Why does everyone complain about the Tiger I?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
238 replies to this topic

Kristine #41 Posted Jan 01 2011 - 15:01

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 25170 battles
7 reasons:

1: VK3601H out performs this tank by a mile away. A VK3601H!!!
2: Zero durability on armour. Unlike the VK3601H which, with luck, bounces everything.
3: Insane module damage.
4: Low damage / penetration output compared to IS.
5: Slow as a brick while the russian counter part, the IS, runs like a ferrari with nitro.
6: Even tier 3 tanks can easily penetrate it from any angle.
7: Broken gun mantle.

There are more reasons which i'm not going to list. But those 7 reasons are the most obvious.

Vahal #42 Posted Jan 01 2011 - 18:26

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
7: broken turret  :Smile_honoring:

vince_grant #43 Posted Jan 01 2011 - 18:47

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
I dont know what people are doing wrong with these tanks, but Tiger and Tiger II are among the best in their classes. The IS was such a horrible tank, even with the best 122mm. Shell cost was terrible when it could bounce on everything from Pz4/T-34's, VK36's and Tigers. And accuracy/aimtime was really really bad too. And the tank had so many module damage and crew death, that i cursed this tank

The T29 is a good tank, and imo beats the Tiger. It has less agility, but better topspeed (which it can achieve on flat straights), the tank it self is bigger, but turret has good armor and traverse, and the gun is a chapter of its own. Its got pretty much all the good stuff from both long 88 and IS's 122mm; 88's penetration/aimtime, little bit less accuracy, although still better than 122mm, and the huge damage of 122mm.

Buff both tigers top speed and they are fine..

Hethwill_Khan #44 Posted Jan 01 2011 - 23:09

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View Postvince_grant, on Jan 01 2011 - 18:47, said:

I dont know what people are doing wrong with these tanks...

Seconded. But then not every tank suits everyone, that's why we have 3 trees already.

AshanTyr #45 Posted Jan 01 2011 - 23:33

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
The Problem is that the Tiger is, as noted before, indeed some kind of support tank. Without some tanks in front of it to light up the enemies it is serious dead meat.
The T29 can at least find a nice hull down position and play bunker, unless there is artillery firing.
And the IS can do what it always does and play battlebrawler till it gets flanked.

That means that without support the Tiger is the most screwed Tier7 tank, but if there is support it does quite well.

the_moidart #46 Posted Jan 02 2011 - 03:13

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 30486 battles
While I recognize that the Tiger I is inferior in every way to the T29 besides rear armor thickness, only two things bug me.

1. Maximum gun depression. The Tiger continues the VK3601H's tradition of inferior gun depression compared to American tanks. But that's probably historical, or my imagination, and isn't too much of a problem.

What really bugs me is...
2. Illogical engine criticals. Both before and since the update, my Tiger has been on the recieving end of some of the most rediculous engine crits ever seen. Before the update, almost every single time my Tiger's glacis plate was hit, it produced critical engine damage, although strangely enough, rarely a fire.
This has not been totally fixed since the recent updates. While I have taken less engine crits from glacis hits, my most recent game with the Tiger had a particularly egregious example of an illogical engine crit:

In a city map, a Tiger II shot my exposed left front corner, which was diagonally protruding from cover, relative to the Tiger II's position. This shot to my exposed track and a bit of hull produced critical damage to my engine, located completely out of the line of fire.

That's why I don't like the Tiger.

Ajatcho #47 Posted Jan 02 2011 - 07:23

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 17523 battles
well first of all recalling history the Tiger has lots of mechanical problem and its design to engage long rage target enemy that  is the main factor why the Tiger has lots of damage modules

vince_grant #48 Posted Jan 02 2011 - 07:50

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View PostAjatcho, on Jan 02 2011 - 07:23, said:

well first of all recalling history the Tiger has lots of mechanical problem and its design to engage long rage target enemy that  is the main factor why the Tiger has lots of damage modules

History hardly have anything to do with game mechanics.

leofwine #49 Posted Jan 02 2011 - 13:49

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View PostNorbulk315, on Jan 02 2011 - 07:00, said:

the Tiger has a vastly superior gun to the IS.

Not so sure on that. My 8.8cm L/71 does a lot of 'bounces' on plate at 90º (flat on). The damage is also laughable. Whilst my PzIII gets 1-hit killed by an IS's 122mm, the 8.8cm leaves it on 33% health - quite a difference. Whilst the reload time on the L/71 is faster, it has no damage advantage over the previous cannon, the 8.8cm L/54, whilst it does have a boost in penetration. It should have higher damage, as, simply, longer barrel = larger muzzle velocity = harder impact.

The vaunted 'accuracy' of the 8.8cm that is paraded around is a bit of a misnomer as well. I took my Tiger out for a spin last night and fired at max range at another Tiger who was sat sit completely still in the open. I was static also. My gunner is at 100% & I always let the reticule go to its 'smallest' point when sniping. Out of the four shells I fired, before he blinked out of sight, only 1 hit. That's just one of many occasions where my shells are not going near their target. Even at close ranges, I am finding my shells, with the reticule at its tightest, wander off in to the wild blue yonder instead of hitting targets. Something up with the 'supposed' German accuracy?

