8.6 gameplay mechanic changes.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
290 replies to this topic

Ogopogo #1 Posted May 18 2013 - 01:11

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 19254 battles
  • [NTR] NTR
From Storm and the EU forums.

Dear all,

In this article, we will explain the major changes coming to the game mechanics that our producer, Michael Jivetc (Storm) has shared with us.

Note: The statistical theory behind some of the explanations below has been simplified to make the article accessible to all. For those mathematicians in the audience - please do not judge us too severely.

Changes to gun accuracy

In our opinion this is one of the most significant changes that we are bringing to the game since 0.8.0!

For those who might be interested, here is the statistical theory behind the mechanic. In game, we currently use the normal (Gauss (https://en.wikipedia...al_distribution)) distribution to calculate the values for shot dispersion. However, a limit for shot distribution has to exist, so all extreme values are restricted to the edge of the aiming circle. In simple words, the limits for the most inaccurate gun would still be the limits of the aiming circle.

Currently, in Version 8.5, we have 1.3 sigma set as a limit. This means that approximately 19.4% of shots will land at the edge of the aiming circle.

There were good reasons which this limit was chosen back in 2010, but the game has developed since then and we are ready to move on.

For Version 8.6, we have decided to change the distribution model used for accuracy calculations, by increasing the limit to 2-sigma. This means that now only 4.6% of shots will land at the edge of the aiming circle. That’s nearly 4 times less than under the old model!

We have also decided that the spike on the edge of distribution is no longer required, so the landing points for shells will be distributed equally from the center to the edge of the aiming circle. This means that overall there will be much fewer shots landing directly on the limit of the aiming circle. In other words, the shots will be more evenly distributed throughout the aiming circle.

How will it affect the gameplay?

It means that the accuracy of all guns will greatly increase. Players will notice much fewer shells falling on the edge of aiming circle – in fact such shots will become incredibly rare. We are decreasing the influence of random factors in-game, which means a corresponding increase in the value of player skill.

These changes will apply to all tanks and tank destroyers in the game. We have decided not to apply these accuracy changes to SPGs as it could potentially damage gameplay too much. The change will be compensated for by a slight increase in shell dispersion. If you've already seen leaked information about Version 0.8.6 SPG characteristics, please do not worry. It's not a nerf, just measures to avoid “over-buff”. The overall accuracy of SPGs will be pretty much the same, just more predictable.

New mechanics for HEAT shells:

Currently the way the mechanics work means that the effect of HEAT shells is barely different to normal Armour-Piercing shells. To increase the difference between them, and also to decrease the influence of HEAT shells on gameplay, we have decided to change their mechanics in Version 0.8.6 to make them more realistic:

• HEAT shells will start to ricochet if the impact angle is greater than 80 degrees. (please note that every shell can have slightly different settings). The armour penetration after ricochet will remain the same.
• After penetration, a HEAT shell cannot ricochet inside the tank (as the shell is transformed into a continuous stream.)
• After penetration, the HEAT shell will lose 5% of armour penetration force for each 10cm of travelling distance
• After penetration, the force with which the HEAT shell continues to travel through the armour will take into account the angle of impact between the armour and penetration spot

Overall, these changes mean that HEAT shells will now have ricochets instead of penetrations with 0 damage and less armour penetration values when it meets spaced armor (Maus drivers will love this change).

Note: The tracks of a vehicle will also count as spaced armour for HEAT shells.

New mechanics for camouflage:

Currently, camouflage patterns and camouflage net values work as multipliers in the overall camouflage calculation formula. So if the base camouflage values for a particular tank are low, the provided advantage from the both devices will also be close to zero.

We have decided to change this. From now on, the values for vehicles and camo devices will be cumulative.  This means that now the camouflage net and camouflage pattern will provide fixed bonuses which will only differ based on the class of the vehicle (for example, TD's will receive the highest bonus).

To avoid side-effects with having nearly invisible TD's, it was decided to decrease the overall camouflage bonuses provided by bushes and fallen trees.

Changes to amount of credits and experience points received for battles:

Currently TDs and SPGs receive penalties on the amount of experience points they receive per battle - TDs currently receive 33% less XP, while SPGs receive 50% less than regular tanks.

In Version 0.8.6, we will remove these penalties. This means that TDs and SPGs will receive much more XP per battle

We will also add an assistance bonus for keeping enemies tracked. If you track an enemy and your allies then damage it or even destroy it, you will receive a bonus in credits and XP. The mechanics will be similar to the way the bonus for spotting currently works.

