Best tier 5 Premium

best tier premium

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
61 replies to this topic

Poll: Best tier 5 premium (302 members have cast votes)

Best tier 5 Premium

1. Matilda IV (18 votes [5.96%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.96%

2. Churchill III (111 votes [36.75%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 36.75%

3. Excelsior (36 votes [11.92%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.92%

4. T14 (40 votes [13.25%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 13.25%

5. Matilda BP (7 votes [2.32%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.32%

6. T-25 (46 votes [15.23%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 15.23%

7. Ram II (44 votes [14.57%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 14.57%

Vote Hide poll

Alecdent #1 Posted Aug 03 2013 - 23:03

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 3369 battles
  • [TANKA] TANKA
Best Tier 5 Premium tanks. (Not an original idea but I would like to see more answers)
I have the Matilda IV, Its a deadly little machine that has phenomenal armor and a great gun that pumps out lead every 3 seconds.
I've also had the T14 and Churchill III, but the Churchill has an oblong shape and the position of the turret makes you have to expose your weak tracks and unsloped front and turret...
(SargentOddball if you are reading this, give me a lecture :P)
So tell me your favorites, the pros/cons, and the way you play them :)

Life_In_Black #2 Posted Aug 03 2013 - 23:10

Major

• Players
  • 14944 battles
  • [KGS] KGS
Too bad they have to be current Tier 5s, as I'd love to vote for the Chi-Nu Kai. :P

SourKraut13 #3 Posted Aug 03 2013 - 23:10

Major

• Players
  • 19304 battles
  • [27PZR] 27PZR
I had the Churchill III, until I got my IS-7. Then I had to play like mad to get another loader skilled in BIA, so it would work in my IS-7. Once the KV-5 came out again, I bought it and sold the Churchill III (Back when it was still called the Churchill). I had the T-25. It's alright but the gun is meh. When I bought the Panther/M10 I sold it.

I have the Matilda BP, fun but slow. I actually have more fun playing the regular Matilda with a 1.7 second fire rate.

ForwardMarch #4 Posted Aug 03 2013 - 23:12

Captain

• Players
  • 8232 battles
Ram-II is awesome for me, you can spam them with a 2.1 sec reload, and it is maneuverable and fast.

_Smitty #5 Posted Aug 03 2013 - 23:12

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 15143 battles
  • [SIMP] SIMP

View PostAlecdent, on Aug 03 2013 - 23:03, said:

Best Tier 5 Premium tanks. (Not an original idea but I would like to see more answers)

I have the Matilda IV, Its a deadly little machine that has phenomenal armor and a great gun that pumps out lead every 3 seconds.
I've also had the T14 and Churchill III, but the Churchill has an oblong shape and the position of the turret makes you have to expose your weak tracks and unsloped front and turret...

(SargentOddball if you are reading this, give me a lecture :P)

So tell me your favorites, the pros/cons, and the way you play them :)

Don't listen to Oddball ever. The best tier 5 would either be Churchill or T14

Demolman1 #6 Posted Aug 03 2013 - 23:12

Sergeant

• Players
  • 9294 battles

View PostLife_In_Black, on Aug 03 2013 - 23:10, said:

Too bad they have to be current Tier 5s, as I'd love to vote for the Chi-Nu Kai. :P

wat?

Alecdent #7 Posted Aug 03 2013 - 23:12

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 3369 battles
  • [TANKA] TANKA
We will rank them on 6 categories:
  • Mobility
  • Gun
  • Armor
  • Size
  • Survival ability
  • Controversy (i.e. is it OP? is it bad?)

Life_In_Black #8 Posted Aug 03 2013 - 23:14

Major

• Players
  • 14944 battles
  • [KGS] KGS

View PostDemolman1, on Aug 03 2013 - 23:12, said:

wat?

Upcoming Japanese premium, it's going to be a Tier 5 medium tank.

