TheHolyRoller's KV-4 Guide

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
21 replies to this topic

ThePriestofSyrinx #1 Posted May 27 2013 - 20:24

Captain

• Players
  • 8427 battles
Hello all, this will be my 3rd guide on a tank. Since this tank is not used much an is seemingly the underdog of the Soviet Tech Trees, I thought the KV-4 would be a great tank to type a little guide on.

Overview

You guys all know the Soviet tanks. They are among the best in the game and I would not be surprised at all if most of them are considered the best in the game. Well, the heavy line of Soviet tanks actually breaks into two other lines once you have reached the KV-1 at Tier V. The KV-1 is a really fun tank to play and breaks into two other tanks. One is the KV-1S and the other is the T-150. Both are great, but the 1S has an edge over the T-150 for it gets the 122mm D-2-5T while the T-150 gets the 107mm ZiS-6. This will most likely get the attention of the player and have them favor the 1S over the T-150. Well, if you choose to go to the T-150, you will end up at the KV-4 instead of the IS-3 at Tier VIII.

Why is the KV-4 an underdog? Well, alot of people see it as an inferior tank to the IS-3, and when I say inferior, I mean very inferior. Well, that isn't the case. The IS-3 is faster, smaller and has the amazing 122mm BL-9 gun. It also has great sloping armor at the front, spaced armor at the side and a turret that will almost always bounce shots from all sides. The KV-4, though, is best described as the KV-5 with a huge turret and without the two turrets at the front. This is what it kind of is, except it gets a gun selection and has to be upgraded in order to perform at its maximum.

Offensive Capability (Gun, Speed, Size)

The KV-4 can perform as offensively as the IS-3. Of course, you have to upgrade it first. Stock, this thing will not be a great thing to be running into battle with. God willingly you already unlocked the 122mm guns from the KV-3 because you will have to go through an excruciating grind to allow the KV-4-5 turret, the 107mm ZiS-24 and the ST-1 to be researched. If you do not have the 122mm guns, you will have to make due with the 107mm ZiS-6, not ideal for fighting tanks Tier VIII and above. Not even the 122mm guns are that great. They only do 175mm of penetration so you will have to be careful while aiming. This can be difficult because they are not the most accurate guns. Now, the KV-4 becomes the KV-4 with the unlocking of the 107mm ZiS-24 in which will allow you to damage even Tier X tanks. Now, the KV-4 is not extremely fast nor is it the smallest tank. The KV-4 is hard to hide, so moving into an area covered in enemy tanks may be hard to do effectively. Its slow speed makes it a primary target for SPGs and, because of its extremely large size, it can be hit with ease.

When facing enemy tanks while mounting the 107mm ZiS-24, you basically have to take a few things into effect. These things can usually be narrowed down by determining its tier, nation and class. For example, a German Tier X Heavy Tank is most likely going to be heavily armored. The ZiS-24 cannot easily get through it. This is when you would call for help and try and be able to get around the tank. Now, an enemy French Tier X Heavy Tank is much lighter armored and can be damaged by the ZiS-24. This is when you would engage that enemy. Another thing you must take into effect is the slope of the tank. Do not shoot at the sloping hull of an enemy tank if you know it is somewhat heavily armored because you will only waste a shot. Try to aim for weak spots, like the commanders hatch or the lower glacis. You have to know your weak spots in case you ever do come upon a tank that you think will bounce a shot or your gun just will not penetrate. This will improve your performance in a match and will also allow you to use the KV-4 to its full potential.

The 107mm ZiS-24 can penetrate 227mm of armor so you will find yourself damaging many tanks. It is also more accurate than the 122mm BL-9 gun. This gun can perform great at a distance... as long as you wait for the 3.4 second aiming time. Yea, it has a long aiming time so being stationary at a range is your best bet to ensure that your reticle is fully compressed. Since the gun's accuracy is somewhat decent (.38), you will be able to hit enemies pretty well at a range.

