Mods in 8.8

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
47 replies to this topic

Maggz #21 Posted Aug 23 2013 - 21:32

Captain

• Players
  • 38932 battles
for people who only do graphical interface mods, the action scripts dont really pertain to anything relevent H8M3, i do understand all the time and effort people like you put into these mods as i do the exact same thing for what amounts to basically only my clan mates. That being said, i do hate to see you discouraged over this next patch, as for the most part from what ive seen your mods are mainly just changing images inside of others SWf files around (which is predominatly what 99% of all the AIOmods are anyways) If you are not authoring your very own custom swf files these action script changes will never affect you aside from the delay that may come from the original authors update to conform to this new setup. For those original authors changing the format to the newest version of actionscript should not amount to any real hassle, as the current AS being used is obsolete in any other format on the internet. Keep in mind this change isnt something WG imposed, it is simply an update to the way the internal SWf reader handles actionscripts. It should be veiwed as an overall update to this game as a whole, which should increase its stability. I do understand people dont like change and progress happening at such drastic rates, however This game is evolving very fast and the devs are putting in alot of time to do all this. I for one am really looking forward to this. I will leave you with this snippet off adobe website explaining the need for this update and hope this helps you understand things fully.

"ActionScript 3.0 is a powerful, object-oriented programming language that signifies an important step in the evolution of the capabilities of the Flash Player runtime. The motivation driving ActionScript 3.0 is to create a language ideally suited for rapidly building rich Internet applications, which have become an essential part of the web experience.

Earlier versions of ActionScript offered the power and flexibility required for creating truly engaging online experiences. ActionScript 3.0 now further advances the language, providing superb performance and ease of development to facilitate highly complex applications, large datasets, and object-oriented, reusable code bases. With ActionScript 3.0, developers can achieve excellent productivity and performance with content and applications that target Flash Player.

ActionScript 3.0 is based on ECMAScript, the international standardized programming language for scripting. ActionScript 3.0 is compliant with the ECMAScript Language Specification, Third Edition (ECMA-262). It also contains functionality based on ongoing work on ECMAScript Edition 4, occurring within the ECMA standards body.

ActionScript is executed by the ActionScript Virtual Machine (AVM) built into the Flash Player. AVM1, the virtual machine used to execute legacy ActionScript code, powers Flash Player today and makes possible a wide range of interactive media and rich Internet applications.

However, developers have started to push AVM1 to its limits; their project requirements now demand a major breakthrough. ActionScript 3.0 introduces a new highly optimized ActionScript Virtual Machine, AVM2, which dramatically exceeds the performance possible with AVM1. As a result, ActionScript 3.0 code executes up to 10 times faster than legacy ActionScript code."

Now reading this should help you to understand the need for this change to help push this game into a more stable and faster responding setup. I do hope this post will help others see this need.

misscleo #22 Posted Aug 23 2013 - 22:07

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 19857 battles

View PostH8M3, on Aug 23 2013 - 15:38, said:

im done spending 28+ hours to "fix" a aio after an update. i wont be putting out another until GW sticks to one build for more then two weeks. Ive already removed my post from here n w way for other reasons. Time to find a new game to waste me time and money on. good luck everyone with your WG leash dragin ya around in circles.
Yeah bro it must be tough taking other peoples work and putting all of it in the proper folders. Gl with your next endeavor.
Anyway it's about damn time they updated from that legacy script, AS3 is much better, feature rich, and faster.

Maggz #23 Posted Aug 24 2013 - 05:35

Captain

• Players
  • 38932 battles
I have already went thru the trouble of putting my battletimer and debug .swf files into 3.0 action script in my latest recompile, believe it or not. It already works inside of 8.7. Since it is all just based upon mathematical functions which were not modified thru AS 3.0 it was absolutly simple to change.

Guest_Dukebarry_* #24 Posted Aug 24 2013 - 07:38

They are already rewriting the mods for the new script program,
Maggz is exactly right.
Basic mods should be ready when the patch drops.

Maggz #25 Posted Aug 25 2013 - 07:57

Captain

• Players
  • 38932 battles
really the only real issues im seeing in this action script change is going to come from some crosshair mods (complex sight mods like deegies and things of that nature which add alot to your crosshair) and some of the damage panels mods. Most everything else is going to be a walk in the park to redo for 8.8. I am actually excited to do these changes and am hopeful to see some much needed improvement into this game.

Flashram #26 Posted Aug 25 2013 - 18:10

Captain

• Players
  • 18085 battles
locastan mentioned he will stop modding because of the new AS, as well as a few others. This is a huge blow.

blasterthecoolguy #27 Posted Aug 25 2013 - 18:58

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 5364 battles
the only reason I can see for changing AS version is for performance,stability, or security reasons. igf they want it just because it's newer then it will make things harder for everyone else.

SRQFlyer #28 Posted Aug 25 2013 - 21:02

Corporal

• Players
  • 68869 battles

View Postblasterthecoolguy, on Aug 25 2013 - 18:58, said:

the only reason I can see for changing AS version is for performance,stability, or security reasons. igf they want it just because it's newer then it will make things harder for everyone else.

ActionScript 1 is also being  deprecated by Adobe and out of support.

Maggz #29 Posted Aug 25 2013 - 23:03

Captain

• Players
  • 38932 battles
this really wont make any real significant changes to our swf files, people jumping the gun and getting upset over this is just people who really dont know why it is being updated. This will not make anything we currently do any harder. It will make things faster cleaner and have the ability to do even more. YES i said do even more.

