Why there is no real hacking in WoT

• Please log in to reply
354 replies to this topic

georgewashington1775 #21 Posted Jul 19 2013 - 21:28

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 19351 battles
Good write up Lert. It's nice to know the details of why this game is not hackable. Now back to trolling the ragers

popcanguy #22 Posted Jul 19 2013 - 21:48

Corporal

• Players
  • 15026 battles
  • [TRKE] TRKE

View PostSilkySmooth, on Jul 19 2013 - 19:11, said:

Sorry Lert - I have picture proof of how Garbad hacks!

Spoiler                     

Good write up Lert. The problem is that those that need to read this will not. And the tinfoil hat army will not believe it. But great try.

Failed spoiler damn.

didn't know Garbad is a scientologist, maybe that's why he is so good@tanks

PG908 #23 Posted Jul 20 2013 - 04:59

Captain

• Players
  • 8018 battles
  • [BURDY] BURDY
Not to mention that it'd maybe just cause a little bit of lag when you did super-hack (because the server now has to do special stuff for just your tank... Something along those lines in that it's an  from the norm and required diferre t process to calculate resulting in a possible delay. And you can hack human reflexes either)

Oh, you could adress tanks you can't get anymore, I'm sure someone screamed "HAX" when they saw the Mutant or KV220

BaerenGott #24 Posted Jul 20 2013 - 14:09

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 22418 battles
  • [7CR] 7CR
wait...what if I secretly rerouted everyone on the NA server through Telia.net, but routed myself AROUND Telia.net?  I'd be faster than everyone...

heh heh,

BaerenGott #25 Posted Jul 20 2013 - 14:11

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 22418 battles
  • [7CR] 7CR

View PostSilkySmooth, on Jul 19 2013 - 19:11, said:

Sorry Lert - I have picture proof of how Garbad hacks!

Spoiler                     

Good write up Lert. The problem is that those that need to read this will not. And the tinfoil hat army will not believe it. But great try.

Failed spoiler damn.

Garbad is way more...rotund...than little Tommie Cruise.  Yer prufe is pwned!

Tiger_23 #26 Posted Jul 20 2013 - 14:25

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 8645 battles
I'm full of hacks

hacks link.

therusty #27 Posted Jul 20 2013 - 15:19

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 10777 battles
  • [4FREE] 4FREE
[Content removed]

View PostLert, on Jul 19 2013 - 19:03, said:

A hack is a modification to game files that would give the hacker a tangible, unfair advantage over honest players.

[Content removed]

Linking illegal content
Warning issued
~GM/Mod Teams

Preddy_ #28 Posted Jul 20 2013 - 15:48

Major

• Players
  • 9629 battles
  • [T-F-Z] T-F-Z

View Postyo2u, on Jul 19 2013 - 19:12, said:

These are all lies. How do you explain the existence of sub-40%ers? Also, Ive seen IOC hack.
So logic does not phase you ?

Preddy_ #29 Posted Jul 20 2013 - 15:54

Major

• Players
  • 9629 battles
  • [T-F-Z] T-F-Z

View PostBigWoolyMammoth, on Jul 19 2013 - 19:29, said:

Mods = poor mans hax
Mods = game play better

DeadlyDays #30 Posted Jul 20 2013 - 18:45

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 12850 battles
  • [D-INC] D-INC
hey naow, all you need to do is break into the game server, locate the specific server thread/s/processes for your specific battle instance, and modify it in real time + the memory stored in ram, with only dozens and dozens of design features inherit in the operating system, application, and the code itself that specifically block that kind of access.

peice of cake

and if IOC hacks, why are they so bad.

Edited by DeadlyDays, Jul 20 2013 - 18:46.

zepwner #31 Posted Jul 20 2013 - 19:30

Corporal

• Players
  • 3703 battles
game can be hacked in different ways, despite server side.

example: wallhack.  instead of having to mouse over to see an enemy highlighted in red, this can be hacked to be always on, with color changes the indicate whether or not a person is behind an object and can't be hit.

aimbots are still more than possible as well.

I also think there's a glitch going around, because I've come across at least 2 people who, no matter where you hit them, no matter what round you use, armor piercing or explosive, all the shots taken at them fail.  I literally put over 20 rounds into this one guy (not an exaggeration) and they did no damage whatsoever.

cheaters will find a way, and the more people think there can't be cheaters, the easier it is for cheaters to fly in under the radar when no one second guesses.

Edited by zepwner, Jul 20 2013 - 19:30.

Lionheart1917 #32 Posted Jul 21 2013 - 02:40

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 3261 battles
I really wish COD; WAW had a server side client; the number of hackers ruining the game (as in, it's so difficult to find a match that has no one who's invincible or shooting you with a pointed finger that's it's almost impossible to play) is ridiculous, and all Treyarch, Microsoft and Activision do is pass the buck when people try to get them to fix the game.

