• This topic is locked This topic is locked
79 replies to this topic

_Panzer9_ #1 Posted Jun 19 2013 - 02:19

Major

• Players
  • 23685 battles
  • [-G-] -G-
A guide to the B1
Hello, and welcome to the guide on how to not fail in what is widely considered one of the worst tanks in the game, the B1. Many hate it, due to the weak gun. But for me, it has my highest win/rate of all my tanks. But before we get to that...
About me:
I'll say this right now, I am not, I repeat, NOT, gud@tanks. I'm not even average, or not yet, at least. My  noobmeter is here. As you can see, overall, I have a 47% win/rate(OK, as of 7/22/13 it is now 48%, but you get the idea). There are worse, mind you, but it is below average. This said, it is going up fairly quickly. So take whatever I say with a grain of salt.
OK, we are past that.
The B1 in real life
Before we get into the WoT B1, we have to understand the B1 it was based off of. If I may quote the wiki:
"Development was started in 1921. Due to extended trials the vehicle did not enter service until 1934. A total of 403 tanks in two basic modifications were manufactured from 1935 through 1940."
Now that dosen't say as much as I would like it to say, so I'll add to it:
The B1 is generally recognized as the first heavy tank, though the Char 2C and T-35 are also contenders. It had a 47mm main gun, with a 75mm howitzer in the hull. The 75mm had poor armor penetration with HE rounds, and only a few APHE rounds were available for it. However, the 47mm could knock out either the Panzer III or BT-7, the B1's projected rivals. There were 2 modifications, a B1 with 50mm of armor, and a B1 bis with 60mm of armor. A B1 ter with 70mm of armor was planned, but only 2 prototypes where made. During the Battle of France, while the French army had a poor showing in general, the B1 did quite well. Most where abandoned due to breakdown, or knocked out by German airpower or anti-tank guns. When the B1's did meet German armor, they tended to do well against the Panzer Is, IIs, IIIs with the 37mm, and IVs with the short 75mm. In one indecent, on 16 May a single tank, Eure, frontally attacked and destroyed thirteen German tanks lying in ambush in Stonne, all of them Panzer IIIs and Panzer IVs, in the course of a few minutes. The tank safely returned despite being hit 140 times. Similarly, in his book Panzer Leader, Heinz Guderian related an incident, which took place during a tank battle south of Juniville: "While the tank battle was in progress, I attempted, in vain, to destroy a Char B with a captured 47-mm anti-tank gun; all the shells I fired at it simply bounced harmlessly off its thick armor. Our 37-mm and 20-mm guns were equally ineffective against this adversary. As a result, we inevitably suffered sadly heavy casualties". It is generally agreed that the 1 man turret was the greatest flaw, it gave the commander too many jobs, when he needed to focus on commanding the tank. But 1 man turrets were cheap, nad B1s were already putting a strain on French industry as is. B1's were also used by Germany, in limited numbers, but I won't get into that.
Some pics:
Spoiler                     
Knocked out B1
Spoiler                     
B1 in museum
The B1 in-game
Ah, so screw real life, you want to know how good this thing is at internet tanks! Lets cover a few things:
Note:
This tank has very good MM. It never sees tier 6s, and most of the time is in tier 4 battles. So keep that in mind.
Armor:8/10
You have it. 60mm front and side, and 55mm in the rear. The front also has a nice slope to it. But you do have weakspots. The turret is weak, but the gun mantel is big, and the turret itself is so small that you can almost ignore this. That 75mm gun I was talking about? Not only is it useless, it is a big, glaring weakspot in the front. So what do you do? Angle your armor. Your tracks can and will eat shots, and will block your hull , like your bigger brother, the ARL-44.
Firepower: 5/10
This is why some (ignorant) people hate this tank. You have the same 47mm gun you knew (and hopefully) loved on the D2. This is fine for most tier 4s and 3s, but tier 5s, especially tanks like the AT-2 and KV-1, will laugh at it. But you faced these tanks in the D2 anyway, so you aren't losing a lot. All said, good RoF, good accuracy, bad alpha, bad pen.
Speed: 5.5/10
This tank is very sluggish stock. I'll say that right now. But with the top engine, it has very good maneuverability for a heavy, and you will reach your top speed quickly. However, this top speed is a not-so impressive 30 kph. In short, you won't be winning any races, but you can get to where you're going.
Radio: 9/10
A tier 9 radio on a tier 4 tank. Must I say more?
View Range: 4/10
I won't go into detail, but it is pretty lacking.