Alecdent #9 Posted Aug 03 2013 - 23:14

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 3369 battles
  • [TANKA] TANKA

View PostLife_In_Black, on Aug 03 2013 - 23:14, said:

Upcoming Japanese premium, it's going to be a Tier 5 medium tank.
So the crew will be like Girls und Panzer? and when you die the flag juts out of your turret? Jk lol

Tank3rDude #10 Posted Aug 03 2013 - 23:16

Captain

• Players
  • 8506 battles
I have to say that the Excelsior is my new favorite tier 5 premium. I do love the Churchill 3 but it just isn't as mobile and does not have the higher alpha that the excelsior has. It has great frontal armor as well. It is a blast in a tier 5 game. Call me crazy.

TheBlackWind #11 Posted Aug 03 2013 - 23:22

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 13420 battles
  • [F-D] F-D
T14 hands down. I'd attach a great screenshot but I can't figure out how to be honest : /  I have the Churchill 3 to compare it.. none of the others.

StarkiIIer #12 Posted Aug 03 2013 - 23:25

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 7055 battles

View PostAlecdent, on Aug 03 2013 - 23:12, said:

We will rank them on 6 categories:
  • Mobility
  • Gun
  • Armor
  • Size
  • Survival ability
  • Controversy (i.e. is it OP? is it bad?)
The only tier 5 premium I've had is the Churchill III, so I'll only comment on that.
1) For the most part, it's bad.  It only goes 30, 35 if you're going down a hill, and the turning is nothing to write home about.  However, it does have decent turret traverse.
2) Arguably the best gun in tier 5.  With brothers in arm, gun rammer, and ventilation, you're looking at about a 1.5 second reload.  The penetration for AP rounds has trouble with the KV-1's front, but beyond that there's not much you can't pen.  With APCR you should be penetrating some tier 7's reliably.  Oh, and it does about 1600 DPM without brothers in arm, gun rammer, or ventilation.
3) There are several massive weakspots, but it still has the best paper armor in its tier.  The 176mm tombstone bounces everything in its tier and then some, including 105mm HEAT before it was nerfed (I usually solo'd M4 derp platoons since they couldn't pen my front reliably).
4) About the same size as the KV-1.  Or the Churchill I (herp a derp).
5) It's tied for second most health in tier, it has the 176mm tombstone, and it does about 2000-2400 DPM when you have all the bells and whistles.  Especially with HEAT nerfed the way it is, it'll take a hell of a beating, and dish out even more to boot.
6) Great for seal clubbing, and pokes all other tier 5's into oblivion.  The only thing in its tier that could possibly kill the churchill before the churchill killed it in a straight shootout is the Chaffee, and if you want to compare a tier 5 premium heavy to a tier 5 superscout, then you're trying too hard

Alecdent #13 Posted Aug 03 2013 - 23:39

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 3369 battles
  • [TANKA] TANKA

View PostStarkiIIer, on Aug 03 2013 - 23:25, said:

The only tier 5 premium I've had is the Churchill III, so I'll only comment on that.
1) For the most part, it's bad.  It only goes 30, 35 if you're going down a hill, and the turning is nothing to write home about.  However, it does have decent turret traverse.
2) Arguably the best gun in tier 5.  With brothers in arm, gun rammer, and ventilation, you're looking at about a 1.5 second reload.  The penetration for AP rounds has trouble with the KV-1's front, but beyond that there's not much you can't pen.  With APCR you should be penetrating some tier 7's reliably.  Oh, and it does about 1600 DPM without brothers in arm, gun rammer, or ventilation.
3) There are several massive weakspots, but it still has the best paper armor in its tier.  The 176mm tombstone bounces everything in its tier and then some, including 105mm HEAT before it was nerfed (I usually solo'd M4 derp platoons since they couldn't pen my front reliably).
4) About the same size as the KV-1.  Or the Churchill I (herp a derp).
5) It's tied for second most health in tier, it has the 176mm tombstone, and it does about 2000-2400 DPM when you have all the bells and whistles.  Especially with HEAT nerfed the way it is, it'll take a hell of a beating, and dish out even more to boot.
6) Great for seal clubbing, and pokes all other tier 5's into oblivion.  The only thing in its tier that could possibly kill the churchill before the churchill killed it in a straight shootout is the Chaffee, and if you want to compare a tier 5 premium heavy to a tier 5 superscout, then you're trying too hard
Tombstone?

