Detail Page: Spotting Mechanics

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

2spd #21 Posted Apr 03 2015 - 15:16

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 9413 battles

how about some locked down answers to some fairly simple questions?

1. what affect on spotting does painted camo have?

2. what affect does the camo net actually give?

3. having a crew fully trained in camo, does that stack with net, paint, work independantly of either, or stand alone, and how much does that affect others spotting the user?

4. do scout tanks get any type of camo bonuses? veiw range bonuses?

5, why is there not a "stealth" efficiency number on tanks that would help users determine their chance of being seen, or how much camo they need to invest into?

6.since it seems that camo, in effect , removes spotting range from the enemy, when in use, if a tank had 100%crew training in camo, net, paint, and in bushes, or behind them... do all these stack at the same given rate, or is there a lesser benifit from each as you add them into the equasion?

7. off topic. why is there no full user manual for WoT's as for controls, and such... no where have i found how to force a reload on a magazine that is half used... only found out by accident that C does it... 

SirEzioHerzog #22 Posted Apr 03 2015 - 21:22

Sergeant

• Players
  • 8246 battles
  • [SNPAI] SNPAI

View Post2spd, on Apr 03 2015 - 14:16, said:

how about some locked down answers to some fairly simple questions?

1. what affect on spotting does painted camo have?

2. what affect does the camo net actually give?

3. having a crew fully trained in camo, does that stack with net, paint, work independantly of either, or stand alone, and how much does that affect others spotting the user?

4. do scout tanks get any type of camo bonuses? veiw range bonuses?

5, why is there not a "stealth" efficiency number on tanks that would help users determine their chance of being seen, or how much camo they need to invest into?

6.since it seems that camo, in effect , removes spotting range from the enemy, when in use, if a tank had 100%crew training in camo, net, paint, and in bushes, or behind them... do all these stack at the same given rate, or is there a lesser benifit from each as you add them into the equasion?

7. off topic. why is there no full user manual for WoT's as for controls, and such... no where have i found how to force a reload on a magazine that is half used... only found out by accident that C does it... 

All of those have answers. Put in the time and effort to look them up.

As for the last one, maybe look at your [edited]control scheme sometime.

2spd #23 Posted Apr 03 2015 - 22:14

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 9413 battles

View PostSirEzioHerzog, on Apr 03 2015 - 21:22, said:

All of those have answers. Put in the time and effort to look them up.

As for the last one, maybe look at your [edited]control scheme sometime.

really? in a nice neat package like a manual?.... THAT would be the place to put that stuff, together, not scattered thru-out the eithernet

Preddy_ #24 Posted Apr 03 2015 - 23:29

Major

• Players
  • 9629 battles
  • [T-F-Z] T-F-Z

So MUCH misinformation in this thread.

Let's see if we can just get a true understanding of 3 simple terms;

Draw Distance: Though slated to eventually be a 500 meter radius circle, Draw Distance is currently a 1,000 by 1,000 meter square with your tank at the center.

Therefore, the farthest away you can possibly see a tank is 500 meters to the North, South, East, West or 707 meters to the NW, NE, SE, SW (on the diagonal). 

However, if the tank is an enemy and more than 445 meters away it would have to be spotted by an ally tank ! (because... see "Spotting Range" below).

Spotting Range: You can never SPOT (light up / discover on your own) an enemy tank at more than 445 meters (though, as stated above, you can SEE an enemy tank spotted by an ally up to an absolute maximum of 500 to 707 meters (based on direction from you). If your view range is poor enough and the enemy has great enough camo, Spotting Range can be as close as 50 meters. Also, an enemy completely hidden behind hard cover will always be spotted by you if you get within 50 meters of him due to the proximity spotting feature.

View Range: This one is harder to understand because it is more ethereal or "not as real" as Draw Distance or Spotting Range.

View Range has NO relevance by itself, it is only a factor for calculating Spotting Range.

Simply put, your view range minus the camo effect of each enemy tank = Spotting Range for each enemy tank you encounter.