Defensive Capabilities (Armor, Speed, Maneuverability, Size)

The KV-4 is like an armored box, much like the Maus and the E-100. It is heavily armored all around, except for the rear of the chassis. It has 180mm of hull and front turret armor. The hull armor is on a slight slope, but that slightly sloped area is not that big. The largest part of the frontal hull is the lower plate, which is definitely a weak point and is not nearly as sloped. That is what you will want to hide. The turret front is thickly armored and has a decent gun mantlet, which will allow you to expose your turret while maintaining some feeling of safety... Anyway, the rear of the turret and chassis are essentially flat but are 150mm thick, very effective. If an enemy hits your tracks in the side, the tracks will act as spaced armor and will most likely prevent that shell from harming you. The turret, though, is only slightly sloped at the side and will probably not bounce a shot. The rears of the chassis and turret? Well, the turret has 140mm of armor and is flat, so any gun able to penetrate 140mm will go through it while the chassis has only 90mm of armor that is slightly rounded.

Now that we are done with the armor, let us talk about the speed and maneuverability. The KV-4 has a 1,200 horsepower engine that yields a speed of 30 km/h. Now, it weighs over 100 tons but is accelerates surprisingly quick. It usually will hit that 30 km/h without needing some sort of hill. The problem is that is only turns at 18 degrees a second. It cannot take quick turns and will be defenseless to someone doing the circle of death around it. Even the turret traverse is 20 degrees a second, very slow. You must be aware of enemy flankers and fast tanks because they will cause you a lot of trouble.

When out in the open, this thing is a prime target for SPGs. The KV-4 is huge, so it isn't that hard to hit and is also not very fast. SPGs will just make you a credit farm. You must take cover with SPGs in a match. Of course, again, the KV-4's ridiculous size will make it hard to find an ideal place for cover so you will probably want to know your maps prior to playing it. Its size, though, is also a pro. Since it is big, you can possibly hide your hull behind an object or even a tank and only have your turret exposed, significantly reducing the chance of an enemy hitting your weak point, You will also be able to poke over most friendly tanks while poking our to shoot at others. Your tanks will most likely not get in the way of your shots anymore.

Weak Spots

The KV-4 is huge but does not have many weak spots. There are two that I have seen so far. The KV-4 is pretty damn large. You cannot miss it and I would not be surprised if an enemy could hit it from afar. That turret is something you cannot conceal unless your turret is concealed. The second weak spot is the usual lower glacis. It is not sloped as well as the front and it isn't as thick. Try to hide that area behind an object to ensure you have the least amount of weak points exposed as possible.

Comparison to the IS-3

Almost everyone prefers the IS-3 over the KV-4. Well, the IS-4 does have better speed, is smaller and has better maneuverability. Already it is beating the KV-4. Well, it has a gun that performs just as well as the KV-4's top gun so they are even there. The only thing that the KV-4 has over the IS-3 is better armor. Though the ZiS-24 does perform better in more categories than the BL-9 but not by much. The BL-9 also does much more damage than the ZiS-24. The KV-4 is not superior the IS-3 but that does not mean that the KV-4 is not a good tank. The KV-4 can take shots much better than the IS-3. 120mm vs 180mm is a huge difference. The IS-3 may have better sloping armor but it can be penetrated easily if someone knows where to shoot.

Of course, the IS-3 can beat the KV-4 in a test of speed and maneuverability. The KV-4 will also lose to the IS-3 in a test of damage output per shot. The IS-3 will also beat the KV-4 in terms of stealth and being able to take cover.

With all of this said, the IS-3 is superior to the KV-4 in terms of stats but the KV-4 can still be a force on the battlefield and can very much destroy and IS-3 one on one if given to the right person.

Research

Here I will tell you most efficient steps to fully upgrading the KV-4. This is if you already have the 122mm guns unlocked.

First you want to upgrade the suspension. The suspension will allow you to mount any equipment and modules. The suspension does cost 15,200 XP and 33,600 credits but then you won't have to worry about unlocking a module and not being able to use it.

Second, unlock the 107mm ZiS-24. It does cost 44,000 XP and 180,000 credits but it will make grinding the XP for the rest of the modules and the ST-1 much easier. You will not have to deal with an inaccurate, low penetrating gun anymore.

Third, the engine. Why the engine so late? Well, the stock engine does give 1,000 horsepower. Does it make you go 30 km/h? No but it will get you to around 26 km/h. It isn't something that is really needed before the other modules. This engine will run you 27,300 XP and 87,500 credits.

