Detail Page: Fighting Positions.

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

GunnerOIF2003 #41 Posted Nov 04 2013 - 23:39

Private

• Players
  • 3859 battles
Greetings,

I'm a noob of course (just signed up today).  After coming across this post it brought back a heck of a lot of memories since I have 29 years in the Service mostly Army and have been in real combat as well always been in line units (out front, pounding the ground, living in some pretty difficult situations).

Nice job, and again thanks for bringing back some good/bad memories, lol.  My expertise in real life is tactics and strategy working with and over Army companies down to 3 person teams.  Medically retired from Iraq in 2004 as an E-8 in the Army...

Gunner
OIF 2003

Spanktankk #42 Posted Nov 05 2013 - 16:05

Major

• Players
  • 32077 battles
  • [KFB] KFB

View PostKill_Switch, on Nov 04 2013 - 22:59, said:

I constantly find myself outflanked and surrounded by teammates getting themselves killed off, sometimes at an incredible rate. No matter how good you are, or how maneuverable, you can't survive long under these circumstances. It would be nice if everyone would read these articles and try to behave as a team, rather than every man for himself. The teams where people work together are so few and far between.
Played a Pub match on Ruinberg last night.  Me (13-90) and a 62a are the only two that went field (East).  Probed the little town on the hill, and when we saw we were WAY overmatched, we re-positioned, screaming directly into city and got behind multiple heavies to cause HUGE disarray for the enemy.  Helped heavies clean up there, fast...I went and killed the 3 ARTY, and the City heavies drove out to mid/south to surround the "field" enemies that me and the 62a temporarily abandoned.  Had we stayed in the field, we surely would have gotten rolled.  The 62a and I did not exchange messages to "run like hell"..but we read each other's mind.... very rare in Pubbies.

SHD #43 Posted Nov 06 2013 - 02:30

Corporal

• Players
  • 16159 battles

View PostWeaponsCrate, on Nov 04 2013 - 06:14, said:

That's what I tell people all the time on that map from the north side, but the prevailing notion seems to be: "grab as much land as you can before you die" and refuse to pull back to an area where the snipers from the hill behind them have a clear sight.
Theres another tactic that I've used and tried to encourage people to use but to little success, if you start on the left side then you have an excellent defense at A1 and C1.
The enemy will ALWAYS crest the hill at A3, it seems hard wired into everyones mind to go that way and duke it out on the slope for some reason, this strategy takes advantage of that.
First position two to three tanks around the small rock at A1, be sure to hug the left side and not towards the bottom otherwise artillery can hit you G8-0.
Position overlook tanks at C1, be sure to hug the rocks so artillery doesnt hit you, this will give you a good view of A2, if done correctly you can have 4+ tanks guarding that choke point with no enemy except for those on hill capable of hitting you, including artillery.  
If you are the A1 tank you can attack but you are mostly the 'scout', be sure that you and your buddy watch the flank, and have another tank at E1 or D1 to watch B3 for tanks attempting to flank the A1 group.
The enemy on the hill will be funelled and choked with no way to go but back, but they likely won't and instead will try to inch their way forward, and if they rush then they risk bringing all guns to bear on them, more than they already had, the goal is to push them into a stalemate or push them back, let them come to you, NEVER go to them.
Artillery will near ALWAYS support the northern flank, so these positions nullify them and their supporting ridgeline, as opposed to left going north and being shot from- the exit point, artillery, and fire from D7 to A4.

Edited by SHD, Nov 06 2013 - 02:47.

Frostopper #44 Posted Nov 06 2013 - 06:00

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 17417 battles
  • [S0R] S0R
The poster above me:
thanks, the left side of El Halluf was always giving me and our tank companies trouble.

PepperMill #45 Posted Nov 25 2013 - 03:18

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 11391 battles
I think this is the best article of yours I've read.  Meaning it's in the area where I need the most help  :blinky:

lordelamin #46 Posted Nov 25 2013 - 18:52

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 23025 battles
What I dislike is that everyone loves to play hero/peek-a-boom at that hill. I like the above post as it is also what I encourage, but can't seem to get pubbies to engage in. It's very good and works about 85% of the time I've seen it.