Ford_Mustank #14 Posted Aug 03 2013 - 23:40

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 3454 battles
I would actually vothe the churchill III and the t-25, but I could only make one choice.

StarkiIIer #15 Posted Aug 03 2013 - 23:42

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 7055 battles

View PostAlecdent, on Aug 03 2013 - 23:39, said:

Tombstone?
As far as my knowledge of WoT lingo goes, arbitrarily high frontal hull armor in conjunction with rather pathetic armor everywhere else is known as a tombstone.  My Tiger (P) has one also, for example.

Alecdent #16 Posted Aug 03 2013 - 23:44

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 3369 battles
  • [TANKA] TANKA

View PostStarkiIIer, on Aug 03 2013 - 23:42, said:

As far as my knowledge of WoT lingo goes, arbitrarily high frontal hull armor in conjunction with rather pathetic armor everywhere else is known as a tombstone.  My Tiger (P) has one also, for example.
Oh. I get it. My Matilda has one, but its damn sloped and its 100mm thick

LittleWhiteMouse #17 Posted Aug 04 2013 - 00:24

Captain

• Players
  • 12500 battles
  • [RAZAK] RAZAK
Out of the ones I've played:
-
Matilda Black Prince
Posted Image
Mobility -- The worst speed of any of the tier 5 premiums, this tank is dangerously underpowered with less than 7 horsepower per ton.  There are some slopes you just cannot climb in this vehicle.  Most uphill laneways can only be tackled at 6kph.  It's traverse speed is respectable though and so is the maneuverability of it's turret.
-
Gun -- The weapon of the Matilda Black Prince has some good strengths.  It's reasonably accurate, it's reload time is insane and it has excellent elevation and depression values.  The alpha is, at best, moderate to low however, as is to be expected from such a high DPM weapon.  It's important to note that it can shoot faster than it aims, just like the Churchill III.
-
Armor  -- With the correction of the armour values on the Matilda Black Prince within the recent patches, it's comparable now to it's sister variants.  The turret is weaker than either the Matilda II or the Matilda IV and it's surfaces are flat rather than rounded.  It takes crits to its gunner and ammunition stores regularly.
-
Size -- Smallish and easy to hide.
-
Survival ability  -- The Matilda Black Prince is quite survivable for one silly reason:  You're never going to arrive first because of your slow speed.  This tank postively crawls, so you can never get yourself into danger quickly.  But you can't exactly extract yourself either if you end up in a tough spot.  That said, it has a high bank of hit points and it still has the wonderful Matilda class armour.  If it comes down to trading fire, the Matilda Black Prince punches above it's weight class.
-
Controversy -- This is a "bad" tank.  The innability to maneuver and respond to events occuring on the other side of the battlefield limit it's carry ability.  That said, it remains the favourite of many tankers (myself included) because of it's gunnery perfromance and survivability.
-
Matilda IV
Posted Image
Mobility  -- The mobility on any of the Matilda class tanks is always going to be shackled to their truly appalling speed.  Able to manage just over 20kph on the best of circumstances, you cannot redeploy fast enough to assist on a looming crisis on an opposing flank.  Still, the traverse values are clean and the turret is mobile.
-
Gun -- The weapon on the Matilda IV differs from it's two sister tanks by trading armour penetration and rate of fire for a higher alpha potential.  It still fires quickly, but not with the machine-gun like quality of the Matilda II or Matilda Black Prince.  This lowers it's DPM overall when compared to it's sisters, but it remains a rude shock for anyone trying to go toe to toe with it.
-
Armor -- It's a Matilda tank, with lovely bouncy armour and odd bulges and angles to frustrate the enemy.  Tier 3 and 4 tanks will struggle to penetrate you and you can even frustrate some tier 5 vehicles too.
-
Size -- Smallish, easy to hide.
-
Survival ability -- Slightly better than the Matilda Black Prince.  As a top tier vehicle, the Matilda IV is very trollish with it's armour and high HP pool.  Against tier 6s, these advantages are lost and it performs only moderatly.
-
Controversy -- A favourite of many before the introduction of the Matilda II, this remains a solid weapon platform.  It is, however, horribly handicapped by it's lack of speed.
