Scouting tips

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

stepimus #1 Posted Jun 08 2013 - 01:48

Private

• Players
  • 0 battles
i'm having a problem with scouting. right now i have a Luchs and i can't seem to find out how to scout. like where do you scout? at the front lines and when? and how do you scout without getting killed?

CancelXmas #2 Posted Jun 09 2013 - 14:44

Private

• Players
  • 0 battles
Watch the other scouts; the ones that are still alive when the match is 7 on 9. When you figure it out teach me~~

gl/hf

Vandal71 #3 Posted Jun 09 2013 - 19:22

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles
Im not the best scout, but I will tell you what works for me.
1 dont rush to soon
2 Spot with support. If the reds want to shoot you let the rest of your team make them pay.
3 After everyone is engaged then go hunt arty.
4 Know if your a pasive or active scout.
5 Understand that you will die somtimes no matter if you follow all the above tips.
Sorry I cant help more.

P.S. Your a support role! if theres noone to shoot for you then its not scouting.
Arty wont shoot if thay dont realise your scouting, and heavys cant shoot threw cover so stick close if your scouting for them.

SugarBombs #4 Posted Jun 11 2013 - 01:03

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles
Vandal71 stated some great tips.

There are only a few maps where early scouting is advantageous. Mountain Pass on the north side at E4 gives great early shots. Steppes at E7 either side is a good passive area with hard cover. However, if you have a decent team, when you early scout and light up all the tanks your team can determine which flank will need reinforced.

Keep in mind, because you are a scout does not mean you need to light up tanks all the time. Getting lights on an isolated group of tanks will get you killed fast. It is OK to sit back behind the front line and watch the minimap for opportunities for lights or a lone tank for a easy kill. Also this means repositioning as much as you can depending on the situation. If you hang out in one spot too long you and you become predicable then you will be killed fast.

Don't attempt arty runs too early or without knowing where most if not ALL enemy tanks are. This also means learning the maps and knowing where popular camping spots are. Sometimes you want to avoid those spots while other times you want to get right in there to expose what is hiding there.

Make sure you have the best equipment and crew skills/perks for your play style. Having 100% camo on all crew members makes a HUGE impact on your camo abilities. Many times you can grab a nice bush and sit there collecting thousands of points in spotting damage in a few minutes. With this, do not fire shots while passive scouting.

Know WoT battle mechanics inside and out: http://wiki.worldoft...attle_Mechanics

GL HF KA TN

Audie_L_Murphy #5 Posted Jun 11 2013 - 01:53

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles
The WOT scout training video is worth watching.  Also, you should have your clan do some scout training using the methods provided in the video.  If your clan doesn't do that kind of training, get a few friends together on teamspeak or vent & have them try to spot you when u scout.  This is the best method to learn what you can & can't do when scouting & safe/unsafe map areas.

Tazilon #6 Posted Jun 11 2013 - 02:58

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles
http://www.tazilon.net

Edited by Tazilon, Jun 11 2013 - 02:59.

TalonV #7 Posted Jun 11 2013 - 13:25

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles
All I can say of scouting, he who dies early died for nothing.  The LT that survives till near the end, while doing effective scouting, is the pro scout.

Can't help your team if you are dead.  And you know what, it's not just your job to find arty.  That's a side job, it's your job to give your team safe positions to shoot from so they can fire without taking return fire.

That's the PRIMARY job of a scout.  What many people just do not get.

TheGrizzlay #8 Posted Jun 11 2013 - 13:57

Captain

• Players
  • 0 battles
It's map specific. I've been watching replays and guides and everytime I see a great spot for passive scouting, I take note of it.

I don't know all the good spots on all the maps, but I'm starting to get a handle on some spots for some maps. I also watch our team's scouts (and theirs where spotted) to see where they go to passive scout.

As for active scouting, I've seen it enough times as a heavy to know where to go and what to do. Just need some more experience at doing it now.

Basically, go where the heavies aren't. That's not a perfect rule, but a good guideline for a new scout.

TalonV #9 Posted Jun 11 2013 - 14:26

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostTheGrizzlay, on Jun 11 2013 - 13:57, said:

It's map specific. I've been watching replays and guides and everytime I see a great spot for passive scouting, I take note of it.

I don't know all the good spots on all the maps, but I'm starting to get a handle on some spots for some maps. I also watch our team's scouts (and theirs where spotted) to see where they go to passive scout.

As for active scouting, I've seen it enough times as a heavy to know where to go and what to do. Just need some more experience at doing it now.

Basically, go where the heavies aren't. That's not a perfect rule, but a good guideline for a new scout.

Something else to consider and not many LT drivers do this, hill surfing. Using the terrain to your advantage.

Great map for this is Phorovka standard battle the center hill.  Rehdshire in the northern area the small hill.  Murovanka there are a couple of passive spotting places and places where you can hill surf.

