The Best IFV!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
21 replies to this topic

Poll: The Best IFV! (53 members have cast votes)

Wich is the best IFV in service today?

1. Bradley (24 votes [45.28%])

Percentage of vote: 45.28%

2. CV90 (15 votes [28.30%])

Percentage of vote: 28.30%

3. Warrior (5 votes [9.43%])

Percentage of vote: 9.43%

4. BMP (9 votes [16.98%])

Percentage of vote: 16.98%

Vote Hide poll

pattskaft #1 Posted Jan 19 2011 - 02:29

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
We're all discussing tanks, wich is cool, but there are other awesome vehicles out there called Infantry Fighting Vehicles.

I want to see your opinion on wich is the best of them!

Bradley http://en.wikipedia....ighting_Vehicle

CV90 http://en.wikipedia....mbat_Vehicle_90

Warrior http://en.wikipedia....rmoured_vehicle

BMP http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMP-3

Gigaton #2 Posted Jan 19 2011 - 03:24

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
The German Puma IMO. It's lacking from your poll though.

My personal experiences with the BMP series tell me that even if the BMP-3 is a great improvement over the older models, it's still likely to be quite crap in practise. The BMP-1 and BMP-2 are just horrible cramped tin boxes.

CV-90, another vehicle I have personal experience on, is a very nice though. Well built, well finished and easy to use. And whoever designed it remembered to keep easy of maintnance in mind. I voted CV90 of those options, as I don't think Bradley has it beat on anything except in fitting ATGMs as standard. In practise, the various CV90 models range from worse than Bradley to all around superior to Bradley depending on customers requests.

Waroch #3 Posted Jan 19 2011 - 07:53

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
I have no personal experience on any of these vehicles :D but I think your poll lacks IFV that just hit the market like the Puma and the VBCI

Hunt3rj2 #4 Posted Jan 22 2011 - 09:41

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 5931 battles
Few things failed to be mentioned:

The Warrior IFV only has powered traverse, elevation of the gun is manually cranked, the gun has to be reloaded after 6 rounds if the CO is not putting in clips into the Rarden. There is no FCS, no stabilization, and no automatic fire. The gun can only fire APDS, not the more modern APFSDS, and so the anti-IFV power of the gun is not as great. The WFLIP program to modernize the Warrior will fix these deficiencies though.

The BMP is simply a mess. The BMP-1 variants have ammo everywhere in the vehicle in the open, so any penetration is almost certain death, it's extremely cramped, and infantry trying to get out will literally have no protection while doing so. The gun of the BMP-1 is low velocity and unable to deal with any enemy IFVs, and the ATGM is very slow and easy to defeat. The BMP-2 has an autocannon capable of having good armor penetration, but it still suffers from having ammo lying around everywhere and in the open, poor dismounting for infantry, and is still incredibly cramped. The BMP-3 makes this worse by having 40 rounds of 100mm HE-FRAG sitting beneath the turret, along with 8 missiles, and 500 rounds of 30mm cannon, and still suffers from being cramped, having paper-thin armor, absolutely atrocious dismounting, and having the entire turret and gunner/CO go sky high if there is a penetration.

The Bradley is a very tall target, with thin tracks, an ATGM system that requires infantry in the back to pop a hatch to reload missiles, ammo lying in the dismount compartment, and a gun that is rapidly becoming outdated. The ATGMs can't be fired on the move, and the gunner has to wait a few seconds for the missiles to be ready to fire after stopping. Not as bad as the BMP, but there are some serious deficiencies in height, mobility, firepower, and personnel safety in case of armor penetration/ammo detonation.

The CV90 is honestly the best out of all, but it still has some problems. The gun that it carries in the CV9040 guise is enormous, with large turret intrusion, low ammo capacity, no independent commander periscope/thermal viewer. The Bofors 40mm L/70 is still rather inaccurate. The CV9035 does better in these respects, but is still not very accurate past 2 KM.

Puma is nice, but it has a 5.56mm coax, and the 30mm gun won't be very effective in a few decades.

If you wanted me to pick those in service now, I'd take a CV9035 or CV9030FIN, but if you wanted me to pick anything that would be appearing within the next decade, I'd take the Warrior with it's CTA40 gun and upgraded turret.

Gigaton #5 Posted Jan 25 2011 - 12:33

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View PostHunt3rj2, on Jan 22 2011 - 09:41, said:

The CV90 is honestly the best out of all, but it still has some problems. The gun that it carries in the CV9040 guise is enormous, with large turret intrusion, low ammo capacity, no independent commander periscope/thermal viewer.

A system called LEMUR has been developed for CV90 though. It functions akin to commander's periscope you would normally find on modern western MBT like Leopard 2, and supplements the panoramic periscopes. Mk III/CV9035 also has rotating commander's cupola which provides hunter-killer capability (and thermal imaging as well, I belive).

Isn't the upgrade program for Warrior more of an attempt to bring the vehicles up to standards of the modern Bradleys and CV90s than anything that would suprass them? Stuff like computer network, digital fire control computer and laser rangefinder are already standard stuff on most CVs and current Bradley variants.