Your Spotting range can never exceed 445 meters no matter how good your view range is nor how bad the enemy's camo is (see "Spotting Range" above). You can, however, SEE an enemy tank SPOTTED BY AN ALLY up to 707 meters away no matter how bad your View Range is or how good the enemy's camo is.

Any questions ?

2spd #25 Posted Apr 04 2015 - 17:19

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 9413 battles

View PostPreddy_, on Apr 03 2015 - 23:29, said:

So MUCH misinformation in this thread.

Let's see if we can just get a true understanding of 3 simple terms;

Draw Distance: Though slated to eventually be a 500 meter radius circle, Draw Distance is currently a 1,000 by 1,000 meter square with your tank at the center.

Therefore, the farthest away you can possibly see a tank is 500 meters to the North, South, East, West or 707 meters to the NW, NE, SE, SW (on the diagonal). 

However, if the tank is an enemy and more than 445 meters away it would have to be spotted by an ally tank ! (because... see "Spotting Range" below).

Spotting Range: You can never SPOT (light up / discover on your own) an enemy tank at more than 445 meters (though, as stated above, you can SEE an enemy tank spotted by an ally up to an absolute maximum of 500 to 707 meters (based on direction from you). If your view range is poor enough and the enemy has great enough camo, Spotting Range can be as close as 50 meters. Also, an enemy completely hidden behind hard cover will always be spotted by you if you get within 50 meters of him due to the proximity spotting feature.

View Range: This one is harder to understand because it is more ethereal or "not as real" as Draw Distance or Spotting Range.

View Range has NO relevance by itself, it is only a factor for calculating Spotting Range.

Simply put, your view range minus the camo effect of each enemy tank = Spotting Range for each enemy tank you encounter.

Your Spotting range can never exceed 445 meters no matter how good your view range is nor how bad the enemy's camo is (see "Spotting Range" above). You can, however, SEE an enemy tank SPOTTED BY AN ALLY up to 707 meters away no matter how bad your View Range is or how good the enemy's camo is.

Any questions ?

yes 7 of them plainly stated above.... i understand terrain, trees rocks, mts ect have an influence upon all these issues.... what i want to know, is HOW, & HOW MUCH each item of camo affects or more accuratly counter affects veiw range. 

when i put coated optics on, for example, it TELLS me 10% bonus to View range, binocs are either 20-25% i forget at the moment... but at least they give a static # to let me know the amount of good they do me.... camo net does not... painted camo does not.... training crew members does not, other than to say that training 1 crew member the effect is spread out to all crew, so if a 4 man crew and only 1 man was trained it would only be 25% as effective....

even searching the forums, there are soooooo many different answers that most are conflicting.... game devs/owners need to give solid answers.

dreadthetread #26 Posted Apr 19 2015 - 19:56

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 3138 battles
  • [ST_RM] ST_RM
Thank you for the guide

GeorgePreddy #27 Posted Apr 19 2015 - 20:55

Major

• Players
  • 14291 battles
  • [L_LEG] L_LEG

View Post2spd, on Apr 04 2015 - 13:19, said:

.... what i want to know, is HOW, & HOW MUCH each item of camo affects or more accuratly counter affects veiw range. 

when i put coated optics on, for example, it TELLS me 10% bonus to View range, binocs are either 20-25% i forget at the moment... but at least they give a static # to let me know the amount of good they do me.... camo net does not... painted camo does not.... training crew members does not, other than to say that training 1 crew member the effect is spread out to all crew, so if a 4 man crew and only 1 man was trained it would only be 25% as effective....

even searching the forums, there are soooooo many different answers that most are conflicting.... game devs/owners need to give solid answers.

OK... start with the innate camo factor of each tank in the game. (Look it up, I am not going to do all the work for you).

I will tell you that the best innate camo in the game is the UE 57 at a factor of 26.9 & the worst is the Waffen E100 at a factor of only .4, that is a HUGE difference. Next to worst is the Maus at 1.4, for example.

Camo PAINT adds 5% to ANY tank. So, if you paint your UE 57, it becomes 26.9 x 1.05 = 28.2 and the Waffen remains .4 (rounded to nearest tenth). so, camo paint on a UE 57 is slightly relevant, but on a Waffen is just for looks.

