Guide to the B1; a misunderstood tank?

B1 guide

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
79 replies to this topic

Seraphil #41 Posted Jul 23 2013 - 06:49

Major

• Players
  • 17680 battles
It says no effect on penetrating hits.  That means if the HE pens and does full damage.  The Spall Liner's point is to prevent HE from penetrating in the first place.  None of the three hits I took were penetrations.

Nega64 #42 Posted Jul 23 2013 - 06:52

Corporal

• Players
  • 12222 battles
  • [HEROE] HEROE
I like the B1, is not so bad. I get my first "M" with it. never forget..

Valundar #43 Posted Jul 23 2013 - 14:25

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 35951 battles
  • [DHO] DHO

View PostSeraphil, on Jul 23 2013 - 06:49, said:

It says no effect on penetrating hits.  That means if the HE pens and does full damage.  The Spall Liner's point is to prevent HE from penetrating in the first place.  None of the three hits I took were penetrations.
From what ive read, this is incorrect.
What the spall liner is supposed to do is decrease the damage you take, AFTER it has been determined to be a non-pen or a splash hit.
It does absolutely nothing to prevent a pen in the 1st place.  

Think about it...   what the spall liner does is prevent damage from the explosion of he ouside your tank.  If the shot pens... the explosion is on the inside.... and the liner will do nothing.

And iirc...  how that works is it increases your armor values when determining the damage of the shot. (remember this is all about reducing damage from non-pen hits... not for the pen calculation)

if you have 100 armor, and a splash hits you, the heavy liner will make that armor act like 130 or so.... making the HE damage a bit less...  (remember it will do much less for you the less armor you have...  ie completely worthless for weakly armored vehicles.)

(the B1 is brought up to 78mm for front/sides and  71.5mm for rear for this calculation.)

It goes way beyond my ability to figure out...     check here http://wiki.worldoft...#HE_Shells  for more info.

Just think about it this way... its only going to prevent a wee bit of damage...  youre better off dishing out more than the itty bitty bit you may/may not prevent by getting this.

killertu #44 Posted Jul 23 2013 - 16:34

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 9339 battles

View PostValundar, on Jul 23 2013 - 14:25, said:

From what ive read, this is incorrect.
What the spall liner is supposed to do is decrease the damage you take, AFTER it has been determined to be a non-pen or a splash hit.
It does absolutely nothing to prevent a pen in the 1st place.  

Think about it...   what the spall liner does is prevent damage from the explosion of he ouside your tank.  If the shot pens... the explosion is on the inside.... and the liner will do nothing.

And iirc...  how that works is it increases your armor values when determining the damage of the shot. (remember this is all about reducing damage from non-pen hits... not for the pen calculation)

if you have 100 armor, and a splash hits you, the heavy liner will make that armor act like 130 or so.... making the HE damage a bit less...  (remember it will do much less for you the less armor you have...  ie completely worthless for weakly armored vehicles.)

(the B1 is brought up to 78mm for front/sides and  71.5mm for rear for this calculation.)

It goes way beyond my ability to figure out... check here http://wiki.worldoft...#HE_Shells  for more info.

Just think about it this way... its only going to prevent a wee bit of damage...  youre better off dishing out more than the itty bitty bit you may/may not prevent by getting this.

Thank you, this is much more clarified  :smile:

Valundar #45 Posted Jul 23 2013 - 16:43

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 35951 battles
  • [DHO] DHO
oh, i also think that the spall liners help for the calculations during a ram.  soo it will help you out if you ram your opponents/get rammed by your opponents a lot.

killertu #46 Posted Jul 23 2013 - 18:31

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 9339 battles

View PostValundar, on Jul 23 2013 - 16:43, said:

oh, i also think that the spall liners help for the calculations during a ram.  soo it will help you out if you ram your opponents/get rammed by your opponents a lot.

The b1 is a heavy already, and I often use it to ram,it's fine without the spall.

nublex #47 Posted Jul 24 2013 - 13:19

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 17549 battles
105 have ~53mm pen, so it would work quite well on bad hits, i.e. over 50% of shots.