Tanks to look out for:
Certain tanks you should behave certain ways around. These tanks are:
Tier 3:
T-70, danger level, 2/10
Mean little tier 3, it's frontal armor can bounce some of your shots, and has a 45mm that can sting as well
D2, danger level, 1/10
Your little brother can hurt you with the same 47mm you have, and the frontal armor isn't bad, either.
Tier 3 TDs, danger level, 3/10
These can pen you somewhat reliably, but you can hurt them dearly, as well.
Tier 4:
M3 Lee, danger level, 4/10
Regarded as even worse then the B1, treat this tank with caution. It's 75mm has high alpha, and can make your HP vanish fairly quickly. But It's cake if you get it in the side.
AMX 40, danger level, 6/10
Look out for these things. Yes, they will sometimes bounce off you. But their armor is fantastic for a tier 4, so either get it in the rear, or aim for the driver's hatch/cupola.
Matilda, danger level, 7/10
LOOK OUT FOR THESE THINGS. I cannot stress that enough. The gun, while it does not have impressive alpha, will pen you most, if not all, the time. And if you aren't running gold (I don't) you have to get it in the rear, or aim for weakspots.
Panzer III, danger level, 4.5/10
Fast, and have good frontal armor. However, the guns will struggle against you and turret and side armor is weak.
Tier 4 TDs, danger level, 6/10
This is like tier 3 TDs, but worse. Same rules apply, with one exception.
Hetzer, danger level, 7/10
These things are dangerous. The 60mm of sloped frontal armor will bounce all of your shots, and the only weaknesses are the lower plate, or the driver's hatch. If they are running the 105 derp, they can one-shot you. So how do you fight them? Get up close, and side scrape them. With 20mm side and 6mm rear armor, they will die quickly.
Tier 5:
Nearly everything here, but these few are really bad:
StuG III, danger level, 8/10
Hard hitting TD that WILL pen you with the L/70 and can one-shot you with the 105. However, you can pen it anywhere but the upper superstructure. Aim for the lower hull for a chance of lighting it on fire.
M4/ Panzer IV, danger level, 9/10
Mediums with 105 derps, and most of the time will bounce your shots. Either aim for the lower plate or flank.
Tier 5 Heavy Tanks, danger level, 9/10
These are really bad. You will bounce off their fronts, and even the sides are difficult. Aim well, though, and you CAN hurt them with AP. One exception noted below.
AT-2, danger level, 9.5/10
Good luck hurting this thing. Even with gold, good luck penning this thing anywhere. The most you can do is track it to make it easier to hit for friendly arty/bigger tanks.
KV-1 danger level, 10/10
DO NOT FIGHT ALONE. Yes, you CAN pen the rear with gold. But that's it. Even if you track it, it has a turret, you're still screwed. you can annoy it, to take attention off an ally that can hurt it, but that's it.
Edit: Upon request, here is the T-28:
danger level, 5/10
They are the size of a bus, have no camo, and no armor. So why fear them? The can move quickly, and the gun is more or less the same 57mm that the KV-1 and T-34 have. Try to angle, and shoot it first, you can even use HE on it, if you have any.

Conclusion:
The B1 is a good tank in the right (or sometimes, even the wrong) hands.Great HP, Great armor, workable gun, workable speed, it can actually depress, it's just a good tank. In the future, when mutli-gun control is added, it will be a great tank, because with a 75mm derp, it can actually hurt some of those scary tier 5s.
Final rating: 8/10.

Places I would like to thank:
Lert's guide on writing guides
Wot wiki article

Also, this has been my first guide. So... how is it?

Edited by Panzer9Supertiger, Jul 23 2013 - 00:23.

FCM_2C_Jesus #2 Posted Jun 19 2013 - 02:22

Major

• Players
  • 26361 battles
The Char 1c WAS the first heavy tank......the 2c was built during the early 20's and the T-35 was built in 1936 IIRC

Posted Image

/add this to the game

_Panzer9_ #3 Posted Jun 19 2013 - 02:26

Major

• Players
  • 23685 battles
  • [-G-] -G-
From the OP:

The B1 is generally recognized as the first heavy tank, though the Char 2C and T-35 are also contenders.
Though I admit, I've never heard of the Char 1C

Edited by Panzer9Supertiger, Jun 19 2013 - 02:27.

