sniper zoom, yet changing the numbers for the 4 levels dumps it back to x3.  

I've also been messing with with Melty's Math Mod as well.  I wanted to take his arty crosshair out of his mod and put it with my modpack, but I think from past experience i found that his arty reticle needs its own special avatar_input_handler.xml and cameras.pyc.  Luckily enough he also uses the zoomX4.xml.  When using his setup with the arty reticle meant I was also using his zoomX4.xml in a normal tank.  I could change his zoomX4 levels to whatever I wanted and they worked and I still had 4 levels of zoom.  

Out of curiosity I installed your zoom mod again, checked it again.  Have 4 levels of zoom until I change the zoom numbers until I change one, then it goes back to 3 levels of zoom.  Just for the heck of it, I replaced the zoomX4.xml from your mod with the one from Melty's pack and I was able to edit it all I wanted.  Set it to my preferred 2 4 8 16, works great.  Just to make sure it was reflecting the changes I was making to it I set it to 2 4 8 46.  Still had 4 levels of zoom and that last one made the rock I was using as a reference HUGE, the it was registering what I was changing.

So the short of this is....... I think you might have a corrupt zoomX4.xml.  Sorry for the long post, but I wanted you to see how I tested this and came to this conclusion.  The one in koshnaranek's appears to bee corrupt too.  I've been trying to figure this out for a while and I'm going cross-eyed from it, so let me know if I'm crazy.

WoTHitZones #6 Posted Apr 30 2013 - 13:05

Private

• Players
  • 0 battles
Did you actually had x46 magnification? Or was it something more like x16?

lawndart_78 #7 Posted Apr 30 2013 - 13:59

Sergeant

• Players
  • 16628 battles
46 was not a typo or exaggeration.  I spent quite a while figuring this out.  I used the same replay for each test and paused it at the same time on the clock.  Then I was able to look at a rock and take screenshots to compare the magnification.  I wanted to set it to a level that made it obvious that the changes I was making were actually having an effect.  In the zoom mod I was using with 8.4, I had it set to 2 4 8 16.  I changed the last of the four levels from 16 to 46 and it was huge compared to the 16, which I normally use.  It was fairly useless at 46, but it satisfied that part of my test.  At that high of magnification your field of view is so narrow you can't tell when your aim circle is wide open or at its smallest.  If you zoom in too fast you have to zoom back out just to be able to tell where you were looking.  It's like trying to do a slalom course while looking through a drinking straw.  Super high magnification in a dynamic environment can be just as much of a hindrance as a benefit in a dynamic environment like WoT.  As to whether it was real x46 magnification I have no clue.  I do know rocks were about double the size at x46 as when it's set for x16, which leads me to believe that those numbers are more a made up value than a real representation of mag. power, otherwise I think the rocks would have been closer to 3x the size of what I saw on x16, but I could be wrong.

Out of curiosity, why did you create an account on the NA server just to ask this question?

Treborn #8 Posted Apr 30 2013 - 20:03

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles
I have no problem to setup up this config so I can keep 4 incrementals. The single time when I have 3 incrementals if I setup x2 x2 x8 x16. But that situation it is logic. Its easy to corrupt the file if you`re using Notepad, for that I recomand NotepadPlus. I agree with your testing methods and I really appreciate the effort. I can concur that those values are more or less arbitrary. A value of x46 will give you a larger zoom but will not be actual x48. For some reasons WoT is not having a linear distribution. Based on your feedback and some more feedback from EU I present you this:

Version 1.1
Maximum zoom in changed from x10 to x16 (suggestion from NA forum)
Maximum zoom out for sniper artillery view changed so you can see 8x8 squares of the map. (due to several request from EU players)
Server side reticle redone. Now it is bigger and yellow.

lawndart_78 #9 Posted Apr 30 2013 - 22:32

Sergeant

• Players
  • 16628 battles
Thanks, I'll give Notepad+ a try.  Hope you like the 2 4 8 16 setup.  And that zoom out for arty is CRAZY HUGE.  Never tried it that big.  Whenever I messed with changing it above stock values in 8.4 arty tracers dissapeared, making CB impossible.  In all my tests last night I loaded my final configs with a replay of a training room test where it was just me and a friend, sitting on our flags, and firing arty just to make sure we could still see tracers from a max arty zoom of 100.  They worked fine, so just out of curiosity I set arty zoom to 200 and was still able to see tracers.  That wasn't possible with the zoom I was using in 8.4, the tracers just didn't show when you zoomed up past a certain height.  I'll have to check if it's still visible with arty zoom set to your new number.  I also haven't messed with a serverside cross in quite a while.  I'll have to give it a try as well.  I know about the check box in the settings, but is there still a hotkey to turn it on and off?  I thought it used to be CTRL-F11 or something like that.  Thanks again.