There are hackers in Runescape as well (mostly people who use bots to get wood, fish, ore, and other bleep), but at least the mods there actually care about it.

Edited by Lionheart1917, Jul 21 2013 - 02:42.

DeadlyDays #33 Posted Jul 21 2013 - 04:05

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 12850 battles
  • [D-INC] D-INC
running a FPS game server side is really tricky due to latency among multiple clients, and the sheer server power required to host a decent amount of players is also tricky without massive optimizations.

and hacking specifically refers to editing game code(illegitimatly, modding is legitimate code editing), What you are refering to is cheating/boting, which is completely different from hacking. Not to be confused with glitching, which is using ingame bugs to gain unfair advantage in a way not intended by developers.

though there are probably some passive hacking you can do to gain some information you are not meant to know but is available in the memory in a hidden way, and this could be taken advantage of to create bots, but the overhead to running a good bot using that would be pretty large i imagine. And you are really limited if you have bad stats in this game, because being in good clans is a lot more fun than being in a scrub clan, and good clans generally don't accept bad stat players.

the NA server however doesn't currently regulate mods, so I'm not sure itd be considered hacking as it is not banned by WG yet, they are just really advanced mods.

Edited by DeadlyDays, Jul 21 2013 - 04:09.

zepwner #34 Posted Jul 21 2013 - 04:49

Corporal

• Players
  • 3703 battles
here's another possibility of cheating:

all weapons have a 'zero in' time, where their accuracy gets better.  since this is entirely client side, it's possible to cheat and remove this effect entirely to have 100% accurate aim, even while moving.

this would essentially be game breaking.  so you see, running everything from server side, isn't going to stop most cheats.  furthermore, textures and such can be altered in memory.

so when you think no one is cheating, cheats can run rampant.  just like if a bank thinks its vault is 100% secure...but when they go to look inside, they find all the money is gone.

the extent of cheating, is hard to know, but I guarantee there's cheating in this game to some degree.  the only reason why it isn't blatantly rampant is because the game isn't popular enough..but even unpopular games are often hacked at some point.

the only thing running from server side actually stops, is people knowing where enemies are at across the entire map at all times.  but that's made kind of moot by the things server side can't stop.

the debate shouldn't be if cheaters exist, the debate should be how to handle it.

in fact, a quick search reveals there's whole sections of very active gaming cheat forums dedicated to cheats for world of tanks, so it's not a question of if cheaters exist.

Edited by zepwner, Jul 21 2013 - 04:58.

DeadlyDays #35 Posted Jul 21 2013 - 22:29

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 12850 battles
  • [D-INC] D-INC
are you sure that isn't also calculated server side....

the visible effect is client side, but I'd have to think the aim time modifier is calculated with the trajectory server side. As far as I was aware your client sends player actions to the server, the server runs its own instance of the game, and just sends back the pertinent information.

zepwner, you don't seem to have enough games to be able to accurately judge game mechanics to even know if someone would be hacking in the first place. I've never, in over 11k games if you count beta, ever seen anything I'd consider hacking. There are however mods available, which are even linked in the wiki, for giving you additional information on screen during gameplay. While all this additional information helps, if you had 2 or more monitors you could easily duplicate most of these. There are no mod restrictions on the NA server as of yet as far as I am aware, so the more...dubious mods, such as no foilage mods(but then placing your tank in bushes is a bitch cuz you cant see bushes) are technically allowed still. But none of the mods currently available that I've found are game breaking, or give you a serious advantage. They are all very small things that help worse players more than better players. Hitbox mods aren't that useful for good players because we already know all the weakpoints and critical locations, bots are pointless because they screw your stats, because making a bot that doesn't suck balls in this game would take more work and overhead than its worth, white out wrecks are somewhat helpful, but only marginally.

I've yet to see any proof that someone has managed to get around the aim time requirement, or anything other game mechanic. However, there have been patches where such "hacks" did exist, though not currently, such as the tracer mod that let people autofind other tanks with a mod that tracked the tracer automatically. But this was patched, and a good player could duplicate this, and good players often did duplicate this feat.

