• This topic is locked This topic is locked
75 replies to this topic

Koschka #61 Posted Sep 15 2013 - 15:25

Major

• Players
  • 6977 battles
  • [R-INC] R-INC

View PostLittleWhiteMouse, on Sep 15 2013 - 13:02, said:

I played a game the other day where the Reds were well set up to force a landslide win against our team.  I only recognized the danger after I started taking enfilading fire and by then I was fighting for my life, trying to deal with the tank in front of me.

Having written articles like this aimed to help others, I can attest it's very difficult to consistently put them into practice.  For new players looking to improve, I would stress keeping it very simple to start with.  The two greatest skills any new player can pick up early on are Gunnery and Situational Awareness.  I don't think there's a single veteran out there who would argue that these two traits will give you more significant gains than any other for solo play.  And I think there would be fewer still who would say that the latter is an easy one to master.

Koschka and MattWong are both telling it like it is:  watch out for your own mistakes.  Once you can figure out where you're likely to go wrong, it's not that it becomes easier to stop necessarily, but at least you can roll your eyes when reviewing your replays when you see that you did it again.  For myself, that's being too aggressive in preliminary movements -- I tend to try and do my own spotting which, in some of the larger vehicles in my garage, is downright ridiculous.  This is about as effective as charging the field in Malinovka solo though in that case, at least I might do some good by temporarily lighting up the enemy team before I became a smouldering pile.

Very true you will never completely stop making mistakes, even the same mistakes. I do the same thing watch my own replays to look for mistakes I made. Ones that cost me like on the Tiger 2, ones that almost cost me like on the Stug and ones I just got away with, but had the enemy been more on the ball i wouldn't have. By watching your own replays, others replays, reading things like Lert's guides, LittleWhiteMouse's posts, and youtube videos like jingles and quickybaby. Then you can hopefully learn to make those mistakes less often.

I kinda have the same problem as LittleWhiteMouse, at times I can be still to aggressive and really want to finish off a enemy tank before he gets away. Which often leads to me taking a chance I shouldn't, sometimes I get away with it and sometimes i die in a fiery wreck. That and I am still working on situational awareness around me and on the mini map, I am doing better but sometimes I still can get target lock.

So for new players don't get discouraged if you feel like you keep making the same mistakes and seem unable to get better. Just keep trying and playing, eventually if you work at it. You start to cut down on those mistakes a little at a time. I am living prove, as are virtually every player of WoT that has improved.

LittleWhiteMouse #62 Posted Sep 16 2013 - 00:25

Captain

• Players
  • 14876 battles
I look forward to when my mistakes will be the difference between only getting five kills in a game vs six or more.
Ha!

Yeah, that won't be happening in the near future, but a girl can dream.

brawler1967 #63 Posted Sep 16 2013 - 00:29

Captain

• Players
  • 9949 battles
  • [RPG] RPG
Awesome advice, thanks.

brawler1967 #64 Posted Sep 16 2013 - 00:30

Captain

• Players
  • 9949 battles
  • [RPG] RPG
And yes I will take some credit for killing alot of tanks with my arty. As per above pie chart. LOL

KaiserSchnitzel #65 Posted Sep 19 2013 - 19:52

Captain

• Players
  • 10177 battles
  • [PANSY] PANSY
These suggestions + a few others brought me up from 47% to 50% in 30 days. I know I'm only at 1K games and I'm playing down a bunch of trees, but focusing on one tank at a time rather than trying to daily double all my tanks every day is the most effective thing I've done, and I can measure the actual improvement in my play rather than the improvement of my actual tanks.

I'll work on playing that KV1 again, and maybe I won't stink this time.

therusty #66 Posted Sep 21 2013 - 19:23

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 11270 battles
  • [4FREE] 4FREE
wrong win rate is mostly luck
imo 75% luck 25% skill

Koschka #67 Posted Sep 21 2013 - 19:35

Major

• Players
  • 6977 battles
  • [R-INC] R-INC

View Posttherusty, on Sep 21 2013 - 19:23, said:

wrong win rate is mostly luck
imo 75% luck 25% skill

Lets say you are right that means by luck, since all luck tends to balance out after awhile. You should have a win rate of 37% to 63%, meaning the 26%(since I rounded) between those two is where skill comes in. Hmm sounds pretty much like that's what most of us have been saying.