Treborn #10 Posted Apr 30 2013 - 23:17

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles
Before the combination of CAPS + 0 was activating/deactivating the server side reticle but since they put a check box in options that keyboard shortcut is not working anymore. At maximum zoom tracers might disappear because you are just to far away to see them lol. But 4 different people asked me for this option so i gave it a try. Shouldnt harm, if somebody doesent like it he shouldnt zoom out too much in arty view.

When I`ll have a few spare hours I will try to enchance the server side crosshair. It should be possible to increase its resolution and with proper mapping to make it bigger and higher definition.

lawndart_78 #11 Posted Apr 30 2013 - 23:55

Sergeant

• Players
  • 16628 battles
I just quit using the old serverside one because it was clunky looking and a bit of an eyesore.  It looked like an afterthought someone made in paint.  It, pus the Central Marker, plus the Gun Marker were too many layers of stuff to look through and it was distracting.  I've seen some nice ones since then and I'll give your new one a try later tonight.  The one's I've been tempted to try have usually been pretty minimalist, thin lines and not very big so they wouldn't clog the view.

Edited to add:  If you haven't noticed, I'm a picky bastard.  That's why I started putting together my own modpack.  There are some really nice ones out there and now I know how much goes into keeping one updated, but there was always something in all of them that I didn't quite like.  This would all be so much simpler if I could just learn to say "Screw it, this is what's available.  I'm happy with it."

Edited by lawndart_78, May 01 2013 - 00:00.

Treborn #12 Posted May 01 2013 - 07:51

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles
Then you are one step away from modding  :veryhappy: I started to mod what it didnt feel ok.

MaddogJedi #13 Posted Jun 29 2013 - 19:17

Corporal

• Players
  • 7665 battles
Any chance for a 8.6 version of this mod? I really miss the yellow sniper server side reticle

Treborn #14 Posted Jul 28 2013 - 19:00

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles
It is updated to 0.8.7 guys.

Legedi #15 Posted Jul 29 2013 - 18:08

Sergeant

• Players
  • 16318 battles
Out of the avatar_input_handler.xml and ZoomX.xml, which lines do I change to put the zooms I want?
I tried putting the mod in, but was only getting the standard three levels of zoom. Not sure what I messed up, or who to check.
Edit: I fixed it so the mod works by doing a fresh install but I still wonder which numbers I change. The avatar_input_handler has "<zooms>8 20 60 120</zooms>" and ZoomX has "<zooms>2 4 8 16</zooms>". I assume the ZoomX controlls the amount of zoom. What is the avatar_input_handler line doing?

Edited by Legedi, Jul 29 2013 - 18:15.

Trombose #16 Posted Jul 29 2013 - 19:53

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 40679 battles
Ok what about just the serverside crosshairs? I don't want a mod effecting my zoom levels (especially changing the mount of zoom in on each scroll / keypress) I do however want the serverside crosshair overlay, what files do I have to rip out of this to just get the serverside crosshair overlay.
Alternatively could you point me in the direction of the site / guide you used to learn how to edit the serverside crosshair files to update them for each new patch so that I don't have to rely on other people to do it for me, the serverside crosshair is the hardest mod to find after each new patch, sometimes it's weeks before a new one is made / posted here or on another site.
The "new" serverside crosshair WG added in is absolute garbage, it jumps around way to much to be effectively used, yet another thing WG decided to fix when it wasn't broken and ended up making it completely unusable.

Bartuc #17 Posted Jul 30 2013 - 06:04

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 19625 battles
Whats happened to server reticle?

Treborn #18 Posted Jul 31 2013 - 17:53

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostLegedi, on Jul 29 2013 - 18:08, said:

Out of the avatar_input_handler.xml and ZoomX.xml, which lines do I change to put the zooms I want?
I tried putting the mod in, but was only getting the standard three levels of zoom. Not sure what I messed up, or who to check.
Edit: I fixed it so the mod works by doing a fresh install but I still wonder which numbers I change. The avatar_input_handler has "<zooms>8 20 60 120</zooms>" and ZoomX has "<zooms>2 4 8 16</zooms>". I assume the ZoomX controlls the amount of zoom. What is the avatar_input_handler line doing?

Your assumption is corect, you should edit ZoomX

View PostBartuc, on Jul 30 2013 - 06:04, said:

Whats happened to server reticle?

What do you mean?

Harry30000 #19 Posted Aug 11 2013 - 05:14

Sergeant

• Players
  • 7871 battles
Hey Treborn outstanding mod, but I was wondering how do I get rid of the Zoom out part, I don't really find that many uses to it besides if you're in a fight and the enemy is cowaring around a corner. And was wondering if there was any ways to remove it, thanks!

Treborn #20 Posted Sep 15 2013 - 14:39

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostHarry30000, on Aug 11 2013 - 05:14, said:

Hey Treborn outstanding mod, but I was wondering how do I get rid of the Zoom out part, I don't really find that many uses to it besides if you're in a fight and the enemy is cowaring around a corner. And was wondering if there was any ways to remove it, thanks!

Hello, you can edit if you go to res_mods\0.8.8\gui\avatar_input_handler open with notepad++ and change the value in the arcade section.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users