Detail Page: Artillery

• Please log in to reply
240 replies to this topic

thedavemister #21 Posted Oct 13 2013 - 12:56

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 25119 battles
Wait,...is that an MkVI or a Tiger or are they one and the same cos I've never heard a tiger called that..

Berk_41Afdva #22 Posted Oct 13 2013 - 13:43

Private

• Players
  • 8560 battles

View PostIceOtter, on Oct 13 2013 - 11:37, said:

Sorry to spoil this "love-in" but I just can't get excited anymore about arty since the nerf.  Bottom line: the arty nerf has turned 85-90% of players into campers and cowards.  The nerf has made 80% of arty pieces functionally useless.  Maybe arty was OP before the nerf, I won't argue one way or the other, but castrating it was not a reasonable answer.  I play arty now to clear the research and earn badges - nothing more.  I used to truly love arty even though my win rates were never far north of 50% - well below my other win rates.  It used to mean something significant to play arty well - but not anymore.  If I get 2 kills in a game playing arty now I am overjoyed - and rarely I get 4 or 5.  Prior to the nerf I could rack up 9 kills.  Castrating arty and nerfing scouting via light tanks are two decisions that Wargaming got badly wrong.  They effectively destroyed two classes of vehicles.  Mediums are the survivable scouts now and arty is a sad sideshow - both classes are now a hollow shell of their former glory.  Give tips all you want on how to play these vehicles - it doesn't make them relevant again.

Amen to that brother. I was a real life arty in the army, forward observer to be precise (dutch army, 41e, second platoon, based in germany in the times the cold war was heating up). I have seen the devistating effect of a direct hit on a (target)tank. In wot I get nowadays, "that one bounced" Bounced??? The moment a shell hits a tank the complete crew will need asparine like there is no tomorrow an the tank will be out of action.

It is funny to read to get closer to the front line. Why? Arty is meant to be in the back. After the complete nerf of arty, the gun laying is a complete joke. it is too little too late. I played arty a lot and loved to scout for arty, but indeed WOT burried both classes after the stupendous nerf in favor of the world of whiners, who won that battle.

It is

Oldson #23 Posted Oct 13 2013 - 13:47

Private

• Beta Testers
  • 17538 battles
That is, of course, if you still play arty.  This year,  arty's teeth have really been pulled.  For example, the Su-5 is now a glorified doorstop.  A Sunday school
class with sling shots can do more damage.  Increasing the number or rounds in your ammo rack and decreasing their volatility is a regretful trade-off.  Having a
large quantity of 'rocks' with which to aggravate the enemy is of no use to your teammates or your XP total.

WoT is still the online game I always come back to.  It's a great time.  Some of us just feel the need to whine.

mecha_Bill #24 Posted Oct 13 2013 - 13:47

Sergeant

• Players
  • 27844 battles
  • [KINGZ] KINGZ
Shorter range is better for time of flight and accuracy, but for some guns, longer range is better for hitting targets behind cover. I find that at extreme range, the shell is dropping nearly straight down, allowing you to hit targets behind buildings. The Bishop is an example of a gun with this characteristic.

Also, so, when arty is aiming in overhead mode, they CANNOT see their immediate surroundings....it's not like sniper mode in TDs. This means that it's up to you to avoid driving in front of an arty and getting accidentally hit. This actually happened twice when I was playing arty. I took a shot and was surprised when no shell arrived in the target area. It had hit a friendly right in front of me. It's not that easy to do since arty has such a high trajectory, but in both cases I was hidden in behind a ridge and the friendly parked above me on the ridge. Don't do that.

General_von_Falkenhayn #25 Posted Oct 13 2013 - 13:56

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 20433 battles
  • [ESPRT] ESPRT
I play arty because it requires the most skill.

We brave artillerists must spot our own targets, take great risks exposing ourselves to get shots and dynamically move from one part of the map to another in order to assist the team where needed.

:trollface:

ke5wtj #26 Posted Oct 13 2013 - 13:58

Private

• Players
  • 17341 battles
  • [-VX9-] -VX9-
I have always been a fan of arty, and my stats prove it, I may not be some Clan wars top player, but i have fun. the Chieftain is right about arty moving with the lines, I've done that with great success before, a testament to that is a battle I had in my Hummel back in Sept. I'd say this was a fairly successful battle:

Victory!
Battle: Steppes 09/27/13 12:51:16
Vehicle: Hummel Experience received: 1,887 (x3 for the first victory each day)
Credits received: 45,573
Battle Achievements: Invader, Raider

All I did was move with the main push, staying a little behind the front lines, behind hills the entire time, till I got around to the cap and ended the battle leaving one left on the enemy team who was trying to hunt for me.

