T29 Grind

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
44 replies to this topic

M477145_N1l550n #21 Posted Sep 17 2013 - 15:42

Major

• Players
  • 5852 battles

View PostWinterBurn, on Sep 17 2013 - 15:38, said:

Simple answer: T32 uses the same best gun, and has a very similar play style. You gonna free Xp through that too?
No, I'm going to unlock every upgrade for this tank with Free EXP. That's what I mean, not that I'm going to skip the tank entirely.
I intend to keep and Elite everything I can, just for the experience of having those tanks and driving them. Might make me a better player, too, to just drive as many different tanks as I can get my greasy hands on.

View Postkittikatt, on Sep 17 2013 - 15:42, said:

Get out of the US Heavy Tank line then, cause that 35kph is going to be your top speed from here till the 110E5 (37kph).
No, it's not slow top speed, it's poor acceleration and turning. 35KPH isn't that slow really(must be my experience in my Leichttraktor talking, or my T1 and M6), it's just that having barely more than ten horsepower per ton really gimps me.
That's why I don't like the KV family much, KV-13 aside. I think I might end up liking the IS family of Soviet heavies, IS-3 and -8 in particular.

mongoosejake #22 Posted Sep 17 2013 - 15:50

Major

• Players
  • 36142 battles
  • [S-F] S-F
This is one tank that the second engine makes a noticeable improvement on (in my opinion many tanks second engine doesn't make much of an improvement). I'm still missing the top engine (that's all I have left) but am able to be reasonably mobile on the battlefield. KV-1S's and IS's still outmaneuver me and out climb me, but I'm not a slug anymore as you'll be with the stock engine.

DirtD0G #23 Posted Sep 17 2013 - 15:50

Major

• Players
  • 24219 battles
  • [AWFUL] AWFUL
I run vents, rammer, and throw some binoculars on it for solo-pubbing.

Get that top gun and turret ASAP, then elite the beast.

I run mostly AP, a few APCR, and some HE; there is a healthy amount of shells you can carry anyways.

You are wise to realize its lack of brawling prowess, however if you find yourself running out of available targets mid to late game, you can risk a few hits for the close-in kill. It's UFP can bounce shots and if you face-hug with shorter tanks you can be tough to deal with, especially if they lack the depression to hit your hull squarely.

I have soloed a few Type-59s in mine!

WinterBurn #24 Posted Sep 17 2013 - 15:55

Captain

• Players
  • 33311 battles
Sorry, I misread your post. I don't find the T29 or the T32 arduously slow. They're not 'fast' by any means but they are reasonably mobile. Once you have the T29 fully upgraded I think you will enjoy it. Lots, once you find some good spots to really work that troll turret.

Edited by WinterBurn, Sep 17 2013 - 15:57.

kittikat #25 Posted Sep 17 2013 - 16:00

Major

• Players
  • 8147 battles
  • [BADGR] BADGR

View PostM477145_N1l550n, on Sep 17 2013 - 15:42, said:

No, it's not slow top speed, it's poor acceleration and turning. 35KPH isn't that slow really(must be my experience in my Leichttraktor talking, or my T1 and M6), it's just that having barely more than ten horsepower per ton really gimps me.

Oh, yeah. The acceleration absolutely sucks on the stock engine.

Once you upgrade that, the tank becomes more responsive and much much more enjoyable to play.

The T29 is an absolute beast for its tier.

In fact, you'll feel "nerfed" once you upgrade to the T32 because that tank retains the same gun as the T29, and basically all the same features as well, except you'll see Tier 10s. And that gun sucks in Tier 10s.

M477145_N1l550n #26 Posted Sep 17 2013 - 16:04

Major

• Players
  • 5852 battles

View PostWinterBurn, on Sep 17 2013 - 15:55, said:

Sorry, I misread your post. I don't find the T29 or the T32 arduously slow. They're not 'fast' by any means but they are reasonably mobile. Once you have the T29 fully upgraded I think you will enjoy it. Lots, once you find some good spots to really work that troll turret.
Yeah, I'm hoping the engines make a difference. To be quite honest, I kinda hated my IS until I got the 700 horsepower engine into it. Now, I like it.

I think it's just lack of effective engine power that gets me, really. Well, here I go again, going to see if I can't make this thing work. You have to remember that I'm driving a 63 ton, almost 64 with my equipment fit, tank with only 720 horsepower. That's an abysmal power to weight ratio to me.