_Fevs_ #4 Posted Jun 19 2013 - 02:27

Captain

• Players
  • 28537 battles
Not to shabby

Strongarm8 #5 Posted Jun 19 2013 - 02:30

Captain

• Players
  • 8011 battles
  • [-CFD-] -CFD-
Ummm, the M3 Lee's danger level only needs to be a 4 if it's being driven by a complete and total retard, I'll take B1's head on and kill them every day

_Panzer9_ #6 Posted Jun 19 2013 - 02:33

Major

• Players
  • 23685 battles
  • [-G-] -G-

View PostStrongarm8, on Jun 19 2013 - 02:30, said:

Ummm, the M3 Lee's danger level only needs to be a 4 if it's being driven by a complete and total retard, I'll take B1's head on and kill them every day
As a matter of fact, so have I, in my few battle in the Lee  :teethhappy: . But 99.9% of people really have no idea how to use it, anyway, too many people just use it like a Medium. But Lees are helpless if you sidescrape them.

Edited by Panzer9Supertiger, Jun 19 2013 - 02:39.

locoace1 #7 Posted Jun 19 2013 - 02:34

Major

• Players
  • 7424 battles
this thread gets a 10/10, post more, i vote you do a T-28 guide, try and show how it can still dominate even without the 85mm

Wyvern2 #8 Posted Jun 19 2013 - 02:46

Major

• Players
  • 35835 battles
  • [_D_] _D_
Removed my tiering errored argumet, sorry. The side armor and turning ability on the B1 is miserable and the amx40, matilda and Valentine are all superior to it in firepower and armor, so in a straight up firefight, your screwed. The B1 has the lowest pen, and the lowest/tied for lowest armor out of all of these. you keep saying, get to their side, but you're in a B1, not a T80, which, btw, eats the B1 for breakfast, at least in my hands. So you cant really flank, any non-second rate flop of a TD can and will turn with you and take you out. The Lee spams 20 rounds a minute of 110 damage, it can rip apart a B1 in four shots and will quite possibly bounce some of the B1's return fire. Tier 9 radio on a tier 4 doesnt really matter, because most tanks at that tier have a good radio already and at very least can keep in touch with everything on the map.
As you mentioned, the view range is miserable, what you didn't mention is that those said tier 3 TD's can and will punch holes in you at any range, even the british and french ones with their weak 6pdrs. Chances are that you will never see them until its too late to save yourself. And then of course theres tier 4 TD's which can eat it for breakfast just the same, and not just the hetzer, the su85b, T40, and alecto are both vicious snipers and the latter 2, as well as the sau can brawl it out with the right guns.
The T-28 is comparable in size and far weaker in armor, but its far more mobile and has a gun that will turn your 60mm's of armor into swiss cheese in seconds. The pzIII is indeed not that dangerous, because its front armor is full of holes(same with the pz38na and Vk2001d) and its got a choice of two horrible guns for its tier, same with the sau i suppose. The M5's will have trouble with you, if only because they have bad firepower.
The Covenater and T80, two of the non-scout lights can kill you with relative ease, assuming that the covie runs one of the 2 AP guns it can use or the T80 is running the Vt43 45mm, not the craptastic 37mm. The T50 can similarly kill you, though i dont know if its capable of getting pure tier 4 matches(havent had it in a while).
The 47mm is certainly not adequate btw, because it bounces off heavier tier 4's and its a gun with which you have to fight tier 6's, not a good weapon when you're stuck with a big slow tank like the B1.
Otherwise, gj on the writeup but i find it to be seriously flawed in many ways as the B1 is a very much sub-par tank in its tier. It has a gun more suited to a medium/light playstyle on a tank that has unimpressive armor and even less impressive speed. the huge treads soaking shots also come with huge slab sides that almost guarantee penetration. All it really has going for it is the hp pool. The fact that you didn't mention several dangerous tanks such as the valentine, while including some that dont really fit, like the T70 doesnt make much sense</p>

VooDooKobra #9 Posted Jun 19 2013 - 02:50

Major

• Players
  • 9991 battles
  • [MOVE] MOVE
nicely done

_Panzer9_ #10 Posted Jun 19 2013 - 02:58

Major

• Players
  • 23685 battles
  • [-G-] -G-

View PostWyvern2, on Jun 19 2013 - 02:46, said:

First of all, the B1 gets tier 6 matches, and its 47mm is already of questionable usefulness at tier 5. the B2 only sees tier 4 though, so that might have been what you were talking about. Be that as it may, the side armor and turning ability on the B1 is miserable and the amx40, matilda and Valentine are all superior to it in firepower and armor, so in a straight up firefight, your screwed. The B1 has the lowest pen, and the lowest/tied for lowest armor out of all of these. you keep saying, get to their side, but you're in a B1, not a T80, which, btw, eats the B1 for breakfast, at least in my hands. So you cant really flank, any non-second rate flop of a TD can and will turn with you and take you out. The Lee spams 20 rounds a minute of 110 damage, it can rip apart a B1 in four shots and will quite possibly bounce some of the B1's return fire. Tier 9 radio on a tier 4 doesnt really matter, because most tanks at that tier have a good radio already and at very least can keep in touch with everything on the map.
As you mentioned, the view range is miserable, what you didn't mention is that those said tier 3 TD's can and will punch holes in you at any range, even the british and french ones with their weak 6pdrs. Chances are that you will never see them until its too late to save yourself. And then of course theres tier 4 TD's which can eat it for breakfast just the same, and not just the hetzer, the su85b, T40, and alecto are both vicious snipers and the latter 2, as well as the sau can brawl it out with the right guns.
The T-28 is comparable in size and far weaker in armor, but its far more mobile and has a gun that will turn your 60mm's of armor into swiss cheese in seconds. The pzIII is indeed not that dangerous, because its front armor is full of holes(same with the pz38na and Vk2001d) and its got a choice of two horrible guns for its tier, same with the sau i suppose. The M5's will have trouble with you, if only because they have bad firepower.
The Covenater and T80, two of the non-scout lights can kill you with relative ease, assuming that the covie runs one of the 2 AP guns it can use or the T80 is running the Vt43 45mm, not the craptastic 37mm. The T50 can similarly kill you, though i dont know if its capable of getting pure tier 4 matches(havent had it in a while).
The 47mm is certainly not adequate btw, because it bounces off heavier tier 4's and its a gun with which you have to fight tier 6's, not a good weapon when you're stuck with a big slow tank like the B1.
Otherwise, gj on the writeup but i find it to be seriously flawed in many ways as the B1 is a very much sub-par tank in its tier. It has a gun more suited to a medium/light playstyle on a tank that has unimpressive armor and even less impressive speed. the huge treads soaking shots also come with huge slab sides that almost guarantee penetration. All it really has going for it is the hp pool. The fact that you didn't mention several dangerous tanks such as the valentine, while including some that dont really fit, like the T70 doesnt make much sense
The B1 DOES NOT see tier 6s. That is an outright lie, either that or you foolishly platoned. And to say the B1 has bad turning speed... have you even played it? The side armor is great, and even more great if you know how to angle. So, what does a B1 have over an AMX 40, a Valentine, or a Matilda? It can turn, it can move, and it has a nice block of HP. Lee drivers generally have no idea what they are doing, and they are helpless if you sidescrape them. And as I said, any tier 3 or 4 TD can hurt you, but if it's not a Hetzer, you can hurt them frontally as well, and you can just sidescrape Hetzers. I'll type more in the morning.

Wilvan #11 Posted Jun 19 2013 - 02:58

Corporal

• Players
  • 19522 battles
  • [SBS] SBS

View PostWyvern2, on Jun 19 2013 - 02:46, said:

First of all, the B1 gets tier 6 matches

Sorry Wyvern, Op is right: http://wiki.worldoftanks.com/B1

Edit: Ninja'd by Panzer

Edited by Wilvan, Jun 19 2013 - 02:59.

tvanderhart #12 Posted Jun 19 2013 - 03:05

Major

• Players
  • 3071 battles
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT
I liked your guide.  You should poast moar.

