T1 Heavy Tank

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
89 replies to this topic

Lord_Dominator #1 Posted Jan 03 2011 - 22:31

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
So, first of all I know there are several T1 topics but all of them are very "against T1", and I would like to open a Thread where people who have positive remarks regarding the American T1 Heavy could share their experiences, because I don't agree with people who claim this is the worst tank in the game or the worst heavy or etc. This Thread intends to give a different insight on this tank, so people who are thinking about whether it is worth going for it can read some other viewpoints too (I know there are people who did this in the other T1 topics, but usually 75% of a thread consists of negative comments so players will get scared).

To start with I would make a small detour towards the game mechanics and what a Heavy Tank is supposed to be (there are much better and much more elaborated threads on this topic but a brief recapitulation will make it easier to understand) because my experience shows that most of the people who claim this is such a bad tank, simply don't know how to play it.

So what's the role of a tier 5 heavy tank? Support! To help the mediums and lights where it is needed and to provide that edge on an assault or a defence. However I see most of the players rushing straight towards the enemy... just because you are heavy it doesn't mean you are invincible! Move together with the mediums and lights, let them engage the enemy at close range while you give them "sniper support". Never underestimate mediums, a wolf pack will tear you apart no matter what heavy you are driving. And don't forget positioning! Tanks have their strongest armor in the front, and heavy tanks usually have a very strong armor in the front which is quite hard to penetrate unless you are fighting higher tier enemy's. Always position yourself so that you face the enemy with your front armor. I see so many players exposing their sides, that's a huge mistake! You will get penetrated and worst, you will get tracked, and that's almost equal to certain death. Knowing your role and your place on the battlefield is the first step towards success! Just like the soviet KV, the T1 is an early heavy tank which can be reached relatively fast which has a big drawback, just when you got used with World of Tanks and the play stile of early mediums you will have to drastically change your whole approach if you want to be successful!

Another general thing that applies to all the tanks is the upgrade and crew skill factor. Never judge a stock tank with low skilled crew! There is a huge difference between a stock tank rolling on crew with 50% or even 75% and an Elite tank with 100% crew and additional skills (I personally recommend to always buy the 75% training, and later from tier 7 and up the 100% training is worth it too). Have patience, don't judge based on 10-20 battles, no matter how talented or good you are, it takes much more then that to actually get familiarized with your tank and it's capabilities. You hated it when you had 20 battles with it? Let's see when you will have 100+ with it...

And very important, learn to use manual aim! While auto aim may work in low tier battles with many inexperienced players, from tier 5 and above you will face players who know how to play. Auto aim always aims at the turret which is usually the most armored part of a tank, which will drastically decrease your chance to penetrate. No to mention, you will be unable to track the fast lights and mediums and you won't hit most of the moving targets.

And now back to the T1 Heavy Tank...

An important thing to note is that, there will be battles where you will face tier 7 or even tier 8 opponents. You can't do much against them in an open confrontation, but that's not the T1's fault, that's a game balance issue... However luckily from my experience 60%-70% of the battles you will face tier 5 and lower tanks and you will be on the top of the list in your team! That means a lot of fun (I currently have two Top Gun badges with 7 kills each) once you know what you are doing.

And let's go a bit more in depth, step by step.

Dimensions:

The T1 is a big tank which at first may look like a big disadvantage and to be honest it is, it's hard to miss such a big target... But being so tall also has an advantage, you can shoot over a bunch of obstacles, from debris to your allies (dead or alive, it doesn't matter) wrecks etc. Use it! There are so many places on the maps where you can shoot from while only exposing your turret which is a much smaller target and as you will see later, it's the most armored part of your tank. Be clever, turn a disadvantage into an advantage!

Armor:

Hull armor (mm) Front 83
                        Sides 44
                        Rear 41

Turret armor (mm) Front 102
                        Sides 83
                        Rear 83

The T1 is quite contradictory here, the front and the turret armor will be sufficient in most of the cases, however your sides and rear are weak. Yes this is a clear weakness of the T1 (the biggest weakness in my opinion) but you can do something against it... remember positioning? You have a strong front and turret armor use it!