But so long those TDs doesn't get cocky with their derp, they wouldn't have much trouble against you alone.

View PostSeraphil, on Jul 23 2013 - 01:40, said:

Uhhhh, first you say B1 gets pwned by 57mm... then you turn around and say the opposite for the BDR which has about the same overall armor.
Only in stats. BDR have a much better hull shape and space armour on the side.

B1 on the other hand, having its hull uncover by tracks.

View PostSeraphil, on Jul 23 2013 - 01:40, said:

Just like you, I'm talking about people who actually know how to aim; the 57mm is a deadly weapon for such a player.
In that case, B1 is just a slow target.

_Panzer9_ #48 Posted Jul 25 2013 - 15:38

Major

• Players
  • 23608 battles
  • [-G-] -G-

View Postnublex, on Jul 24 2013 - 13:19, said:

105 have ~53mm pen, so it would work quite well on bad hits, i.e. over 50% of shots.

But so long those TDs doesn't get cocky with their derp, they wouldn't have much trouble against you alone.

Only in stats. BDR have a much better hull shape and space armour on the side.

B1 on the other hand, having its hull uncover by tracks.

In that case, B1 is just a slow target.
Please stop, you have a 47% w/l rate in the B1, which is worse then my w/l rate overall. You really aren't qualified to talk about the talk aboutwhat is good/not good about the tank.

To everyone else, I appreciate the help, I'd do it myself, but I don't have acess to WoT ATM. I'm curretly writeing a guide to the T-70, which will be posted *soon*.

killertu #49 Posted Jul 25 2013 - 19:14

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 9339 battles

View PostPanzer9Supertiger, on Jul 25 2013 - 15:38, said:

Please stop, you have a 47% w/l rate in the B1, which is worse then my w/l rate overall. You really aren't qualified to talk about the talk aboutwhat is good/not good about the tank.

To everyone else, I appreciate the help, I'd do it myself, but I don't have acess to WoT ATM. I'm curretly writeing a guide to the T-70, which will be posted *soon*.

Ohhh, do my stats :D

nublex #50 Posted Jul 26 2013 - 00:36

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 17549 battles

View PostPanzer9Supertiger, on Jul 25 2013 - 15:38, said:

I finish the grind in 48 games, average experience 215 vs 132 of server average. I would also like to reminded you server average is 44% winrate.

_Panzer9_ #51 Posted Jul 26 2013 - 01:14

Major

• Players
  • 23608 battles
  • [-G-] -G-

View Postnublex, on Jul 26 2013 - 00:36, said:

I finish the grind in 48 games, average experience 215 vs 132 of server average. I would also like to reminded you server average is 44% winrate.
No, it's 52.4%. Even if the server average WAS 44%, you got 47%. I got 54%. If you saw an arguement between a 47%er and a 54%er, who do you think is right? I don't mean to be high and mighty here, but seriously, I don't think you really know the tank. You seem like decent player overall Perhaps it really doesn't fit your playstyle. I know the feeling, I have a 42% w/l rate on my Tiger H. Does that mean it's a POS? No, it's just it doesn't fit my playstyle. Same applies here.

View Postkillertu, on Jul 25 2013 - 19:14, said:

Ohhh, do my stats :D
Q.Q 55% w/l rate in the B1, 1.8k battles in it, AND a mastery badge? You should have written this  :teethhappy:

Edited by Panzer9Supertiger, Jul 26 2013 - 01:17.

killertu #52 Posted Jul 26 2013 - 02:39

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 9339 battles

View PostPanzer9Supertiger, on Jul 26 2013 - 01:14, said:

No, it's 52.4%. Even if the server average WAS 44%, you got 47%. I got 54%. If you saw an arguement between a 47%er and a 54%er, who do you think is right? I don't mean to be high and mighty here, but seriously, I don't think you really know the tank. You seem like decent player overall Perhaps it really doesn't fit your playstyle. I know the feeling, I have a 42% w/l rate on my Tiger H. Does that mean it's a POS? No, it's just it doesn't fit my playstyle. Same applies here.