Edited by Ogopogo, May 18 2013 - 01:18.

Jagdzeit #2 Posted May 18 2013 - 01:12

Major

• Players
  • 14670 battles
arty is getting the nerfbat. all other news irrevelant.

OH WAIT CRAP.

oh, fantastic. theyre actually buffing them. more XP per battle.

Edited by Jagdzeit, May 18 2013 - 01:15.

GonTo30 #3 Posted May 18 2013 - 01:13

Major

• Players
  • 13890 battles
  • [SNRK] SNRK
Those look great.

+Better accuracy
+Nerfed HEAT
+Better arty and td xp

Edited by GonTo30, May 18 2013 - 01:14.

Ogopogo #4 Posted May 18 2013 - 01:14

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 19254 battles
  • [NTR] NTR
A TL:DR version from Trent on the EU forums.

Tl;dr version:

1. Gun accuracy mechanics are changed. As far as I can tell, less shots landing on the edges on the aiming circle, less landing in the centre, more everywhere else, SPGs not affected - I think the description of changes to mechanics is a little bit inconsistent with description of their effect, but me being too stupid to understand what has been written is also a strong possibility here.

2. HEAT shells nerfed: spaced armour more affective against them.

3. Camo net and camo pattern effectiveness will not depend on the base camo, only on a tank class (TDs specifically mentioned as buffed), which means camo buff for vehicles with negligible base camo value.

4. 50% XP buff for TDs, 100% XP buff for SPGs (not sure if it affects XP overall or only stuff like damage/assisted XP, my educated guess would be the latter).

5. XP and credits bonus for damage done to enemies tracked by you.

Darth_Cheney #5 Posted May 18 2013 - 01:16

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 11711 battles
  • [SIMP] SIMP

View PostJagdzeit, on May 18 2013 - 01:12, said:

arty is getting the nerfbat. all other news irrevelant.

OH WAIT CRAP.

oh, fantastic. theyre actually buffing them. more XP per battle.

You need to do some reading.

Daigensui #6 Posted May 18 2013 - 01:18

Major

• Wiki Staff
  • 20184 battles
  • [KANCO] KANCO
So basically, if engagement distances are increased, accuracy will be important.....

Interesting, very interesting.

PTwr #7 Posted May 18 2013 - 01:18

Major

• Players
  • 28174 battles
  • [4FREE] 4FREE

5. XP and credits bonus for damage done to enemies tracked by you.
That is a very huge buff to all stock tanks out there.

Hallivolve #8 Posted May 18 2013 - 01:20

Major

• Players
  • 13227 battles
  • [-DTOM] -DTOM
This looks good! My Hellcat and T49 will enjoy the extra XP.

SHISHKABOB #9 Posted May 18 2013 - 01:20

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 8512 battles
I'm really confused by how they're describing the changes to accuracy, but I'm going to throw that into the category of bad translation and just hope that their "final words" on the subject are truthful: an "increase in the value of player skill."

Daigensui #10 Posted May 18 2013 - 01:23

Major

• Wiki Staff
  • 20184 battles
  • [KANCO] KANCO

View PostSHISHKABOB, on May 18 2013 - 01:20, said:

I'm really confused by how they're describing the changes to accuracy, but I'm going to throw that into the category of bad translation and just hope that their "final words" on the subject are truthful: an "increase in the value of player skill."

1. Less shots will fall at the edge of the circle.
2. Within the circle, there is even distribution as opposed to the normal/Gaussian distribution used currently.

PTwr #11 Posted May 18 2013 - 01:24

Major

• Players
  • 28174 battles
  • [4FREE] 4FREE

RNG will hate you less I guess, but it will never love you anyway.

SHISHKABOB #12 Posted May 18 2013 - 01:24

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 8512 battles

View PostDaigensui, on May 18 2013 - 01:23, said:

1. Less shots will fall at the edge of the circle.
2. Within the circle, there is even distribution as opposed to the normal/Gaussian distribution used currently.

That sounds sort of contradictory to: "It means that the accuracy of all guns will greatly increase."

If the distribution is even across the whole circle, then doesn't that make it MORE random?

Daigensui #13 Posted May 18 2013 - 01:27

Major

• Wiki Staff
  • 20184 battles
  • [KANCO] KANCO

View PostSHISHKABOB, on May 18 2013 - 01:24, said:

That sounds sort of contradictory to: "It means that the accuracy of all guns will greatly increase."

