How to Control your Win Rate

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
75 replies to this topic

BigTango #41 Posted Sep 03 2013 - 22:16

Corporal

• Players
  • 18394 battles
Outstanding, my friend. I have been really struggling to improve my game, too, and it's great to hear so many others guys are right where I am. Very helpful and well done. +1

Reckers #42 Posted Sep 05 2013 - 17:43

Captain

• Players
  • 11803 battles
Well written and good advice:  I'll work on following it.  +1!

RaceZyzy #43 Posted Sep 12 2013 - 13:43

Private

• Players
  • 6921 battles
I am somewhat new, and have been reading these guides (unfortunately, I found them a little late). The question I have, is if I am just a little over 1000 battles (total) with a < 50% win rate and tier 4/5 tanks, should i just recreate the account to start over to get the higher rating, or is there still hope ?

Edited by RaceZyzy, Sep 12 2013 - 13:43.

Clanky44 #44 Posted Sep 12 2013 - 14:30

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 29653 battles

View PostRaceZyzy, on Sep 12 2013 - 13:43, said:

I am somewhat new, and have been reading these guides (unfortunately, I found them a little late). The question I have, is if I am just a little over 1000 battles (total) with a < 50% win rate and tier 4/5 tanks, should i just recreate the account to start over to get the higher rating, or is there still hope ?

I had a quick peak at you stats. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like you've had difficulties in tanks and have gone to what is more of a comfort zone for you. That being artillery.  My suggestion would be to pick a TD and to learn the mechanics and the maps. A TD does not need to be up front, it needs proper placement in a battle and to use proper camo techniques. Stay with one crew/TD for a good while to build up the crews stats while you learn the maps. The US TD are great and at tier 4 you get the great M8A1 which will act dual purpose, TD/scout. Recreating your account will not help you as you will be repeating your prior follies.

Koschka #45 Posted Sep 12 2013 - 15:09

Major

• Players
  • 6977 battles
  • [R-INC] R-INC

View PostRaceZyzy, on Sep 12 2013 - 13:43, said:

No not at 1k battles you are still new enough that it would be very easy to get your stats to go up. Besides pay attention to your 60 day stats, if they are trending upwards then you are doing well and that's all that matters.

mattwong #46 Posted Sep 12 2013 - 16:23

Major

• Players
  • 30470 battles

View PostLittleWhiteMouse, on Sep 01 2013 - 10:34, said:

The Importance of Vehicle Choice
I'm a firm believer in practice making perfect (or at least better). Focusing on a single vehicle provides several advantages when you're trying to improve your performance.

It certainly does, particularly in tricky activities like shooting scouts from range, where the velocity of your shell becomes very important.  The counterpoint is that if you over-optimize your playing style to a particular tank, you may actually become worse at other tanks.  The learning curve to switch tanks might be higher.  Nevertheless, I imagine sticking to a tank or a series of similar tanks would help your win-rate, although I prefer to keep switching it up anyway, even though I know this probably hurts my win-rate.

Gunnery. Few other skills will improve your performance more than being able to make your gun inflicts damage every time you shoot it. Included in this are: Armour penetration mechanics, ammunition types, weak point targeting and knowing the different play styles required of high-alpha guns vs high DPM guns.

Yes.  I would also add the aforementioned ability to shoot moving scouts at range.  Some players are very good at this, and I must admit that I am not.  Part of this is just the slowing reflexes that accompany the aging process (I'm 43 years old), but part of it is also the fact that I play a wide variety of different tanks with differing shell speeds, which makes it tricky for me to estimate how much to lead the target by.

Also, I would suggest that every new player go "cold turkey" on gold rounds for a while.  Play for a month or two without loading a single gold round in your vehicle, so you'll learn how to play without them.  They're a useful tool, and certain tanks can only reach their potential with them, but too many new players become totally dependent on them.

Map Awareness. Knowing the best defensive positions on the map is one thing. It's another to understand what sections of the map provide you cover from what angles and from what form of attacks.