MiddleStar #68 Posted Sep 21 2013 - 21:59

Sergeant

• Players
  • 8407 battles
Great read!
You put basically my core philosophy on how to play into words. Wow!

Everpest #69 Posted Sep 29 2013 - 19:41

Sergeant

• Players
  • 18730 battles
Fun thread, though I am going to disagree about one thing.  Win rate doesn't matter - or at least isn't the "end all be all" stat that you need to focus on.  The REALITY related to win rate is that if you are only playing pubs, you are 1/15th of the total effort.  This is why so many people focus on "efficiency" or "Win7" ratings (or other other algorythms) which try to track your individual ABILITY versus whether you win or lose.
Example: we have all had strong game where you end with 4+ kills, tons of damage, maybe some defense points, and yet your team loses.  You were the strongest member of the team, got the highest score, and yet it equates to a big "ZERO" on the win rate calculation.  Efficiency or Win7 will however track your IMPACT on the game - and will show how well you played DESPITE what the rest of your team did.
Put differently... my current favorite tank is my tier 9 T54E1.  With this tank in 100% pubs, I have a win rate of 49.44% (somewhere very close to "average"). However my EFFICIENCY in this tank is 1519.95 - which is considered "great".  How is it possible to have "great" individual performance versus "average" team performance?  It is easy when you understand that no matter WHAT you do, your individual performace is watered-down 14/15 in a random public match.
Who would you rather team with?  Someone with a 55% win rate but 800 efficiency?  Or someone with a 45% win rate, but a 1500 efficiency?
So play to maximize your INDIVIDUAL performance - without fixating too much on win/loss, which can get screwed up by many random events that are outside of your control.  And here are some other secrets I would add to the list of "maximizing individual performance":
(1)  Choose the right tank.  For any tier, any tank type, some tanks do better and some tanks do worse across ALL players.  Understand if you are playing a "weak" tank versus a "strong" tank, you will be at a disadvantage.  Does that mean give up hope?  Heck no.  Nor does it mean ONLY chose the best tanks.  It just means be aware of the differences.
(2)  Play to your strengths.  Know your chosen tank - know what it does well and know what it does poorly.  Know your weak spots and hide them.  If you are fast - stay mobile.  If you are slow, protect your rear.  If you have a short range, inaccurate gun, don't snipe.  Etc.
(3)  Understand your enemies.  This is CRITICAL - understand what they can or cannot do.  I love to play auto-loaders and I love to play AGAINST them because I know them so well.  Count the shots - and bam they are helpless for 30 seconds.  Same with ALL tanks.  Learn how to fight them, where they are weakest, etc.  Never try to fire at a T34 that is hull down (for example).  Never go head to head with a T95.  These tanks ALL have weaknesses - but if you fight against their strengths it is almost completely hopeless.
(4)  Understand the game mechanics.  This is a more general "catch-all" that means “understand what to do to be impactful in the game”.  This is especially true with the new scouting and spotting rules where you are rewarded for aggressive play and penalized for passive play.  If you are a scout - scout.  Don't snipe from the rear with your tiny pop gun.  If you are a medium, don't try to go head-to-head with a heavy tank.  And I don't care WHAT you play (unless it is arty) mobility is ALWAYS your friends.  Don't sit still EVER unless you are aiming.  Never give the enemy a frozen target to aim at your weak points.  Never face an enemy dead on - always angle – because you are theoretically doubling your armor.  Visit the MANY hint sites and guide sites that explain how to maximize your impact.
(5)  Understand the maps.  At higher levels you will learn the maps to such a degree that you will know the location of every rock, bush and vantage point.  Pay attention!  If you get killed at one spot, don’t go there again   If you have a good game because you utilize a certain position, remember what you did.  Eventually you will learn – if team B does this, I need to go to position A, but if team B does this other thing, I should respond by going to position C, etc.  Always respond to what the enemy does, and be ready to react if necessary.  The worst players are the ones who do the same thing, the same way, every time.
(6)  How to “cheat” the system:  In general understand that when comparing yourself to the “average” player you are comparing to all players, all tanks, all situations, all crews, all gear, all ammo, etc.  You will do better than average if you:
(a)  Play a better tank.  (I mentioned this at the beginning)  Some tanks are stronger than others.  Period.
(b)  Play with a better crew.  Over the long term, your crews are more valuable than your tanks, because you have more time invested in them.  If you have a full 400% crew (ie 100% base, and three full skills/perks) they will have a huge impact on your game.
(c )  Play with upgraded tanks.  Many tanks have long upgrade paths that take weeks/months to maximize.  For example, an E-50 requires 180,000 xp to be fully upgraded, but then only about the same amount to unlock the E-50M.  What this potentially means is that 50% of the time you are playing your E-50, you are playing a non-upgraded tank.  This has a huge impact on your efficiency.
(d)  Understand and install the proper modules.  ALWAYS roll with a tank that has full modules – or you play at a significant disadvantage.  Just the presence of a gun rammer potentially changes your damage output by 10% - which can often be the difference between getting off that one critical shot, versus being shot yourself.
(e)  Understand and use the proper supplies.  Most people will always roll with a repair module, first aid kit, and fire extinguisher, and not think about it again.  This is not always the best mix – it depends entirely upon your tank and your other gear.
(f)  Ammo.  This game rewards the use of gold rounds.  But again, this is NOT a blanket statement.  For some tanks and some guns, gold rounds offer a HUGE advantage.  For others, not so much.  If you decide to roll with gold rounds, you do not have to use them exclusively.  The best players have them to use if they need them, but don’t waste them when they don’t.
(xxx)  How does this add up to “cheat”?  Using these guidelines wisely, you WILL be a better player.  Most players take months to understand all the above.  Often they will have moved up to higher tier tanks, higher tier battles.  Tier 9 and Tier 10 battles can be fierce, because players will often be using ALL of these rules to try to get a small advantage on their competition.  However what about those Tier 2 and Tier 3 battles?  If you take these same rules and apply them to lower level battles you WILL dominate.  If you locate the strongest Tier 3 tank, upgrade it fully with free experience and credits, install a 400% crew, install full modules, and fire gold rounds, you will slaughter the competition.  Ever wonder why, when you were first learning this game, there were some players who would just roll across the map, one-shotting the competition, and getting five or six kills every fight?  This is the reason.  Some of these players may have been playing since Beta.  Some may have “re-rolled” new accounts and are starting all over with new stats after they have 6 months (or more) of experience.  Or some may just be “seal-clubbing” to improve their overall stats.
These are just some suggestions... I'm sure I could think of others :)