-
A-33 Excelsior
Posted Image
Mobility -- Fast for a heavy tank, the A-33 plays more like an oversized medium than a true heavy.  It lives or dies by it's ability to position it's armour correctly and for this it has sufficient traverse ability.
-
Gun  -- The gun on the A-33 is insufficient grace of it's low penetration.  The rate of fire and alpha are adequate, shooting on the fast side and hitting on the low side, but not so low as to be detrimental.  The temptation will be to fire premium ammunition to correct the lack of penetration, and though viable, this will quickly bankrupt the player without another source of income.
-
Armor -- The A-33 sports the best frontal armour of any of the Tier 5 premium vehicles, surpassing even the T-14 for frontward survivability.  It has only two small weak points to the front -- that being two of the three optic visors raised up from the hull.
-
Size -- The A-33 Excelsior has very large tracks with a broad, squat profile.  The turret is very easy to hit.
-
Survival Ability -- This is not a front-line brawling tank.  It's paper-thin sides leave it very vulnerable to any form of flanking.  Because of the way the armour binary system functions, this tank will seem utterly OP at top tier games and horribly underpowered against tier 6 vehicles (or anything else that can penetrate it's frontal armour reliably).
-
Controversy -- OP against tier 5 or less, underpowered against T6.
-
T-25
-  (([[ Image not available. ]]
Mobility -- Excellent top speed in a straight line.  Horrible traverse rates, especially on the move.  The turret traverse crawls.
-
Gun  -- Solid weapon with excellent accuracy, good rate of fire and decent alpha.
-
Armor -- Best described as "average" with some nice sloping to the fore.  The sides and the frontal glacis plate are vulnerable and fire prone.  The turret isn't especially durable.
-
Size -- It's German but not as big as a house, so "good" for Germany but meh for everyone else.
-
Survival ability -- Played very similarly to the Pz.Kpfw V Panther, the T-25 teaches the importance of keeping a distance and relying on accuracy to defeat enemies.  This becomes a staple of play for many German vehicles, including much of the Panther line and the Tiger as well.  Up close, this vehicle never fairs well making play very specialized.
-
Controversy -- It looks terrible but it's a decent vehicle with a phenominal gun.  The platform upon which it's mounted limits its use to a sniper only.
-
Churchill III
Posted Image
Mobility -- Fat and slow, the Churchill III doesn't turn or move particularly fast, but it is more spritely than the Matildas; which is saying it's more lively than a dead walrus.
-
Gun -- Equipped with the same weapon as the Matilda Black Prince, but with the advantage of actually having ammunition reserves.  The gun hits brutally fast, with solid penetration for it's tier.  It shoots faster than it can aim, however, reducing it's DPM at long ranges.  The accuracy is, however, solid once you let it tick down to its minimum reticle size.
-
Armor  -- Like all Churchill tanks, the armour of the Churchill III is funny, with very thick places coupled with huge glaring weak points.  The turret of the Churchill III is a well publicized weak point and it leaves the whole tank especially vulnerable against savvy opponents.
-
Size  -- Squat but very long, any Churchill is a very tempting target for artillery.  With the centrally placed turret, its large tracks make it very difficult to peak out of cover.
-
Survival ability  --  As a top tier vehicle, the Churchill III is very tough.  It has a large HP pool and it can hold it's own.  It is very vulnerable, however, to long distance fire.  It's inability to hide itself well, pull back into cover quickly or make use of it's solid DPM at range because of aim-time issues compromises it's survivability in the open.  As such, it's best to engage at short to medium ranges.  Make sure to immobilize targets in an urban environment to deny them the ability to "peak a boom" and avoid your phenominal rate of fire.
-
Controversy -- The Churchill III is a very solid performer at tier 5, with excellent credit earning potential.  It is generally regarded as a high income earner amongst the tier 5 premiums and is arguably superior to any of the Tier 5 premium heavies.