Fourth, the turret. Yea. The KV-4-5 turret is essentially the same turret as the stock KV-4 turret except it is much bigger. Why do you want this turret then? It allows for a faster reload time. This is very important in order to make this tank reach its full potential. This turret will run you 14,800 XP and 31,000 credits.

So, let us see grand totals.
Spoiler                     
So, you can see that you need over 100,000 XP to fully upgrade this thing and over a quarter of a million credits to do the same. It is expensive and the grind is quite excruciating but it is fully worth it in the end.

Equipment

My configuration is as follows:

- Large Caliber Gun Rammer. This is so the 107mm fires as fast as possible and I can increase DPM as much as possible. Gun rammers are also an essential.

- Camouflage Net. This is so this huge monument can stay stealthy while stationary. This thing is easily spotted so you do not want to be standing still in a defensive location and then be spotted. It only costs 100,000 credits so it's not too hard to equip.

- Enhanced Gun Laying Drive. This you must have. A 3.4 second aiming time is ridiculously high. You need this to drop it.

Now, you can also equip the Improved Ventilation Class 3 but that will run you 600,000 credits and really will not be as effective as the 3 things above.

Another thing you can think about equipping is the Coated Optics piece. The view range of the KV-4 is only 350 Meters so increasing this will greatly improve your performance. Again, the three above probably give you the best performance of the tank. It is your choice as to what you want to equip.

Note that the Gun Laying Drive, Gun Rammer, Coated Optics and Improved Ventilation are complex equipment and will cost 10 Gold each to remove.

How to Play It

Now to conclude this guide. The best way to play the KV-4 is as a support vehicle. It is heavily armored and can make some people panic with its size and the size of the 107mm ZiS-24. If your friendly tanks can help cover your, you can easily move up a line and start flushing the enemies out. Of course, you cannot be in an area where you are exposed to SPGs because they will make mince meat out of you. Always know if there are enemy SPGs on the enemy team or not so that you know if you can go down an open line or if you have to go down a line where there is cover or something that prevents SPGs from reaching you. If a friendly tank is being damaged severely, hop in front of him to give him cover to get away. You will be able to take the hits and will allow you ally to get away. If you see a scout or a tank charging your base, get in front of him. 100 tons will stop everything except the KV-5, Maus, E-100 and Panzer Jager E-100. You do not have many things to be afraid of crashing into you. They will do more harm to themselves than they will to you. This tank performs best in cities though. Urban areas will give this tank cover from SPGs and will prevent the enemies from easily flanking you. You will be able to pick them off from around corners and down streets.

Overall, you will have tons of fun in this tank. Enemies will have a tough time knocking you out and you will not have that hard of a time knocking enemies out. Just play this tank right and you will see how little difference there is between the KV-4 and IS-3.

Good luck out there and happy hunting! Thank you for reading my guide on the KV-4!

- TheHolyRoller :honoring:

Edited by TheHolyRoller, Jun 03 2013 - 04:32.

BountyHunter177 #2 Posted May 27 2013 - 20:27

Major

• Players
  • 19044 battles
  • [BUNS] BUNS

ThePriestofSyrinx #3 Posted May 27 2013 - 20:29

Captain

• Players
  • 8427 battles

View PostBountyHunter177, on May 27 2013 - 20:27, said:

Way to show me I wasted 20 minutes...  :teethhappy:  :facepalm:

BountyHunter177 #4 Posted May 27 2013 - 20:30

Major

• Players
  • 19044 battles
  • [BUNS] BUNS

View PostTheHolyRoller, on May 27 2013 - 20:29, said:

Way to show me I wasted 20 minutes...  :teethhappy:  :facepalm:

:trollface:

Hey, you could look at it as an additional option.

ThePriestofSyrinx #5 Posted May 27 2013 - 20:32

Captain

• Players
  • 8427 battles

View PostBountyHunter177, on May 27 2013 - 20:30, said:

Hey, you could look at it as an additional option.

I guess you can say that  :teethhappy:

Dead_Baron #6 Posted May 27 2013 - 20:33

Captain

• Players
  • 34666 battles

This is when you would call for help and try and be able to get around the tank.

We're in a KV-4 remember :) Flanking ain't easy!

I hate the ZiS-24, it seems like I had more success with the derp.

