Jump to content


Tiger II Impressions


  • This topic is locked This topic is locked
141 replies to this topic

Nexis234 #21 Posted Jan 11 2011 - 09:58

    Sergeant

  • Beta Testers
  • 24 battles
  • 102
  • Member since:
    07-27-2010
this tank is too weak! It dies to easy! And the tracks fall off way to much.

MasterofGrond #22 Posted Jan 11 2011 - 11:58

    Sergeant

  • Beta Testers
  • 5439 battles
  • 162
  • [GOP] GOP
  • Member since:
    08-07-2010
I have no complaints with the KT. I feel like I do better with it than an IS-3, though I do have much more experience with the KT so i may just be better adjusted to it.

My only complaint is that the turret is too porous. I abused this when fighting KTs and now that I have one it's even more noticeable. Other than that, it's glorious.

grdja #23 Posted Jan 11 2011 - 18:56

    Sergeant

  • Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
  • 144
  • Member since:
    08-01-2010
Turret is to weak, gun mantle even more so. By now I'm disappointed when any my 130mm+ pen gun fails to pen or at list crit a KT turret. Its likely that hitbox should be checked again for possibly errors on sloping angles and such. This tank has a far too fragile turret for a T8 heavy. Maybe "shell normalization" should be removed or lowered.

Lert #24 Posted Jan 11 2011 - 19:41

    Major

  • Beta Testers
  • 44693 battles
  • 25,716
  • Member since:
    09-02-2010
I love my King Tiger. I love it so much after 393 battles that I'm not even going to sell it to fund my VK4502.

mastermind #25 Posted Jan 11 2011 - 23:42

    Private

  • Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
  • 8
  • Member since:
    09-03-2010
I love My King Tiger but it's a bit weak...You cant penetrate a ferdinand  and the 105 is very weak when you compare it to other tank...but all other tanks are only "Prototype" in reality... I think it's why they are too much powered but I love my King Tiger for sure :P and I play all time in a platoon of 3 KT ahahah We rocks !

Hornet331 #26 Posted Jan 12 2011 - 16:45

    Staff sergeant

  • Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
  • 492
  • Member since:
    07-31-2010

View PostMasterMind, on Jan 11 2011 - 23:42, said:

I love My King Tiger but it's a bit weak...You cant penetrate a ferdinand  and the 105 is very weak when you compare it to other tank...but all other tanks are only "Prototype" in reality... I think it's why they are too much powered but I love my King Tiger for sure :P and I play all time in a platoon of 3 KT ahahah We rocks !

You can, at 2 places -> gun mantel (quite large, and easy to hit form 150m, even form 200m), and lower front plate. Both can be penetrated by T8 guns. (long 88, M3, D25-T)

Lito #27 Posted Jan 12 2011 - 20:35

    Corporal

  • Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
  • 61
  • Member since:
    09-12-2010
I like my Tiger. From the start i didnt like it but when i got my 10,5 L68 mmmm. Its just awesome. Only "-" is the mantlet.  :Smile_harp:

Vahal #28 Posted Jan 14 2011 - 00:45

    Staff sergeant

  • Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
  • 322
  • Member since:
    08-18-2010
The thing I don't/can't understand is WHY 105 T5E1 do 360 average damages when 105L52/68 do only 320? (yes I know it has better penetration but dmg was said to be a caliber matter)

Superspeed007 #29 Posted Jan 14 2011 - 04:55

    Major

  • -Players-
  • 14009 battles
  • 3,326
  • [REL-V] REL-V
  • Member since:
    07-09-2010
for whoever was wondering if they should get the short 105, get the gun it is far better than the 88, for those who got the tank or are about to get it, don't give up I'm about to get the long 105, once you get the tracks and the top engine the tank will maneuver well, with the upgraded turret it will bounce shots, or at least i've not run into someone who shot the right place in the front, just keep the turret pointed at the enemy and there is a fair chance of bouncing shells are tier 8 and down or weak tier 9 tank's guns will bounce as well, i really don't have any complaints about the tank other than the times where the tracks get taken out 3,4,5,6+ times in a row will make you rage, but with a 100% crew and a tool box it won't slow you down that much, also for the td's that are jagdpanther and down the short 105 will go right through their armor, even the front, recently i've taken on several jagdpanthers and tore them apart with the short 105, although the ferdi's are not fun so I usually shoot them with HE's till i get a shot at the side of the ferdi then the gun will penetrate, i'm curious as to how the long 105 will do on td front armor, i'm guessing more bounces than hits but we shall see :)

long story short - don't give up, great tank, love it a lot

shark101au #30 Posted Jan 17 2011 - 07:09

    Corporal

  • Beta Testers
  • 2188 battles
  • 28
  • Member since:
    09-16-2010

View Postsuperspeed07, on Jan 14 2011 - 04:55, said:

for whoever was wondering if they should get the short 105, get the gun it is far better than the 88, for those who got the tank or are about to get it, don't give up I'm about to get the long 105, once you get the tracks and the top engine the tank will maneuver well, with the upgraded turret it will bounce shots, or at least i've not run into someone who shot the right place in the front, just keep the turret pointed at the enemy and there is a fair chance of bouncing shells are tier 8 and down or weak tier 9 tank's guns will bounce as well, i really don't have any complaints about the tank other than the times where the tracks get taken out 3,4,5,6+ times in a row will make you rage, but with a 100% crew and a tool box it won't slow you down that much, also for the td's that are jagdpanther and down the short 105 will go right through their armor, even the front, recently i've taken on several jagdpanthers and tore them apart with the short 105, although the ferdi's are not fun so I usually shoot them with HE's till i get a shot at the side of the ferdi then the gun will penetrate, i'm curious as to how the long 105 will do on td front armor, i'm guessing more bounces than hits but we shall see :)

long story short - don't give up, great tank, love it a lot

Even with the upgraded turret, it is still extremely porous. At least half the shots which hit it penetrate from tier 6 up. Apart from that there is the module damage whihc at least once every 2 games my gun gets destroyed, even from small tanks. As well the comaflage values for the KT are almsot non existant, it is problem the easiest tank to spot even using a camo net and a full crew trained in camo.
105mm long barrel gun is goo though I like it.

Vahal #31 Posted Jan 17 2011 - 07:45

    Staff sergeant

  • Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
  • 322
  • Member since:
    08-18-2010
KT has one of the worst visibility in game. Camo skill and camo net will not help you a lot. Spotted = gibbed. don't expect an historical accuracy, they follow what USSR books and fanboys said about KT and all german tanks.  :rolleyes:

Ferdi, shot on low front hull, shot the mantlet (as the KT and german tanks) and it will cry. But you need a decent accuracy and it's not really the best asset of the 105L52.

snowmen10 #32 Posted Jan 17 2011 - 07:54

    Sergeant

  • Beta Testers
  • 2129 battles
  • 126
  • Member since:
    09-16-2010
I like KT for the historical reason.

I did find KT a bit hard to use to begin with; however, I'm fine with it now

RNGesus_Giveth #33 Posted Jan 17 2011 - 07:56

    Staff sergeant

  • Beta Testers
  • 21590 battles
  • 261
  • [F0XEY] F0XEY
  • Member since:
    08-02-2010
The King Tiger was, by far, my favorite tank in the game. Those who constantly say "its tracks fall off" or that it is "easily spotted" are not being objective. ANY tank in this game will have its tracks fall (Leopard, IS-7, Ausf B, literally anything) off when they are directly pierced by an AP round or sustain sufficient damage from an HE shell (direct or indirect). Of course, the larger a threat you are, the more likely it is that people will aim for your sides and tracks -- your weak spots. Knowledgeable enemies understand that your turret is not extremely fast, and being trackless is crippling. It's also worth noting that when an enemy attempted to shoot your sides, they "accidentally" got your tracks instead of dealing you a huge blow to your HP/modules. It is imperative that, when fighting with any such tank, that you only display your frontal hull and turret armor to prevent excessive tracking and damage. The Tiger II was never really designed to rush into the heat of a raging close-quarters battle; there's a reason why it has such an accurate gun!

The Tiger II is easily spotted because it's huge. It's a tall and fairly wide tank, especially in comparison to many lower tiers. You cannot beg for historical accuracy and fairness and then complain that the Tiger II is more easily spotted than the much lower profile IS-3, which has a flatter/rounder turret that results in a tank that's lower to the ground.

I never noticed that my Tiger II caught fire more than most other tanks. In the hundreds of battles I've fought with it, I can only recall just a handful of fires -- most of which did not result in a fatality. However, I once one-shot killed a Tiger II with my US T-20 by hitting its fuel tank and causing it to explode.

The 1030 credit/shell cost is definitely high, but it's still possible to make a decent profit of winning battles with the Tiger II. Aim carefully, and make your shots count!


The KT is a fearsome foe, but only in the hands of someone who knows how to properly use it. If you rush across the map in your KT, the stationary enemy will see you well before you see them. They can track you and you'll helplessly sit there as you are pounded by 14 invisible enemy guns. The sides and rear of the KT are particularly "squishy" when compared to the frontal turret/hull armor, so it's extremely important that you face enemies head-on with a KT. I've gone head-to-head with IS-3s and won because they'd bounce off my turret, then I'd back up and fire at them, then put my turret up to their face again so they'd have nothing else to fire at.

robot #34 Posted Jan 17 2011 - 11:37

    Sergeant

  • Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
  • 142
  • Member since:
    11-06-2010

View PostdotMark, on Jan 17 2011 - 07:56, said:

I've gone head-to-head with IS-3s and won because they'd bounce off my turret, then I'd back up and fire at them, then put my turret up to their face again so they'd have nothing else to fire at.

LOL. Either you got your tanks mixed up, you're being sarcastic, or you're incredibly (insert insult here). You want to face hug an IS-3 in a KT?

You put your KT's "..turret up to their face again so they'd have nothing else to fire at."?!

Duuuh! It's the other way round, you twit.

Seriously. You have given the IS-3 his biggest advantage, while at the same time you're negating your own KT's advantage and presenting nothing but your biggest frontal weak spot to him.

