Black Prince worth the grind?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
105 replies to this topic

Tank3rDude #41 Posted Aug 20 2013 - 21:05

Major

• Players
  • 9612 battles
  • [_TNK_] _TNK_
I keep seeing people complaining about the alpha damage but not mentioning its supreme rate of fire. You can put 2-3 shells into an enemy by the time he gets done reloading. Then you make him bounce, and while he is reloading again you hit him 3 more times. One on one, the Black prince can take on any other tier 7 heavy and destroy them. I have tried it in games and training rooms with clan mates. The only bane of this tank is when you are surrounded by two or more enemy because of how slow the top speed is. Other than that it is a great tank, and I have played ALL the tier 7 heavies except the french. IT IS WORTH IT!!! I can not wait to get the Caernaveron. I have a platoon buddy who runs his Conqueror with my M103 and that thing is a beast.

Edited by Tank3rDude, Aug 20 2013 - 21:07.

SRozell #42 Posted Aug 20 2013 - 22:55

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 31960 battles
Yes its got a supreme rate of fire but when your facing enemy's with 1600+ hit points and doing 150 point alphas the BP fails to kill anything fast enough and being a heavy that really shouldn't be a issue. Now yes you can out last most all of your team then in the end your faced with 2 or 3 vs you and your dead. Point being that the BP should at least mount a 17 pounder hell even a 20 pounder wouldn't really hurt it. And if you really want to run a Caernarvon run a Centurion they have the same gun up to the QQF 20 but same turret armor and the Cent has more speed. And your only giving up 250 hp to the Caernarvon. But then again the Caernarvon really should have the 105 royal ordinance mounted on it. That tank does see tier 10 heavy games and having no armor unable to side scrape its just kind of a great sniper tank but not really accelerating at that. Point being is please don't jump on here and say its a great tank till you have ground out all the bits and pieces and really played the tank. Past the BP you get the Caernarvon. You will be ammo racked from the from your drivers dead all the time your gun has great accuracy and great reloads but lets see how well that will do you when facing E-75 Maus IS-7's and so many more. In the games I have played in it I can count on one hand the time I have been at the top tank. The Conqueror and the FV215b I don't know about yep but what I do know is British heavy tanks are dreadfully under gunned. Its a team game yet cant always depend on team players to hide behind.

Johnny_Mars #43 Posted Aug 21 2013 - 00:27

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 11461 battles
The BP does mount a 17-pdr, and if you're facing things with 1600+ hit points, you're probably facing Tier IXs - at Tier VIII only the KT and KV-4 have as many. Show me a Tier VII tank that can take down a Tier IX 1-v-1 and I'll show you a Tier IX driver who's a dipstick. On the other hand, I never got tired of killing arrogant T29 drivers with my BP. Tigers and AMX45s usually make themselves irrelevant, so I didn't worry about them. The only thing at Tier VII that worried me when I was driving a BP was an IS with a brain or an SU-152 that my team hadn't located yet. And anything less than Tier VII was either avoiding me or waiting in line to die.

Tank3rDude #44 Posted Aug 21 2013 - 00:39

Major

• Players
  • 9612 battles
  • [_TNK_] _TNK_

View PostSRozell, on Aug 20 2013 - 22:55, said:

Yes its got a supreme rate of fire but when your facing enemy's with 1600+ hit points and doing 150 point alphas the BP fails to kill anything fast enough and being a heavy that really shouldn't be a issue. Now yes you can out last most all of your team then in the end your faced with 2 or 3 vs you and your dead. Point being that the BP should at least mount a 17 pounder hell even a 20 pounder wouldn't really hurt it. And if you really want to run a Caernarvon run a Centurion they have the same gun up to the QQF 20 but same turret armor and the Cent has more speed. And your only giving up 250 hp to the Caernarvon. But then again the Caernarvon really should have the 105 royal ordinance mounted on it. That tank does see tier 10 heavy games and having no armor unable to side scrape its just kind of a great sniper tank but not really accelerating at that. Point being is please don't jump on here and say its a great tank till you have ground out all the bits and pieces and really played the tank. Past the BP you get the Caernarvon. You will be ammo racked from the from your drivers dead all the time your gun has great accuracy and great reloads but lets see how well that will do you when facing E-75 Maus IS-7's and so many more. In the games I have played in it I can count on one hand the time I have been at the top tank. The Conqueror and the FV215b I don't know about yep but what I do know is British heavy tanks are dreadfully under gunned. Its a team game yet cant always depend on team players to hide behind.
First of all , when I talk about the Black Prince I am speaking from experience. I have only 56 battles in it and have a Mastery badge an a 56% win ratio. I see that you only have a 48% win ratio and very few heavy tanks in general which tells me that you are not familiar with them and are not very experienced in them either. I am not saying that you suck at playing them but rather that your play style may not meet their demands. Some tanks are better for some people. And you saying that the Black Prince should mount the 17 pdr. when it really does tells me even further that you do not know your tanks. So please do not tell people to not try a tank because you had a bad experience with it.

