GAME CLUSTER DIVISION!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1342 replies to this topic

MiniMag #21 Posted Jan 16 2011 - 21:41

Private

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
Not so sure I like the idea of having to choose one server, I am currently stationed in Europe and I know I'm going back to the states sooner or later.  So does that mean I create my EU account and can't get it transferred when I move back to the states and have to start over?

IanLuxor #22 Posted Jan 16 2011 - 21:43

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View PostMiniMag, on Jan 16 2011 - 21:41, said:

Not so sure I like the idea of having to choose one server, I am currently stationed in Europe and I know I'm going back to the states sooner or later.  So does that mean I create my EU account and can't get it transferred when I move back to the states and have to start over?

Overlord said that they plan to implement a transition option in the future, but no word if it will cost you gold.

MiniMag #23 Posted Jan 16 2011 - 21:58

Private

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View PostIanLuxor, on Jan 16 2011 - 21:43, said:

Overlord said that they plan to implement a transition option in the future, but no word if it will cost you gold.

Guess that is better than nothing, I'll pay gold for the transfer be worth it.

f2k #24 Posted Jan 16 2011 - 22:06

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View PostRobRiguez, on Jan 16 2011 - 20:48, said:

just to beat the horse, server split for game= awesome. Forum split....NOT a good idea. Forum is for sharing information regardless of language. By splitting forum you are denying players easy access to knowledge about YOUR game.

^ This...

Why split the forum? I can see the reason for splitting the server, lag mainly, but why the forum? Lag isn't an issue here...

View PostHercegov, on Jan 16 2011 - 20:50, said:

It is a good idea if the game picks up and gains more players. For the current size of the community it isn't really necessary but it's good to have. I'm pretty sure I've read somewhere that the EU and US servers might run different versions of the game at some point(s) and that alone will help cut down on confusion on the forums.
If you look at any other MMO game they all have server/continent infrastructure, if you have a server in EU then you have a separate website for that server, this shouldn't be news to anyone, it's just the way things are set up in order to help keep organized.

Really? Where did you read this?

I'm aware that they're currently maintaining the Russian servers at a different version than the EU/US servers. But in the long run this is a very bad idea. Running different versions on different servers just increases the developers workload...

SexyWombat #25 Posted Jan 16 2011 - 22:08

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 2648 battles
  • [-169-] -169-

If you look at any other MMO game they all have server/continent infrastructure, if you have a server in EU then you have a separate website for that server, this shouldn't be news to anyone, it's just the way things are set up in order to help keep organized.

That's not true.  Darkfall online has two game servers but only one forum and one website.  Actually there are a few others as well.

Does it make it easier, well yes if the servers will have two different versions running, no if they will always have the same versions.  Anyway I wouldn't worry about the sharing of info as I'm sure fan sites and clan sites will have a ton of info to share.

d0ngle #26 Posted Jan 16 2011 - 22:13

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 13346 battles
  • [VILIN] VILIN

View PostAdiyahu, on Jan 16 2011 - 21:01, said:

if there are different companies run the game in different countries, aka by different publishers. forum split is probably unavoidable. maybe it is in this case. otherwise, totally unnecessary, isn't it?

Lets look at the most popular MMO game ever, WOW. It has a website/forum for each continent that it has servers on. But as I've said, we can't compare WoW to WoT so while forum/website split isn't totally necessary right now (due to a low player population) it is a good idea just for the purpose of staying organized. I'm sure if they were to merge the Russian forum with this one that utter chaos would break out and people would QQ about it.

If EU and US servers end up running different versions of the game (like the Russians are doing now) it will help the devs immensely in their communications with just that servers player base.

ArmorShark7 #27 Posted Jan 16 2011 - 22:57

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
Hopefully, with the new servers that nightmarish 200+ms ping will go away.
:Smile-hiding:

Gigaton #28 Posted Jan 16 2011 - 23:01

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View PostIanLuxor, on Jan 16 2011 - 20:10, said:

I just don't get the Website- and Forum-Split :o

I'll prolly just choose to use this current (ie. US) forum in any case, even if I most likely will go to EU server ingame due to the proximity. I mean, my bookmark already leads here.  :lol:

CompanionCube #29 Posted Jan 16 2011 - 23:10

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
i would really love an italian section for the new eu forum... the game is now awaiable in our language, why not?

scarysam8 #30 Posted Jan 16 2011 - 23:16

Private

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
Whats this about

After making your choice, your temporary account on the other non-selected server will be permanently banned.
The game rules have now been amended to allow players one account per server, so if you wish to make a new account on the other non-selected server, you may do so.

I don't understand so at the moment what server are we on and if we are European when if we pick Europe will we have to start back to square one with Tier 1 tank's no exp no gold.. Or is there going to be a softwipe and we pick a server and we still got free exp and gold etc.

Raptor #31 Posted Jan 16 2011 - 23:18

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
I was really looking forward to this but now I'm kinda sad. Our community will be split in two forums which isn't exactly necessary. I hope devs will rethink this and merge forums because 90% of forum content (game discussion, suggestions, creativity, newsletter and many other parts of forum) will be common nonetheless.