This is my weakest area.  I don't use training rooms to figure out things like great hull-down spots on maps, and I tend to just rumble off in a certain direction and then ad-lib as I go along.  I am somewhat prone to being shanked by people who know the maps better than me.  As a result, I don't do well in tanks that require a more passive playing style.  In my IS-6, where the motto is "always forward, not one step back", it's not quite as important to learn the "good spots" on a map, so to speak.  In an IS-6, your purpose on the team is to disrupt the enemy's plan by aggressively pushing forward anyway.  But in my Centurion or my SU-122-54, it's a different story.

Keep your Gun in the Game

Definitely true.  Let's just say that this is easier with some tanks than others, however ;)

I faced two major hurdles in trying to catch on to this: the urge to camp and the urge to be aggressive. Neither of these are bad in of themselves and they do have their place in the grand strategy of World of Tanks pub gameplay. However, finding the proper balance between the two is key.

The really tricky thing is that this proper balance varies from tank to tank.  As I mentioned before, what works in one tank can be disastrous in another.

Imagine if you could remove from your records every game that you lost because the enemy snuck a base capture out from under your potential win. How many games is that? One? A dozen? A hundred? It adds up.

Those are the most frustrating losses.  I find that it's most common on Steppes in Encounter matches, where there's a heavy tank slugfest in the west but the flag is in the east.  Sometimes you can win in the west and start east when the enemy is only at 1% cap, but still not get there in time.

Now that you can best any single tank you might face one on one, figure out how to do it while taking as little damage as possible -- preferably none. If you know you can beat any one tank on it's own, if you can set yourself up to be in peak fighting condition at each engagement, you're going to go a long way towards increasing your potential to carry a win against steep odds.

I'm not at this level, where I can 1v1 someone without taking damage (unless he has an inferior tank, of course).  Part of it is my bad old-guy reflexes, although I could probably stand to improve my tactics.  People always say "don't peek-a-boo", but there are so many corridors in maps where it's difficult to do anything else.  Relocating to a different avenue of approach often only leads to another game of peek-a-boo against a different defender, and rushing into a slugfest often just means you'll get hammered by multiple enemies while your teammates sit back and watch.

All too often in landslide matches, the victors spread out trying to hunt down the last survivors. Very often, they drip feed themselves in ones and twos against these tanks. If they come all at once, you're dead. But if they make this mistake (which pubs so often do), you may be able to greatly increase the affect you have on the outcome of the game.

This is true.  It's so frustrating to see teammates rush to get the last guy one by one, without waiting for backup so they can take him from multiple directions at once.

There is little as liberating as freeing yourself from the menace of a being a victim of RNG.  Sure, there will be some games you did everything right and you still lost.  It happens.  But always ask yourself:  Did you make the best of a losing situation?

I can usually think of something I should or could have done better.  Of course, it's easy to do that when you have time to analyze.  In the heat of the moment, stupid decisions can and do get made.

Anyway, good guide.  +1.

Koschka #47 Posted Sep 12 2013 - 16:49

Major

• Players
  • 6977 battles
  • [R-INC] R-INC
That and it goes with out saying avoid derp moments. I had a recent game that is a good example of what a derp moment can lead to. In my stug3 I noticed the hetzer but got target locked on the SU-76 in front of me and thought I could sneak a side shot into it. I should have known better, the hetzer rolled just over the lip of the hill and blasted me in the side as I was lining up my shot. he could have one shot killed me but didn't. I took my shot killing the SU, then backed off down the hill, waiting for the het to come over and finish me. As he came over I backed up a bit more into a depression behind me lowering me even more and the het over shot me, had he hit that would have been it game over, all because of a derp moment from me.

But he missed, I shot him in the lower plate set him on fire and watched him roll past me on fire, I turned and put another round into him to be sure, giving me my second kill of the game. From that point on I went on to rack up a lot more damage and get 4 more kills in the game.

The point of my little story here is this is a prime example of how you can greatly influence your win rate. I say this because this shows how one mistake can take you out early and then leave all that damage and kills undone. I got lucky and survived my derp moment, had I not. Well my team very well might have lost, it was a fairly close match. So had the hetzer one shotted me with the first shot or not missed his second I would have done maybe 25% of the damage I did and killed 5 fewer tanks for my team. So play smart and avoid derp moments alone can likely give you a average of a couple of hundred points on wn7 and 1-3% better win rate easily, over the course of all your battles.