Wyvern2 #13 Posted Jun 19 2013 - 04:28

Major

• Players
  • 35835 battles
  • [_D_] _D_
damn, you're right, sorry bout that, not enough sleep and long time away from the tank messed me up. i tried it on a friends account a long time ago, so it must have changed since then, or im plain wrong and it was always like that.
Otherwise, i stick by my guns on everything i said. Its traverse speed is worse then the matildas, valentines and Amx40's. so what if the turrets fast because that wont save your side armor from being ripped to shreds. You get the same problem with the churchill series, none of them turn fast enough to keep their front armor to the enemy at all times.
Your whole type up seems to assume that the guy in the B1 is a pro, or at least knows it very well, like you obviously do(this was not meant to be sarcastic, i just realized it sounds like it is), and the guy on the recieving end is stupid. As I said, almost every TD sees farther then you do and if they are half smart they'll sit out of your view range and rip you apart, this makes you dependent on other tanks to scout for you, like most heavies are but at low tiers, such allied skill is somewhat unlikely and isn't aided by bad speed preventing you from getting into a position in time. Similarly, this speed issue makes sidescraping anything difficult unless said individual is incompetent or tracked which is relatively hard to do, especially when you're trying to move into a flanking position.
This leads into my next point, the B1 is only 4kmh faster then the valentine and matilda, theoretically 22kmh slower then the amx40, but thats just BS, i think the most i hit in this tank, which i had relatively recently was 30 so lets assume speed is equal. Thus the speed advantage is minimal and not really much of a factor, you're still slower then most tanks anyways.
Assuming both players are equally good a Su85b for example will pop one shot into you before you spot it(at least) pop another roughly at the same time that you fire your first return shot/have it spotted, and fire the 3rd and finishing shot seconds after that, in that space of time, you might get 2/3 of its hp off, assuming everything goes perfectly for you and assuming all shots on both sides penetrate.
Side scraping works, somewhat, but the weak turret still makes it a questionable strategy against a decent player and once again, theres generally an exposed smidgen that can be hit, or otherwise you risk exposing too much of your tanks sides. And as mentioned fast tank players can and will get on your slabbish side armor, which doesnt offer much protection against anything with decent pen.
Also, fighting your rough equals with your gunpower, unless you're spamming gold, is far from effective in many cases. Penetration goes 121-Matilda, 92/110-Valentine, 74-Amx 40, 66-B1. The two brits can turn you into swiss cheese with any of their guns, and the matilda, if wriggling, is almost immune to your return fire, while the valentine is quite resilient. The Amx40 is much more of an even match up except the former is bouncier and if it aims at the weakspots such as the turret, its gonna pen anyway.
As mentioned, I still like your write up, its definitely helpful and i'll keep it in mind when i buy mine later this week. Its just that I definitely feel you're overrating it compared to its peers and all my experience fighting it shows that it is sub par for its tier. The fact that it can be made to work does not make it a superior tank, it just shows that a good player can compensate for shortcomings.and why the -1, was that just for the tier issue, which i admit i was wrong, or is it for something else?

Blazin40s #14 Posted Jun 19 2013 - 04:49

Sergeant

• Players
  • 13355 battles
I will admit that fully upgraded with decent crew this tank was fun for shooting up lower tier tanks but beyond that was useless as a heavy tank.  At least it was maneuverable and fast enough to outrun most of the tanks you can't kill once fully upgraded.  I find if a tank can damage all the enemy's it's going to face I tend to keep it.  This one I sold as soon as I got to the BDR. Now the BDR's 90mm on the other hand is awesome. With same armor as B1 though it is definitely fragile for a tier 5

Scootaloo23 #15 Posted Jun 20 2013 - 17:19

Major

• Players
  • 10233 battles
I would like to point out that the T-28 is more dangerous than the Lee to the B1. The 57mm will shred the B1 really quick from almost any angle, and the T-28 is mobile enough to control the engagement.

_Panzer9_ #16 Posted Jun 20 2013 - 18:47

Major

• Players
  • 23685 battles
  • [-G-] -G-

View PostScootaloo23, on Jun 20 2013 - 17:19, said:

I would like to point out that the T-28 is more dangerous than the Lee to the B1. The 57mm will shred the B1 really quick from almost any angle, and the T-28 is mobile enough to control the engagement.
While that is true, the armor is so lacking that HE rounds from the B1 will pen it more then 1/2 the time. And its size doesn't help either. But yes, I'll add the T-28 when I get some more free time, which doesn't appear to be soon.

Teru_Miyanaga #17 Posted Jun 23 2013 - 17:34

Sergeant

• Players
  • 11334 battles
Actually my biggest worries whenever I'm in the B1 (while in the same tier I mean) are the Hetzer and the Matilda.  The Hetz obviously because HEAT makes a mockery of your armor, regardless of angling, while the Matilda's combination of good armor EVERYWHERE and high ROF makes it hard to pick out its weak spots.