Recoil45 #32 Posted Jan 16 2011 - 23:34

Private

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
I would like to see one forum, however with the servers being split I do hope to see a vast improvement in the lag and connection issues that are blighting this fantastic game (for me in the UK anyhow).

dahool #33 Posted Jan 16 2011 - 23:43

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View PostHercegov, on Jan 16 2011 - 20:43, said:

No other online game has what you're asking for and neither will this one. As mentioned, It's a huge undertaking technically and not worth the time/effort/money.

Though both games are quire different, runescape does have a server selection capability for each individual login.

Baine #34 Posted Jan 16 2011 - 23:44

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
Why not one forum with several subforums for US/EU server topics.

VegaBonius #35 Posted Jan 16 2011 - 23:49

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 730 battles

View PostBaine, on Jan 16 2011 - 23:44, said:

Why not one forum with several subforums for US/EU server topics.

Yeah I was wondering that too :mellow:

Homer_J #36 Posted Jan 16 2011 - 23:55

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View Postscarysam8, on Jan 16 2011 - 23:16, said:

Whats this about

After making your choice, your temporary account on the other non-selected server will be permanently banned.
The game rules have now been amended to allow players one account per server, so if you wish to make a new account on the other non-selected server, you may do so.

I don't understand so at the moment what server are we on and if we are European when if we pick Europe will we have to start back to square one with Tier 1 tank's no exp no gold.. Or is there going to be a softwipe and we pick a server and we still got free exp and gold etc.

We are currently on the US server.

Your account will be copied to the EU server, so you will have two temporary accounts.

If you choose EU then your account on the US server will be banned.

If you choose US then your account on the EU server will be banned.

All your tanks, gold, etc. will be untouched.

scyrehawk #37 Posted Jan 16 2011 - 23:59

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 10186 battles

View PostArmorShark7, on Jan 16 2011 - 22:57, said:

Hopefully, with the new servers that nightmarish 200+ms ping will go away.
:Smile-hiding:

your complaining about 200ms lag? seriously get off the grass would you. There are many parts of the world which have that sort of ping for anything they play, yet they are just as competitive and successful as those that have natively lower pings.

FelipeII #38 Posted Jan 17 2011 - 00:04

Private

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
Is the end!!! Run run!!!  :P

Zekoo #39 Posted Jan 17 2011 - 00:11

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 5004 battles

View Postscyrehawk, on Jan 16 2011 - 23:59, said:

your complaining about 200ms lag? seriously get off the grass would you. There are many parts of the world which have that sort of ping for anything they play, yet they are just as competitive and successful as those that have natively lower pings.

So true, NZ and my ping is constant 250-350ms, but i do okay, if it were lower i could do a lot better though.

Anyway, forum split isn't exactly surprising, not exactly a big deal either, i mean, if your really good buddies with someone on the forum you must have another way too communicate with them then just a forum and if not sort something out, loads of instant messengers out there.

Some games have combined forums like EVE, but then EVE only has one server, someone said Darkfall has one forum, but Darkfall is complete crap from what i have heard so who would want to do anything that game does.

I think the splitting of the forums is more of a move for the future, this is an MMO and the developers want it to get as big as it can, imagine if it got as many subscribers as WoW and we were still on one forum, the forum just wouldn't be able to handle it, it would be slow as crap and constantly crash the server.

Splitting the server means that in say two years when this game is a lot bigger the forums will still be running fine, split it now instead of having to split it later, when the forum server cant handle the load.

That just my guess though.

scyrehawk #40 Posted Jan 17 2011 - 00:19

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 10186 battles

View PostZekoo, on Jan 17 2011 - 00:11, said:

So true, NZ and my ping is constant 250-350ms, but i do okay, if it were lower i could do a lot better though.

Anyway, forum split isn't exactly surprising, not exactly a big deal either, i mean, if your really good buddies with someone on the forum you must have another way too communicate with them then just a forum and if not sort something out, loads of instant messengers out there.

Some games have combined forums like EVE, but then EVE only has one server, someone said Darkfall has one forum, but Darkfall is complete crap from what i have heard so who would want to do anything that game does.

I think the splitting of the forums is more of a move for the future, this is an MMO and the developers want it to get as big as it can, imagine if it got as many subscribers as WoW and we were still on one forum, the forum just wouldn't be able to handle it, it would be slow as crap and constantly crash the server.

Splitting the server means that in say two years when this game is a lot bigger the forums will still be running fine, split it now instead of having to split it later, when the forum server cant handle the load.

That just my guess though.

heh always good to see another Kiwi.

Don't get me wrong, I have no issue at all with the split, I can see its advantages in many areas (plus I have a hunch there may be a little cross server "interaction" going on if I remember rightly the hinted comments that were made back at E3, down the line).

It just gets on my nerves when people whine about their pings when they really aren't outside acceptable norms for much of the world.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users