Basically, as an arty, you have to pay attention to situational awareness, and know when and where to go to be successful. And on the note of arty not shooting moving targets, that's BS, cause many times i've killed scouts, mediums, and heavies running full speed across the map by knowing approximately how far away the tank is, about how fast it's going, and in what general direction. Basically the same concepts a sniper has to use to hit a moving target, so no it's not cheating, though many have blamed me when I one-shot them on the run, the key was that they were lit long enough and they drove straight enough I predicted where they would be, and got the kill, fair and square.

GuySenseiRocks #27 Posted Oct 13 2013 - 14:04

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 11520 battles
Whole Hearted Thank You I have been struggling with arty since the dawn of time.

HOTA_CHATON #28 Posted Oct 13 2013 - 14:23

Major

• Players
  • 12163 battles
  • [T0TS] T0TS
It never ceases to amaze me how much people complain about arty as if it were a cancer.  No it's not fun getting hit by them but, they have to be contended with in real life too.

AutobotMech #29 Posted Oct 13 2013 - 14:49

Sergeant

• Players
  • 14346 battles
  • [-BDS-] -BDS-
9) This is related to #2. If you find yourself in a fight for your survival against a scout or medium, 3 time out of 4 you will lose and die. Usually it's not worth the attempt. Instead, find the nearest green guy, and drive at him as fast as possible like a panicked schoolgirl while screaming for help. He may not come back to help you, but If you bring the scout to him, he could scratch your back. You are much more likely to make it, especially in a slow arty, if you're closer to your friends to begin with.

Pure awesome sauce sir, I laughed out my breakfast.

Teflon #30 Posted Oct 13 2013 - 14:52

Corporal

• Players
  • 43250 battles
  • [LEAP] LEAP
I had all the hi tier arty you could get , sold most. This arty love fest is pure B.S.  WG ruined arty for some unknown reason ( the one that comes to mind is that the children did not like it , so to boost profits WG made it a poor cousin to tanks and TD's. Enjoy your written love fest , arty still plays like crap. Ok brothers flame away believe me , I can take it. No matter how much you pump arty up , it does not play like it use to , and that's the real problem , new players can't know that.

otacon237 #31 Posted Oct 13 2013 - 15:02

Major

• Players
  • 22559 battles
props to chieftain for doing his best to help out hapless pub noobs with this miniseries. this isn't anything an experienced player wouldn't know about, but i applaud any effort to increase the skill average of the playerbase.
i suggest those looking to get into arty try using Melty's reticle mod, it adds a lot of new functionality like angle of trajectory and flight time. it does show new information, similar to xvm, but afaik WG has approved the mod

Edited by otacon237, Oct 13 2013 - 15:17.

jkjn #32 Posted Oct 13 2013 - 15:20

Sergeant

• Players
  • 17287 battles
Following theses common sense guidelines posted its possible to be 50% WR with arty.
Biggest problem with arty nerf is your now a high tier member on your team and enemy has just high tier tanks..
This means enemy team has a faster load time and more mobility then you having a high teir arty on your team, when MM deals this scenario combined with map like Himmeldor is what I see as the biggest problem with recent arty nerf..

thejoedude #33 Posted Oct 13 2013 - 15:27

Corporal

• Players
  • 8723 battles
"To Discuss on Forum Press this Inviting Orange Button"
nice one wargaming  :teethhappy:

MAJOR_BEAVER #34 Posted Oct 13 2013 - 15:54

Corporal

• Players
  • 3790 battles
  • [D-M-P] D-M-P

View PostVenteRuma, on Oct 13 2013 - 11:09, said:

I have a few comments about this one as well, both as an experience artillery player, heavy and medium player.   The first one is  that if arti is 'calling' a target, OR you are screaming for help on a target......DON"T FACE HUG and expect artillery to help out!!!   If you are in my impact zone, I'm NOT firing....period, end of story.  I can't count how many times I've killed an enemy AFTER the friendly that was screaming for help was dead....because he was TOO close!!!!  By the same token, if you ARE going up against someone and know that  your own artillery is dead, or is looking at the other end of the map, then face hug them....you could save yourself from being hit by enemy artillery. Minimap, Minimap, Minimap......I can't say this enough!!!!  Artillery players need to know what is going on, including that light that just blipped up on the flank and disappeared.....was he headed to the back???  Could he be a threat??  The other one is for the heavy and medium players.....you know where to hide from enemy artillery....now, how many of you pay attention enough to know where friendly artillery is and whether or not they have the angle?   If you peek, and peek, and peek around that mountain that artillery can't clear.....TRYING to kill that E100/Maus/IS7, etc......what happens if you pull back far enough to let them come around at you???? IF you tell artillery what you want, and what you are planning, they'll likely be zoomed in and ready!  If the other team is hiding artillery safe.....TRY to sucker them around so that they get hammered!!   How many of you have watched as artillery zapped that TD for 30% health....and within the next 5 seconds stuck your head out there to light him again???  Do a QUICK light.....but CAREFULLY because artillery hasn't had time to reload.  Pay attention, or better yet...ASK how long it takes arti to reload.  A good artillery player will know roughly how long their reload is, MOST have mods that tell exactly how long it is.   And lastly......MOST arti players do NOT fire on moving targets!!!   STAY MOVING!!!!!  If you stop, you could die!!!!  At the same time....be ready to track the enemy at least TWO or better yet, THREE times.....IF your artillery is reloaded.  Remember the aim time???  How long will it take a 100% Repairs trained crew to repair a track?? 5 seconds???  So figure 10 seconds to reload.....and then 3-5 seconds FLIGHT TIME....yeah, if you want him dead, track him multiple times.........

i'd have to say that this would have been great things to know when i first started this game.

PRIM0RDIAL #35 Posted Oct 13 2013 - 15:58

Sergeant

• Players
  • 31677 battles

View PostVenteRuma, on Oct 13 2013 - 11:09, said:

I have a few comments about this one as well, both as an experience artillery player, heavy and medium player. The first one is that if arti is 'calling' a target, OR you are screaming for help on a target......DON"T FACE HUG and expect artillery to help out!!! If you are in my impact zone, I'm NOT firing....period, end of story. I can't count how many times I've killed an enemy AFTER the friendly that was screaming for help was dead....because he was TOO close!!!! By the same token, if you ARE going up against someone and know that your own artillery is dead, or is looking at the other end of the map, then face hug them....you could save yourself from being hit by enemy artillery. Minimap, Minimap, Minimap......I can't say this enough!!!! Artillery players need to know what is going on, including that light that just blipped up on the flank and disappeared.....was he headed to the back??? Could he be a threat?? The other one is for the heavy and medium players.....you know where to hide from enemy artillery....now, how many of you pay attention enough to know where friendly artillery is and whether or not they have the angle? If you peek, and peek, and peek around that mountain that artillery can't clear.....TRYING to kill that E100/Maus/IS7, etc......what happens if you pull back far enough to let them come around at you???? IF you tell artillery what you want, and what you are planning, they'll likely be zoomed in and ready! If the other team is hiding artillery safe.....TRY to sucker them around so that they get hammered!! How many of you have watched as artillery zapped that TD for 30% health....and within the next 5 seconds stuck your head out there to light him again??? Do a QUICK light.....but CAREFULLY because artillery hasn't had time to reload. Pay attention, or better yet...ASK how long it takes arti to reload. A good artillery player will know roughly how long their reload is, MOST have mods that tell exactly how long it is. And lastly......MOST arti players do NOT fire on moving targets!!! STAY MOVING!!!!! If you stop, you could die!!!! At the same time....be ready to track the enemy at least TWO or better yet, THREE times.....IF your artillery is reloaded. Remember the aim time??? How long will it take a 100% Repairs trained crew to repair a track?? 5 seconds??? So figure 10 seconds to reload.....and then 3-5 seconds FLIGHT TIME....yeah, if you want him dead, track him multiple times.........
I agree with this to a point.. maybe to a fault. My differing opinion is when someone is screaming for help while face hugging. I used to be the same as you by NOT firing if they won't back off. But I alert my firing intentions on the radial dial, "attacking ________!" . This can be seen by the teammate as a giant blinking symbol right above his enemy. This tells him I am fixing to drop a 55 gallon drum of wuppass on that tank. It's up to my team mate to move the heck out of the way. One example is a recent battle where my team mate was face hugging and screaming for help. I alerted and fired. Took out the tank but gave my team mate 126 hp of splash damage. This was ok with him since the tank firing was dealing between 300 and 400 damage per shot. Plus he was also trying to hold the enemy stationary for the assisted kill. He still survived to make more kills and got paid for the damage I gave him. Now this cannot go without saying he was an experienced player and knew the game. This is how I operate. In contrast, my last battle had 3 lights harrassing a heavy but making almost no progress. They requested help, I alerted. When I alerted that I was attacking, all three simultaneously backed off and boom. It was glorious. I do not alert that I am attacking unless I am able to fire immediately afterwards. Those who know me, know this and I have never had any complaining about this. Its a war game and if you ask me to fire, be ready to get out of my way. Side note. I have never taken out any team mates with my arty. And the best shot I have had so far is earning my Bombardier badge by taking out two tanks with one shell. And yes, you have to know your arty if you're going to play it well. I have a 49 second reload time and it takes approx 2.5 seconds to cover a 1300 meter shot with a 6 to 8 meter splash zone. I tell my team this before the battle starts.

