Detail Page: Artillery

• Please log in to reply
243 replies to this topic

CannonFodder190 #201 Posted Jun 27 2014 - 04:22

Private

• Players
  • 8535 battles
Thanks Chieftain and the many great replies. You have given me great food for thought on some obvious things that I had overlooked, and other more subtle tactics. As a noob, any such instruction is very much appreciated.

Audie_L_Murphy #202 Posted Jun 27 2014 - 23:51

Major

• Players
  • 56677 battles
  • [FGTVE] FGTVE

View Postcddlbunny0, on Jun 12 2014 - 08:31, said:

. Not bragging, have in American heavies as well. Then you know how hard it is as artillery player to get them

I disagree with your suggestion it's hard to earn high caliber in arty.  I rarely play arty & I have earned 2 in about 20 games of arty.  The only arty I play is the French premium arty.  I play this when I'm either drunk and/or broke.  Of course, I'm playing what I consider the most OP arty (maybe the FV034) in the game.

BTW, high caliber is the easiest battle medal to earn.  I earn at least half of these in a lost cause.  I love high caliber because I earn more in losses because WOT introduced this medal.

stalkervision #203 Posted Jun 28 2014 - 14:31

Major

• Players
  • 68622 battles
 Guys ever watch the flight of close up arty shells that are not direct fire? So ridiculous the arcs they make. They look like a guided munitions arty shell and even those don't do what these can do.. LOL !

stalkervision #204 Posted Jun 28 2014 - 14:34

Major

• Players
  • 68622 battles

View PostAudie_L_Murphy, on Jun 27 2014 - 18:51, said:

I disagree with your suggestion it's hard to earn high caliber in arty.  I rarely play arty & I have earned 2 in about 20 games of arty.  The only arty I play is the French premium arty.  I play this when I'm either drunk and/or broke.  Of course, I'm playing what I consider the most OP arty (maybe the FV034) in the game.

BTW, high caliber is the easiest battle medal to earn.  I earn at least half of these in a lost cause.  I love high caliber because I earn more in losses because WOT introduced this medal.

One can easily clip off at least a couple of arty kills and more without any experience in it whatsoever. :)

cddlbunny #205 Posted Jun 28 2014 - 23:51

Sergeant

• Players
  • 11929 battles
  • [335TH] 335TH

View PostAudie_L_Murphy, on Jun 27 2014 - 18:51, said:

I do not have the premier French gun as that is the only one that I could not get when the package is on sale. Perhaps you should look at the Lorraine and the two French AMX 105s. As for the comment regarding clipping off a couple of kills and earning the medal like they just hand it to you. good luck with that one. No, as for OP artillery, the French AMX AM (the one below the Lorraine 155/50) has a decent kick to it, but have to hold judgement on the French premium until they either have it on sale or have to get it hard way.

Edited by cddlbunny0, Jun 28 2014 - 23:55.

Tullus #206 Posted Jun 29 2014 - 14:57

Captain

• Players
  • 17076 battles
  • [LONER] LONER

View PostAudie_L_Murphy, on Jun 27 2014 - 17:51, said:

Audie, you profile page shows that you have earned 392 High Caliber awards - good job.  Of which, you have earned 3 High Caliber awards while driving a leHF18B2 in 162 games - not 20 games.  You have no High Caliber awards in any other artillery piece - not even the FV304.

Speaking of the FV304...

As far as the FV304 being an OP vehicle, how would you know?  You've only driven the FV304 in 9 games with a 44% win rate.

Navaja #207 Posted Jun 29 2014 - 15:26

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 18428 battles
  • [SPADA] SPADA

Since I started playing WOT and until now, I still heard a lot of players saying negative things against SPGs. Some say "Oh, it's easy playing as arty.. It's just point and click... blah blah blah". Sad to say it's not just "point and click". It take skills and a lot of patience (depending on what type of SPG). I salute and give my utmost respect to SPG players.:honoring:

Long live Artillery!:arta:

Sokolniki #208 Posted Jun 29 2014 - 20:41

Major

• Players
  • 14369 battles

View PostNavaja, on Jun 29 2014 - 16:26, said:

Since I started playing WOT and until now, I still heard a lot of players saying negative things against SPGs. Some say "Oh, it's easy playing as arty.. It's just point and click... blah blah blah". Sad to say it's not just "point and click". It take skills and a lot of patience (depending on what type of SPG). I salute and give my utmost respect to SPG players.:honoring:

Long live Artillery!:arta:

I've noticed that I get compliments from my enemies for good shots more often than I get told down by one... often times the worst I get is a "Yeah. *F* you too arty... :)" which because of the inclusion of smilies, tends to come across as a sort of sarcastic style compliment and I enjoy these as well.  I estimate that only 15% of the responses I get from enemy tankers that I hit are malicious in nature.  Based on poll results and my own experiences in game, I feel that those calling for arty nerfs are just a very vocal minority.

