Help me be more aggressive

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
44 replies to this topic

lpmaster #1 Posted Jun 16 2013 - 17:59

Major

• Players
  • 6489 battles
  • [ANZIO] ANZIO
As a player, I've always had more of a defensive mindset, where I would prefer to bunker down, assess the situation, and go in for the kill when I weakened the enemy through skirmishes.

Now this tactic does not seem to serve me well in WoT, as I always hear "Be more aggressive" both in-game and on these forums. I therefore come to you to suggest to me on how I can get more involved in combat.

(The only replay I have on hand, just in case)
Spoiler                     

Kuya_Moko #2 Posted Jun 16 2013 - 18:01

Major

• Players
  • 9892 battles
More aggro?

Remove the S and F keys.

Hit R twice when the game starts.

You are now playing like Kuya.

lpmaster #3 Posted Jun 16 2013 - 18:02

Major

• Players
  • 6489 battles
  • [ANZIO] ANZIO

View PostKuya_Moko, on Jun 16 2013 - 18:01, said:

More aggro?Remove the S and F keys.Hit R twice when the game starts.You are now playing like Kuya.

I said aggressive, not suicidal. XD

ADRR #4 Posted Jun 16 2013 - 18:05

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 11239 battles

View Postlpmaster, on Jun 16 2013 - 18:02, said:

I said aggressive, not suicidal. XD

Thin line between both. Most times it works. Some it doesn't.

yourgrandpa #5 Posted Jun 16 2013 - 18:09

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 17802 battles
  • [BAMBI] BAMBI
IS3 is a perfect aggressor. get close and wiggle around while reloading. always make them shoot your invincible turret.

EDIT: works point blank best

Edited by yourgrandpa, Jun 16 2013 - 18:10.

Warkid139 #6 Posted Jun 16 2013 - 18:11

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 8041 battles
I would start with Aggressive Tanks. If you want to be aggressive, start with finding Brawling tanks. such as a Heavy tank, or a dynamic Medium tank. In my experience, It seems that Heavy tankers seem to be rather aggressive using there Sheer armor and firepower to Intimidate and annihilate their opponent.....

Aggressive is getting in front of an opponents face and laying down the law. In times it's hard to be smart and aggressive, and it is hard to adapt to use tactical decisions along with ensuring backup.(A Big rule, Any aggressive tank needs plenty of options, from an escape which may seem less patriotic, to making sure you have some people with you to attack as a group)

I would recommend watching replays of heavy tankers, their tactics, forms of reasoning, flank choice, etc. If you want to be aggressive, you have to get up close, deal damage, know your tank,(it's limits) and DON'T BACK DOWN! This is the key to aggressive tanking.

Enjoy WoT.

Edited by Warkid139, Jun 16 2013 - 18:16.

Hothead28 #7 Posted Jun 16 2013 - 18:11

Corporal

• Players
  • 2512 battles
It really doesn't depend on being more aggressive or being more passive.  If you're a light tank, do your job and go scout for the heavier tanks. If you're a medium, get in and get out. If you're a heavy, get your fat butt out of our camp(especially during encounter battles) and go kill a few people.  TD just go. SPG, just camp within your range and start clubbing baby seals.

goregripe #8 Posted Jun 16 2013 - 18:14

Corporal

• Players
  • 7777 battles
agressive in this game is be suicidal, so if u wanna improve ur game, play tactical and help ur team

lpmaster #9 Posted Jun 16 2013 - 18:15

Major

• Players
  • 6489 battles
  • [ANZIO] ANZIO

View Postgoregripe, on Jun 16 2013 - 18:14, said:

agressive in this game is be suicidal, so if u wanna improve ur game, play tactical and help ur team

Right. Well according to my W/R Tactical play isn't helping.

Vashts #10 Posted Jun 16 2013 - 18:15

Captain

• Players
  • 6319 battles
the SP is not a real good tank for going aggressive. the only thing it has going for it is some armor that will eat some peoples shells some of the time. most of the time people know where to shoot you and if you go beastmode and rambo out in front you are going to get murked quick.

to "be aggressive" in tank like the SP.

if you are near the top of the tier spread: you can be a bit more aggressive and brawl. dont lumber out into the open though thinking you are supertank. show people your glacias if you have to, but dont show them the side of your idler. use hills to hide your soft upper turret. be sure to let your teammates support your attack in whatever you do.

if you are lower in the tier spread: follow an attack force. support the attack by taking shots while the enemy is preoccupied with your brawlers. once again, dont show the side of your idler. try not to expose your tank too much, but dont sit back and watch your brawlers get eaten alive because they have no support. keep in mind what the brawlers are doing. if they move forward to exploit a weekness in the enemy line, find a good flank and move forward with them.

