• This topic is locked This topic is locked
15 replies to this topic

Spanktankk #1 Posted Aug 21 2013 - 14:58

Major

• Players
  • 40126 battles
  • [KFB] KFB
Newcomers, welcome!
Here's a short list of tips/tricks I have learned along the way that will make the game much more enjoyable.  Many of these tips it took me 6000+ games to find, so I'd like to point you to them so you can enjoy what other "pro" players know.
I'll keep them simple, and explain why you need them.  There are dozens, nay HUNDREDS of things you will learn, but here are some of the most-common, easiest-overlooked, and at the same time most beneficial hints/tips/tricks.  These are more Garage/Store/Depot hints than Gameplay tips/tactics.  There are dozens of Gameplay tutorials, guides, etc etc already here on the forums and website.  Please ask questions if you have any.
  • Dont sell a tank unless you HAVE to.  Yes, WoT only gives you a half dozen tank slots, and you can buy more, but dont sell a tank unless you absolutely need to/have to to free up a garage slot or desperately need cash.
  • While you dont HAVE to spend money on this game, I would suggest buying a small amount of gold (after you have played a while).  Keep this on hand to buy garage slots when they are on sale (every few months) and expand your Barracks if you need to.
  • Always send your crew to the Barracks when selling a tank, especially if they have higher crew skills.  You can use these crews on New tanks in the future, and crews with upgraded skills make a tank more effective.  WAY more effective.
  • Save up a little cash (silver credits) for "rainy days".  This would include buying a tank you have your eye on when it comes on sale, Equipment sales, Consumables sales, and other stuff.
  • BUY CONSUMABLES.  This includes Repair Kits, Fire Extinguishers, and Med Kits.  These come up on sale every few months too.  Stock up when you can.  You can buy extras and keep them in your Depot.  Ever shoot an enemy, track him, and wonder how his track got fixed...immediately?  Repair Kit.  Ever get set on fire, and lose 50-80% of your health?   A Fire Extinguisher can put the fire out while only losing much less health, and you will stay alive longer...to help your team Win, AND make more credits.  Fire Extinguishers, Repair Kits, and Med Kits will pay for themselves... especially if you buy them on sale... as they will help you stay in the game longer, and do more damage.  Load these Consumables onto your most-played or favorite tanks, or all if possible.  Also, I have "automatically repair" and "automatically resupply" clicked on ALL my tanks under the Service tab.  ALL.
  • Clean out your Depot of unused tank Modules occasionally.  When you upgrade your gun on your BT-2, the old one goes into your Depot.  Sell it for cash/silver Credits.
  • Once you have "Elited" a tank (unlocked all the modules and the next tank in the tree) I strongly suggest to turn on Accelerate Crew Training if you plan on keeping the tank.  This will train the crew faster.
  • Read the Forums.  Every once in a while, there will be a manufacturers promo (usually link to a website) where they give away Gold, and sometimes free tanks.  Also, WG occasionally has promos like the Change your Password earlier this year, which gave out free gold.  Pay attention to the Forums, and be ready to act.
  • DO NOT be in a rush to run up the tiers to get a Tier 10.  Enjoy the ride, perfect your skills, and find the tanks you like to play.  Find platoon mates here on the forum, as platooning adds TONS of fun to playing PUB (public) matches.
  • Also, watch the WoT website for weekly specials.  This could include discounted tanks, Missions which give extra credits/XP, or even contests that award Gold.
  • Buy a Premium tank if you want, I suggest a Tier 4-5 premium tank until you get a few thousand games under your belt and naturally progress past Tier 5 through the tech trees.  Once you figure out what "playstyle" you like (heavy, medium, light, SPG, TD) look for one of those Premium tanks.  Premium tanks will give you extra credits and Free XP, which you can convert with Gold if you wish, then use on ANY tank.  Also, Premium tanks can train crews in other like minded tanks (example:  T14 American Heavy premium tank can train other American Heavy tank crews) with no penalty.
I could post lots more, but wanted to keep this semi-short.
Good luck out there!
Spank

LPrime #2 Posted Aug 21 2013 - 14:59

Corporal

• Players
  • 6877 battles
Tip 8.   Don't read these forums.
FTFY
I kid I kid. Good info. I would add a few things.
12. + and - keys make your minimap larger/smaller. I know people will facepalm, but I didn't know this through my first 1k battles. Didn't bother downloading the pdf manual.
13. wotreplays.com when you get a new tank, check out replays of quality players to see what they do. You will find a ton of great spots to snipe from, routes to take etc..
14. Unless you are a scout, the middle of the map is almost always a place to avoid.

Edited by LPrime, Aug 21 2013 - 15:06.

Spanktankk #3 Posted Aug 21 2013 - 15:07

Major

• Players
  • 40126 battles
  • [KFB] KFB

View PostLPrime, on Aug 21 2013 - 14:59, said:

Tip 8.   Don't read these forums.
FTFY
Or lets say "There is some good info on the Forum and alot of everything else"
+1 for the Minimap hint and Replays.