SRozell #45 Posted Aug 21 2013 - 01:26

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 31960 battles
First off with 56 battles under your belt you really shouldn't talk about how experienced you are in the BP. And when win ratio is dependent on others who are clue less and dumb shits on the battlefield that affects win ratios. When you get a couple 100 battles under your belt feel free to comment.

Tank3rDude #46 Posted Aug 21 2013 - 17:32

Major

• Players
  • 9612 battles
  • [_TNK_] _TNK_
Even with 56 battles I feel that I have pretty much gathered what the tank can and can not do. It is a good tank when it is properly used. Yes it does have a rough time with tier 9 tanks but then again so does every other tier 7 tank. Their is a huge HP difference between the tiers. Just because you don't like it and think it sucks does not mean it does. The majority of the people posting in this particular post agree that it is a decent tank. I was not trying to degrade your stats, I am not a forum troll. I was just pointing out that the tank might not suit your play style and that might be why you do not like it.

Edited by Tank3rDude, Aug 21 2013 - 17:33.

SRozell #47 Posted Aug 21 2013 - 17:54

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 31960 battles
The fact of the matter is that you start out under gunned in the bp you say under gunned in heavy's till you get the 105 in the Conqueror. Say what you will say what you want but the simple face is people get discouraged by not being able to kill other tanks they get discouraged by huge repair bills and ammo costs. Fact of the matter if you don't have any kind of support your facing something with 900 hit points with a Russian or American high damage gun slinging gold your dead because yes you can pen them but its going to take you round after round after round to kill something that you should in 4 hits not 8 or 9 end of story.

noneofcon #48 Posted Aug 21 2013 - 18:16

Sergeant

• Players
  • 6443 battles
It has been growing on me i think .....

Spoiler                     

Slash78 #49 Posted Aug 21 2013 - 18:28

Captain

• Players
  • 12020 battles

View PostSRozell, on Aug 21 2013 - 17:54, said:

The fact of the matter is that you start out under gunned in the bp you say under gunned in heavy's till you get the 105 in the Conqueror. Say what you will say what you want but the simple face is people get discouraged by not being able to kill other tanks they get discouraged by huge repair bills and ammo costs. Fact of the matter if you don't have any kind of support your facing something with 900 hit points with a Russian or American high damage gun slinging gold your dead because yes you can pen them but its going to take you round after round after round to kill something that you should in 4 hits not 8 or 9 end of story.

Yeah, but you can hit them with 8 or 9 shots in the type most good alpha guns can fire 4 shots.

ShamelessAdvocate #50 Posted Aug 21 2013 - 18:33

Corporal

• Players
  • 10410 battles
While maybe the BP isn't a game conquerer like the KV-1 can be in its own tier, it can sure make a bad day for a lot of folks. Its armor can make adversaries swear a ton and its fairly rapid reload time can make them swear even more. If you are at the top of the list in a game, you can expect to wreak havoc in that battle as long as you remember to use cover, angle your armor, don't get overextended or too aggressive. If you do those things, you will love the BP no matter that it is slow because when you DO get to the battle, you can alter it in the favor of your team.. and if you have TDs or Mediums supporting you.. the game might end a lot faster than you might be willing to believe.

Edited by ShamelessAdvocate, Aug 21 2013 - 18:34.

Madox76 #51 Posted Aug 22 2013 - 16:39

Captain

• Players
  • 27603 battles
  • [BEERS] BEERS
I have grown to enjoy it tough tank Rapid fire gun bit odd on it but its doable.
Definitely not a tank to do if you like things easy and just wanna play without worrying about anything else.
If you enjoy the Churchills then BP should be right up your alley

Edited by Madox76, Aug 22 2013 - 16:40.

