Jump to content


KV-1s vs T-150 vs KV-2

KV-1s T-150 KV-2

  • This topic is locked This topic is locked
34 replies to this topic

Carl #21 Posted Aug 27 2013 - 05:17

    Staff sergeant

  • Beta Testers
  • 6389 battles
  • 400
  • Member since:
    07-23-2010
An interesting topic that i have strong views on already though i've yet to play the KV-1s, though i've played a modest number of games in the others and really just need the money for the 1s.

KV2: Not a T6 tank. Not really anyway, the 107 and the 152 require it be kept out of T5, but other than that there's nothing about it that is worthy of T6. The 107 suffers from all the issues i'll mention in the T150 entry so i'll skip that here. The 152 is solid, but you need a good medium range firing position with plenty of covering fire and distraction. Properly played it's a lethal advesery, but slip up or just get a team that's either too competent (so you never get a good shot), or too bad at supporting you (so you get swarmed), and your total lack of armour or DPM will show and kill you stone dead.

T-150: The 107 has great RoF and the damage is very solid, overall great DPM. The good stuff ends there, the accuracy is terrible for sniping and only ok for general targeting at mid range. You need to be brawler range to hit weakpoints, and even then it doesn't always go where you want. It's also got a big enough circle when fully bloomed out that you still need to wait for it to tighten at anything more than point blank. This often leads to you not being able to fire as soon as it reloads even if there are plenty of willing targets as few stay fully exposed long enough for you to just hit the same target and the turret swinging around will screw your aim big time. In addition if there aren't a plethora of willing targets the often slower RoF of tier guns means that they'll only be exposed some of the time, meaning you may be limited to the same RoF. Cutting it's DPM advantage down or reversing it even.

The armour is so so. The copula on top makes poking just your turret over the top vastly more dangerous than with the KV-2 or KV-1S, and if people are targeting weakpoints the hull is just as papery, you also aren't going to deflect much off your sides unless it's an extreme angle. If someone engages you head on andauto aims it's great, but few do at this tier.

KV-1S: The one i have the least experience with however there are several obvious advantages, both on paper and observable from watching it in action. The biggest one is that raw Alpha, there's a number of tanks it can one or 2 shot reliably that the 107 needs an extra shot against, this means when in T6 matches it's often got higher real world DPM than the T-150 even if the targets are giving you a perfect shooting gallery to use the 107 on. It's also got a better turret in terms of poking over hills and it's much more mobile which makes it a far better brawler as it can get to the front and advantageous area's faster with less exposure and play duck and dodge with cover more quickly. It's gun has the same aim time and only marginally worse accuracy.


Overall i'd cautiously recommend the KV-1S to most people ATM, the T-150 requires good hands and a cooperative enemy to work, but when it does it's realy good, but the 1S is clearly going to be much more friendly with it's better damage per shot on the same aim time and better mobility. In platoons or Clan wars i suspect the T-50 can shine rather more as can the KV-2, but pubbies tend to make them have to work rather hard for their wins, which is pretty rough to play as unless you like frustration a lot.


My thoughts anyway.

blowwer282 #22 Posted Aug 27 2013 - 05:25

    Major

  • Players
  • 6376 battles
  • 6,983
  • Member since:
    05-24-2011
KV-2 is a remake of the KV-1 ( Duh :P ) but has a little more armour and Derp gun!


T-150 is a very decent tank, it's slow but has a very decent gun ... Also it's cheap in xp heh heh heh


KV-1S is basically a Heavy/Med tank with a huge gun. No it isn't O.P. because of the gun. It has a long reload speed which gives many players the choice to put shells in the KV or run away.

Sad_But_Drew #23 Posted Aug 27 2013 - 06:17

    Staff sergeant

  • Players
  • 23868 battles
  • 427
  • Member since:
    06-10-2013
KV-1S is the simplest to play.  Hide, find a target.  Duck out, settle, blast, get back in cover.  Reload, repeat.  It can't really lead a charge like the KV1 (or 150) do, and that reload can take a long time.  It's greatest strength is that it blends in with whatever tiers its with (doesn't play terribly different top middle or bottom).  Caught alone or in the open (like the Lee and Hellcat, it tends to be the first priority target), it dies.