Armament:

Damage (HP)   Penetration (mm) Rate of fire (rounds/min)

76mm Gun M1A1   115/110/185   128/177/38         18.99

The part that I personally love the most in the T1. This gun is extraordinary! The penetration rating is far enough for tier 5 and lower opponents and it can even damage higher tier ones if you aim at the sides or rear. However the biggest advantage is the rate of fire which is quite impressive for a heavy tank, add this to a decent accuracy and you have a very good sniping gun. Whoever says this is a bad gun doesn't know how to shoot, seriously!

(p.s. don't use auto aim!)

Mobility:

Get the improved suspension and the strongest engine and this tank will be extremely mobile and agile for a Heavy... This is one of the clear strengths of this tank. If this isn't enough for you, then switch to light or medium tanks, heavy's aren't for you!

Hitpoints:

Fully upgraded the T1 will have 660 Hp. which is more then most of the tier 5 tanks.

Conclusion? I am not saying, that the T1 is the best tank out there nor that it's a guaranteed victory. There will be some frustrating battles when you face high tiers, and there will be battles when you will loose because of your team. But if you know what you are doing and your team is not very bad, you will be able to do a lot of damage! The tank has one clear weakness, and that's the side armor, but it has a superb gun and high mobility which really even out the thing.

I currently have 150 battles in my Elite T1 with over 150 kills, two Top Gun badges with 7 kills each (one of them included  two KV's) and 100% crew with 50% secondary skill. The first 50 battles or so where painful, but after that it's pure fun and it makes a lot of money and xp. so much that I made enough to research my M6 to elite... Trust me guys, this tank can be very deadly in the right hands! I personally recommend it to anyone, who has a bit of patience to learn it's tricks!

Comments and remarks as well as other tips/tricks are welcome, and I would gladly exchange experience and knowledge with other T1 drivers!

SniperHAC #2 Posted Jan 03 2011 - 22:43

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
I agree. Would have to add that the stock is one of the worst stock tanks in the game. But once upgraded it is a pretty nice tank, and really brings in the XP/credits.

Frankly the M6 is as bad stock, but suffers even more with the match-making being a tier higher... That grind is far more painful than the T1 IMHO.

Lord_Dominator #3 Posted Jan 03 2011 - 23:19

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View Postchemicalade, on Jan 03 2011 - 22:43, said:

I agree. Would have to add that the stock is one of the worst stock tanks in the game. But once upgraded it is a pretty nice tank, and really brings in the XP/credits.

Well, I haven't met any tank yet that was good out of the box... Of course there are some that are better and others that are worse, but the point is how a tank performs once it is upgraded and the crew has some decent experience (I usually say, that a crew gets good once they are over 80%-85% a point at which the tank becomes quite effective).

Again I can only say, that it will take about 50 battles to get the tank upgraded and the crew (and yourself actually) experienced. From there I personally have found this tank one of the most pleasant and fun to play tank I ever played with.

View Postchemicalade, on Jan 03 2011 - 22:43, said:

Frankly the M6 is as bad stock, but suffers even more with the match-making being a tier higher... That grind is far more painful than the T1 IMHO.

I also agree with this. Although I don't find the M6 as painful as some claim, and I did have some very nice battles with it, however it is true that it suffers from the match-making system. Starting to play with it as an Elite however may have helped a lot, as I gathered enough free xp. with the T1 to be able to fully upgrade it once I bought it. As an Elite it's not that bad at all, and the 90 mm gun can cause some unpleasant surprises even to some higher tier tanks if it's in good hands. Not to mention the T29 which I personally believe to be a great tank which is definitely worth the effort!