SweetTransvestite #6 Posted Jan 25 2011 - 13:06

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 2 battles
BMP-3 has way more armor(30mm proof against the front) than the BMP-1 or BMP-2 :/

Either way none of these are perfect, but if they ever got the BMP-3(preferably BMP-3M) turret in a CV90 or something the resultant IFV will be an unstoppable piece of win

Gigaton #7 Posted Jan 25 2011 - 13:25

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View PostSweetTransvestite, on Jan 25 2011 - 13:06, said:

Either way none of these are perfect, but if they ever got the BMP-3(preferably BMP-3M) turret in a CV90 or something the resultant IFV will be an unstoppable piece of win

It might be crammed full of weapons, but the question is - would it still be crammed full of nifty LCD displays?

Merkava1 #8 Posted Jan 25 2011 - 14:18

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 14289 battles
Namer
LINK
Posted Image

Ogopogo #9 Posted Feb 21 2011 - 02:20

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 18884 battles
  • [NTR] NTR
It is kind of hard to determine the best IFV when there are kind of several types of sub types and purposes to each type.

An example of this is Canada and the LAV 3, the leopard 2 and the want for an AFV to support the leopard that is heavier armed. The two they are looking at are the CV90 and the puma.

The LAV 3 is a much better patrol AFV then other more heavy armored and armed AFV's (as it has more range and can go a good deal faster if necessary, but its lacks the armament of AFV's like the Bradley which can engage tanks. So it depends what you are saying are the things that make a great AFV.

I would say that the CV90 is probably the best currently (heavily armed), and the Puma is very close behind. The Bradley, BMP 3 and the warrior are all rather dated and modifications or updates can only go so far.

Ivy_Division #10 Posted Mar 01 2011 - 10:32

Private

• Players
  • 44 battles
As a former Bradley driver and gunner.. which do you think I'm going to pick?

But the most potent weapon of an IFV isn't its guns, missiles, whatever. Its the Infantry they carry.

Ogopogo #11 Posted Mar 01 2011 - 18:37

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 18884 battles
  • [NTR] NTR

View PostIvy_Division, on Mar 01 2011 - 10:32, said:

As a former Bradley driver and gunner.. which do you think I'm going to pick?

But the most potent weapon of an IFV isn't its guns, missiles, whatever. Its the Infantry they carry.

True that....

I love to play a game called project reality, which is a mod for BF2 focusing on realism, and the IFV's are best used supporting infantry and tanks, not soloing.

Lunaris #12 Posted Mar 01 2011 - 20:48

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 8216 battles
I think IFV is not for supporting tank but to support Infantry unit. Its not the infantry attached to the IFV unit but the IFV unit attached to the infantry.

Most carry auto cannons to support their Infantry. Bradley and BMP has anti tank weapon but i think warrior has the best armor.

Ivy_Division #13 Posted Mar 02 2011 - 07:59

Private

• Players
  • 44 battles

View PostLunaris, on Mar 01 2011 - 20:48, said:

I think IFV is not for supporting tank but to support Infantry unit. Its not the infantry attached to the IFV unit but the IFV unit attached to the infantry.

Most carry auto cannons to support their Infantry. Bradley and BMP has anti tank weapon but i think warrior has the best armor.

In the US Army is neither. Mechanized Infantry is as much Bradley as it is Infantry. Both are part of the same unit, and one without the other would be useless.

Mainly being.. and this is the caveat. Mech Infantry is generally segregated into its own compartment. I was Armor Crew, but I wasn't Armor. I was Infantry.

skullorz #14 Posted Mar 03 2011 - 00:41

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 4726 battles
The US Military is planning on replacing the Majority of their armored vehicles with new prototypes

Ivy_Division #15 Posted Mar 03 2011 - 09:46

Private

• Players
  • 44 battles

View Postskullorz, on Mar 03 2011 - 00:41, said:

The US Military is planning on replacing the Majority of their armored vehicles with new prototypes

Cite your sources.

skullorz #16 Posted Mar 05 2011 - 06:55

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 4726 battles
For those who cant google....

http://defense-updat...at_vehicle.html

pershinggulf #17 Posted Jun 30 2011 - 02:08

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 185 battles
on the list, the Bradly

In reality? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMPT

The BMPT beats them all.

Also, that site is old as all hell.

Slacker #18 Posted Jun 30 2011 - 02:40

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 2507 battles
I go with the Namer for best APC as it has such great survivability.

Best IFV PUMA cause it seems to be the best all rounder. Has a good gun,good protection,good crew compartment and its just awesome. For the people talking about its 5.56mm coax it can also use a 7.62mm MG3 they use the MG4 because it makes ammo easier to get. I think the MG3 is a better coaxial weapon though 1200 rounds per min is hard to complain about.

AngusMcAWESOME #19 Posted Jun 30 2011 - 15:54

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 5290 battles
  • [COBT] COBT

View Postskullorz, on Mar 03 2011 - 00:41, said:

Considering the US Military has also been planning on replacing the M16/M4 for about 30 years now, I wouldn't put much stock in them asking for vendors to submit potential designs for a new IFV when they've tried several tiems now to replace the M113 and the Bradley without fielding an anything (and pissing away billions of tax dollars while producing that gaping whole of nothingness to boot).

Ogopogo #20 Posted Jun 30 2011 - 18:36

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 18884 battles
  • [NTR] NTR
DARPA recently did a competition for a new vehicle to potentially replace the hummer in some roles, the XC2V was made in just under 14 weeks. Crowd-sourcing may become a bigger thing as time roles on (not so much for tanks or jets).