TheRepoMan #30 Posted Aug 26 2013 - 02:22

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 12686 battles
  • [-LEG-] -LEG-

View PostBlasFemy, on Aug 20 2013 - 19:16, said:

I was reading about version 8.8, and found in the notes that they are saying most mods wont work in 8.8 due to Wg moving to a new version of Actionscript.
Here is the quote "a lot (most) mods will not work in 8.8, as WoT is moving on new version of ActionScript". I sure hope the people who make these wonderful mods can adapt quickly.
:confused: Site url is http://ftr.wot-news.com

I'm going to choose to ignore this info, as the provided link is NOT TO A WG SITE..

HYDRA_666 #31 Posted Aug 26 2013 - 02:51

Sergeant

• Players
  • 28111 battles

View Postmcalvi52, on Aug 20 2013 - 19:23, said:

the only mods i play with is zoomout will that be affected?

If u r using zoomout ur account should be banned. Zoomout is a banned mod and its iligal to use it. Ask a world of tanks admin...

arasgrandpa #32 Posted Aug 26 2013 - 05:41

Sergeant

• Players
  • 31641 battles
So in test, most mods still work.  I have tested 3 sight mods, my two posted on Curse and another from the RU servers (for 8.8).  They all three work fine. To get them to work go into res_mods/0.8.8 Common Test/gui and create a directory called /scaleform, put your .swf mods in there, not in /flash. Most of the damage panels I have tested and they work.  Clock in the hangar not working, zoom and sniper zoom not working. My sound mods work, but the scripted ones HR etc will need new .xml scripts.
As I say MOST will work.  WG not only changed ActionScript, they changed a lot of file formatting and names.  There are now files in /flash for crosshairs and in /scaleform for crosshairs just as an example.
XVM is hosed at the moment.  I have a limping along version, but its missing a lot and has some strange bugs.  On the XVM forum there is a list of which files to put where to get the limping version, but at this point its now worth it..At least to me, a lot of XVM rework will be necessary to get back to the 0.8.7 point.
All the "static" graphics mods work fine from 0.8.7, content mods, skins, background screens, vehicle icons, etc.
test is buggy and I hope they get a fix out this week, but for now I am done testing until they do a patch..
I agree with Maggz, this will not change modding.  There will probably be a delay for updates to 0.8.8 due to modders making some adjustments and some modders will drop out. It will require more work to get things straight again and I for one will pick and choose what I make a priority and what may fall out and be dropped.  Some things will stop as the modders just don't want to put forth the effort to rewrite, but most will continue or it will be picked up by others. ActionScript 3 does make it more difficult to mod without rewriting the whole thing. In the past I could "infuse" some code bits and make it work, now don't think I will be able to use that techniques with AS3, oh well, just learn new trick..
Anyway, be patient with the modders for updates after this release, they will be busy..

Edited by arasgrandpa, Aug 26 2013 - 05:52.

arasgrandpa #33 Posted Aug 26 2013 - 05:45

Sergeant

• Players
  • 31641 battles

If u r using zoomout ur account should be banned. Zoomout is a banned mod and its iligal to use it. Ask a world of tanks admin..

Pure BS, WG has already said zoom is OK.  There is a zoom that allows the camera to detach from the tank, that is a cheat and banned, but the normal zoom mod is not.  Get you facts straight before posting BS.

TheRepoMan #34 Posted Aug 26 2013 - 06:06

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 12686 battles
  • [-LEG-] -LEG-

View Post_Spicy_, on Aug 26 2013 - 02:51, said:

If u r using zoomout ur account should be banned. Zoomout is a banned mod and its iligal to use it. Ask a world of tanks admin...

I think you need to do some reading, THERE ARE NO BANNED MODS ON THE NA SERVER AT THIS TIME (subject to change of course)..

.. So stop spreading mis-information if you don't know what you're talking about.

Cris738 #35 Posted Aug 27 2013 - 03:59

Sergeant

• Players
  • 4170 battles
Welp there goes the 48.something winrate that I work hard on with the help of XVM. Welp back to the red sat  color for me  :sad:  :angry:

blowwer282 #36 Posted Aug 27 2013 - 05:51

Major

• Players
  • 6376 battles
Honeslty I don't mind XVM ... because I don't have it .... BUT I don't want my Sight mod to go ... I really like it ;-;

Maggz #37 Posted Aug 27 2013 - 05:56

Captain

• Players
  • 38932 battles
most things will work in this new setup, people are just stressing over nothing at this point in time to be honest with you. Mods take alot of time and effort, just give the modders a bit of time and this will be rolling shortly after patch goes live. You will have to make sure you are using updated mods, Which all users should be doing anyhow. So this really isnt a huge change for the normal players here, just a bit of change on how the mod coders go about putting thier stuff out.

Junior_g99p #38 Posted Aug 27 2013 - 07:44

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 12697 battles

View PostSRQFlyer, on Aug 25 2013 - 21:02, said:

ActionScript 1 is also being  deprecated by Adobe and out of support.
The game didn't use ActionScript "1", it didn't even support it ( Hell, not even Scaleform supported it ); Stop spewing your ignorance.

SRQFlyer #39 Posted Aug 28 2013 - 01:50

Corporal

• Players
  • 68869 battles

View Post_Spicy_, on Aug 26 2013 - 02:51, said:

What makes you think it is banned?

SRQFlyer #40 Posted Aug 28 2013 - 01:52

Corporal

• Players
  • 68869 battles

View PostJunior_g99p, on Aug 27 2013 - 07:44, said:

The game didn't use ActionScript "1", it didn't even support it ( Hell, not even Scaleform supported it ); Stop spewing your ignorance.

Open up any reticle mod in Adobe Flash Builder, and you will see the scripts in there.  You can also go to Adobe.com to read about cc6  deprecating AS1.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users