Complete Tank Company Guide

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
57 replies to this topic

Smokin_Cookie #1 Posted May 06 2013 - 23:33

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles
Current Version: v0.3 - Updated 10/30/2013
I am a huge fan of Tank Companies, and to be honest I'm a bit bummed they aren't more popular.
I love Calling TCs for Relic and I love playing in them. TCs offer the teamwork and tactics of CW, without the do-or-die stress. So, to help promote TCs by hopefully getting more players involved, I've written "The Complete Tank Company Guide".
Be warned, as the title implies I try and be as complete as possible (within reason). So, the Guide is 20+ pages, and will grow as I add more content.
This Guide is aimed at new players looking for an alternative to mind-numbing pubbie battles. So, if you're a WoT Vet, then there's not going to be much new in here.
I discuss Tank Company basics, like: Communication & Teamwork, Basic Tactics like Focus Fire and Rotating Damage, and game-specific tactics for Standard, Encounter, and Assault battles. I also discuss what makes for a good TC tank (and what doesn't). I also break down each type of TC and list out the preferred tanks for each (and why). Currently I do this for Junior and Medium TCs, with Champions and Absolute coming soon.
This is essentially the rough draft, so please feel free to point out things that need correction.
Smokin_Cookie's "Complete Tank Company Guide" v0.3
Coming Soon: I plan on expanding this guide with additional material, in addition, I'm also writing suplemental guides that cover specific aspects of TCs, such as Scouting, individual Tanks, and individual Maps.
If there's something else you'd like me to cover in depth, please let me know.

Edited by Smokin_Cookie, Oct 31 2013 - 03:19.

Panther_Commander #2 Posted May 06 2013 - 23:39

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
gl with this project Cookie  :great:

RKSDIABLO2 #3 Posted May 08 2013 - 03:52

Sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles
Good Luck Man

tumblwd501 #4 Posted May 13 2013 - 18:06

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles
I've alway wondered about TCs, so thanks for putting this together.

But I have a stupid question for you. lol  How do you join a TC?  Is it really as easy as just joining one of those channels or whatever, from the garage?  I always assumed those were pre-planned TCs, just waiting for the players to arrive and assemble.

KQuagmire #5 Posted May 14 2013 - 18:10

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles
I'm only sad I can't give you more than one +1 ;-)

As a fairly new player, I'm just getting to the point where I'm starting to think about what tanks I should be working toward that could be useful if I look into Medium/Champion TCs.  Your guide was really great because it actually explained why these tanks are the most useful and which ones will work as a fill-in, instead of the usual "only KV-1S, lol" I've seen elsewhere.  Hope to see more info on the champion TC tanks soon.

Edited by KQuagmire, May 14 2013 - 18:10.

GeorgePreddy #6 Posted May 22 2013 - 20:31

Sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles
Nice item, I am a noob, but it makes me want to join a Company. If they extend ability to be in a Company to non-payers, I will be in, And thanks to you I will know what tank to get/practice.

Thanks, Ron Copeland (GeorgePreddy)   P.S. George E. Preddy, Jr. is the top ace of all time in the P-51 Mustang

Smokin_Cookie #7 Posted May 24 2013 - 08:03

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles
Hey guys after getting almost no feedback the first week after I posted this, I sorta gave up on this project. However, since I have received some feedback, I will go ahead and work on expanding my Guide.

View Posttumblwd501, on May 13 2013 - 18:06, said:

I've alway wondered about TCs, so thanks for putting this together.

But I have a stupid question for you. lol  How do you join a TC?  Is it really as easy as just joining one of those channels or whatever, from the garage?  I always assumed those were pre-planned TCs, just waiting for the players to arrive and assemble.

Actually I realized this wasn't included in my rough draft, and will be included in the next version.

View PostKQuagmire, on May 14 2013 - 18:10, said:

I'm only sad I can't give you more than one +1 ;-)

As a fairly new player, I'm just getting to the point where I'm starting to think about what tanks I should be working toward that could be useful if I look into Medium/Champion TCs.  Your guide was really great because it actually explained why these tanks are the most useful and which ones will work as a fill-in, instead of the usual "only KV-1S, lol" I've seen elsewhere.  Hope to see more info on the champion TC tanks soon.

Glad I could help. And yeah I wanted to not only tell new players what to get, but WHY to get it. If you can understand the why, the WHICH is a no-brainer. (And personally I think the VK36001 is better than the KV-1S, but I'm in the minority.)

View PostGeorgePreddy, on May 22 2013 - 20:31, said:

Nice item, I am a noob, but it makes me want to join a Company. If they extend ability to be in a Company to non-payers, I will be in, And thanks to you I will know what tank to get/practice.

Thanks, Ron Copeland (GeorgePreddy)   P.S. George E. Preddy, Jr. is the top ace of all time in the P-51 Mustang

Actually, ANYONE can start or join a company, Premium Account or not.

Up until recently you had to have a Premium Account to create a company, but they recently removed that restriction. So, quite waiting and get in the battle!

Lert #8 Posted May 24 2013 - 11:49

Major

• Community Contributor
  • 0 battles
Excellent guide, cookie.

howlingfang #9 Posted May 24 2013 - 22:31

Private

• Players
  • 0 battles
I am going back now to make sure I have all the tanks for junior and medium.  Thanks cookie.

Smokin_Cookie #10 Posted May 25 2013 - 04:00

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostLert, on May 24 2013 - 11:49, said:

Excellent guide, cookie.