If the distribution is even across the whole circle, then doesn't that make it MORE random?

You know those annoying "flying out of the circle" shots? Those are virtually wiped out. However, within the circle itself there will be more randomness mixed in. This means that a person needs to be skilled in order to continuously hit weak spots.

Basically, pure RNG screwing will be reduced, but RNG can still screw you if you're not up to the task.

PTwr #14 Posted May 18 2013 - 01:29

Major

• Players
  • 28174 battles
  • [4FREE] 4FREE

View PostSHISHKABOB, on May 18 2013 - 01:24, said:

It is not contradiction when you use Gaussian (normal) distribution.
Basically, there is higher chance for shell to hit center than halfway to center, the higher value function gets for center and lower for border (which is said to happen in 8.6), the higher chance you get to hit the center and lower for border.

Edited by PTwr, May 18 2013 - 01:30.

SHISHKABOB #15 Posted May 18 2013 - 01:29

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 8512 battles

View PostDaigensui, on May 18 2013 - 01:27, said:

You know those annoying "flying out of the circle" shots? Those are virtually wiped out. However, within the circle itself there will be more randomness mixed in. This means that a person needs to be skilled in order to continuously hit weak spots.

Basically, pure RNG screwing will be reduced, but RNG can still screw you if you're not up to the task.

OK forgive me but that doesn't make sense. Aiming circles are pretty big. If they wanted player skill to be more important, then they'd reduce the size of the aiming circle, or they'd make it more likely for the shell to go straight to the center of the aiming circle.

Making the shell go anywhere in the circle with equal chances (other than the edge) sounds a lot more random than "highest probability is in the center, as you go further out, less chance". I.e. a Gaussian distribution.

CAMN #16 Posted May 18 2013 - 01:30

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 15362 battles
  • [HARM] HARM
Posted Image

DracoArgentum #17 Posted May 18 2013 - 01:31

Major

• Players
  • 12957 battles
  • [IOC] IOC

I believe the even distribution is just referring to where the shots that land outside the circle go. They are saying that ATM they land at the edge of the circle causing a spike there. Now they won't do that.

Ogopogo #18 Posted May 18 2013 - 01:32

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 19254 battles
  • [NTR] NTR
Perhaps this will help, but on this same note, I believe they have mixed the 1.3 and 2 up for the sigma values. Increasing a sigma value lowers how centered the values are. They probably meant to say they lowered the sigma value to 1.3.

Made a mistake.

Edited by Ogopogo, May 18 2013 - 01:38.

PTwr #19 Posted May 18 2013 - 01:32

Major

• Players
  • 28174 battles
  • [4FREE] 4FREE

View PostSHISHKABOB, on May 18 2013 - 01:29, said:

OK forgive me but that doesn't make sense. Aiming circles are pretty big. If they wanted player skill to be more important, then they'd reduce the size of the aiming circle, or they'd make it more likely for the shell to go straight to the center of the aiming circle.

Making the shell go anywhere in the circle with equal chances (other than the edge) sounds a lot more random than "highest probability is in the center, as you go further out, less chance". I.e. a Gaussian distribution.
Nope.
Smaller circle = noobs on auto aim will hit more often.
Bigger circle = players that actually aim before squeezing trigger will be laughing as auto aimed shells fly all over the place.

Lower chance for shell to hit border (from ~20% to ~5%, so four times lower) makes aiming much more rewarding.

SHISHKABOB #20 Posted May 18 2013 - 01:32

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 8512 battles
"We have also decided that the spike on the edge of distribution is no longer required, so the landing points for shells will be distributed equally from the center to the edge of the aiming circle. This means that overall there will be much fewer shots landing directly on the limit of the aiming circle. In other words, the shots will be more evenly distributed throughout the aiming circle."

This makes no sense, did they mean "center"? I had no idea there was a spike in the probability to hit the edge of the aiming circle.

View PostPTwr, on May 18 2013 - 01:29, said:

It is not contradiction when you use Gaussian (normal) distribution.
Basically, there is higher chance for shell to hit center than halfway to center, the higher value function gets for center and lower for border (which is said to happen in 8.6), the higher chance you get to hit the center and lower for border.

"the landing points for shells will be distributed equally from the center to the edge of the aiming circle."

That's totally not what a Gaussian distribution is.