That is where I am right now, learning to not make those derp moments. I for the most part don't but i still make them from time to time. Like in my Tiger 2 I tried to cross the street to finish off a guy that backed around the next corner, I knew there was enemy tanks at the other end of the cross street but I thought they was to busy fighting our guys at the other end of the cross street to see or bother with me... I was wrong. They wrecked me with side shots and I died with out getting another shot off. Luckily my team won anyways and we was winning at that point fairly well, but in a close match, my derp moment there could have cost me the game instead of getting that win. So another example like the stug one on how derp moments cost you and often cost your team.

xxTEKxx #48 Posted Sep 12 2013 - 17:07

Sergeant

• Players
  • 4407 battles
I wish I had read this thread a week ago. + 1 for you sir. Now off to war with a renewed sense of direction and purpose.  :trollface:

RaceZyzy #49 Posted Sep 12 2013 - 17:10

Private

• Players
  • 6921 battles
I really appreciate your input. I have the T40 TD. Should I get the other instead? I originally wanted to do scouting and got the M5 but it has been a long grind to get the Chaffee. I am afraid I really screwed up the stats in that vehicle as part of the learning process. I have really enjoyed the SPGs. I like working with the minimap and following a more strategic play rather than tactical. I am a bit older and not as steady a hand for the point on cannon shooting.

I will give the TD's more tries, but I have found them difficult to be able to aim, whereas with the arty, i can actually "drive" tanks to places even by missing in the right direction. I study the tanks I am likely to come across and zoom in on the weak spots in the arty. I have a harder time doing that in the TD.

RaceZyzy #50 Posted Sep 12 2013 - 17:10

Private

• Players
  • 6921 battles
oops

Edited by RaceZyzy, Sep 12 2013 - 17:11.

Clanky44 #51 Posted Sep 12 2013 - 17:30

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 29653 battles

View PostRaceZyzy, on Sep 12 2013 - 17:10, said:

I really appreciate your input. I have the T40 TD. Should I get the other instead? I originally wanted to do scouting and got the M5 but it has been a long grind to get the Chaffee.
The other line of TD's might be more in line with your play style. The M8A1 is a smaller target than the T40, better camo rating, is turreted and can be played as a passive/active scout. Get a camo net, binocs, and spend a few dollars on camo. You should be able pick and choose your battles, and all along learn the maps. Which is what I'm doing myself one tier higher in the T49.
Best of luck.

OuttaGum #52 Posted Sep 12 2013 - 20:21

Sergeant

• Players
  • 19795 battles

View PostColdWar82, on Sep 01 2013 - 13:51, said:

One sure way to lower your rate is to play every tank in your garage until you get your daily double.

I was thinking this as well, until I did the math.

The expected number of games played until you win, assuming a true probability of winning of (p), is 1/p.

So it balances out.

Think of it this way: if you had 100 tanks to reach your daily doubles on, and your true win rate is 70%, you will expect to win the first game and stop on 70 of them - 100% win rate for the day. That balances out the remaining 30, where you take (at least) one loss.

mattwong #53 Posted Sep 12 2013 - 20:49

Major

• Players
  • 30470 battles
I did the "play each tank until I get my daily double" technique for most of my games.  It doesn't seem to be any worse than any other method.  As you point out, the first-game-win phenomenon keeps it from being a net-loss strategy.

Koschka #54 Posted Sep 12 2013 - 21:09

Major

• Players
  • 6977 battles
  • [R-INC] R-INC

View Postmattwong, on Sep 12 2013 - 20:49, said:

I did the "play each tank until I get my daily double" technique for most of my games.  It doesn't seem to be any worse than any other method.  As you point out, the first-game-win phenomenon keeps it from being a net-loss strategy.