Edited by LittleWhiteMouse, Aug 04 2013 - 00:43.

Gramis #18 Posted Aug 04 2013 - 00:31

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 7173 battles
Love my churchill. It gets penned alot but the gun is a lot of fun. Death by a thousand needles.

Alecdent #19 Posted Aug 04 2013 - 00:38

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 3369 battles
  • [TANKA] TANKA

View PostLittleWhiteMouse, on Aug 04 2013 - 00:24, said:

Out of the ones I've played:

Matilda Black Prince
Mobility -- The worst speed of any of the tier 5 premiums, this tank is dangerously underpowered with less than 7 horsepower per ton.  There are some slopes you just cannot climb in this vehicle.  Most uphill laneways can only be tackled at 6kph.  It's traverse speed is respectable though and so is the maneuverability of it's turret.

Gun -- The weapon of the Matilda Black Prince has some good strengths.  It's reasonably accurate, it's reload time is insane and it has excellent elevation and depression values.  The alpha is, at best, moderate to low however, as is to be expected from such a high DPM weapon.  It's important to note that it can shoot faster than it aims, just like the Churchill III.

Armor  -- With the correction of the armour values on the Matilda Black Prince within the recent patches, it's comparable now to it's sister variants.  The turret is weaker than either the Matilda II or the Matilda IV and it's surfaces are flat rather than rounded.  It takes crits to its gunner and ammunition stores regularly.

Size -- Smallish and easy to hide.

Survival ability  -- The Matilda Black Prince is quite survivable for one silly reason:  You're never going to arrive first because of your slow speed.  This tank postively crawls, so you can never get yourself into danger quickly.  But you can't exactly extract yourself either if you end up in a tough spot.  That said, it has a high bank of hit points and it still has the wonderful Matilda class armour.  If it comes down to trading fire, the Matilda Black Prince punches above it's weight class.

Controversy -- This is a "bad" tank.  The innability to maneuver and respond to events occuring on the other side of the battlefield limit it's carry ability.  That said, it remains the favourite of many tankers (myself included) because of it's gunnery perfromance and survivability.

Matilda IV

Mobility  -- The mobility on any of the Matilda class tanks is always going to be shackled to their truly appalling speed.  Able to manage just over 20kph on the best of circumstances, you cannot redeploy fast enough to assist on a looming crisis on an opposing flank.  Still, the traverse values are clean and the turret is mobile.

Gun -- The weapon on the Matilda IV differs from it's two sister tanks by trading armour penetration and rate of fire for a higher alpha potential.  It still fires quickly, but not with the machine-gun like quality of the Matilda II or Matilda Black Prince.  This lowers it's DPM overall when compared to it's sisters, but it remains a rude shock for anyone trying to go toe to toe with it.

Armor -- It's a Matilda tank, with lovely bouncy armour and odd bulges and angles to frustrate the enemy.  Tier 3 and 4 tanks will struggle to penetrate you and you can even frustrate some tier 5 vehicles too.

Size -- Smallish, easy to hide.

Survival ability -- Slightly better than the Matilda Black Prince.  As a top tier vehicle, the Matilda IV is very trollish with it's armour and high HP pool.  Against tier 6s, these advantages are lost and it performs only moderatly.

Controversy -- A favourite of many before the introduction of the Matilda II, this remains a solid weapon platform.  It is, however, horribly handicapped by it's lack of speed.

A-33 Excelsior
Mobility -- Fast for a heavy tank, the A-33 plays more like an oversized medium than a true heavy.  It lives or dies by it's ability to position it's armour correctly and for this it has sufficient traverse ability.