I've had one match where many on the opposing team gave me a salute for my efforts during a match where i almost did more damage than the next three on my team combined and got trolled by the RNG leaving three of my targets on less than 50 HP using the 212A's 203mm.

Edited by Sokolniki, Jun 29 2014 - 20:46.

Navaja #209 Posted Jun 30 2014 - 02:25

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 18428 battles
  • [SPADA] SPADA

View PostSokolniki, on Jun 30 2014 - 03:41, said:

I've noticed that I get compliments from my enemies for good shots more often than I get told down by one... often times the worst I get is a "Yeah. *F* you too arty... :)" which because of the inclusion of smilies, tends to come across as a sort of sarcastic style compliment and I enjoy these as well.  I estimate that only 15% of the responses I get from enemy tankers that I hit are malicious in nature.  Based on poll results and my own experiences in game, I feel that those calling for arty nerfs are just a very vocal minority.

I've had one match where many on the opposing team gave me a salute for my efforts during a match where i almost did more damage than the next three on my team combined and got trolled by the RNG leaving three of my targets on less than 50 HP using the 212A's 203mm.

Good for you Sokolniki. I hope it's like that most of the time though. But during the early stages of WOT, I tell you it was different. Endless debates and discussions here and there about nerfing the SPG or even the point of taking the SPG out of the game (good thing SPGs are still here). So there was like a division/border between the players, the Pro and Anti SPG. You name it, cursing the arty, name calling, etc... Somewhat chaotic, but fun!

Cheers!:honoring:

clippership #210 Posted Aug 19 2014 - 02:36

Private

• Players
  • 10810 battles
  • [DOFD] DOFD

Hello,

I'd sure be glad see a near artillery miss really bounce a tank around, up and down and maybe to the side.  Stories I've read about the Mouse Killer's StuG III unit getting kicked around really makes you feel sorry for those tankers (artillerymen really) and indicate that perhaps our WoT arty is too accurate. Certainly I don't feel threatened in the least by a near miss but I might change my mind if my site picture got crazy for a split second (and then got an adrenaline pump from nearly getting killed)!

P.S. I'm holding out for a truck-based Rocket Unit

USmarkesmen #211 Posted Aug 20 2014 - 02:19

Corporal

• Players
  • 1031 battles
If you move then fire then relocated you have a less chance of being hit or cought in theory 

Sokolniki #212 Posted Aug 20 2014 - 12:22

Major

• Players
  • 14369 battles

View PostNavaja, on Jun 30 2014 - 03:25, said:

Good for you Sokolniki. I hope it's like that most of the time though. But during the early stages of WOT, I tell you it was different. Endless debates and discussions here and there about nerfing the SPG or even the point of taking the SPG out of the game (good thing SPGs are still here). So there was like a division/border between the players, the Pro and Anti SPG. You name it, cursing the arty, name calling, etc... Somewhat chaotic, but fun!

Cheers!:honoring:

I joined shortly after 8.6 dropped... or I switched to arty shortly after 8.6 dropped and spent my 8.5 days in the SU-76 and SU-85b trying to get a feel for the spotting mechanics which, from my research, was the most complex and important mechanic to get a feel for.

So I never got to play in the Arty Infested Queues of the pre-8.6 days... but I do understand the vitriol it created in the community, and why many pre-8.6 arty feel that arty is presently useless... but I also understand, as a player who never got to experience the glory days of Arty, that arty is far from useless, and remains quite potent as I adjusted to what I would later learn to be obsolete guides and went about the process of learning arty through trial, error and observation.

Aside from my HEAT spamming in the M44 (A guilty pleasure... it's like having a BL-10 at tier VI), I still see more positive reactions from the enemy than I do hate.  One driver whom, while unspotted, was hit with my M44's heat while I was aiming for someone who was spotted stayed for the entire match and gave me a "GJ" at the end of the match and openly admitted wanting me on his team over his own team's arty.