Long 8.8 needs some tinkering to either make it pin-point accurate (it could quite happily hit and knock out enemy tanks at over 2000m RL) or to increase it's damage, but at the moment, it is in no way superior to the IS's armament at range in my view.

As far as saying the Tiger is a support tank, that concerns me. The tank should be capable when solo, but excel when supporting others. Making it out to solely be played in support of other tanks shows it has an inherent weakness compared to its tier-mates.

ABC_Przyrody #50 Posted Jan 02 2011 - 14:40

Private

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
Well, imo VK3601 is far superior compared to Tiger.

Vahal #51 Posted Jan 02 2011 - 15:00

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
Tiger is only superior in side armor (60mm is a quite light), HP (almost double) and 88L71 ability. Give the VK36 88L71 ability or some equivalent and Tiger will be free xp avoided.

Lito #52 Posted Jan 02 2011 - 18:50

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
Agree to all previous 4 posts.

Just played my Tiger, got knocked out again, guess who - vk3601, because my damn brick cant deflect a damn shot.
Im playin without premium and if im in situation where my teammates spread out im dead and lose at least 2k credits each match. Shells arent so pricy, but when you miss shot after shot, and bounce a vk3601, thats it then...

Vahal #53 Posted Jan 03 2011 - 03:49

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
Be happy that will become worse with KT and horrid with VK45... Don't expect any improvment with Maus to  :lol:

sharpeh #54 Posted Jan 03 2011 - 03:56

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 1467 battles

View PostVahal, on Jan 03 2011 - 03:49, said:

Be happy that will become worse with KT and horrid with VK45... Don't expect any improvment with Maus to  :lol:

Actually the KT is loads better, the VK45 is 'meh' better.

Vahal #55 Posted Jan 03 2011 - 04:40

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
With KT you can be easily instaraped, due to the higher tier opponents and huuuuuuge weakspots (the entire turret). The only thing worthy on VK45 is 128L55 gun (well like the only thing worthy on tiger is 88L71 gun)

sharpeh #56 Posted Jan 03 2011 - 04:48

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 1467 battles

View PostVahal, on Jan 03 2011 - 04:40, said:

With KT you can be easily instaraped, due to the higher tier opponents and huuuuuuge weakspots (the entire turret). The only thing worthy on VK45 is 128L55 gun (well like the only thing worthy on tiger is 88L71 gun)

However true these may be. Fact of the matter is your going from a tiger. The Vk45's tradeoff of engine power (which is still quite fast in accel.) for armor is actually quite nice imo. KT is still my favorite tank though.

Vahal #57 Posted Jan 03 2011 - 07:39

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
Oh, I love my KT, but I play it more carefully than before. To live happy, live hidden, that the (King) Tiger leitmotiv

Daark #58 Posted Jan 03 2011 - 08:12

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View Postthe_moidart, on Jan 02 2011 - 03:13, said:

While I recognize that the Tiger I is inferior in every way to the T29 besides rear armor thickness, only two things bug me.

1. Maximum gun depression. The Tiger continues the VK3601H's tradition of inferior gun depression compared to American tanks. But that's probably historical, or my imagination, and isn't too much of a problem.

What really bugs me is...
2. Illogical engine criticals. Both before and since the update, my Tiger has been on the recieving end of some of the most rediculous engine crits ever seen. Before the update, almost every single time my Tiger's glacis plate was hit, it produced critical engine damage, although strangely enough, rarely a fire.
This has not been totally fixed since the recent updates. While I have taken less engine crits from glacis hits, my most recent game with the Tiger had a particularly egregious example of an illogical engine crit:

In a city map, a Tiger II shot my exposed left front corner, which was diagonally protruding from cover, relative to the Tiger II's position. This shot to my exposed track and a bit of hull produced critical damage to my engine, located completely out of the line of fire.

That's why I don't like the Tiger.

I think this is because a crit engine hit is not just the engine itself but also gearbox/transmission etc. At least this would explain it since german tanks (or at least most of them) had the drive gear and at least parts of the transmission in the front (as it was the theory that tracks should be laid before the tank so that it can roll on them instead of being pulled behind under it).

I think that at least explains how a frontal hit can lead to a motor crit.

NTRabbit #59 Posted Jan 03 2011 - 08:16

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 16135 battles
I'm quite fond of my Tiger, but only with the long 88.

Sure, it's not quite as good as the T29, but it will crush any IS with relative ease. It can take a beating, it can hand out a beating, the speed really isn't that bad, and I'm yet to experience any of this crippling module damage everyone else is talking about - my Jagpanther cops about four times the amount of module damage as my Tiger.

The tank vastly outdamages - in realistic terms, not a nonsense paper argument - the rather pathetic guns the IS has, and the long 88 is tremendously accurate out to high ranges, the only more accurate weapon I currently have being the 7.5cm L/70 in my elite Panzer IV.

enderoflives #60 Posted Jan 04 2011 - 22:47

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 4078 battles
I agree completely with the OP, Tiger 1 gets a bad rep because of some flaws. But overall this tank is one of my favorites, fully upgraded I had 0 problems 1v1 IS or T29 but you have to know the thank your fighting and the tank your in. I personally think the heavy criticism comes from this romance of the German tanks of WWII, Everyone has this epic image of them in their head and the tank in game cannot live up to this.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users