View Postkittikatt, on Sep 17 2013 - 16:00, said:

Oh, yeah. The acceleration absolutely sucks on the stock engine.

Once you upgrade that, the tank becomes more responsive and much much more enjoyable to play.

The T29 is an absolute beast for its tier.

In fact, you'll feel "nerfed" once you upgrade to the T32 because that tank retains the same gun as the T29, and basically all the same features as well, except you'll see Tier 10s. And that gun sucks in Tier 10s.
Here's hoping the grind for the engines will be better than my X2 for today was. If I like the IS with its 700 horse powerplant, I wonder how I'll like the T29 once I get the 800 horsepower engine into it. Only goes up from 11.43 horsepower per ton to 12.4, but it's something.

Hunter_Steel #27 Posted Sep 18 2013 - 10:04

Captain

• Players
  • 14457 battles
Here's my breakdown for helping with the T29 since I grinding the entire thing + all modules and T32 without Free XP and gold.
I started my T29 from the E2 Sherman Jumbo, the 76mm was just painful but I stuck with it. Heres how I researched the tank:
Tracks
90mm
105mm
Turret
Engine
Top Engine
Since the radio is carried over from the E2 just mount it.
I carry 32 AP and 31 HE since I cannot afford the full 63 round loadout. NO gold rounds because gold ruins the game and destroys all forms of tactics. I like it a bit challenging too though. The T29 yes is a brawling tank, hull down, expose only the front of your turret, and then not even some T10s can take you down unless they whack that commanders hatch. Which is hard to hit. The T29s offense is that very powerful 105mm gun that can deal serious damage at the right weakspots and average damage at normal soft spots. But you'll be shooting at 1k per shell so becareful how you shoot, that tank can easily eat more than you can make.
Now, for equipment: Put the Gun Rammer and stabilizer, the 3rd slot is whatever you want it to be. Currently my T29 only has the Gun Rammer on it, and my crew is already working on their second perk and my T29 is elite which is nice. I won't ever sell my T29, all other tanks will be sold first before my T29 lol
It is indeed a very fun tank to play.
Your loadout right now is a little more reminiscent of a sniper tank instead of a front line brawler.
~Hunter
FYI: The T29 is the King of Tier 7.

Edited by Hunter_Steel, Sep 18 2013 - 10:09.

M477145_N1l550n #28 Posted Sep 18 2013 - 12:28

Major

• Players
  • 5852 battles

View PostHunter_Steel, on Sep 18 2013 - 10:04, said:

Here's my breakdown for helping with the T29 since I grinding the entire thing + all modules and T32 without Free XP and gold.

I started my T29 from the E2 Sherman Jumbo, the 76mm was just painful but I stuck with it. Here's how I researched the tank:

Tracks
90mm
105mm
Turret
Engine
Top Engine

Since the radio is carried over from the E2 just mount it.

I carry 32 AP and 31 HE since I cannot afford the full 63 round loadout. NO gold rounds because gold ruins the game and destroys all forms of tactics. I like it a bit challenging too though. The T29 yes is a brawling tank, hull down, expose only the front of your turret, and then not even some T10s can take you down unless they whack that commanders hatch. Which is hard to hit. The T29s offense is that very powerful 105mm gun that can deal serious damage at the right weakspots and average damage at normal soft spots. But you'll be shooting at 1k per shell so be careful how you shoot, that tank can easily eat more than you can make.

Now, for equipment: Put the Gun Rammer and stabilizer, the 3rd slot is whatever you want it to be. Currently my T29 only has the Gun Rammer on it, and my crew is already working on their second perk and my T29 is elite which is nice. I won't ever sell my T29, all other tanks will be sold first before my T29 lol
It is indeed a very fun tank to play.

Your loadout right now is a little more reminiscent of a sniper tank instead of a front line brawler.

~Hunter

FYI: The T29 is the King of Tier 7.
Recall that I researched my T29 from my M6. Still own the M6, good tank. I unlocked both the medium and heavy lines from the Lee, so I don't have to worry as much.

I mounted the Torsion Bars equipment because I was kinda worried about not being able to mount anything; however, I'll get the upgraded suspension first, once the servers come back online, and remove the torsion bars equipment to replace them with a Shell Rammer. Then I'll focus on the 105mm gun, then the engines. The few games I've played so far, the mobility feels abysmal. I hope the engines can make that better.