Q.Q 55% w/l rate in the B1, 1.8k battles in it, AND a mastery badge? You should have written this :teethhappy:

Lol,I used to upload video of me playing and give advise quite alots around here :P your guide isn't to bad too :glasses: I even wrote a love song about the B1 and got into the parody finalist :P

nublex #53 Posted Jul 27 2013 - 12:18

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 17549 battles

Play B2 a lot in beta, actually.

I would admit I didn't spend much time with it, but in general other tier IV tanks are more enjoyable, if not the predecessor or the successor along the line, or other heavy tanks.

pepe_trueno #54 Posted Jul 27 2013 - 17:49

Major

• Players
  • 41451 battles

Q.Q 55% w/l rate in the B1, 1.8k battles in it, AND a mastery badge? You should have written this  :teethhappy:

acording to wot news the avg is of 47% and as i said before is not that the tanks dosent fit "x" person style is more about the tank being outclases by every other tank out there, it has simply nothing to offer.

low pen pea shooter gun + low speed is just bad sinergy. and is not like the tank has good armor like the matilda, olmost half the front is a weakspot  :sceptic:

the fact only 2 persons on the NA server had over 300 batles in it before the heavy marathon atrack all the gold diggers should be proof enought that te tank has nothing to offer.

all WG needs to do is replace the model with the b1 ter that actualy has good armor, replace the 47mm with a 57mm 6 pounders and then give it a t4 normal MM.

Wyvern2 #55 Posted Jul 27 2013 - 18:38

Major

• Players
  • 35835 battles
  • [_D_] _D_
The OP's post pretty much shows how to use the B1 to the best of its miserable capabilities, but fact remains that the B1 is a POS. Theres nothing it does better then the matilda or even the valentine/amx 40 for that matter other then having a bigger hp pool. I managed to outfight a sher-derp and alecto with it singlehandedly, that still doesnt make it a good tank. The pen is pathetic and the armor is easy to pen at almost any angle if you're not using a derp or a low end tier 3 gun.

killertu #56 Posted Jul 27 2013 - 20:39

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 9339 battles

View Postpepe_trueno, on Jul 27 2013 - 17:49, said:

acording to wot news the avg is of 47% and as i said before is not that the tanks dosent fit "x" person style is more about the tank being outclases by every other tank out there, it has simply nothing to offer.

low pen pea shooter gun + low speed is just bad sinergy. and is not like the tank has good armor like the matilda, olmost half the front is a weakspot :sceptic:

the fact only 2 persons on the NA server had over 300 batles in it before the heavy marathon atrack all the gold diggers should be proof enought that te tank has nothing to offer.

all WG needs to do is replace the model with the b1 ter that actualy has good armor, replace the 47mm with a 57mm 6 pounders and then give it a t4 normal MM.

Errr, I almost have 2k battle on the B1 :| I didn't even know about the heavy marathon thinggy :(

View PostWyvern2, on Jul 27 2013 - 18:38, said:

The OP's post pretty much shows how to use the B1 to the best of its miserable capabilities, but fact remains that the B1 is a POS. Theres nothing it does better then the matilda or even the valentine/amx 40 for that matter other then having a bigger hp pool. I managed to outfight a sher-derp and alecto with it singlehandedly, that still doesnt make it a good tank. The pen is pathetic and the armor is easy to pen at almost any angle if you're not using a derp or a low end tier 3 gun.