The opposite side stratagy I like to employee when we can take the hill top is to let the red team come over the top, and pop them as they come thfrough the gap. Letting the enemy come to you and killing him before he can reorganize seems to be the focus here. They tend to funnel into the hills top gap and are easy targets even if you don't have very good gun depression for hull down. With a few heaveys firing almost point blank, and TD's hiting from the secondary hillside, and a bit of artillery support, it is possible to wreck the reds push forwards by eliminating four to six tanks. You can then carfully swing around the hill and start your assault because the reds won't be able to replace the numbers lost, or engage with the firepower needed to stop your counter push. I have done this before and it can work, but your team has to trust you. Mainly I get told I'm a retard, and they go on to die.

pochnof #47 Posted Feb 13 2014 - 02:02

Private

• Players
  • 4566 battles
  • [PZFOR] PZFOR

View Postpochnof, on Nov 02 2013 - 16:13, said:

i have a lot of planes but no one here sir!

116thcomp.jpg

pochnof #48 Posted Feb 13 2014 - 02:04

Private

• Players
  • 4566 battles
  • [PZFOR] PZFOR

View Postpochnof, on Feb 13 2014 - 01:02, said:

:harp:

VonRiff #49 Posted Apr 20 2014 - 00:39

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 8172 battles

bump

Ironhorse3rd_37th_AR #50 Posted Apr 27 2014 - 21:58

Private

• Players
  • 6090 battles
  • [4FK] 4FK
Great read, reminded me of a lot of things that i had forgotten. More people should read this, it may make the game more interesting and challenging.

jaykay82 #51 Posted May 01 2014 - 17:21

Corporal

• Players
  • 9422 battles

While a lot of pub tankers may not read this, when you do find the rare player who WANTS to get better, and is asking questions, refer them here! Every player that we help to improve is one more player that provides a challenge on the field, and enhances the game for all of us. 

Thanks for the good article and in-depth explanations Chieftan!~

chriscow3 #52 Posted May 13 2014 - 03:02

Private

• Players
  • 1041 battles

View PostGalaxybane, on Nov 02 2013 - 21:06, said:

If you're at 50% health in a heavy tank, take risks like a medium. If you're at 25% health, act like a TD. If you're at 10% health on your superheavy tank, it doesn't matter, for all intents and purposes THINK AS IF YOU WERE A FRAGILE ARTY.

ill keep that in mind :D

rogue_dawg #53 Posted Apr 30 2015 - 14:36

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 11000 battles
Words of wisdom well taken.  Thank you.

Blackhorse_Six_ #54 Posted May 01 2015 - 17:09

Major

• Players
  • 42913 battles
  • [HHT] HHT

View PostThe_Chieftain, on Sep 18 2013 - 18:08, said:

Fighting Positions: Defence and Displacement.

A good and subtle argument for platoons of four ...

Then a platoon could operate in balanced sections and the enjoyment of platoon play would be enhanced by it.

Don't know how I missed the original post - I must have been on the road.

Arsenal_destroyer #55 Posted Jun 04 2015 - 16:56

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 2998 battles

Helpful, great read. I'm reading all these posts, playing and reading/watching more posts/youtubes. There's so much to the game in terms of management of tanks through tiers, XP, research etc... that I wonder if noobs checking this out forget about the fact that this is a team fighting game full of tactics and strategies. I'm new and I love WoT. Chieftan and all other posting, thx for the education. It helps. I don't have to experiment as much and try to find out what works or doesn't work. Experimentation that is even harder by the way, grinding through Tier III and IV in random battles with players of random levels of interest. It's hard to assess what works and doesn't work in that environment.

AXE_Marine #56 Posted Aug 08 2016 - 11:13

Private

• -Players-
  • 3929 battles

Ok, third time trying email is a charm. Using stored energy,slopes and elevation to your advantage. Not like Red Bull but like fighter jets.

Rather than remain in the cone of death, with my TD, while fighting a circling light tank I will attempt to use terrain to exit the cone to a more advantageous fighting positions ie. exit to hard cover for back and/or flanks. You can't outrun the bugger, but you can use the energy within slope to move to good ground and cover.

Secondly, there is ramming, but what other means do you conceive of using energy in a fighting position?

Third, moving from elevated hill to elevated hill and not dumping your energy in the valley between.

My curiosity for this subject originated with jet fighters use of energy in dog fights.

Edited by AXE_Marine, Aug 08 2016 - 11:15.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users