The KV-1S can snipe a little, the KV-2 really has to, with slow speed and a sillouette that just can't really hide.  Biggest reason to get it before KV-150 is that it will make the later cheaper in XP.

KV-1S is rightly feared, but that's at least partly because it's hard to play "wrong", this is a tank made to peek-a-boom.  With some tanks, that's a bad choice, with this one it's tactic number one.

Other problem with the KV-1S, you need another heavy tank (or a very good team), to "carry".  The ROF is way slow and you can't afford to expose yourself for long.

agambadi #24 Posted Sep 03 2013 - 22:38

    Corporal

  • Players
  • 8294 battles
  • 32
  • Member since:
    04-16-2011
KV-1S is hands down the best tank of the bunch overall because of its speed, armour and gun.
I don't really know enough about the T-150 to express myself about it but it can't be better than the 1S.
The KV-2 is my favourite tank of the bunch because of how fun it is to drive and above all, shoot people with. Its trademark 152mm gun makes sure it's never irrelevant and pumps out large to massive extremely reliable damage. A well placed shot, some help from jesus and a good RNG roll will kill anything on your tier in one hit save for the TOG II who just gets most of his health taken out (I did 911 damage to one in one hit, enough to get him asking what just hit him in chat).

Wyvern2 #25 Posted Sep 04 2013 - 06:34

    Major

  • Players
  • 35835 battles
  • 3,124
  • [_D_] _D_
  • Member since:
    06-08-2011
The T150 is way better then the 1s, just have to think a little before acting, but tbh, its speed isnt half bad once your fully accelerated. And to whoever says its turret is weaker then the 1s's, i'd like to say thats not really true, its only real weakspot is the cupola, the 1s is weak everywhere except the central mantlet, making any shot with 150 pen and a modicum of aiming punch through like butter, whereas the T150's weakspot takes some skill to hit. All of the tanks have the same horrid fuel tanks, but the 1s seems to have a far weaker ammo rack then the T150, and the lack of hp can be devastating when you get in a shoot out or brawl. Although alpha is nice, ROF isn't and the T150's gun is by far the most balanced, and tbh, against anything but tier 8's the pen is adequate on both the 122 and 107, and if youre going head to head with tier 8's you screwed up already...
Also, although all of the tanks benefit from angling, the T150 benefits from angling the most with its passably strong front hull armor, compared to the 1s's weak plate that gets punched through by 75 pen guns.

Yes, the KV1s is the general favorite, but having lead tournament and TC teams to victory with some of the oddest, minimal to zero 1s teams, i can safely say its not needed, it just takes a little more thinking to get the most out of the other tank types, but their most is far better then a 1s's most.

atlmatt26 #26 Posted Sep 04 2013 - 06:58

    Sergeant

  • Players
  • 12594 battles
  • 236
  • Member since:
    01-06-2013
I'll throw some pennies in the jar :
  • KV1s - Nice Alpha, low'ish HP and slow ROF so need to be mindful that you can be a glass cannon mid-low tier. Works for me better in a platoon where I know I'll have covering fire during the reload. It's a good tank, but as most have commented, play it as a very high alpha medium rather than traditional heavy
  • KV2 - Straight lolz. Stupid long reload but the payoff is fantastic if you are accurate with your shots at mid/close range. You do NOT want to peek-a-boom with this guy, unless you're the kind of player that angles your camera to verify your target's cannon is NOT pointed your way. This tank is like the slutty chick in the bar - Hot as all get out and all the guys will come running after you to take you out (literally). This is my blow off steam tank, it's a ton of fun if you can live with it's glaring weaknesses to go with the gun's strong alpha and fear factor it induces in opponents who face it
  • T150 - My favorite as it plays all around evenly, has a very decent gun/ROF/Accuracy, and is trollish enough to brawl as needed. I felt the most relaxed playing this tank over the other 2

It's really all personal preference. I like to be able to flex a bit if the game is going south and the T150 seems to give that ability to me solo. Platooned, I'm going KV1s. Bad day of tanks, break out the kv2 and win or lose, you land 1 good shot and it's worth the lols.