Edited by Sokolniki, Aug 20 2014 - 12:26.

USmarkesmen #213 Posted Aug 20 2014 - 13:09

Corporal

• Players
  • 1031 battles
America has some big guns. 

cddlbunny #214 Posted Aug 26 2014 - 00:48

Sergeant

• Players
  • 11929 battles
  • [335TH] 335TH

View PostSokolniki, on Aug 20 2014 - 07:22, said:

I joined shortly after 8.6 dropped... or I switched to arty shortly after 8.6 dropped and spent my 8.5 days in the SU-76 and SU-85b trying to get a feel for the spotting mechanics which, from my research, was the most complex and important mechanic to get a feel for.

So I never got to play in the Arty Infested Queues of the pre-8.6 days... but I do understand the vitriol it created in the community, and why many pre-8.6 arty feel that arty is presently useless... but I also understand, as a player who never got to experience the glory days of Arty, that arty is far from useless, and remains quite potent as I adjusted to what I would later learn to be obsolete guides and went about the process of learning arty through trial, error and observation.

Aside from my HEAT spamming in the M44 (A guilty pleasure... it's like having a BL-10 at tier VI), I still see more positive reactions from the enemy than I do hate.  One driver whom, while unspotted, was hit with my M44's heat while I was aiming for someone who was spotted stayed for the entire match and gave me a "GJ" at the end of the match and openly admitted wanting me on his team over his own team's arty.

Yes, I know that feeling when I first got the French AMX7AM when I got an A43 hiding in the woods at the other end of the board and took him for full strength in one shot. The chap in the SU100M1 was probably not too amused when he thought the position in the glacier in Mountain Pass had him safe when he got one shotted too. Oh, well enough of this, back to the B1 in the current On Track. It is a good feeling when you have contributed to the team effort.

Mydragonsfly #215 Posted Aug 26 2014 - 03:20

Major

• Players
  • 8394 battles
This is one of those threads that should appear in the launcher as a staff "topic of interest", now you just have to find a way to implement such an up-to-date thing into the launcher, and even better the client itself.

SAWofTIME #216 Posted Aug 30 2014 - 12:25

Sergeant

• Players
  • 49175 battles

good post - thanks a lot of dude. Best regards =).

Poonky #217 Posted Aug 30 2014 - 18:51

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 6686 battles
  • [11GD] 11GD

Thank you for this awesome article. Was really enjoying the read, and also most of the comments here today.

I think arty really opens up a whole different side to the game, enabling it to stay interesting once one needs some time from tanking but also for players like myself who (back in the day) didn't have the strongest PC or like me still got slow internet, really enables us, to continue playing wot.

cddlbunny #218 Posted Aug 31 2014 - 18:36

Sergeant

• Players
  • 11929 battles
  • [335TH] 335TH

View PostPoonky, on Aug 30 2014 - 13:51, said:

Thank you for this awesome article. Was really enjoying the read, and also most of the comments here today.

I think arty really opens up a whole different side to the game, enabling it to stay interesting once one needs some time from tanking but also for players like myself who (back in the day) didn't have the strongest PC or like me still got slow internet, really enables us, to continue playing wot.

Some of us still have that experience. We just do not have the capital to do it and just make due with what we have.

huntdeertk #219 Posted Sep 03 2014 - 00:11

Private

• -Players-
  • 38883 battles

3000 battles in 2 months, a lot arty, this is first I have read on how to play. Well done, should have read sooner

Berlorian #220 Posted Sep 03 2014 - 00:44

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 6 battles

Nice post +1

But something you forgot to Mention for Arty that is Very important but many forget about it or dont know but that is to AIM!! ..
Arty can just take random shots on Target. OR If we Actually Aim (like i do now 95% of the time) We can hit specific spots like Engine or ammo rack or other vitals and One Shot many tanks. 
If in Say M40/43 if i just aim at the frontal armour of a Tiger II ill maybe do 400-600 dmg, But if i zoom in and Carfuly Aim for side of engine bay or back Lid on top of engine you can hit same Tiger II for 1000-1800(overkill) Damage 

Also i don't know how many times as arty in my M40/43 ill get someone asking for Fire mission on a target who is 10M infront of them,
then when i tell them it might be Danger close hit, (they still complain if i hit them for FF damage). 
Or if i wait till they die then kill red tank (they again Complain i did not help them) 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users