Red_Ensign #11 Posted Jun 16 2013 - 18:16

Major

• Players
  • 2960 battles
I dunno if aggressive is really what you want to be more of.  aggression without judgment is a bad thing.

what you wanna try for is to be more opportunistic.  to spot more of those situations that are worth the risk.

lpmaster #12 Posted Jun 16 2013 - 18:18

Major

• Players
  • 6489 battles
  • [ANZIO] ANZIO

View PostRed_Ensign, on Jun 16 2013 - 18:16, said:

I dunno if aggressive is really what you want to be more of. aggression without judgment is a bad thing.what you wanna try for is to be more opportunistic. to spot more of those situations that are worth the risk.

I can spot those situations fine. I just don't have the balls to go through with it most of the time.

yourgrandpa #13 Posted Jun 16 2013 - 18:22

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 17802 battles
  • [BAMBI] BAMBI
or just get a PZ1c and do some dive by action ..... :blinky:

rush in, rambo 5 tanks down and if u survive go on

Edited by yourgrandpa, Jun 16 2013 - 18:23.

Savage281 #14 Posted Jun 16 2013 - 18:23

Captain

• Players
  • 9226 battles
Do you use XVM? High aggression works very well when you're against average or worse player, but good players can make you pay for it.

lpmaster #15 Posted Jun 16 2013 - 18:31

Major

• Players
  • 6489 battles
  • [ANZIO] ANZIO

View PostSavage281, on Jun 16 2013 - 18:23, said:

Do you use XVM? High aggression works very well when you're against average or worse player, but good players can make you pay for it.
I do not use XVM.

Robert_Skywalker #16 Posted Jun 16 2013 - 18:36

Captain

• Players
  • 3460 battles
  • [TLW] TLW
:izmena:  :justwait:

mattwong #17 Posted Jun 16 2013 - 18:36

Major

• Players
  • 18890 battles
Baby steps: instead of trying to switch from being a defensive player to an aggressive one, try being a semi-aggressive player first.  To do this, just tell yourself: "I need to be closer to the action".  Repeat this mantra to yourself as often as necessary.

You don't necessarily want to be leading the charge; that's what a very aggressive player does, and you're not used to that.  You just don't want to be too far back of the guy leading the charge, that's all.

yarl5000 #18 Posted Jun 16 2013 - 18:36

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 6360 battles
  • [VPG-S] VPG-S
Being aggressive is good if done right, if done wrong it is useless.

Key thing is picking when to be aggressive and when to stand your ground.  

If the flank you are on is weak on their side then being aggressive and just pushing as far into their backfield is good, assuming you have support to give you cover fire.
But also the issue of if your one flank is failing then pushing hard on the other flank to take pressure off is also viable.

JGB1 #19 Posted Jun 16 2013 - 18:37

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 10518 battles
I'll share my person experience (so take it with a grain of salt) - I have friends with whom I platoon and they
have coached me.

In tier I & II I was so clueless I relied mainly on luck - even with platoon mates giving me advice (e.g. there's
a huge difference between knowing to get hull down and actually being able to get hull down).

In tier III I experimented with suiscouting reckless frontal assaults. I set cruise control and swerved
and shot for 5 or 6 minutes... If I were alive after that, I'd switch to sneak & shoot mode.
You can get away with rushing out (a la Light Brigade) in lower tiers because opponents can't
hitting moving targets well.   I learned a lot by rushing out and not giving a rat's butt about self-
preservation.   NOTE:  rushing out like crazy - swerving and evading - works better than
sitting out in the open and exchanging fire with the enemy.  Sitting in the open is about the
dumbest thing you can do aside from driving off a cliff.  I learned how to move out in the open
from this exercise... BTW: It was an awful lot of fun driving light tanks at full speed ... kinda like
a fighter plane - but it did get old after a while... which was OK because

In Tier V - sciscouting doesn't work.  The tanks, crews and players are better and they can hit
you on the move.   Sure, it'll take ten shots but  you're still dead.  Time to adjust tactics - the
skills developed from all the swerving & evading are helpful when you have to dash through
an open area to get to cover.  Really, the problem with what I was doing in Tier III was doing
it for too long.  Still swerving ad evading out in the open is better than sitting still out there
but neither tactics will let you survive long.  [I note that most of the lemming losses are found
dead out in the open]

I'm dwelling on Tier V & VI because I see too many players seem to advance too quickly to
higher tiers (and am looking for tips how ot play better at these levels)

My advice is to practice being more agressive, drop down to Tier III where you can survive
mistakes better and play more aggressively there.  I think everyone should learn how to
dash across open areas using evasive action (remember the longer the dash in the open
the less likely it is your survive it - but at lower tiers you can practically cross the whole map!)

Oh.  One thing I am working on is the peek a boom - I am trying to balance the time waiting
for the reticle to shrink ... that I'm exposed.  It is a case of can I take a hit before I fire or not.

Edited by JGB1, Jun 16 2013 - 18:53.

_ErwinRommel__ #20 Posted Jun 16 2013 - 18:37

Major

• Players
  • 4218 battles
Press the F key 3 times and fire