Scootaloo23 #18 Posted Jun 25 2013 - 16:01

Major

• Players
  • 10233 battles

View PostPanzer9Supertiger, on Jun 20 2013 - 18:47, said:

While that is true, the armor is so lacking that HE rounds from the B1 will pen it more then 1/2 the time. And its size doesn't help either. But yes, I'll add the T-28 when I get some more free time, which doesn't appear to be soon.

They both have terribad camo values, but let's look at the values for the guns.

The top 47mm for the B1 has 26 RPM for RoF, does 70 DMG (HE) average, and has 24mm (HE) of pen. The T-28 has 30mm of frontal armor. Which means that with some clever angling, you can deflect those HE shots.

The top 57mm has 112 (AP) pen, 22 RPM RoF, and 85(AP) DMG average. So less RoF, but enough damage to make up for that. The B1 has 60mm of frontal armor. This is where we see why the T-28 is such a big problem.

The B1 has 52mm less armor than the 57mm guns avg pen, while the T-28 has a 4mm advantage on the 47mm HE pen. But let's compare the AP rounds, just to be fair. The 47mm has 66 pen average for AP, so yeah, that will cut through the T-28 like butter, but only 55 average damage, meaning you lose your only opportunity to out DPM the giant green buzzsaw.

Which is why the T-28 is death to the B1. And if the T-28 feels he isn't winning the fight, he can easily bug out, something the B1 struggles to do. Ironically enough, the T-28 is closer playstyle wise to the later French Heavies, and the B1 is closer playstyle wise to the later Russian heavies. Irony indeed.

nublex #19 Posted Jun 26 2013 - 17:02

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 17549 battles

View PostPanzer9Supertiger, on Jun 19 2013 - 02:19, said:

The B1 in-game
Ah, so screw real life, you want to know how good this thing is at internet tanks! Lets cover a few things:
Note:
This tank has very good MM. It never sees tier 6s, and most of the time is in tier 4 battles. So keep that in mind.
Armor:8/10
You have it. 60mm front and side, and 55mm in the rear. The front also has a nice slope to it. But you do have weakspots. The turret is weak, but the gun mantel is big, and the turret itself is so small that you can almost ignore this. That 75mm gun I was talking about? Not only is it useless, it is a big, glaring weakspot in the front. So what do you do? Angle your armor. Your tracks can and will eat shots, and will block your hull , like your bigger brother, the ARL-44.
Firepower: 5/10
This is why some (ignorant) people hate this tank. You have the same 47mm gun you knew (and hopefully) loved on the D2. This is fine for most tier 4s and 3s, but tier 5s, especially tanks like the AT-2 and KV-1, will laugh at it. But you faced these tanks in the D2 anyway, so you aren't losing a lot. All said, good RoF, good accuracy, bad alpha, bad pen.
Speed: 5.5/10
This tank is very sluggish stock. I'll say that right now. But with the top engine, it has very good maneuverability for a heavy, and you will reach your top speed quickly. However, this top speed is a not-so impressive 30 kph. In short, you won't be winning any races, but you can get to where you're going.
Radio: 9/10
A tier 9 radio on a tier 4 tank. Must I say more?
View Range: 4/10
I won't go into detail, but it is pretty lacking.
-Note: It does see tier 6, about 30% chance overall, 1~7 per team. About 40% chance seeing Tier 5, 3~10 per team.
-Armour: If you rate it as raw thickness, maybe. Otherwise it is barely enough to held off 60mm (tier IV guns), even at angle, simply because the tank is a brawler due to its gun . Module layout is pretty horrible as well, radiator on the side, crew access on the other side, and hull encase in tracks as well.
-Fire Power: I am sorry, it is all over the floor, accuracy is bad, pen is bad, even for tier III tanks. They are bearable with D2 because other tank doesn't have better guns
-Speed: rating seem to be contradictory to the comments.
-Radio:Could be useful with relay crew perk, but I doubt it would activate on grind.
-View Range: Sure