Trust me, knowing the terrain and exploiting it is an art, one many don't master. Hell I don't have it all the way down, but i tend to do it alot more these days.

NoLove_NoNothing #10 Posted Sep 04 2013 - 06:01

Sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles
Scouting is for people who have so much skill they have no life and those who have so much luck, they could get shot in the head by a 155mm cannon and not die.

BxVIPER #11 Posted Sep 04 2013 - 13:05

Private

• Players
  • 0 battles
Very useful information everyone.... thank you very much

Dorneles #12 Posted Sep 04 2013 - 13:42

Captain

• Players
  • 0 battles
first of all, categorize

you are a passive or active scout?

Active keep moving, passive sit in bushes.
to be an active scout, you need to be fast and quite manouverable. Example: chaffee.
To bem an passive scout, you need to be quite fast, but with a high rate o cammo. Example: VK 28.01

Now you know who you are, preceed:

Active scouts have a little role to keep enemy light. No, you will have not use rushing right on the start of the match. if your allys ain positioned, and still on movement, do not rush. You need to act like an eagle: Stay on a quite visible path among the map, stay away to not be hitten, and ligh the enemys. If you saw any oportunity, you have to strike hard and back again. Its not your role act like and douchbag.
Light the enemys and strike when sure.

Passive scouts sit on a middle advanced bush and stay there. Sometimes you will be tented to fire your gun, but think 5 times before that. It worth give your position away for 1 shoot? if you are going to finish a tank, maybe yes, if its just a nominal shoot, hold your dick in your jeans. Passive scout its the pacience role. You will act like an ambusher. Like a tiger, you will wait until the enemy get on a serious weak position, and strike hard.

Now equips & Perks:

Active scout: Vents, Coated Optics, Rammer

Passiv scout: Binoculars, CammoNet , Rammer

For Both:
Commander: 6th Sence, Recon, BiA
Driver: Smooth Ride, Off-Road Driving, BiA
Gunner: Designated Target, Snap Shot, BiA
Radio: Situational Awareness, Relaying, BiA
Loader: Intuition, Adrenaline Rush, BiA

see that you are an mobility view based tank.
The loader(if avaiable on your tank) skills are running only to help you on 1 time situations. Almost any shoot you recieve will let you at less 10% so, adrenaline would be the best.

Consumables:

Scout do not catch fire. Its a risk run without fireex, but i highly recomend you put 2 repairs kit on it. the normal and the premium. A tracked scout is a dead scout soo... If you catch fire, you are dead anyway.
fuel can be a must, and speed governor would be a little help to soviets.Just remember that can damage your tank soo go with pacience.

ELC AMX isnt a scout, it is a fast positioning TD.

BarnsBroadside #13 Posted Sep 04 2013 - 14:05

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostSugarBombs, on Jun 11 2013 - 01:03, said:

Vandal71 stated some great tips.

Know WoT battle mechanics inside and out: http://wiki.worldoft...attle_Mechanics

GL HF KA TN

This^^

View PostTazilon, on Jun 11 2013 - 02:58, said:

And this^^

Itsnoteasyfindinganame #14 Posted Sep 04 2013 - 14:16

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles
For active scouts in the early stages of the game you want to be moving from side to side in front of the enemy rather than straight at them or away from them as it is harder to hit a target moving across you. Sharp turns kill your speed so try to avoid them but don't drive in straight lines. Where possible I try to build up speed, or make large changes of direction out of sight of the enemy becuase the faster you are moving the harder you are to hit.
If there are lots of targets lit up just keep out of the way. When you are needed is when there are no targets visible. If the targets disapear try to manouvre to light them up again before ducking back into cover. Another option to consider in the opening minute or two is to hold back and cover the approaches from their scouts.

BarnsBroadside #15 Posted Sep 04 2013 - 14:37

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostDorneles, on Sep 04 2013 - 13:42, said:

first of all, categorize

Now equips & Perks:

Active scout: Vents, Coated Optics, Rammer

Passiv scout: Binoculars, CammoNet , Rammer

For Both:
Commander: 6th Sence, Recon, BiA
Driver: Smooth Ride, Off-Road Driving, BiA
Gunner: Designated Target, Snap Shot, BiA
Radio: Situational Awareness, Relaying, BiA
Loader: Intuition, Adrenaline Rush, BiA

I have to disagree here.  If you are a scout, shooting is your last priority.  Seeing and being unseen are more important.

Smooth ride, snap shot, designated target, intuition, and adrenaline rush are all shooting related skills.  Where is the camo in this list?  Passive scouts should definately be getting camo as a first skill.  Even active scouts will benefit from camo.

Also, the equipment.

Active scout: drop the rammer, add improved suspension.  Your mobility is your life, not your gun.  An active scout tracked is a dead scout no matter how fast he reloads.

Passive scout:  drop the rammer, add vents.  You want to be unseen and shooting reveals your possition.