How to play T1 Heavy?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
17 replies to this topic

TrOplcThUnDeR #1 Posted Sep 07 2013 - 08:09

Captain

• Players
  • 11873 battles
  • [NTR] NTR
I'm having a problem on figuring out how to play the T1 Heavy. I have it fully researched other than the radio. It's pretty fast but the sides are useless. The gun has a fast ROF but low alpha. How do I play this thing?

cmdr_riker #2 Posted Sep 07 2013 - 08:12

Major

• Players
  • 15222 battles
Talk2Florb

_Smiliey #3 Posted Sep 07 2013 - 08:12

Major

• Players
  • 19141 battles
  • [VILIN] VILIN
Bully low tiers

Engage same tier from hull down/ from support distance/use meat-shield

Flank high tiers

There

XJCL #4 Posted Sep 07 2013 - 08:12

Major

• Players
  • 15275 battles

View Postcmdr_riker, on Sep 07 2013 - 08:12, said:

Talk2Florb

Was just going to say that....

Msg this guy, OP:

http://worldoftanks....475-FlorbFnarb/

He's a T1/M6 enthusiast. He will not only thank you for msging him, you might have to beg him to stop talking about T1/M6.

Suzuno_Kamazuki #5 Posted Sep 07 2013 - 09:04

Captain

• Players
  • 16886 battles
  • [REDTM] REDTM
Play like a heavy medium, kinda like the T14.

CptNiNjAcAT #6 Posted Sep 07 2013 - 09:04

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 20139 battles
  • [XBBX] XBBX
T1 HT.. Ah where do I begin...
T1 heavy is a very heavy, very well armored tank from the front. It is in my opinion the best T5 heavy tank by far.
Why would I say that, you ask? Let's begin with the facts.
The 76mm M1A1 is a very good gun for the T1HT, having higher average pen than the 85mm of the KV-1, and having better RoF than it. Aimtime is very good but the accuracy is a tiny bit less than the 85mm of the KV-1.
If you had to compare the Churchill Is top gun, they are very similar to each other but the British gun will be much more accurate with a tiny bit more alpha.
Now, you may ask me here, why do I say the T1 is such a good tank? It's all in the mobility. As a heavy tank, the T1 CAN lead a charge, and in certain cases can bounce shots left and right. If you can get into a hull down location and you are top tier, the only tanks that will be able to damage you (if they can hit you) are people with derp guns and artillery.
But that's not the only thing that the T1 HT can do. In fact, I would go so far as to say the T1 HT is not a Heavy Tank. It's a BIG Medium tank. Because it is so mobile and quick, you tend to reach positions on the map faster than other "heavy" tanks. This means that you can be a support tank and bully others before enemies can react. 660 hitpoints on a "medium" tank is pretty OP when you think about it, and given the fact that you can take punishment (from the front), it's gg if you can take out the most dangerous targets when you flank.
TL:DR Version:
T1HT, BIG Medium tank, although it can be a heavy tank if you keep your hull facing front and have allies to protect your flanks.
Strengths:
- VERY GOOD GUN, M1A1 has high average pen and will almost always pen the target at T5. The only tank you might have trouble with is an AT2 but just close the distance and flank him with your high speed and he will have no chance. (Unless he is using a derp gun in which case you might want to be careful how you engage.)
- VERY HIGH mobility and acceleration: When you need to get out of a situation, this tank will get you out of it. It won't outrun light tanks but you can usually 2 or 3 shot them so they are almost never a problem even if they get on your flank.
- OP Support tank - Support tanks are very good at being anywhere that your team needs you to be on the map. This means if there are tanks to the front, take a few teammates and flank around. Because of the high mobility of this tank, like I said before, you can go places.
- Well armored front - Turret is very good, it is advisable to go hull down if you can.
- Gun depression is very good, this is why you can go hull down.
EDIT: OH OH! FORGOT ONE THING -
THIS TANK IS A RAMMING KING. 35 KPH and ramming into the side of other tanks is the funniest thing ever! Make sure you put the ramming skill on your driver.
Weaknesses:
- Paper Side armor. Be careful when flanking, you might be able to be flanked pretty easily so be wary of your placement on the battlefield.
- Machine gun port on the front can be a weakspot for HEAT shells. I would keep your tank angled if you come across an M4 or a PzIV firing HEAT as they will be ineffective if you angle. (Course, if they fire regular derp shells you won't be doing to well anyway)
Other than that, I have no other weaknesses about the tank.

Edited by CptNiNjAcAT, Sep 07 2013 - 09:08.

PuddleSplasher #7 Posted Sep 07 2013 - 09:08

Major

• Players
  • 24882 battles
  • [RNGC] RNGC
Ahh quite a detailed report.
I love going against you guys in my tier 4 Su85b with my crew just going onto their 5th skill  :tongue:

Edited by PuddleSplasher, Sep 07 2013 - 09:10.

libaftrix #8 Posted Sep 07 2013 - 09:10

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 3308 battles
  • [WANTD] WANTD
T1 turret can and will be penned by 100 pen guns, which there are plenty of at t4 already. It faces the same problem with angling the turret as the churchill III and I, fast fire rate means you'll be sacrficing your accuracy if you keep swinging your turret between shots.

So if you go hull down, don't just sit there. Use your speed and acceleration to gtfo and find a new spot when you start taking shells.

Also don't back up long distances with it. The reverse speed is unimaginably bad.

Rocky_Ballsboa #9 Posted Sep 07 2013 - 09:38

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 20507 battles
I'm sort of a T1 heavy enthusiast myself, I have over 3 k battles in mine.
Despite its reputation of being a dog it is by far my favorite tank.