TriDosHa #4 Posted Jan 03 2011 - 23:28

Private

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
Very nice post Walkyrus, love it myself! Have got a T1 aswel now and I can seriously agree with every single thing you've said, all so true :)

Now saving up for the Engines and then going to save for the M6, once I can buy that one I will be able to put the best engine in it already :D

Can't wait to get my fully upgraded M6 wit the 90mm gun! (and of course all the other higher tier tanks!)

Lord_Dominator #5 Posted Jan 03 2011 - 23:39

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View PostTriDosHa, on Jan 03 2011 - 23:28, said:

Very nice post Walkyrus, love it myself! Have got a T1 aswel now and I can seriously agree with every single thing you've said, all so true :)

Now saving up for the Engines and then going to save for the M6, once I can buy that one I will be able to put the best engine in it already :D

Can't wait to get my fully upgraded M6 wit the 90mm gun! (and of course all the other higher tier tanks!)

Well based on my personal experience I really recommend you to research everything with the T1 because you will be able to take some of them to the M6. I would also advise you to gather some free xp. so you can speed up the development process of the M6, because that will be tougher than the T1, with a lot of battles where you face tier 7 and 8 and even 9. But once fully upgraded it will be a fun tank to play, very similar to the T1 in many aspects. If you like this one, you will probably like the M6 as well!

:Smile_great:

__gabriel__ #6 Posted Jan 04 2011 - 00:04

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
I appreciate your take on the subject.
But It'd call it an unpolished turd instead.

Compare it to either of it's direct equivalents (The VK3601 and KV-1/2) and it is clearly sub par.  It lacks the superior weapons choices of the other two (the 88 L/56 , 10,5cm HE gun for the 3601, and the 107mm and 152mm howitzer for the KV 1/2) - presents a larger target than even the lol KV-2 turret, and gains nothing at all in mobility.

I'd say the only saving grace of the T1 is the frontal armor.
Scare comfort that armor is though, 100mm at these angles stops only guns in the class of 75mmm and below.

If only the M4 could take one down the Heavy tank line :)

Highway_Star #7 Posted Jan 04 2011 - 01:37

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
Fully upgraded in a battle without tier 8/9/10 tanks the T1 is actually very enjoyable.

Lord_Dominator #8 Posted Jan 04 2011 - 01:44

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View Postgabriel, on Jan 04 2011 - 00:04, said:

I appreciate your take on the subject.
But It'd call it an unpolished turd instead.

Compare it to either of it's direct equivalents (The VK3601 and KV-1/2) and it is clearly sub par.  It lacks the superior weapons choices of the other two (the 88 L/56 , 10,5cm HE gun for the 3601, and the 107mm and 152mm howitzer for the KV 1/2) - presents a larger target than even the lol KV-2 turret, and gains nothing at all in mobility.

I'd say the only saving grace of the T1 is the frontal armor.
Scare comfort that armor is though, 100mm at these angles stops only guns in the class of 75mmm and below.

If only the M4 could take one down the Heavy tank line :)

Well, I respectfully disagree...

First of all, the VK 3601 you mentioned is a tier 6 tank and it's not a direct equivalent of the T1 Heavy. The German equivalent would be the Pz. IV which if upgraded fully may indeed take on a T1 however it is by no mean superior. If you take a look at the Kwk 42 L/70 you will see that it has very similar characteristics with the M1A1 with the German gun being slightly stronger while the American being faster. Also note that to equip the Kwk 42 L/70 you need to use the horrible Schmalturm which although provides better front armor then the T1 upgraded turret, it has a significantly slower turning speed which can be quite a weakness in tight situations. Basically both thanks are good for support and sniping role, with the T1 having an advantage when it comes to dogfights due to the much faster turret.

Upgrading to a 105 mm gun would not be a wise choice in my opinion because of the lack of mobility and agility of the Pz. IV which is by no mean a dogfight tank and sniping with that gun would be significantly less effective.

The armor on the Pz. IV is also worse except the front of the Schmalturm.