It might well be the red-headed stepchild of the Russian heavy line but once I unlock the ST-I the KV-4 will be sold and I'll be taking a break from the line.

ThePriestofSyrinx #7 Posted May 27 2013 - 20:34

Captain

• Players
  • 8427 battles

View PostDead_Baron, on May 27 2013 - 20:33, said:

We're in a KV-4 remember :) Flanking ain't easy!

I hate the ZiS-24, it seems like I had more success with the derp.

It might well be the red-headed stepchild of the Russian heavy line but once I unlock the ST-I the KV-4 will be sold and I'll be taking a break from the line.
Not like do circles but just maybe roll past the enemy to hits its side while it's distracted by friendlies

Lert #8 Posted May 27 2013 - 20:38

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 44728 battles
A few things I will dispute.

- The miniturret on top of the upgraded turret is not actually weaker than the main turret itself. It still boasts 180mm frontal armor, slightly curved.
- This tank can lead a push if in a spot to do so, no need to play it as a support tank. Its main purpose is to get the everliving crap beat out of it, not to pick off targets at range and never get shot at.
- I personally play it very aggressively rather than a support tank, and seem to have decent success in it:

Posted Image

My own tips for KV-4 are:

- Play it like you would a german heavy. It's slow, thick, square. It's an armored brick. Play it as such. Always keep your angles in mind.
- Instead of Rammer, net, GLD consider Rammer, GLD, Vents or my setup: Rammer, Vertstab, Vents. Vertstab also helps with the aiming time since the reticle will start out 20% smaller. Camonet isn't really something I'd recommend since KV-4 shouldn't be hiding, it should be leading the charge.

HOTA_CHATON #9 Posted May 27 2013 - 20:59

Major

• Players
  • 13319 battles
  • [GOLB] GOLB
Sweet Lert, thanks for the equipping tips.

WhiskeyJack_ #10 Posted May 27 2013 - 21:40

Sergeant

• Players
  • 15890 battles
  • [ZJJN] ZJJN
I'll have to hugely disagree with your choice of camouflage net as well. 25% of nothing is still nothing, it would be much more benefitial to run GLD/Vert Stab/Rammer in this tank. Getting that aim time down is KEY and will help in peak-a-boom and pushing situations. It's not meant to be a sniping tank, it's mean to be a bully.

An advantage it has over the IS-3 is you can angle your own armor, knowing how the other guy is aiming at you and throwing 50+ degree angles at him you can troll bounce pretty hard if you know what you're doing in this.

edit: ninja'd by Lert.

Edited by stealth215, May 27 2013 - 21:45.

pepe_trueno #11 Posted May 27 2013 - 23:39

Major

• Players
  • 41596 battles
i enjoy driving it but for some unknown reason my kv-4 has been the victim of some evil voodoo and cant get a win, my current win rate is beyondbotlike  :teethhappy:,  granted my performance is not exactly awesome and the fact i started with 75% crew, no modules and equipment is not helping but come on.

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/5447/shot415.jpg

as said before i like the tank and is a true monster when sidescraping but the moment one cant hide that gigantic lower glacis.. well not even a 45° angle seem to stop people to keep penning it  :angry:  

wish the lower glacis had a bit more of armor specialy now that guns keep getting more and more pen.

Edited by pepe_trueno, May 27 2013 - 23:40.

Deathstar_Commander #12 Posted Jun 01 2013 - 09:46

Major

• Players
  • 51537 battles
  • [YODA] YODA
Kv4 will beat a is3 in a 1 on 1 fight.. But thats not all what a tank is about.   But I dont think people give credit to how good the kv4 armor is. In CQB or at a distant a good kv4 driver will always make you question  what part of the tank you should shoot. An Is3 driver can't do that to near as effectively as the kv4.  And while I do give the edge to the IS3 in the gun department because Alpha is important in this game, its only slightly because the long 107 does have better ROF and accuracy. It has more pen but not by much. So the Kv4 does have a great gun.

Mobility is a no brainer for the is3. But alot of times that is wasted potential for the IS3 is often used in bog downed peekaboom fights. Which the kv4 is ultimately better in because of its superior side scraping and can handle itself better if swarmed.