All 3 of those tank aren't very mobile, the amx and valentine can't pen the B1. Even though matilda armor is impressive and a pain to take out,it does have a weak spot in front with is isn't very hard to pen, it slow speed also make it easy for the B1 to flank that mat.Gun isn't that good,yes,but I been able to pen at every tank,even at level 6(I enjoy platoon the B1 in higher tier), mine gun able to reload in 1.98 seconds so even if it doesn't pen it still very forgiven. Here are some replay of me vs several tank . The B1 is not a bad tank,it's just need alot of love :teethhappy:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=tzG89GfTIWM

Love song for the B1 :P

Edited by killertu, Jul 27 2013 - 21:04.

pepe_trueno #57 Posted Jul 27 2013 - 21:11

Major

• Players
  • 41451 battles

View Postkillertu, on Jul 27 2013 - 20:39, said:

Errr, I almost have 2k battle on the B1 :| I didn't even know about the heavy marathon thinggy :(

i check the stats before the marathon, only 2 guys had over 300 battles and was like 340 and 320 :sceptic:  

View Postkillertu, on Jul 27 2013 - 20:39, said:

All 3 of those tank aren't very mobile, the amx and valentine can't pen the B1. Even though matilda armor is impressive and a pain to take out,it does have a weak spot in front with is isn't very hard to pen, it slow speed also make it easy for the B1 to flank that mat.Gun isn't that good,yes,but I been able to pen at every tank,even at level 6(I enjoy platoon the B1 in higher tier), mine gun able to reload in 1.98 seconds so even if it doesn't pen it still very forgiven. Here are some replay of me vs several tank Alone. The B1 is not a bad tank,it's just need alot of love :teethhappy:

with 110 pen valentine has no problem penning the b1 unless he happends to be shooting your side in a very akward angle, even then b1 turret armor is not that thick,plus the cupula that can get penned by 30mm pen autocannons!

amx will strugle a bit more if heavily angled but even then they can still go for turret

sure i have flanked with a BP too but seriusly if they are getting flanked by a tank with a max speed of 28km/h well..   :teethhappy:

Edited by pepe_trueno, Jul 27 2013 - 21:13.

killertu #58 Posted Jul 27 2013 - 21:17

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 9339 battles

View Postpepe_trueno, on Jul 27 2013 - 21:11, said:

i check the stats before the marathon, only 2 guys had over 300 battles and was like 340 and 320 :sceptic:  

with 110 pen valentine has no problem penning the b1 unless he happends to be shooting your side in a very akward angle, even then b1 turret armor is not that thick,plus the cupula that can get penned by 30mm pen autocannons!

amx will strugle a bit more if heavily angled but even then they can still go for turret

sure i have flanked with a BP too but seriusly if they are getting flanked by a tank with a max speed of 28km/h well..   :teethhappy:

Hey now,my B1 have smooth ride and brother in arm ,it help alots :P

also,where did you check the stats at?

Edited by killertu, Jul 27 2013 - 21:25.

pepe_trueno #59 Posted Jul 27 2013 - 21:25

Major

• Players
  • 41451 battles

View Postkillertu, on Jul 27 2013 - 21:17, said:

Hey now,my B1 have smooth ride and brother in arm ,it help alots :P

still 28 km/h  :teethhappy:

only saving grace is people autoaim and shoot the track side where armor + track make it quite tought to pen hence those matchs with sick amount of pen no dmg or bounces. i mean loo your last video, only reason you win is becouse half their team keep shooting there, anyone with a clue would have take advantage of your side, shoot the door or the grill and welcome to world of ammo rack/fire folowed by a nice boom  :teethhappy:

i check them in:

http://wot-news.com/...rver/us/norm/en

Spoiler                     

Edited by pepe_trueno, Jul 27 2013 - 21:35.

killertu #60 Posted Jul 27 2013 - 21:29

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 9339 battles

View Postpepe_trueno, on Jul 27 2013 - 21:25, said:

still 28 km/h  :teethhappy:

only saving grace is people autoaim and shoot the track side where armor + track make it quite tought to pen hence those matchs with sick amount of pen no dmg or bounces. i mean loo your last video, only reason you win is becouse half their team keep shooting there, anyone with a clue would have take advantage of your side, shoot the door or the grill and welcome to world of ammo rack/fire folowed by a nice boom  :teethhappy:

But you forgot,it's low tier, alots of newbie :teethhappy: Also,we react different in the heat of the moment

Also tagged with B1, guide

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users