The Wiki plainly states the value of a camo NET as:

TDs  15%

Lights / Mediums  10%

Heavies  5%

SPGs  (I don't give a rat's behind)

So, a UE 57, painted and with a camo net (when still for at least 3 seconds) goes from 26.9 to 32.5 (a decent improvement), the Waffen goes from .4 to ....   .4 (to the nearest tenth), no real change.

Potentially, camo crew skill is the most important and is best determined by using a camo/view calculator (google) as it is tremendously variable from 2 tenths of 1% (one crewmember at 1% camo skill on a 5 crewmember tank) up to 100% (all crewmembers at 100%).

Camo factor is also slightly affected by improved ventilation equipment, BIA perk & food consumables ONLY if your crew has some amount of camo skill training, it is only slight though even when your crew is 100% camo trained. Using all 3 would add up to a relevant increase.

Hope this helps.

RangerC_231 #28 Posted Jul 01 2015 - 09:18

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 15249 battles

Let's add one more thing to this discussion. Play with a bush by driving up to it slowly with sniper zoom engaged. You will notice that at some point (about 10 m. behind the bush) it disappears. You can now see through the bush but you remain concealed (as long as no part of your tank -- see the Wiki's discussion of shape points -- is showing). When you shoot, however, you lose much of the benefit of the concealment. But when you spot an OPFOR tank, back up and shoot. You are now far enough behind the bush that your muzzle blast is also concealed and you won't be spotted by your target. The Gunner's designated target perk enhances this ability because it keeps the target lit for an additional 2 seconds.

George above, points out that the UE 57 has the best base camouflage value. It is useful for his discussion to illustrate the benefits of adding paint, etc. You should also consider, however, the view range of the tank. If you hide well, and see far, then you have a large envelope in which you may engage the OPFOR tank without being spotted. UE 57, by the way, has a good view range at 320 m. (SU 85B used to have a 390 m. range but was nerfed.) That said, much of the time your TD will engage targets spotted by others, so camo value is most important.

Edited by RangerC_231, Jul 01 2015 - 09:47.

Grendel61 #29 Posted Jul 01 2015 - 18:43

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 40881 battles
  • [XCOM3] XCOM3

"The simplest way of minimizing susceptibility to being spotted is to hide, stationary. There are plenty of bushes scattered around the World of Tanks battlefield,"..

Dude, you make me laugh.  This might have been true a year or more ago.  Today....not so much.

RangerC_231 #30 Posted Jul 03 2015 - 13:30

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 15249 battles

View PostGrendel61, on Jul 01 2015 - 18:43, said:

"The simplest way of minimizing susceptibility to being spotted is to hide, stationary. There are plenty of bushes scattered around the World of Tanks battlefield,"..

Dude, you make me laugh.  This might have been true a year or more ago.  Today....not so much.

WoT is taking global warming into account. Less vegetation.

2spd #31 Posted Oct 18 2015 - 06:55

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 9413 battles

pretty sure i know the answer here, just asking to verify. hypothetically.... if a tier 1 and a tier 10 tank were "looking" for the same enemy, and both had the same base view range,  equipment, crew training.... and terain being equal to both, would they both spot the same enemy at the same distance? does tier of tank have DIRECT affect spotting higher/lower tiers?

if game mechanics are working as i have been led to believe my answer is they would spot same distance, correct?

btw, ty for all the info and help earlier, while it wasn't exactly pinned down, now that ive played and tested some things, i see theere wasnt any way to actually pin it down any better. sometimes i am a might stubborn, ty for patience

Edited by 2spd, Oct 18 2015 - 06:59.

Preddy_ #32 Posted Oct 18 2015 - 14:32

Major

• Players
  • 9629 battles
  • [T-F-Z] T-F-Z
Tier makes no difference.

Ikanator #33 Posted Nov 30 2016 - 11:28

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 6519 battles

View PostPreddy_, on Oct 18 2015 - 14:32, said:

Tier makes no difference.

Yes and no. Higher tier vehicles usually have longer viewing ranges. However, a vehicle's actual tier is not a factor in view range calculations.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users