Edited by DeadlyDays, Jul 21 2013 - 22:32.

zepwner #36 Posted Jul 22 2013 - 06:42

Corporal

• Players
  • 3703 battles

View PostDeadlyDays, on Jul 21 2013 - 22:29, said:

are you sure that isn't also calculated server side....

the visible effect is client side, but I'd have to think the aim time modifier is calculated with the trajectory server side. As far as I was aware your client sends player actions to the server, the server runs its own instance of the game, and just sends back the pertinent information.

zepwner, you don't seem to have enough games to be able to accurately judge game mechanics to even know if someone would be hacking in the first place. I've never, in over 11k games if you count beta, ever seen anything I'd consider hacking. There are however mods available, which are even linked in the wiki, for giving you additional information on screen during gameplay. While all this additional information helps, if you had 2 or more monitors you could easily duplicate most of these. There are no mod restrictions on the NA server as of yet as far as I am aware, so the more...dubious mods, such as no foilage mods(but then placing your tank in bushes is a bitch cuz you cant see bushes) are technically allowed still. But none of the mods currently available that I've found are game breaking, or give you a serious advantage. They are all very small things that help worse players more than better players. Hitbox mods aren't that useful for good players because we already know all the weakpoints and critical locations, bots are pointless because they screw your stats, because making a bot that doesn't suck balls in this game would take more work and overhead than its worth, white out wrecks are somewhat helpful, but only marginally.

I've yet to see any proof that someone has managed to get around the aim time requirement, or anything other game mechanic. However, there have been patches where such "hacks" did exist, though not currently, such as the tracer mod that let people autofind other tanks with a mod that tracked the tracer automatically. But this was patched, and a good player could duplicate this, and good players often did duplicate this feat.

I refuse to post links to cheat download websites, but as I said, if you look for yourself, you'll see there are whole forums dedicated to just cheating in world of tanks alone.   in fact, there's thousands of unique views/posts, which means thousands of people are on these sites.

in fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the user names of those posting in these cheat forums, match their in game usernames.

in fact, I will post a link to a person who made a cheat in the game just recently, who's name matches that of someones account in world of tanks....

http://worldoftanks....141-Martins259/

Posted Image

so right now it's safe to say that at least 122 people are running around spotting people that should be hidden by cover of foliage.  in fact, that explains a few suspicious players I've seen lately.  so it would seem that being able to spot people or not, is NOT determined server side.

Edited by zepwner, Jul 22 2013 - 06:47.

Butthead13 #37 Posted Jul 22 2013 - 08:43

Major

• Players
  • 6110 battles
Server side based or not, to ignore or argue that it is not possible without even considering the possibility that it can be done goes against all logical thinking...anything and everything is possible.  War Gaming itself has had its own fear of the very thing happening if anyone remembers as of late with the password change event, that was due to possible hacking.

Server side does not just apply to games, it also applies to financial institutions, intelligence gathering organizations and not to mention even governments just to name a few and they have all been hacked and I would dare say that their safety measures are most likely far more than some online game.

I have no proof that it can be hacked but at the same time those that blatantly argue saying that it cannot be hacked have no proof either, again...anything is possible, its possible that it can be and its possible that it cannot be.

Lert #38 Posted Jul 22 2013 - 11:50

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 43749 battles
  • [RELSH] RELSH

View Postzepwner, on Jul 22 2013 - 06:42, said:

so right now it's safe to say that at least 122 people are running around spotting people that should be hidden by cover of foliage.  in fact, that explains a few suspicious players I've seen lately.  so it would seem that being able to spot people or not, is NOT determined server side.
All that mod (Yes, it's a mod, not a hack) does is remove trees from the local client's rendering queue. IE, turn off displaying them. It doesn't affect spotting, which is server side. AFAIR the spotting system is the single biggest drain on server CPU-time.

M18_Hellkitty #39 Posted Jul 22 2013 - 12:12

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 5096 battles
  • [M18AD] M18AD

View Postzepwner, on Jul 22 2013 - 06:42, said:

I refuse to post links to cheat download websites, but as I said, if you look for yourself, you'll see there are whole forums dedicated to just cheating in world of tanks alone.   in fact, there's thousands of unique views/posts, which means thousands of people are on these sites.

in fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the user names of those posting in these cheat forums, match their in game usernames.

in fact, I will post a link to a person who made a cheat in the game just recently, who's name matches that of someones account in world of tanks....

http://worldoftanks....141-Martins259/

Posted Image

This does not actually make the trees and bushes disappear in the server side so that the game mechanics ran as if the camouflage bonuses weren't there at all. All it does is remove the trees/bushes from the player's screen. Therefore, it does nothing to give the player an unfair advantage apart from maybe giving them an increase in FPS. Saying that this is a hack is a bit like saying the way you can make the minimap disappear is a hack simply because you can see more of the battlefield.

osito2dancer #40 Posted Jul 22 2013 - 17:20

Corporal

• Players
  • 4254 battles

View PostVanagandr, on Jul 19 2013 - 20:41, said:

Is the point of this post to repeat exactly what I said? If so you've succeeded, although you've contributed nothing to the conversation.
I dont think i repeated what you said, but rather provided a more thorough explanation on how could a "hack" could work for someone, and illustrate on how "difficult" it could be to be successful. It is just naive to think that WoT could be impervious to vulnerabilities, but seems that WG can (and is) "well protected" against such attacks.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users