SRozell #52 Posted Aug 22 2013 - 19:10

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 31960 battles
But thing is they won't enjoy it after the BP shit armor shit gun shit speed just all around shit tank. If you enjoy snipeing and what not it might be your thing but then again I would roll either American or Russian tanks that are better then anything past the BP.

DubiousDrewski #53 Posted Sep 06 2013 - 18:42

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 17156 battles
The BP is the most fun I've ever had in tier 7. Yeah it's slow to get to the battle but once you're there and you're angled right, you are invincible. In my BP I always sit out in front of my team and laugh at all the pathetic t29s and kv3s as they ping away uselessly against my armour. All the while I steadily eat away at them with my high ROF 171 pen gun. And if someone flanks me? I can spin quickly to face them. The BP isn't fast, but it's AGILE.
It's the best heavy tank for the tier.

Thugtastic #54 Posted Sep 06 2013 - 19:09

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 13299 battles
We do rage a bit about the lack of Alpha on the BP, and it is something you need to be aware of with this tank... I've got a 4.2s reload time with a 1.7s aim time... So roughly every 5 seconds I'm taking alpha off of something.. A good point that we need to remember is that the BP is nearly impossible to flank... It spins on its tracks just WAY too fast, combine that with the fast turret time and the fast reload/aim/shoot time of the gun... Anything trying to flank you is going to have a bad go of it. :)

Tank3rdude beat me to it... It took nearly 300 games for me to get my Mastery Ace Tanker badge in the thing.... Not a fun grind, but the thing is just a bucket of fun.

Tank3rDude #55 Posted Sep 06 2013 - 19:42

Major

• Players
  • 9612 battles
  • [_TNK_] _TNK_
Hey Thugtastic, I will add you as a friend in game so we can platoon them! I have a clan buddy who has one too so we can run a 3 man Black Prince platoon of slow rolling death machines! If you are interested in newer clan let me know and I will get you an invite. We are more relaxed then most. We just do alot of platooning and tank companies and are all working on getting tier 10 tanks so that we can eventually join clan wars. We have some really cool members that like to help when it is needed. We would love to have ya if you are interested, or I can give you our Teamspeak info and you can just sign on as a guest and see what you think about it first. Either way lets platoon up with the BP's!

DubiousDrewski #56 Posted Sep 06 2013 - 21:25

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 17156 battles
The most useful place for high alpha is in pop-and-fire-combat. Unlike every other heavy in tier 7, The BP does not need to hide after firing. It does not need high alpha because it doesn't need to pop-and-fire because it has ridiculously strong frontal armour with almost no frontal weak spots(lower glacis). It's a whole different kind of heavy tank. In it, you just sit still(except for wiggling) absorb shots, and dish out pain.
So many tankers don't get this.

Johnny_Mars #57 Posted Sep 06 2013 - 23:16

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 11461 battles
People are way too obsessed with alpha.

super_terry_dactyl #58 Posted Sep 07 2013 - 04:07

Corporal

• Players
  • 17746 battles
  • [MEDIC] MEDIC
So I'm about 30k exp from the caernarvon, and the black prince has not let up for me with its awesomeness
It really does struggle in tier 9 games with the alpha i have found
Very hard to carry your weight in those games (getting at least 1450 points of damage) with the low alpha and penetration.
It takes a lot of shots to get that damage and often you only get to fire once at a target and then they turn to curbstomp you so you have to back up behind some cover and sit there while your teammates kill him.
Black Prince is a very easy target for tier 8 and 9 tanks...
But if you hull down you can easily turn the tables on them as they don't expect the turret to be so strong  :trollface:

alqaddy #59 Posted Sep 07 2013 - 05:51

Sergeant

• Players
  • 21504 battles
LOVE my tier 5 Churchill
HATED my tier 6 Church VII
Mixed Feelings about my Black Prince: I found it's armor to be pretty decent if used/angled properly. Your best course of action is to support your team and use your guns RoF to your advantage.

ovan20 #60 Posted Sep 08 2013 - 17:32

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 28012 battles

View PostDPSoccer97, on Aug 02 2013 - 19:02, said:

I'm about 1/4 the way there to the BP from the Church 7, and a lot of people says it's not worth it, while others say it is... I mean the cannon doesn't really upgrade, and neither does the armor. Should I still go for it?

No one make a line to get the tier 7, its the tier 10 you should be aiming to, and yes, the tier 10 is more than worth the grind.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users