Conclusion:

Although the Pz. IV can knock out a T1 this is also true the other way around. And although I really like the Pz. IV and I actually have most of my battles on a single tank in a Pz. IV, I would go for the T1 if I would have to choose, because of the lack of armor and Hp. I believe it's more of a choice of taste and play style because none of the two tanks is clearly superior to the other one.

Moving on to the KV, I would say that the difference is much more obvious here, with the KV having some clear advantages, like the high variety of guns which are clearly more powerful but at the cost of accuracy and rate of fire. Not to mention that to equip either the 107 mm or the 152 mm gun you will have to use the KV2 turret which will also provide a beautiful target and a ridiculously low turning speed. And it even has lower armor.

Conclusion:

Again both tanks have the means to knock out each other with the KV having an advantage with the possibility of a one shot kill. However if the first shot misses it will be completely helpless for several seconds, time in which the T1 can shoot/track it several times. Again I would say that it comes down do personal taste and skill, but none of the two have a definitive advantage over the other.

The T1 has it's faults but calling it an "unpolished turd" is just... unprofessional  :rolleyes:

I'm also surprised, that you mainly complained on the gun, which I believe is actually the biggest strength of the T1, by providing good power and accuracy with a very high rate of fire...   :unsure:

Mow_Mow #9 Posted Jan 04 2011 - 04:06

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
When I used my T1, there was no opponent i feared in a low tier fight other than KV with 152mm or 107mm, everything else I could take with and with good position, defeat.

The tall tracks are a bummer but you can hide behind other tanks and shoot over them. Just sometimes allies like to use you for cover, let them use you. Even if your sides are weak, they are more likely to be stronger than the sides of your allies. And you can take more hits, if need be.

derito #10 Posted Jan 04 2011 - 07:31

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
T1 can also provide a nice big shield to allies when dead.
(I'm sure it could be used intentionally with coordination)

4zero #11 Posted Jan 04 2011 - 09:45

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
T-1 is a good partner for TDs and mediums with high caliber guns.

I do hope the next patch will include a 105mm  :Smile_great:

RAZORLIGHT #12 Posted Jan 04 2011 - 15:00

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
its funny

KV 75mm front armor
T1 83mm front armor

KV is bouncing much
T1 is bouncing nearly nothing

Grunt_Dog #13 Posted Jan 04 2011 - 22:07

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
Yea...I have one Elited In my garage and I think I'll keep it...Cheap to repair and shoot.....Good credit earner...Hated it at first but after the crew got
good and fully upgraded it's a winner and definitely usable.

bojan #14 Posted Jan 05 2011 - 00:49

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View PostRAZORLIGHT, on Jan 04 2011 - 15:00, said:

its funny

KV 75mm front armor
T1 83mm front armor

KV is bouncing much
T1 is bouncing nearly nothing

KV's front hull armor is sloped @ 30deg (and little mid plate @ 70deg), T1's armor is mostly vertical.

Belrick #15 Posted Jan 05 2011 - 02:57

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View PostWalkyrus, on Jan 03 2011 - 22:31, said:

Armament:

Damage (HP)   Penetration (mm) Rate of fire (rounds/min)

76mm Gun M1A1   115/110/185   128/177/38         18.99

The part that I personally love the most in the T1. This gun is extraordinary! The penetration rating is far enough for tier 5 and lower opponents and it can even damage higher tier ones if you aim at the sides or rear. However the biggest advantage is the rate of fire which is quite impressive for a heavy tank, add this to a decent accuracy and you have a very good sniping gun. Whoever says this is a bad gun doesn't know how to shoot, seriously!

(p.s. don't use auto aim!)

Well. Truthfully you are a bit full of it here.

The problem with your post is MASSIVE over simplification due to your own arrogance.

Example. Tier 5 KV sticks his nose around the corner of a building and pops you a 107mm round. You manage to also get one shot off. He now does the obvious and pulls back behind cover to reload.