The T1 has very different play styles depending what tier match you are in , as an above poaster said you bully the lower tiers.
Use your high rate of fire to smash the small tanks, most of them you can angle to and get them to bounce all day.
You can even sidescrape very effectively in it , as long as you are top tier in the match.
Watch out for tds at any tier, your tank is the size of a billboard and seems to attract td rounds and arty shells.
Ram and shoot ram and shoot. I've rammed a Cromwell head on at full speed and one shot him.Or you can ram for 50-60 dmg. over and over again
when facehugging smaller tanks. I actually won a match and got my tenth kill by sidescraping an AT2 after I had run out of ammo. I rammed a track into his
side and tracked him and then backed up and hit him for 14 dmg again and again until he was dead.

Higher tier matches you want to hang back and snipe, stay in cover, and use gold rounds if you have to.
177 pen at 2200 dpm is nothing to sneeze at even at tier 7. (w/vent, rammer and BIA)
The high dpm makes you a danger to tanks with long reload such as the KV1s. Get them to miss a shot and you can land 3 or 4 in em before they can reload.

Also you should put some insignias and camo so you look cool. I have T-rex heads on the side of mine :) and I think it makes me go faster.

WileyCat #10 Posted Sep 07 2013 - 09:58

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 15518 battles
  • [PHWAR] PHWAR

View PostTrOplcThUnDeR, on Sep 07 2013 - 08:09, said:

I'm having a problem on figuring out how to play the T1 Heavy. I have it fully researched other than the radio. It's pretty fast but the sides are useless. The gun has a fast ROF but low alpha. How do I play this thing?
you ram the crap out of your targets while simutaniously shooting them and occsasional sniping

xt6wagon #11 Posted Sep 07 2013 - 10:24

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 5219 battles
  • [RBP] RBP
keep your range. Keep your front square to the enemy.  Protect your sides.

Use your mobility to reposition when needed.  Think of it as a medium tank with heavy tank frontal armor.

Orange_Eater #12 Posted Sep 07 2013 - 10:33

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 16425 battles
I have 1k games in the KV-1 (lol, free account, must grind for credits!), and I recently just bought the T1 heavy.  It has a 90% crew and I already think it's the best tier 5 heavy along with the BDR G1 B.  It's just so flexible, and can do everything well.

Poultryphile #13 Posted Sep 07 2013 - 11:05

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 16327 battles
I like my KV1 better at tier five most of the time but I bought the T1 back on sale a while ago and have grown rather fond of the thing.

xvp40 #14 Posted Sep 07 2013 - 11:23

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 10350 battles
  • [51KIA] 51KIA
I miss my T1  :sad:

FlorbFnarb #15 Posted Sep 07 2013 - 14:42

Major

• Players
  • 12743 battles
  • [M--M] M--M
I see people remember my obsessions.

The T1 is a bit of a beast, to be honest.  Moderate alpha and decent accuracy, with excellent pen for the tier, awesome depression and damn good DPM.

The armor is solid too.  Keep the front toward the enemy and use a little angling to increase the effective thickness - not too much, because of the thin sides - and you're golden.  Turret is good too, although not impenetrable as some have said.

Mobility is excellent.  Top speed is average but the T1 has the horsepower to reach that 35kph almost immediately.  Turning speed is that of a heavy, but the turret turns well.

The key to using the T1 is to use it as a bully when top tier, and it can bully anything in its tier so long as you remember the enemy's strengths and weaknesses.  Get in close with most enemies and shoot them as you close, ram them at high speed, then shoot them again for the kill if necessary.  Even the KV-1 is a good ten tons lighter than a T1, so ram away.

One exception are derp tanks.  A 105 derp can pen your sides outright with an HE round, and that'll ruin your day real quick.  Since the derp nerf reduced 105 HEAT pen to 104 you stand a good chance of bouncing it off your front hull, especially if angled, but it's still a risk.  Best approach to handling derpers is to keep your distance and snipe them while hull-down.  If not, then shoot-ram-shoot as before and hope they only shoot you once.

If you run into a KV-1 with the 122mm derp, definitely remain at range.  If he's worth his salt he'll have a few 122mm HEAT rounds on board explicitly to shoot at higher tier tanks and other dangers, like a rampaging T1 driver looking to violate his personal space with a shoot-ram-shoot attack.  In that case try to remain at range, get hull-down, and use your superior accuracy, reload, DPM and pen to shoot him full of holes.  If that isn't an option then again, shoot-ram-shoot and hope to do damage faster than his slow reload can handle, because you won't bounce 122mm HEAT and you won't survive a second shot.

When middle or bottom tier, use all that speed to flank higher tier tanks.  Your armor is less impressive, but you still retain dangerous mobility, pen and DPM, and your speed combined with your 60 ton weight means you're a ramming threat even to a lot of higher tier tanks.

That's all I got for now.

cmdr_riker #16 Posted Sep 07 2013 - 19:11

Major

• Players
  • 15222 battles
:smile:

TrOplcThUnDeR #17 Posted Sep 07 2013 - 23:43

Captain

• Players
  • 11873 battles
  • [NTR] NTR
Thanks for the tips. I got this on Malinovka.
Posted Image

Edited by TrOplcThUnDeR, Sep 07 2013 - 23:43.

Kuya_Moko #18 Posted Sep 07 2013 - 23:50

Major

• Players
  • 9914 battles
Long story short

Youre 50+ tons

you have 960 horsepower.

Show them the power of your girth.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users