I don't intend to mix it up with Is tanks, KV-3s, IS-2s and the like. I should be able to pick them off from a distance once I have the 105mm T5 cannon. Once I have the engines, I'll upgrade the turret. I still don't expect to be as good as an IS or KV in a brawl, but at least I'll have a faster reload.

Also, note that I'm only running the APCR because I kinda don't trust having only 160mm pen on a T7 heavy. It might be enough for a nimble medium like the T20, but I sincerely doubt it's enough for the T29. The reason I'm running a sniper's kit right now is because I don't have so much mobility. Once I've gotten the engines, I expect I'll do a lot better in this tank.

Hunter_Steel #29 Posted Sep 18 2013 - 12:33

Captain

• Players
  • 14457 battles
Engines are actually the last thing you want to work with. Despite not being nimble, take it from me, who's done the T29 grind lol, you want the 105 and the Top turret before the engines. Otherwise it will be a regret to get to the 105 and top turret later on, this tank's best ability is its turret and 105, so those are your biggest worry, and don't sweat it, the tracks greatly improve mobility.

~Hunter

Knagar #30 Posted Sep 18 2013 - 12:35

Captain

• Players
  • 22176 battles
This tank is one of those rare ones that will be your best friend and almost always bring you home at the end of a match. One of the few tanks in the game you just don't sell.

As for tips, just like everyone else has state get hull down. Get used to looking for spots to make sure all they see is your turret and put that gun depression to work.

Always keep your turret pointed at your anyone shooting you to ensure all that have is that mantle to hit.

Against multiple contacts keep that turret moving and pay attention to incoming shots so you can move to the next target about to shoot. Remembering some reload times puts you at an advantage to.

With 8.6 I think it's a little easier to snipe that hatch so if you can't get them looking at only the mantle keep that turret moving to prevent hatch strikes but not to much as to encourage shots to the cheeks.

M477145_N1l550n #31 Posted Sep 18 2013 - 12:42

Major

• Players
  • 5852 battles

View PostHunter_Steel, on Sep 18 2013 - 12:33, said:

Engines are actually the last thing you want to work with. Despite not being nimble, take it from me, who's done the T29 grind lol, you want the 105 and the Top turret before the engines. Otherwise it will be a regret to get to the 105 and top turret later on, this tank's best ability is its turret and 105, so those are your biggest worry, and don't sweat it, the tracks greatly improve mobility.

~Hunter
Recall this post. I've never really gotten along with tanks with poor power-to-weight ratios. That's why I'm figuring, with my style of play, I should get the engines ahead of the turret. Even if I'm still only using my T29 as a sniper once I get the 105mm, more mobility will help me get to sniping points quicker. That's why I'm thinking of getting the turret last, since I can still mount the 105mm without upgrading the turret. I know I'll fire faster with the turret upgrade, but I should be well enough by upgrading the engines first.

WinterBurn #32 Posted Sep 18 2013 - 14:57

Captain

• Players
  • 33311 battles
The turret is really the point of the T29... well the turret and the amazing gun.... But mostly the turret. It's kind of make/break, IMO, but it's your choice.

M477145_N1l550n #33 Posted Sep 18 2013 - 15:06

Major

• Players
  • 5852 battles

View PostWinterBurn, on Sep 18 2013 - 14:57, said:

The turret is really the point of the T29... well the turret and the amazing gun.... But mostly the turret. It's kind of make/break, IMO, but it's your choice.
Technically, the turret armor is effectively identical on both T29 turrets. So I should be able to use the same hull down positions either way. The mobility's a big issue for me either way, so I figure that with how I play, the engines are more important.

I understand the view range difference and that the 105mm gun gets 0.88 RPM better firing rate, but I'll be able to manage without it.

Sad_But_Drew #34 Posted Sep 19 2013 - 01:33

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 23853 battles
I've never felt the need for a GLD or stablizer (but my gunner does have snapshot  and driver smooth ride).  I went rammer, vents (a little bit of everything) and spall liner.  The spall liner is to minimize the arty threat AND help avoid crew casualties (something I seem to be prone to).

2nd engine is a BIG improvement, you still aren't fast, but you can get over those hills much quicker.