Pennies rattling....

bandman29 #27 Posted Sep 13 2013 - 23:09

    Corporal

  • Players
  • 14326 battles
  • 33
  • Member since:
    03-04-2013
I have had the T-150 for three days now and since my wife has been away visiting her family for those three days, I have had time to upgrade everything but the engine.  So far, I am disappointed.  The 107 mm is slow to reload, even when you have the gun rammer.  Maybe compared to the 1S and KV2, its' ROF is faster, but when surrounded by three or four heavies, or even three mediums, the 107 doesn't cut it.  I have found myself covering three or four of my teammates, hanging back just a bit supporting them with covering shots, when before you know it, they are all dead and I am swarmed by 3, 4, or even 5 tanks coming at me from more than one direction.  In my KV1, I can cut down 2 or even 3 before they take me out, but in the T-150 I maybe get one, but as I sit and wait to reload, I take six to nine shots and get blown to pieces before I can take another shot.  I almost prefer the 85mm gun, since it reloads twice as fast.

I am going to have to rethink my strategies with this tank.  The ones I use now don't work too well.

Indranil09 #28 Posted Sep 17 2013 - 09:44

    Staff sergeant

  • Players
  • 24549 battles
  • 260
  • [-GF-] -GF-
  • Member since:
    04-07-2013
KV1s and T150 are way ahead than KV2 . KV2 is awfully slow.

Sorphius #29 Posted Sep 18 2013 - 12:24

    Major

  • Players
  • 20816 battles
  • 2,577
  • [F0XEY] F0XEY
  • Member since:
    11-17-2010

View PostIndranil09, on Sep 17 2013 - 09:44, said:

KV1s and T150 are way ahead than KV2 . KV2 is awfully slow.
Well considering it's essentially a SPG on a tank chassis...

Indranil09 #30 Posted Sep 19 2013 - 05:48

    Staff sergeant

  • Players
  • 24549 battles
  • 260
  • [-GF-] -GF-
  • Member since:
    04-07-2013

View PostSorphius, on Sep 18 2013 - 12:24, said:

Well considering it's essentially a SPG on a tank chassis...
I really love to play against KV2 and have killed them in many battles with my KV1S :D
everybody wants slow tanks to play against him/her and KV2 is super slow, Slow in speed, Slow turning, Slow turret rotation.

Edited by Indranil09, Sep 19 2013 - 05:57.


Sorphius #31 Posted Sep 20 2013 - 12:42

    Major

  • Players
  • 20816 battles
  • 2,577
  • [F0XEY] F0XEY
  • Member since:
    11-17-2010
FWIW... I got the KV-2 last night and it's LOLtastic, basically a SPG on a T-150 chassis.  My first-ever shot with the 152 one-shotted a KV-1S frontally.  Second one-shotted a Cromwell.

The 20+ second reload makes you vulnerable between shots, but if you stay close to your support and get behind cover while reloading it helps negate this downside.

I highly recommend this tank if for no other reason than the lol value.

Plato_1992 #32 Posted Oct 04 2013 - 18:25

    Sergeant

  • Players
  • 36656 battles
  • 101
  • Member since:
    01-14-2012
The T-150 is the training ground for a long and enjoyable time in the KV-3 and -4.  Play well in the T-150 and you will really come to love the "heavy" heavies.

weesh #33 Posted Oct 04 2013 - 18:54

    Major

  • Players
  • 13374 battles
  • 2,274
  • Member since:
    09-11-2012
T-150 is a solid tank.
KV-1s is very powerful, but harder to use.  It also leads to the IS-3.  You should probably get this one first, since it could be changing, and you want to get in on this.
For the KV-2, let me show you what I think of it with a picture:
Spoiler                     


Valundar #34 Posted Oct 04 2013 - 18:55

    Staff sergeant

  • Players
  • 36179 battles
  • 257
  • [DHO] DHO
  • Member since:
    07-29-2012

View PostCarl, on Aug 27 2013 - 05:17, said:

An interesting topic that i have strong views on already though i've yet to play the KV-1s, though i've played a modest number of games in the others and really just need the money for the 1s.