Tanks to look out for:
Certain tanks you should behave certain ways around. These tanks are:
Tier 3:
T-70, danger level, 2/10
Mean little tier 3, it's frontal armor can bounce some of your shots, and has a 45mm that can sting as well
D2, danger level, 1/10
Your little brother can hurt you with the same 47mm you have, and the frontal armor isn't bad, either.
Tier 3 TDs, danger level, 3/10
These can pen you somewhat reliably, but you can hurt them dearly, as well.
Tier 4:
M3 Lee, danger level, 4/10
Regarded as even worse then the B1, treat this tank with caution. It's 75mm has high alpha, and can make your HP vanish fairly quickly. But It's cake if you get it in the side.
AMX 40, danger level, 6/10
Look out for these things. Yes, they will sometimes bounce off you. But their armor is fantastic for a tier 4, so either get it in the rear, or aim for the driver's hatch/cupola.
Matilda, danger level, 7/10
T-70: Driver who abuse it turret placement will give you a lot of trouble
D2: Only lose to your hit point, unless you can get into melee range
Tier 3 TDs: They see you miles away, their guns either penetrate you easily or derp you to the moon.
M3 Lee: It have higher DPM than you, it is more agile than you, it penetrate you more reliably than vice verse; your only hope is tracking it and/or side scrape.
AMX40: I highly doubt B1 can get around without some very good help.
Matilda: And Valentine too.

LOOK OUT FOR THESE THINGS. I cannot stress that enough. The gun, while it does not have impressive alpha, will pen you most, if not all, the time. And if you aren't running gold (I don't) you have to get it in the rear, or aim for weakspots.
Panzer III, danger level, 4.5/10
Fast, and have good frontal armor. However, the guns will struggle against you and turret and side armor is weak.
Tier 4 TDs, danger level, 6/10
This is like tier 3 TDs, but worse. Same rules apply, with one exception.
Hetzer, danger level, 7/10
These things are dangerous. The 60mm of sloped frontal armor will bounce all of your shots, and the only weaknesses are the lower plate, or the driver's hatch. If they are running the 105 derp, they can one-shot you. So how do you fight them? Get up close, and side scrape them. With 20mm side and 6mm rear armor, they will die quickly.
Tier 5:
Nearly everything here, but these few are really bad:
StuG III, danger level, 8/10
Hard hitting TD that WILL pen you with the L/70 and can one-shot you with the 105. However, you can pen it anywhere but the upper superstructure. Aim for the lower hull for a chance of lighting it on fire.
M4/ Panzer IV, danger level, 9/10
Mediums with 105 derps, and most of the time will bounce your shots. Either aim for the lower plate or flank.
Tier 5 Heavy Tanks, danger level, 9/10
These are really bad. You will bounce off their fronts, and even the sides are difficult. Aim well, though, and you CAN hurt them with AP. One exception noted below.
AT-2, danger level, 9.5/10
Good luck hurting this thing. Even with gold, good luck penning this thing anywhere. The most you can do is track it to make it easier to hit for friendly arty/bigger tanks.

PzIII: It will eat you for breakfast, don't forget VK20.01, which is the same tank with different suspension.
Tier 4 TDs:Aside from SAu-40, they see you miles away, all penetrate you 90% of times, and can take you out before you can zero on them.
Pz III/IV, Leopard, T-34 brothers can all laughing at your awful gun and break you face to face.
StuG have 80mm lower plate for a while, every other TD would blow you away just as quick, if not quick like S35CA.

KV-1 danger level, 10/10
DO NOT FIGHT ALONE. Yes, you CAN pen the rear with gold. But that's it. Even if you track it, it has a turret, you're still screwed. you can annoy it, to take attention off an ally that can hurt it, but that's it.
Not like you can handle any tier 5 alone.

Edit: Upon request, here is the T-28:
danger level, 5/10
They are the size of a bus, have no camo, and no armor. So why fear them? The can move quickly, and the gun is more or less the same 57mm that the KV-1 and T-34 have. Try to angle, and shoot it first, you can even use HE on it, if you have any.
Because again, they kill you faster than you kill them.

Conclusion:
The B1 is a good tank in the right (or sometimes, even the wrong) hands.Great HP, Great armor, workable gun, workable speed, it can actually depress, it's just a good tank. In the future, when mutli-gun control is added, it will be a great tank, because with a 75mm derp, it can actually hurt some of those scary tier 5s.
Final rating: 8/10.
75mm derp does nothing to tier 5, even to the Crusader. And before multi-turret and all, barely workable speed is useless against horde of quick tanks, nor its non-existing armour can help.

Also, this has been my first guide. So... how is it?
Too much calculation and assumption out of vacuum, misleading at best.

Wyvern2 #20 Posted Jun 26 2013 - 17:25

Major

• Players
  • 35835 battles
  • [_D_] _D_
does it see tier 6, the wiki says it doesnt, I could swear I've seen them at tier 6, but i might just be wrong

Also tagged with B1, guide

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users