I free XP'd the turret and big gun right off, so I can't speak to the 90mm.

aswitz87 #35 Posted Sep 19 2013 - 03:34

Major

• Players
  • 5921 battles
The 2nd turret gives a very minor boost to view range and a decent, though small boost to RoF (oh and those ears make great trolling spots).

If you can deal without the boost, go ahead and get the engine and tracks.  It becomes decently nimble (though still not French heavy levels).

M477145_N1l550n #36 Posted Sep 19 2013 - 07:24

Major

• Players
  • 5852 battles

View Postaswitz87, on Sep 19 2013 - 03:34, said:

The 2nd turret gives a very minor boost to view range and a decent, though small boost to RoF (oh and those ears make great trolling spots).

If you can deal without the boost, go ahead and get the engine and tracks.  It becomes decently nimble (though still not French heavy levels).
I'm not expecting to suddenly become an FCM 50t or AMX 50 when I upgrade the engines. I know not to expect that much.

WinterBurn #37 Posted Sep 19 2013 - 16:02

Captain

• Players
  • 33311 battles
Well, I'm all about damage output and a 20% ROF increase is huge. The additional hitpoints, ammo & view range are gravy. That said, if you have the gun you're probably gonna be fine ;)

M477145_N1l550n #38 Posted Sep 19 2013 - 16:47

Major

• Players
  • 5852 battles
I got the second engine earlier today. Haven't run the tank with it yet, though. Still don't have the 105mm T5E1 gun yet. Need to get on that.

Just to ask: Does the final engine provide anything that feels like a significant boost over the second engine?

Midnitewolf #39 Posted Sep 24 2013 - 04:59

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 7172 battles

View PostM477145_N1l550n, on Sep 17 2013 - 14:18, said:

Just unlocked the T29 heavy tank. Decided to mount the "Enhanced Torsion Bars" equipment since the suspension was already at its limits as stock. Already have the 90mm M3 from the M6 heavy, and I got the top radio off the M7 medium, so that's good to go.

Decided to load a 60% AP to 40% APCR ammo load; bad idea? I understand that the guns the Soviet heavies get at this level get only 10% more penetration on standard AP, but the T29 isn't meant to brawl like the Soviets, so I figure I'd be better off a bit back.

Already have "Enhanced Torsion Bars", decided to mount Vents and a Vertical Stabilizer since I had the capacity; is this a good setup for the T29? Or should I have fitted a Shell Rammer, or Enhanced Gun Laying Drive?

Also, what should be my top priority after I upgrade the suspension(so I can take these enhanced torsion bars off and mount something more useful in their place): 105mm gun, or engines?

You don't need gold ammo, even with the 90mm and especially not with the 105mm when you get it.  Both have plenty of pen at Tier 7.  But if you have the extra credits go for it as it will make dealing with Tier 8s easier.

Module set up, VStab, Rammer and GLD.  If your crew is at 100% get rid of the vents, if not at 100% keep the vents and ditch the GLD until you get to 100%.

Top upgrade priority is the 105mm gun in my opinion but some people will disagree because the 90mm is viable at Tier 7 and much cheaper to use due to shell cost.  However this tank really came into its own for me with the 105mm and since you better be using hull down tactics early and often, you aren't going to be moving around alot if you can help it so I think the engine can wait till after the gun.

With the 105mm gun and hulled down, the T29 is excellent for its tier.  It is one of the few tanks Tier 7 tanks I have played (and I have played most) that I didn't feel disadvantaged playing when I got stuck in tier 9 matches.  It really isn't that much different than the Tier 8 T32 overall so it is very competive.

FangTheCat #40 Posted Sep 25 2013 - 14:34

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 4523 battles
I suppose the research priorities depend on how you are going to play this tank and what you expect from it.

Personally, I see this as a tank built around the gun and the turret, with the engines being only to get you from one hull down position to the next.

My WoT background is slower tanks, so the ability to zip around is not as important as the ability to dominate ground.

Now if the WoT maps ever get bigger, then engine power will become more important, but with the current maps being quite small, for me, lack of speed/mobility is not an issue, therefore all of my XP was aimed at getting bigger guns and the silver was spent on getting these guns to load faster and aim quicker.

Of course I drive a Matilda, Matilda BP and TOG and I have driven the four Churchill (5 if you count that POS that is the CGC) variants, so lack of speed doesn’t worry me.

Also tagged with T29, Grind

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users