I do the same, I do the daily doubles on all the tanks I am working on. Then I play anywhere from 3-10 games in my favorite tanks that I tend to do well in. By then I am out of time for the day. I imagine if all I played was the tanks I did well in my stats would go up, but I like playing a variety.

jerv #55 Posted Sep 12 2013 - 22:10

Major

• Players
  • 7697 battles
  • [BURNS] BURNS
<p>

View PostRaceZyzy, on Sep 12 2013 - 17:10, said:

I really appreciate your input. I have the T40 TD. Should I get the other instead? I originally wanted to do scouting and got the M5 but it has been a long grind to get the Chaffee. I am afraid I really screwed up the stats in that vehicle as part of the learning process. I have really enjoyed the SPGs. I like working with the minimap and following a more strategic play rather than tactical. I am a bit older and not as steady a hand for the point on cannon shooting.

I will give the TD's more tries, but I have found them difficult to be able to aim, whereas with the arty, i can actually "drive" tanks to places even by missing in the right direction. I study the tanks I am likely to come across and zoom in on the weak spots in the arty. I have a harder time doing that in the TD.

The M8A1 is easier to aim, and doesn't get the harsher scout MM that the M5 does. Scouting is rough ... but if you want to learn to scout with training wheels, the M8A1 has the same camo, view, and radio ranges. It's a waste of a good DPM gun, but the M8A1 can scout.

RaceZyzy #56 Posted Sep 13 2013 - 13:36

Private

• Players
  • 6921 battles
I got the M8A1 and you are right. It is much easier to play than the other TDs I have played and is quit fast. I played it the better part of yesterday. I got the cammo netting for it and put the binoculars (i share those across several tanks). It is really easy to hide and shoot with it and it is much more fun than the other TDs I have played. (I tried the hetzer since I kept seeing them on the field, hated it). Thanks for that tank tip.

I also started playing a soviet SPGs. It looked like they were smaller and again easier to hide with good gun elevation.

Is the reason for the TD suggestion because of the "nerf" I have read about? Or is it mostly a good learning vehicle?

LittleWhiteMouse #57 Posted Sep 15 2013 - 13:02

Captain

• Players
  • 14876 battles
I played a game the other day where the Reds were well set up to force a landslide win against our team.  I only recognized the danger after I started taking enfilading fire and by then I was fighting for my life, trying to deal with the tank in front of me.

Having written articles like this aimed to help others, I can attest it's very difficult to consistently put them into practice.  For new players looking to improve, I would stress keeping it very simple to start with.  The two greatest skills any new player can pick up early on are Gunnery and Situational Awareness.  I don't think there's a single veteran out there who would argue that these two traits will give you more significant gains than any other for solo play.  And I think there would be fewer still who would say that the latter is an easy one to master.

Koschka and MattWong are both telling it like it is:  watch out for your own mistakes.  Once you can figure out where you're likely to go wrong, it's not that it becomes easier to stop necessarily, but at least you can roll your eyes when reviewing your replays when you see that you did it again.  For myself, that's being too aggressive in preliminary movements -- I tend to try and do my own spotting which, in some of the larger vehicles in my garage, is downright ridiculous.  This is about as effective as charging the field in Malinovka solo though in that case, at least I might do some good by temporarily lighting up the enemy team before I became a smouldering pile.

Spanktankk #58 Posted Sep 15 2013 - 13:08

Major

• Players
  • 37052 battles
  • [KFB] KFB
Agreed. Bottom half of my sig.  :smile:

RodneyDangerfield #59 Posted Sep 15 2013 - 13:13

Major

• Players
  • 72344 battles
The best way to improve your WR is improve your play.  The most misleading way to improve your WR is through the use of the "platoon effect" and TCs.  I'm not saying these game modes are padding or have no place in the game but just because you use a coordinated team effort to beat up on uncoordinated bad players repeatedly doesn't mean your improving your own personal play as far as raw tanking skills go.  However they do teach valuable teamwork skills.  You have to be honest with yourself.

As far as getting your daily doubles there is nothing wrong with it as long as you already have taken the time to learn the nuances of each tank.

Zakume #60 Posted Sep 15 2013 - 14:25

Major

• WGLNA Gold League Player
  • 31445 battles
Posted Image
Posted Image
^ And MM is even easier these days.

Edited by Zakume, Sep 15 2013 - 14:27.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users