Edited by Everpest, Sep 29 2013 - 19:47.

RyanayR #70 Posted Sep 30 2013 - 00:19

Sergeant

• Players
  • 6626 battles
Thread needs to be pinned.

Nunya_000 #71 Posted Sep 30 2013 - 00:33

Major

• Players
  • 21138 battles
  • [PACNW] PACNW
Good info

smellsbad #72 Posted Oct 09 2013 - 22:15

Corporal

• Players
  • 6833 battles

View PostColdWar82, on Sep 01 2013 - 13:51, said:

One sure way to lower your rate is to play every tank in your garage until you get your daily double.
If it takes you 2 battles to get your double and you move on to the next tank you get a 50% win rate.
If it takes you 3 battles to get your double and you move on to the next tank you get a 33% win rate.
I wont tell you about how many times it took me 5+ times to get a win on some of my tanks (even my better ones).

Compromise - pick about 5 tanks you are going to play that day, stick to the list.

This I will take on board as well as the OP fantastic post. I play every tank in my garage and I'm getting quite a few tanks in there! My crap stats reflect this I think. I also got hurt by failing to change play style with some of my favourite tanks and not doing well in them. e.g. Marder II and Pz IV (have sold both as they have been ruined in my opinion)

lijimist #73 Posted Oct 09 2013 - 22:27

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 50211 battles
  • [EATU] EATU
Great stuff.  Thanks for putting it out there! +1.