Thank you. Coming from you that's a high compliment.  :glasses:

stavro375 #11 Posted May 25 2013 - 04:19

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles
Might I suggest you add power/weight ratios to the tank blurbs?  It's useful for distinguishing top speed from acceleration.

Smokin_Cookie #12 Posted May 25 2013 - 16:58

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles

View Poststavro375, on May 25 2013 - 04:19, said:

Might I suggest you add power/weight ratios to the tank blurbs?  It's useful for distinguishing top speed from acceleration.

That's a good idea, and I did consider that. However, I don't know a source that lists the total weight of a given tank with given modules. WG only lists base weight...

Bikkerdave #13 Posted May 25 2013 - 19:14

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles
Excellent work! I look forward to the completed project.

Steeljaw_MajT #14 Posted May 25 2013 - 20:19

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles
Looks good, I have book marked it for further perusal.  +1

stavro375 #15 Posted May 26 2013 - 04:54

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostSmokin_Cookie, on May 25 2013 - 16:58, said:

That's a good idea, and I did consider that. However, I don't know a source that lists the total weight of a given tank with given modules. WG only lists base weight...

The wiki lists specific power for all tanks with both stock and "top" gear, although in the case of guns what's "top" might not necessarily be the best. . .   I personally don't see any problem with listing power/weight rations without anything past the decimal point -- most tanks weigh so much compared to the difference between weights of guns and the weight of the tank shouldn't be that noticeable.

And I was also wondering about weakpoints -- are you planning to include the weakpoints of certain heavily-armored tanks?  Or are most tanks used in tc's so lightly armored that there's no real point?

cactus27 #16 Posted May 26 2013 - 15:14

Sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles
great start and a great idea.
when i had almost 10k battles a guy that i had platooned with a couple times invited me to a tc. he was a great caller and i loved being able to win 10, 20 or more battles in a row. but he lives in Australia and our play times didn't always coincide.
i joined a couple tc's and they we're awful so...

here is the plan i used to get in to good tc's:
  • i started a list of tc commanders and whether they we're good or not. if they we're not, not organized, bad tank selection poor players i would never go back to one of their tc's. if they we're good i would try to find them again. you can tell a lot from the comanders personal stats and his line up of players & tanks most good tcs will have a t50, a large group of kv1s, 2 grilles 2-3 meds maybe a hellcat. if the line up looks like a random battle...IT IS so stay away
  • i made an intro i could paste into the tc chat: 52% win rate in almost 10k random battles, have coms and follow orders t50, kv1s, e8, all fully upgraded &100% crew plus perks (if you have speakers be sure to put something like "have ears no mic") i would paste that as soon as i entered and if i got no response as the chat window filled i would post it again. taylor this to your own situation and get and keep as many tc tanks as you can i maintain the following t50, kv1s, 3601, t34-85, hellcat, e8, and grille even though i don't play arty much. don't have a cromwell but i will likely get one.
  • i never spoke unless spoken to.
  • after some games with a good caller i would look for opportunity to say "i really like how you call would you add me me to your friends list"
  • when i felt someone was a good tc player in a good tc i would add them to my friend list so when cruising looking for a tc i could recognize players, if i saw a couple in a tc with a caller i didn't recognize i would go in and say hi to them often they would respond with something like "bring in cactus" which really helps if the caller is good but doesn't know you.
before long i was regularly getting invites from what i considered to be the best callers in the game at the time and even though i haven't been doing tcs much for quite awhile i still get invites from some of them.

tc ettiquette tips:
  • make sure your coms are well balanced using your pc and in game settings
  • don't speak unless spoken to (most good tcs are fairly quiet)
  • never speak once the battle loading screen comes up this is "battle coms" and the caller should be only voice with few exceptions
  • don't criticize the caller or other players, if there is someone who is driving you crazy pm the caller and say "XXX is driving me crazy tonight but thanks for having me i'm gonna take a break" give him a moment to notice it. he may not say anything in which you need to politely say you need to go or...they may actually say "XXX your a good player but i need to move you out, come back when your sober'
  • PAY ATTENTION TO ORDERS!!!
if you like the above feel free to use use it or re-arrange it. good luck.

happy tanking,
cactus27

Brandonuts #17 Posted May 26 2013 - 15:21

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles
Excellent guide, bro.  +1

M_K_Papa #18 Posted May 26 2013 - 15:43

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles
Interesting guide. +1. Thanks for taking time to assemble it.
Please, consider expanding it with more tactics for open/closed/mixed maps, and add viable tanks from recent patches if any. Arty will need update after 0.8.6 for sure.
Special section on how to create/join TC, on how to prepare for battle, and more on battle etiquette would also be welcomed, I guess.
Thanks again for interesting reading.

P.S. May be, instead of PDF, you could create a TC WIKI section? It would get much wider audience then, IMHO, and would allow for hyperlinks to specific tank details, etc.

Edited by mkosulin, May 26 2013 - 15:44.

TlGERACE #19 Posted May 26 2013 - 16:04

Captain

• Players
  • 0 battles
Good work on that guide +1

GollumsFish #20 Posted May 26 2013 - 22:05

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles
Main thing I wanted to see as a newb, was how points are allocated in selecting which tanks you can field. If I'm off-base, tell me, but I thought there was a point system that limits what vehicles you can or can't include. I think you allude to it when you said that the M2 Light might be a good choice if you don't want to blow too many points on your scout slot.

Details please.