Gun  -- The gun on the A-33 is insufficient grace of it's low penetration.  The rate of fire and alpha are adequate, shooting on the fast side and hitting on the low side, but not so low as to be detrimental.  The temptation will be to fire premium ammunition to correct the lack of penetration, and though viable, this will quickly bankrupt the player without another source of income.

Armor -- The A-33 sports the best frontal armour of any of the Tier 5 premium vehicles, surpassing even the T-14 for frontward survivability.  It has only two small weak points to the front -- that being two of the three optic visors raised up from the hull.

Size -- The A-33 Excelsior has very large tracks with a broad, squat profile.  The turret is very easy to hit.

Survival Ability -- This is not a front-line brawling tank.  It's paper-thin sides leave it very vulnerable to any form of flanking.  Because of the way the armour binary system functions, this tank will seem utterly OP at top tier games and horribly underpowered against tier 6 vehicles (or anything else that can penetrate it's frontal armour reliably).

Controversy -- OP against tier 5 or less, underpowered against T6.

T-25
Mobility -- Excellent top speed in a straight line.  Horrible traverse rates, especially on the move.  The turret traverse crawls.

Gun  -- Solid weapon with excellent accuracy, good rate of fire and decent alpha.

Armor -- Best described as "average" with some nice sloping to the fore.  The sides and the frontal glacis plate are vulnerable and fire prone.  The turret isn't especially durable.

Size -- It's German but not as big as a house, so "good" for Germany but meh for everyone else.

Survival ability -- Played very similarly to the Pz.Kpfw V Panther, the T-25 teaches the importance of keeping a distance and relying on accuracy to defeat enemies.  This becomes a staple of play for many German vehicles, including much of the Panther line and the Tiger as well.  Up close, this vehicle never fairs well making play very specialized.

Controversy -- It looks terrible but it's a decent vehicle with a phenominal gun.  The platform upon which it's mounted limits its use to a sniper only.

Churchill III
Mobility -- Fat and slow, the Churchill III doesn't turn or move particularly fast, but it is more spritely than the Matildas; which is saying it's more lively than a dead walrus.

Gun -- Equipped with the same weapon as the Matilda Black Prince, but with the advantage of actually having ammunition reserves.  The gun hits brutally fast, with solid penetration for it's tier.  It shoots faster than it can aim, however, reducing it's DPM at long ranges.  The accuracy is, however, solid once you let it tick down to its minimum reticle size.

Armor  -- Like all Churchill tanks, the armour of the Churchill III is funny, with very thick places coupled with huge glaring weak points.  The turret of the Churchill III is a well publicized weak point and it leaves the whole tank especially vulnerable against savvy opponents.

Size  -- Squat but very long, any Churchill is a very tempting target for artillery.  With the centrally placed turret, its large tracks make it very difficult to peak out of cover.

Survival ability  --  As a top tier vehicle, the Churchill III is very tough.  It has a large HP pool and it can hold it's own.  It is very vulnerable, however, to long distance fire.  It's inability to hide itself well, pull back into cover quickly or make use of it's solid DPM at range because of aim-time issues compromises it's survivability in the open.  As such, it's best to engage at short to medium ranges.  Make sure to immobilize targets in an urban environment to deny them the ability to "peak a boom" and avoid your phenominal rate of fire.

Controversy -- The Churchill III is a very solid performer at tier 5, with excellent credit earning potential.  It is generally regarded as a high income earner amongst the tier 5 premiums and is arguably superior to any of the Tier 5 premium heavies.
I'd have to say that my Matilda IV goes nearer to 24-28 on flat ground, and my old BP went 14-20, I never got why. Probably because the BP was 30 tons compared to 27, and the engine had 170 horses to 274... but I could beat a Churchill on a flat ground race. Otherwise, your information clearly describes my question. +1 for you my friend.

Alecdent #20 Posted Aug 04 2013 - 00:48

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 3369 battles
  • [TANKA] TANKA
ANYONE WHO SAYS THE MATILDA IS BAD BECAUSE ITS SLOW NEEDS A NEW DIAPER.