You ask me the kv4 is better for its roll of brawling in city/peekabooming/sniping. But the IS3 is a better flex tank due to its speed.

alex08060 #13 Posted Jun 03 2013 - 02:17

Major

• Players
  • 6350 battles
  • [_UP_] _UP_
I pretty much unlock every modules on the KV 3 now I need to grind 54k xp for this tank.  :playing:

amaROenuZ #14 Posted Jun 03 2013 - 04:14

Major

• Players
  • 16660 battles
The KV-4 second turret is not a weak spot. It is as heavily armored as the main turret. This is a piece of misinformation that's been rolling around the forums for months.

Posted Image

This is a screenshot of the KV-4's collision model, with the 180mm armored surfaces highlighted. As you can see, the KV-4's second turret is not a weakspot.

Please edit your post to reflect that HolyRoller.

ThePriestofSyrinx #15 Posted Jun 03 2013 - 04:33

Captain

• Players
  • 8427 battles

View PostamaROenuZ, on Jun 03 2013 - 04:14, said:

The KV-4 second turret is not a weak spot. It is as heavily armored as the main turret. This is a piece of misinformation that's been rolling around the forums for months.

Posted Image

This is a screenshot of the KV-4's collision model, with the 180mm armored surfaces highlighted. As you can see, the KV-4's second turret is not a weakspot.

Please edit your post to reflect that HolyRoller.
Fixed

amaROenuZ #16 Posted Jun 03 2013 - 04:47

Major

• Players
  • 16660 battles
Good. Your swift correction earns you a brownie point.

Mhantrax #17 Posted Jun 03 2013 - 15:51

Sergeant

• Players
  • 11090 battles
I got the KV 3 as my first tier 7 tank months and months ago, but never went KV-4 because of the guide I had written about it being a heavily armored sniper bunker, with the main reason for that argument being that small turret.  So yeah, guess I should have just played it.  I love the KV-3 more than any other tank, the bullying, the angling, the straight armored brickness of it all, as Lert says.  I have become extremely proficient with the KV-3 and only wished I had more pen because you can't alway be up in their jocks and trying to pen tier 8-9 tanks in the front with a porr aiming 175 pen gun it just not working out, even if I know where to aim.

KV-4 here I come!

Gumpin #18 Posted Jun 16 2013 - 23:45

Private

• Players
  • 11409 battles
The wiki lists the mini turret as a weakspot. That's the problem.

There is no weakspot. I just had a match where 2 ind panzers shot at my mini turret all match. 4800 damage recieved. They were skilled players too.

The only two shots that penned was when I looked straight at them to fire my own gun.

In reality the only real "weakspot" on the mini turret. Is where that mini gun is and there's a gap in the armor for it to traverse up and down. That tiny tiny little slot. That's it. Otherwise its exactly like the rest of the turret, and I love seeing guns aiming upward to shoot at it instead of shooting through my turret cheeks,

Mhantrax #19 Posted Jun 17 2013 - 16:09

Sergeant

• Players
  • 11090 battles
I have played the KV-4, used 44k free exp for the gun because that was so worth it.  Trust me on that one!

Anyway, I have everything but the last engine (2k away), and I have to say, I would say the cupola on the starting turret definitely feels like a weak spot, but the minute I got the second turret, I very rarely get penned in that cupola.  It seems tough as heck.

The sidescraping ability of this thing is unbelievable, by the way.  I have never seen anything like it before.  The only issue is that I frequently end up holding up a corner or flank for quite a while against 2-5 tanks, holding them back, but having to depend on my teammates to actually win the match.  Frequently they are awful...

This is the same with my T29.  You can take up an amazingly perfect position and hold off a gret number of tanks, doing damage all the while, yet you look up 5 minutes later and you are the only one left, with 8 tanks bearing down on you.

And with the T29 and KV-4, nobody ever came to use your amazing survivability to the team's benefit.  They just go die like lemmings and leave you hanging.  If people had any inkling of how valuable a stout positon holder and damage-soaker-upper is, they would flock to suport them.

mopman1964 #20 Posted Aug 19 2013 - 01:25

Private

• Players
  • 7949 battles
You hit the nail on the head.  The thing of it is this game (WOT) requires teamwork and in very few games do you find it.  Try and tell team mates something and you get laughed at.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users