• Please log in to reply
240 replies to this topic

_THUNDER_BOLT_ #241 Posted Dec 31 2016 - 23:49

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 3898 battles
  • [ETKD] ETKD

View Postvancouver_boy, on Oct 13 2013 - 17:43, said:

I never played wot prior to the nerf so I don't know what that was like before. But I enjoy playing arty today as it requires some strategy to keep myself safe and able to hit targets. Some of the strategies described here are good at lower tiers, but as I progress the increases to load times coupled with generally poor accuracy make many of them ineffective. My T8 arty unit takes a full minute to select a target, aim and reload, and since I can only hit 1/3 time on perfectly aimed shots, lobbing shots in the dark are a total waste and any time spent moving around the map means I'm completely useless and vulnerable.

At T8 I can hit the entire map from anywhere(as long as terrain isn't in the way), so as long as I have a good position there is no point in moving around as it just delays when I can start firing, I may as well wait for another target. If I find myself in imminent danger then running means certain death, so I'm better off waiting and preparing to shoot the scout in the face or if it's a heavy at least I get a bit of damage before I go. The corners of the map are still some of the best spots to hide because they are rarely checked (In random matches anyway) and difficult to reach unless the game is mostly lost anyway. Once in awhile someone clears the corners early and finishes me off, but on most maps these still give better angles and are usually well guarded early in the match.

If changes to arty were in the works, I would trade off some damage and/or (especially) range, in exchange for better accuracy, load times, and mobility so that I can support my team better. One of the arty units I had the most fun playing had extremely limited range, which forced me to move around with groups of units so I could still hit targets and stay safe. I could hit targets that no other unit couldt and was able to help my team punch through difficult areas, but with my rear flank exposed I had to be paying attention and moving around constantly to avoid being one-shotted.

Re: lower tiers arty having short range and accuarcy,

Sorry to hear about the previous nerfing, must been real hard. My tier 3 Saxon II can hit the opposite corners of the map, and fairly accuately.  Load time is about 20 secs with trained out crew. If higher tiers aren't better I'll just keep playing this.

Been playing for a week and had a 4 kill game. It's still tough angling a shot around rocks and buildings, but I'm figuring out some angles and if you're patient they stick their nose out.

Hope they don't nerf it. Of course I'm still trying to learn how to run away when it only goes 24 mph, but I'm guessing those old British artys must not have been built for speed. I'm finding it better to get in some unual corner and give them a hard time getting to me, then giving them a 25 lb shot in face. So far at that range it has only taken one, so they'd better come with a friend.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users