Dr_Derp #74 Posted Oct 09 2013 - 22:29

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 9934 battles
  • [M-I-T] M-I-T
I have been trying like hell to raise my winrate, but I think the law of averages is pooping on me lately :/.  I find in every battle I am in the top 3 or 4 damage and xp wise (and #1 in a large percentage),  but it always seems like something happens over on the other side of the map where I cannot do anything about it causing my team to lose...  I have noticed my wn7 is going up, however so I am going to keep working and see if I can't get back over 49% and beyond.

Omizu #75 Posted Oct 12 2013 - 20:17

Private

• Players
  • 7349 battles
  • [SRIKE] SRIKE
About the time you were figuring all of this out I was doing the same.  This summer I decided to dedicate my time to figuring out how to improve my game play.  I came to the same conclusion you did, damage is king.  I studied the habits of some really great players.  Watching their replays I saw was that they consistently did 2000+ damage on average per game.  Inflicting more damage will translate to better stats in all other categories and lead to a greater win percentage.

I don’t, necessarily, agree with your play one tank concept. I agree more with ColdWar82 that you should pick a handful of tanks and work on those.  But you are correct that you have to know your tank well.  Mediums play different than heavies.  And tanks within those categories play different as well.  There are front line heavies and 2nd line heavies.  So you have to know your tanks strengths and ignore the comments from your teammates who don’t understand this.

You also have to know the weaknesses of the enemy tanks.  This comes through experience.  We all know that most tanks have a weak lower glacis and that is a great target.  But you can’t always hit that.  It then becomes important to target other weak areas.  The cupola, the drivers hatch, etc…  If you have pretty good pen, for example, a great weakness of the E100 is the front of the turret below and to the left or right of the gun (but not the mantlet).  You also have to know when you just don’t have enough pen against a particular enemy so it’s time to break off and find another target if you can.

Sometimes truly great play is still not enough.  I recently had a match with a teammate where we each did 4000 in damage and had 6 kills between us but we still lost.  Don’t let that discourage you.  Just keep doing the same and, on average, it will pay off.

In terms of what HOTA_CHATON said.  Yes, in most cases platooning can help you out but not always.  There have been many a night when platooning was actually a detriment because of the way matchmaker tries to balance teams with a like number of platoons and the teams were painfully lopsided.  Switching back to single play would fix the problem for me and my usual platoon mates and we’d be back to winning more than we lost again.  I’ve seen this happen for 2-3 days in a row and then, suddenly, platooning is back to working better.
TheGrizzlay makes a good point that we can still all have bad days.  We just aren’t at the top of our game.  If I’m having a bad night, for whatever reason, I will usually stop rather than continue to frustrate myself.  Coming back later I usually do better.

When I decided to improve my play I started monitoring my stats on noobmeter (saving them in a spreadsheet).  It’s very important to see your personal progress.  I focused not on my overall stats, which can climb slowly depending on how many matches you have played when you start the improvement effort, but my nightly, weekly and last 100 and 1000 matches to see my trending.  If I look at my last 1000 matches and see that I’m at 55% I can feel pretty good at my progress.  I have had single nights where my stats were at the Unicum level.  That also gives me confidence that I am progressing in the right direction.  If I have a bad night I go back and look at my replays to see what I did wrong so I have a better chance of avoiding that mistake in the future.

The last point is that even if I have a bad night where my losses are far more than my wins I can still have good stats.  Win rate is only a part of the WN7 and WN8 formula.  If I’m still doing everything else right but coming up short on the wins my stats will still be good and confirm to me that my game play is heading in the right direction.

Jayedubicus #76 Posted Oct 12 2013 - 21:23

Corporal

• Players
  • 11573 battles
The desire to control my win rate has been both a boon and bane for me. I've been able to go from a low 46% to almost 50% due in part to trying my hardest at being competitive and contributing as much as possible and not being a hindrance. On the flip side I find it quite stressful when I hit a losing streak and see that percentage drop fractions of a percent!

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users