fish125 #36 Posted Oct 13 2013 - 16:01

Corporal

• Players
  • 7641 battles

View PostIceOtter, on Oct 13 2013 - 11:37, said:

Sorry to spoil this "love-in" but I just can't get excited anymore about arty since the nerf.  Bottom line: the arty nerf has turned 85-90% of players into campers and cowards.  The nerf has made 80% of arty pieces functionally useless.  Maybe arty was OP before the nerf, I won't argue one way or the other, but castrating it was not a reasonable answer.  I play arty now to clear the research and earn badges - nothing more.  I used to truly love arty even though my win rates were never far north of 50% - well below my other win rates.  It used to mean something significant to play arty well - but not anymore.  If I get 2 kills in a game playing arty now I am overjoyed - and rarely I get 4 or 5.  Prior to the nerf I could rack up 9 kills.  Castrating arty and nerfing scouting via light tanks are two decisions that Wargaming got badly wrong.  They effectively destroyed two classes of vehicles.  Mediums are the survivable scouts now and arty is a sad sideshow - both classes are now a hollow shell of their former glory.  Give tips all you want on how to play these vehicles - it doesn't make them relevant again.
Totally agree, used to love playing arty until WG ruined it.

HellscytheDelusion #37 Posted Oct 13 2013 - 16:16

Major

• Players
  • 40265 battles
  • [YOUJO] YOUJO

View PostTwoSpiders, on Oct 13 2013 - 12:19, said:

M41: This gun is abysmal in a lot of ways. It is a Tier 5 and only has a fractional difference in HP Than the M7. ( M7 (140), M41 (230).  The accuracy of the M41 is non existent. I constantly get rounds that land way outside the aiming circle even when pausing several seconds after the reticle becomes it's smallest circumference. If it hits you, you will feel it. At 155mm, the gun has capability, just lacks in accuracy and reload time and aiming time, (Both are POOR). Reload time is 2.4 rounds per minute. Aiming time is supposed to be 7 seconds, however I find it is actually closer to 10. The speed on this vehicle is a multiplier at 56 kph which gives it shoot and move capabilities. In TD mode it has a very good chance at hitting the target. Closer is better.
Yeah, the M41 takes a lot of patience to play with the aim time and shell travel time. I've actually found the accuracy to be quite likable to be honest. After rage-selling my higher tier arty after the big arty nerf, this is the second arty I've picked up to relearn the mechanics. I've that the HEAT can be astounding effective when it hits. That 240mm practically can pen anything it faces other than the T29 from the front. Basically two shots anything with gold XD. HE rounds are quite effective too, personally love the spg.

PrototypeRewired #38 Posted Oct 13 2013 - 16:24

Major

• Players
  • 12529 battles
I can only say this, if you load slow like I do, you don't have the option to move off base. Depending on what your load in times are like you may be sitting at base for up to a minute ( if chat slows your comp down, that can happen ). This is also why I hate malinovka as I have a habit of taking heavy damage before I can even load in.
Theres literally nothing I can do about besides throw more money into my new build, but cash is tight.

ObeseHull #39 Posted Oct 13 2013 - 16:44

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 26288 battles
  • [T-GBU] T-GBU
Whenever a tank, any tank gets within a 1/4 mile of me, I tend to go hunting for it. Regardless if I have help or not. I usually die :(.

Panoptic #40 Posted Oct 13 2013 - 16:51

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 23212 battles
  • [GEMS] GEMS
Can you rank different nations' artillery in terms of:
loading time
penetration
alpha damage
shell velocity
camo values
speed

I have avoided artillery until now but I am thinking about grinding one artillery branch. This information will help me pick the right one for me.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users