That's what I do in my IS-3 against a KT. I try to hug KTs all the time. Facing a KT frontally at close range, I shoot at nothing but their turret. And if you face hug me instead, all the better, you just saved me the trouble of maneuvering. I will not let you back off, you can bounce off my turret all day long while I shoot your face off aiming at the hole of your paper gun mantle.

Vahal #35 Posted Jan 17 2011 - 14:37

    Staff sergeant

  • Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
  • 322
  • Member since:
    08-18-2010
Facehug IS3 in KT:
->KT can't aim the weakspot of IS3 (the hull).
->IS3 can't miss the weakspot of KT (the entire turret and especially the big fat mantlet). Manage to turn the turret to avoid mantlet shot will just expose the turret side who are weaker than the mantlet, great idea!  :Smile_great:

I laughed. The IS3 driver was unlucky/bad  :lol:

Swataia #36 Posted Jan 17 2011 - 16:39

    Private

  • Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
  • 6
  • Member since:
    11-15-2010
Please devs FIX THE TURRET!!!  :(

The side of the turret doesn't bounce anything. How can a projectile come thru 80mm of steel in angle of 10-20% and not bounce. I mean shots that come directly from straight line at the front comes thru. Every other tank will bounce these shots but not KT. Same thing with roof, it just eats those shots  :angry:

Hornet331 #37 Posted Jan 17 2011 - 17:32

    Staff sergeant

  • Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
  • 492
  • Member since:
    07-31-2010

View PostdotMark, on Jan 17 2011 - 07:56, said:



The KT is a fearsome foe, but only in the hands of someone who knows how to properly use it. If you rush across the map in your KT, the stationary enemy will see you well before you see them. They can track you and you'll helplessly sit there as you are pounded by 14 invisible enemy guns. The sides and rear of the KT are particularly "squishy" when compared to the frontal turret/hull armor, so it's extremely important that you face enemies head-on with a KT. I've gone head-to-head with IS-3s and won because they'd bounce off my turret, then I'd back up and fire at them, then put my turret up to their face again so they'd have nothing else to fire at.

Something is wrong here... even with the D25T a IS3 shouldn't bounce on the turret, espcial when you face hug him...

RNGesus_Giveth #38 Posted Jan 17 2011 - 18:42

    Staff sergeant

  • Beta Testers
  • 21590 battles
  • 261
  • [F0XEY] F0XEY
  • Member since:
    08-02-2010
Errr, one massive omission: it cannot be a fully upgraded IS-3, haha -- cannot have its highest-level gun. Although, I've done the face-hugging thing against weakened IS-3s and it worked flawlessly. I always used the 10.5cm on my KT, so I could usually penetrate their turret at point-blank rage.

TBH, this method works best against incompetent IS-3 drivers who use auto-aim and aren't using the fully-upgraded weapon. This seems to constitute a surprising number of the opponents I've faced. http://forum.worldof...mile-tongue.gif

alm80 #39 Posted Jan 18 2011 - 07:29

    Staff sergeant

  • Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
  • 334
  • Member since:
    08-16-2010
KT is weaker than IS-3 in every possible aspect (may be not accuracy, but who cares). It's slower, worse shaped armor, less damage gun (penetration advantage doesn't count for much when the tank is forced to shoot at extreme ranges and lose penetration). On top of that the devs had to bring a totally artificial paper thin mantel which allows tier 5-6 tanks to take out a gun or a gunner by aiming at what was supposed to be the strongest part of the armor. In several battles I literally didn't have a hit without some kind of critical damage. VK3601 shooting my frontal armor, dealing meager 20HP damage and destroying the gun was priceless. The tank also rarely bounces anything. If you are lucky (or the enemy is incompetent) you will bounce off the lower hull armor, but everyone and their dog already know where to shoot a King Tiger - a paper tiger.

nickiiepoO #40 Posted Jan 18 2011 - 07:50

    Corporal

  • Beta Testers
  • 7223 battles
  • 47
  • Member since:
    10-04-2010
The Henschel (spelling?) turret is possibly a downgrade from the Porsche turret. With the P turret, you're much more maneuverable (IMO) due to it being lighter hence faster acceleration and better cornering speed (again IMO), faster rotation speed, the P turret also gives you a chance of bouncing shots. Although low but it's still better than not bouncing shells off at all and it can mount all the guns on the KT. The H turret offers none of these advantages, the only advantage it gives is a meager 200 HP and I think we can all agree that Armour > HP. Yes, the H turret has better armour on paper but the P turret offers better armour in practice. Everybody should take off the H turret and put the P turret on, it doesn't remove all the 'bugs' on the KT but it will give you a tiny bit of extra survivability.

I scratches my head at the Dev's stupidity sometimes,
Nick.

p.s. My gunner JUST got killed by a M4 Sherman, a FUCKING M4 Sherman. Not the M4A2E1 or whatever, the vanilla Sherman! First shot to the gun mantle, his one and only shot before he got slaughtered by my team. Oh before you ask, my team weren't rushing, the Sherman rushed in by himself. This just goes to show how bad the KT turret is.

Too much swearing and dev insults. Roed 7 days. /Tanitha




1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users