Spanktankk #4 Posted Aug 21 2013 - 15:18

Major

• Players
  • 40126 battles
  • [KFB] KFB

View PostSilty, on Aug 21 2013 - 15:13, said:

How much were you paid to post this?
WG is giving me the new Tier 13 Ratte for free.
Spoiler                     

_Woe_ #5 Posted Aug 21 2013 - 15:20

Captain

• Players
  • 16402 battles
In a nutshell: Don't die and do damage by maintaining situational awareness.
  • To avoid dying: *don't be the only jerkoff visible to the enemy team, *don't enter enemy killzones, *don't unnecessarily trade hp and *always have an out.
  • To do damage: *shoot tanks you can hurt.
  • To maintain situational awareness: *keep one eye glued to the minimap, *note enemy and ally positions alike and kill or neutralize priority targets: SPG's first, autoloaders second, skilled players third (use your discretion on a situational basis).

Spanktankk #6 Posted Aug 21 2013 - 15:27

Major

• Players
  • 40126 battles
  • [KFB] KFB
To elaborate on crew skills and Equipment:
Ever wonder why the enemy KV-1 can shoot faster than your KV-1 ..with the same gun?
Or why an enemy Marder II could see your Marder II ..and shoot you first... before you saw him?
Upgraded crew skills and Equipment you can buy will give your crews the advantage.  The more you play your tank, the more your crew skills improve.   Maximum view range, Cammo skills, firefighting/repair skills, Gunner (aiming) and even reload times (Loader skills) will all make your tank more effective. Buying things like Binoculars, or Coated Optics, Rammers, and GLD (Gun Laying Drives -again, wait for the Sales if you can) will also give your tank the advantage over the enemy.

NoDreams_OnlyTears #7 Posted Aug 21 2013 - 15:30

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 31087 battles
Another helpful tip - put 6th sense on ever tank you own. It doesn't work until you reach 100% but for a Scout, Med, and TD it's a lifesaver. I even like it on my heavies so I know when arty is aiming at me.

mrphill #8 Posted Aug 21 2013 - 16:13

Corporal

• Players
  • 9136 battles
+1

Good info... Where was this for me 6000 games ago?   :blinky:

Spanktankk #9 Posted Aug 21 2013 - 16:29

Major

• Players
  • 40126 battles
  • [KFB] KFB

View Postmrphill, on Aug 21 2013 - 16:13, said:

+1

Good info... Where was this for me 6000 games ago?   :blinky:
Ahh..If I could erase my first 6 k games of BT-2 noob-sui-rushing and not even knowing about Sniper Mode.  :teethhappy:

Sperikitik #10 Posted Aug 23 2013 - 16:51

Private

• Players
  • 10316 battles
  • [NGS] NGS
HI, new in the forum.  I bought golds through paypal but somehow it's not getting through.  I did it twice and it did the same thing so I stop but at least my account is not charged with those two transactions.  Any pointers on how to buy gold is greatly appreciated.  TIA

BTW I love this game, 'am now slowly becoming addicted to it. Peace!  ;-o)

c911darkwolf #11 Posted Aug 23 2013 - 17:45

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 6158 battles

View PostSpanktankk, on Aug 21 2013 - 14:58, said:

Honestly dude I couldn't read a word printed I couldn't pull my eyes away from you're avatar...

Makzordxx #12 Posted Aug 28 2013 - 17:25

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles
Drink few beers,and you'll enjoy WoT as you never did :D

Spanktankk #13 Posted Aug 30 2013 - 13:36

Major

• Players
  • 40126 battles
  • [KFB] KFB

View PostUncoolron, on Aug 23 2013 - 16:51, said:

HI, new in the forum.  I bought golds through paypal but somehow it's not getting through.  I did it twice and it did the same thing so I stop but at least my account is not charged with those two transactions.  Any pointers on how to buy gold is greatly appreciated.  TIA

BTW I love this game, 'am now slowly becoming addicted to it. Peace!  ;-o)
  Open a Support Ticket.  I have made Gold Purchase transactions that never went through.  Working as intended.

View Postc911darkwolf, on Aug 23 2013 - 17:45, said:

Honestly dude I couldn't read a word printed I couldn't pull my eyes away from you're avatar...
  Changed it (avitar) for the summer.  Kiddies playing WoT made me that way.

View PostMakzordxx, on Aug 28 2013 - 17:25, said:

Drink few beers,and you'll enjoy WoT as you never did :D
  I play better after 2-3 homebrews.  True story.

DarkNamelessOne #14 Posted Aug 30 2013 - 13:45

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 4335 battles
Thanks for info. Super Noob here.

Frijolero #15 Posted Aug 30 2013 - 14:58

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 26462 battles

View PostSpanktankk, on Aug 21 2013 - 14:58, said:

Once you have "Elited" a tank (unlocked all the modules and the next tank in the tree) I strongly suggest to turn on Accelerate Crew Training if you plan on keeping the tank.  This will train the crew faster.

I say you must always activate accelerate crew training once the tank is elited. Unless you plan to waste gold upon converting the exp into free exp (wich is the worst way to use gold imho), its is always better to send the exp to your crew instead let it accumulate in a tank you may not use again in the future.

Spanktankk #16 Posted Sep 16 2013 - 21:47

Major

• Players
  • 40126 battles
  • [KFB] KFB

View PostFrijolero, on Aug 30 2013 - 14:58, said:

I say you must always activate accelerate crew training once the tank is elited. Unless you plan to waste gold upon converting the exp into free exp (wich is the worst way to use gold imho), its is always better to send the exp to your crew instead let it accumulate in a tank you may not use again in the future.

Good catch, +1

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users