Result?

He has done THRICE the HP damage your 'extraordinary' gun has done. Now do you think this example is rare? How about when your on your last HP and taking your last shot type example. What would you rather do? 300=-25% or 115+-25% damage before you die?

ROF is important but so is doing enough damage to actually matter and 115 doesnt matter a damn vs tanks with plenty of HP.
The only time this gun is extraordinary is vs. tier 3 tanks and below.

Note: Damage per second formula is often quote wrong. It is (ROF + 1) * damage / 60 because you have to include the initial instant already loaded shot.

So an 107mm ave DPS is 40.3
The T1?

Having said all this. So far my T1 > than my T34 lol.

Lord_Dominator #16 Posted Jan 05 2011 - 16:50

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
My post is neither about simplification nor about arrogance... It just tries to give an alternative view (most topics out there are written clearly against the T1 by people like you, claiming it to be an absolutely useless tank) and to point out some strengths of the tank which may have not been discovered by some players yet.

Now turning back to your very narrow situation...

Yes there are situations where the KV can deal massive amount of damage to anything tier 5 and lower (and sometimes even higher tiers) including the T1. And yes it does happen that you get one shot by a KV with a 152 mm gun. So what's your point? Never play a T1 because a KV can take you out?

Again I would like to remind you and all who read my posts, I never, never claimed the T1 to be an ultimate tank! No, but once you learn how to use it, it will become a quite deadly and fun to play tank.

I also appreciate your nice mathematical approach, which clearly shows us that the KV is a superior tank, but you didn't take some things in calculation, like missing or like being in a more "opened" situation where traverse speed actually matters a lot.

Again I would end my part with stating that although there might be situations where the T1 is inferior to the other tier 5 tanks, there are also situations where it is superior, so it's a viable alternative.

p.s. I admit I've been knocked out by KV's and I've even been one shot by their 152 mm gun, but I have also knocked out enough KV's to not be afraid of them, trust me they aren't invincible.

Dirg #17 Posted Jan 05 2011 - 17:43

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
So if I use it like a highly visible TD it can be useful. Fair enough but then III could just play a TD couldnt I. I would challenge you in a snoop and poop snipe fight aganst a maxxed T28 Tier 4. It does all you said better.

Strykewolf #18 Posted Jan 05 2011 - 20:15

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View Postderito, on Jan 04 2011 - 07:31, said:

T1 can also provide a nice big shield to allies when dead.
(I'm sure it could be used intentionally with coordination)

Yes, it does.  I've had smaller tanks used the burned out hulk of my tank as a fire position many times.   :Smile_honoring:

Lord_Dominator #19 Posted Jan 05 2011 - 21:21

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View PostDirg, on Jan 05 2011 - 17:43, said:

So if I use it like a highly visible TD it can be useful. Fair enough but then III could just play a TD couldnt I. I would challenge you in a snoop and poop snipe fight aganst a maxxed T28 Tier 4. It does all you said better.

So again what's your point?  :unsure:

Grind out the entire American heavy line by converting free xp gained with your T-28 because you believe it can perform better then the T1? I mean seriously what's the point of these kind of posts? Why are you doing it? Just because you don't like a tank you have to bash it wherever you can? That's really childish man!

And I personally would choose the T1 over the T-28 any time...  :rolleyes:

RAZORLIGHT #20 Posted Jan 05 2011 - 22:09

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
wow if you know how to play with this baby its awesome

i perform better with T1 than with the KV because of the high rof you can dmg every subsystem and if you are in a dogfight you can perma destroy their gun if you aim well (did that with an IS)

if the devs give this tank a little buff (maybe HP) it will be my favourite T5 heavy  :Smile-playing:

edit: hell this tank is ... cant find the right words

u can hide behind wrecks and rape everybody and they cant harm you

last match i got steelwall warrior and wittman medal

btw.
KV 225 matches 7 steelwalls
T1 85 matches 8 steelwalls