KV2: Not a T6 tank. Not really anyway, the 107 and the 152 require it be kept out of T5, but other than that there's nothing about it that is worthy of T6. The 107 suffers from all the issues i'll mention in the T150 entry so i'll skip that here. The 152 is solid, but you need a good medium range firing position with plenty of covering fire and distraction. Properly played it's a lethal advesery, but slip up or just get a team that's either too competent (so you never get a good shot), or too bad at supporting you (so you get swarmed), and your total lack of armour or DPM will show and kill you stone dead.

T-150: The 107 has great RoF and the damage is very solid, overall great DPM. The good stuff ends there, the accuracy is terrible for sniping and only ok for general targeting at mid range. You need to be brawler range to hit weakpoints, and even then it doesn't always go where you want. It's also got a big enough circle when fully bloomed out that you still need to wait for it to tighten at anything more than point blank. This often leads to you not being able to fire as soon as it reloads even if there are plenty of willing targets as few stay fully exposed long enough for you to just hit the same target and the turret swinging around will screw your aim big time. In addition if there aren't a plethora of willing targets the often slower RoF of tier guns means that they'll only be exposed some of the time, meaning you may be limited to the same RoF. Cutting it's DPM advantage down or reversing it even.

The armour is so so. The copula on top makes poking just your turret over the top vastly more dangerous than with the KV-2 or KV-1S, and if people are targeting weakpoints the hull is just as papery, you also aren't going to deflect much off your sides unless it's an extreme angle. If someone engages you head on andauto aims it's great, but few do at this tier.

KV-1S: The one i have the least experience with however there are several obvious advantages, both on paper and observable from watching it in action. The biggest one is that raw Alpha, there's a number of tanks it can one or 2 shot reliably that the 107 needs an extra shot against, this means when in T6 matches it's often got higher real world DPM than the T-150 even if the targets are giving you a perfect shooting gallery to use the 107 on. It's also got a better turret in terms of poking over hills and it's much more mobile which makes it a far better brawler as it can get to the front and advantageous area's faster with less exposure and play duck and dodge with cover more quickly. It's gun has the same aim time and only marginally worse accuracy.


Overall i'd cautiously recommend the KV-1S to most people ATM, the T-150 requires good hands and a cooperative enemy to work, but when it does it's realy good, but the 1S is clearly going to be much more friendly with it's better damage per shot on the same aim time and better mobility. In platoons or Clan wars i suspect the T-50 can shine rather more as can the KV-2, but pubbies tend to make them have to work rather hard for their wins, which is pretty rough to play as unless you like frustration a lot.


My thoughts anyway.

You sound as if you havent played these tanks.

KV-2 Derp is king.  You can make tier 8 cry easily.
T-150 can and does bounce most everything fired at it.
KV-1s is great for peekaboom.


The reason you see kv-1s in tc is its speed. Thats it. The speed in which your whole group can fly across the map and still pack a whollop.

T-150 is much much better tank overall.  Armor makes a big difference.  It is not that much slower than the 1s to make too much difference, but its better armor will be felt. kv-1s rarely bounce a shot from the t150, but the t150 bounces the kv1s rounds fairly regularly.

I would say get kv-2 1st, grind out the guns,  then get the t150 with the 107 already.  then the kv1s.

weesh #35 Posted Oct 04 2013 - 19:03

    Major

  • Players
  • 13374 battles
  • 2,274
  • Member since:
    09-11-2012

View PostValundar, on Oct 04 2013 - 18:55, said:

You sound as if you havent played these tanks.
My thoughts exactly...I thought about writing a post to eviscerate him point by point, but then couldn't be bothered.
KV-2 would be fun as a tier 7 tank, no other changes.  Some of my friend fail platoon it to force it into higher HP battles.





Also tagged with KV-1s T-150 KV-2

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users